Young Writers Society

The Uber Writer's Block Thread

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:27 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

I'm so stuck.

So I'm writing a book, yeah?
I don't plot anything out, but I have an ending in mind, I just let the characters do what they want to do (whether or not I want them to do it).
But they lack any motivation whatsoever.
None.
Zip.
zero.

My characters want to change the entire plot.
Ex:
My protagonist has turned from a mischievous princess into a slightly snobby one that cares about her country way more than the first.

Anyway, should I just rip up the plot altogether and just write and let them do whatever?
I feel that's bad.

Help.
Please.
~Aure
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm
Redbox275 says...

I lack motsvation too. One tip I heard is to get into a routine. Another tip is so just sit dwn and write. Warming up really helps too. I heard it prevents writers block and just helps you convey what's up in your head to paper.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 pm
Redbox275 says...

With me though I am frusterated because I can't think of any way to make my story more interesting, it's just about a girl and a boy going on a date. They go to the movies, run into his parent, he gets embarassed, go for Ice cream and hang out in the park. It seems like a snooze fest. Also I am not sure how to convey their nervous emotions. Like, I said above I have so much time so it's discouraging that I am not doing anyting.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

So, there are three ways to spice up a story:

1- Make more things go wrong. If something starts going wrong commit to the end of it. Don't fix it. Make it keep going wrong. Stop that instinct to fix it, to find a way to make it better. Only give characters a happy ending after they've earned it, after everything in the plot that can go wrong, has, and you can say "yeah things'll be okay now".

2- Amp up the emotions. Add insecurity, racing heart, internal conflict even though everything is going right. Make them not know, make it not a sure thing, make it "well maybe they like me" with uncertainty and/or hope, "they for sure like me", "that's a friend thing what did I do?". Emotions are under your skin and in your muscles and racing in your blood because this is exactly how the real thing feels and you want to experience it.

3- Mix the two. One amped up emotional reaction leads to things going wrong which leads to more amped up emotional reactions which leads to an earned happy ending.

All in all, commit. Commit to showing everything, to going to the heart, to carrying out consequences to their logical conclusions.

You can have absolutely no plot, but if you commit to the emotions and the full scope of them that are possible, then you can still have an interesting short story. If you want a plot, then asking "what can go wrong" helps you build a plot.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:39 pm
TheSilentBagpipe says...

When I get a writer's block I have a couple things I can do.
First, I take a bath and just soak.
Second, I visit my horse Fancy and just sit and talk to her.
Third, I write 12 random story ideas or random sentences on a piece of paper, usually by #4 I have an idea forming *winks*
True courage is being scared to death yet saddling up anyways - John Wayne

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:29 pm
raevynstar says...

I have too many ideas and I can't decide which I should write first. *sigh*

Even if I did choose, I like the ideas in my head, but when I try to write them....no. The dialogue is forced, the chapters are too short, etc.
Why read this? Why not do that thing you always wanted to do?
Go now. Find your passion. I'm sure it's not reading signatures.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:19 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

I've had writers block for at least six weeks now and its driving me crazy. I'm forcing myself to write through it but I'm terribly afraid that it's going to be terrible work. But I guess that's what editing and re-writing is for. This really is terrible and I have no idea where the block is coming from but it is there. Colly, my best friend, is also going through it at the moment and we're both sort of going nuts here. Ugh,
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:36 pm
View Likes
wallacies says...

ShadowPrincess16 wrote:I've had writers block for at least six weeks now and its driving me crazy. I'm forcing myself to write through it but I'm terribly afraid that it's going to be terrible work. But I guess that's what editing and re-writing is for. This really is terrible and I have no idea where the block is coming from but it is there. Colly, my best friend, is also going through it at the moment and we're both sort of going nuts here. Ugh,

Hello! can I just say that personally when I go through writers block the writing is always awful but it's still good to just sit down and make yourself write even if you don't edit it or rewrite it again. Don't get hung up on a piece that isn't working or you don't like because that might just make the block worse!! I wish you and your friend the best of luck in getting over your writers block.
Imagine a sassy photo of Wallace Wells

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:56 pm
backroadstraveler says...

I really want to rewrite a piece of work that I did back in middle school with friends, but have no idea where to start. Unlike other pieces, I know every single thing about these characters- I don't know... like should I even touch the plot? I'm used to discovering how the events impact my characters- leaning about. I don't know how to make it new again
Eggs are scrambled, eyes are addled, and brains should never be eaten

-The Lady Peg

1272 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

@backroadstraveler Do you really?

The thing about rewriting is you discover how little you actually know. Not to mention, the original story is probably full of plot holes, illogical elements, forced reactions, and all the other hallmarks of a story you wrote in middle school. This means when you go to rewrite it now, you'll likely find the story takes on a drastically different plot line.

So pick what elements you like, find a start point, and rewrite as if it's a new story. Sure, you know some things about it, but as you keep going you'll find the surprises in the draft. It's part of rewriting.

Yes, it likely means you'll end up with a totally different story, but it'll still have the same heart as what you started with. Just approach the story as if it's new, as if it still has so much to reveal, and you'll be well on your way to getting a good rewrite out of it.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:01 pm
Keralix says...

Every time I take my idea and start writing it I get a writing block. Even if I write few chapters it all looks like crap. Characters look dumb and unrealisting, dialogue boring and every description is unclear . After that i just lose motivation ...

1272 Reviews

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:52 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Keralix

Try not to care about it. It's hard, but first drafts are meant to be terrible. That's why editing even exists! Nobody does it well the first time (or second, or third, or fourth...), and continuing to write is how you improve.

Of course, that isn't to say you will be doing first drafts that are as bad forever. You will make better first drafts. But you kind of have to write for that. Ira Glass put it really well:

phpBB [media]

That gap— where you know you know you're not doing good work— is actually really a good sign. It means you can get better, you can close the gap between your taste and your skill.

If you want to get better, review. Start to think critically about the works you read (you can start in the lit boards on YWS!) and start to help people close their gaps. Tell people possible solutions that you think will improve their writing, then start listening to your own advice.

Start writing and set yourself exercises. Write some awesome, emotional description. Then write dialogue that sounds like two people with different agendas speaking. Read articles, find advice and techniques you like, then apply them. Self edit, get others to edit, and really keep track of your improvements.

Being a bad writer is a good thing. Trust me. We all start there, and we all go through a really painful period where our taste doesn't match our output.

But that doesn't mean we're stuck there forever. Keep writing, keep editing, and keep reviewing. You'll find your skill catches up to your taste eventually. Just stick with it, fall in love with the learning process, and know first drafts exist to be rewritten into better things.

Good luck.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:10 am
nykolasandrews says...

I've literally had writer's block for 8 months now.
"What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey." -Lemony Snicket

"But I must admit I miss you quite terribly. The world is too quiet without you nearby." -Lemony Snicket

-Nyk

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 am
PrincessInk says...

Writer's block? Well, if you count losing motivation while stumbling into the "sagging middle" of a project :)
always daydreaming, always clumsy

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm
sydthewriter9 says...

I have writer's block to the core I can't come up with anything to write about for my next project

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson