z

Young Writers Society

The Uber Writer's Block Thread

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 am
ToritheMonster says...

I had writer's block for months. I knew where I wanted my story to go, but I just couldn't seem to be able to get it there- untill I wrote down my plot.

Seriously, people, don't keep our plot in your head. It doesn't matter how good your memory is. Seeing it written down, having something concrete in front of you- it gets the creative juices flowing again. Try it. Just write it down, in a few sentences, or bullets.

If you have the block, and have written down the plot... well, I can't help you much there. Try listening to music, and draw inspiration from the songs. Or try this exercise: Sit on a bus or subway, and close your eyes or pull a hat over them. Tune in to one person's voice. Without looking, create a character for them. what do they look like? How do they act?Where do they work, if at all? Getting all these new characters is often exciting to me. Helps me write more.

Hope that helped!
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm
KitxKat says...

I hate my characters. Or my characters hate me
They a;ways turn into selfish brats that I can't work with.
I keep shutting these blocks, which makes me mad
When life hands you a BAD ROMANCE, pick up your TELEPHONE, call ALEJANDRO and JUST DANCE!

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm
chachagirl919 says...

If I am having trouble starting a story, I write it many different ways. I leave it a week (sometimes hard to do) and come back. Whichever seem the most appropriate for my story becomes the way that I write it.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:03 am
tuckerluvr says...

For me, when I go to sleep I play a "movie" of it in my head. (using characters, setting, etc to see that it looks like all together while your not writing). It usually works.
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:44 pm
aweqs says...

when i first came to yws, i had awful writers block (i still get it now, but i had had it for a year?!?)
i met some really cool people in the chatroom, and learnt about 'WordWars"
And this really helped me!
Basically, word wars are a 'game' amongst as many chatters as you want.
You start the timer off, and see how much you can write in a certain amount of time.
Im awful at it, but atleast i get SOMETHING done!
So yeah, check out the chatroom-everyones really friendly, and wordwars helped my writers block a lot!
-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:12 am
EloquentDragon says...

I've never actually experianced writer's block, so I have no idea how you poor peeople feel. There is such a wealth of information out there, don't be afraid to write BIG!
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 am
Shortasaurus says...

So, I get writers block all the time. What I do about it: I set the compostion book down, or exit out of my screen when typing, and I doodle. :) I like drawing. So I draw. I draw the character, or particular scenes that I am fond of. If that doesn't work, I leave it alone for a few days. Then I go back and I read it, to see if the block as been knocked down.
"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased that line."
~Oscar Levant

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
~ Albert Einstein
(heehee about gravitation :P)

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 pm
TigerLily says...

Well usually i'll like set a specific band or artist to a story i'm writing. So when i get writers block i'll listen to them again as i read through it and usually by the time i've read thrrough it, i have an idea.
Or if that doesn't work i just move on to one of my other writing projects, sometimes doing other stories helps me come up with ideas for the original one. :3
Won't You Take My Place?
Burn Your name In The Sky
Will You Call To Me?
Just In Memory

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm
Idraax says...

I wanna give up....on my novel....
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 am
BrooklynWriter says...

Here's what I do:
1)I find all of my dud beginings
2)I read them all
3)Put them away
4)Lay on my bed and blast music
5)Think about everything that I had just read
6)Keep your mind drifting
Then, usually something will come to me.
Good luck.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Don't give up! I'm sure you've come really far and it would be a shame to waste all of that energy and time. Don't give up forever, just take a break. Do you have any other projects you could work on? Any new ideas you want to explore? Ignore your characters for a little while. If you don't have any other ideas you want to explore, writing wise, don't despair! You may just need to take a break from writing for some time and that's totally fine.

Whatever you do, don't force your writing and don't let yourself get discouraged. Maybe your break will last a couple of days, maybe it will last several months. Just focus on other things for awhile and eventually you'll get the motivation to come back to your novel :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 am
Ritehunter says...

I know how it feels to give up on a novel
To me it would be dreadful because of all the planning I have made
but don't give up. A novel is a story with a long middle so
I am sure that many people will see it and wonder "What is this piece?" and go check it out
I could have given up but this site had given me hope because
Googe Docs: Show no views and does not accept comments
Blogspot: So very little views and no comments
Fictionpress: Only one measly views and no comments
YWS: 30+ views and more than one comments

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 am
Salem says...

I have a major case of writer's block. I'm supposed to be using this summer to finish up my novel but...I'm getting nowhere. I have a good, solid outline and a very focused idea, but my manuscript still remains half-done.

I find it very difficult to write when I'm not busy in my outside life. Does anybody else have this problem? I manage to get more writing done when I'm very busy, instead of when I have lots of time.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 am
Tcon says...

I did have one particularly frustrating occasion where I almost lost the entirety of a novel I was/am working on because my computer contracted a mean, mean virus. That was scary; I somehow regained the majority of my Microsoft Word documents by reloading a drive back on the comp after it underwent Geek Squad surgery.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:11 pm
Starhunter says...

I have a problem!! PLEASE someone help....

Okay, so my story is basically this:
The MC, Suprema, is the hero of New Helena. She does pretty well- she's managed to fix the city up quite a bit. She's pretty young, though, and also there's this: she feels very separated. Her alter identity, Eloise, is the kind of quiet, shy person that no one notices, and really, she has so much stuff to do as Suprema she doesn't have time to be noticed. So she really has no friends, no job, no real life outside of Suprema (she does have a boyfriend, but she doesn't spend much time with him- he knows her identity, so he understands, but...) So she feels like everyone loves Suprema, but no one cares about Eloise, about her- that she's no one if she's not Suprema. Suprema is all she has.
So, one day, this "trainee superhero" shows up. His name's Ultraman, and he wants to train under her, so she grudgingly does. The thing is, he's actually being paid by the city's mobs to undermine her operation and get her "fired," as it were. And he manages to do that by slowly and surely taking over her job, until the citizens decide he's the better superhero, and choose him. Eloise feels like all she is (Suprema) has just been taken from her- that, now, Suprema doesn't matter either.

But that's not the problem. My problem is, why would the people pick Ultraman over Suprema? Why not just have both? I need them to pick him over her, but why would they?
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex