z

Young Writers Society

The Uber Writer's Block Thread

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm
View Likes
Enola says...

Take a long, musing, bath in tapioca pudding. Always works.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:14 pm
Horisun says...

Writers blocks the worst! I've had it twice while writing my current novel. Both times I just turned on music. Listen to it. Then type to the rythem. It sounds weird, but that's what helps me. Until I read through it. Then I cringe despite my friends and family telling me it's awsome. But I keep going. And you should too.
She/Her

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:20 am
Horisun says...

I've been having a case of the dreaded writers block, I have come to a point in my novel that's one of the slowest, but is very important to the plot. I haven't been writing as often, but I'm slowly picking up the pace again, I basically gave myself Chrismas break to take a vacation from writing, but I'll be starting again soon.
She/Her

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:36 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I had a fun time last night with chapter 4: The characters had to get in touch with a wizard, but I took away their mode of communication because it made things too easy or else raised questions as to why they didn't use it earlier. So I came up with a solution to that, but then I realized that with new things I added to the story it may not make sense for the characters to call the wizard anyway.

But then again wouldn't they at least try? I mean, they are running out of options.

Anyway, set it aside for the night because I felt like I was bashing my head into a wall. I'm also unfortunately realizing I'll probably need to go back and fix some things I wrote into the last three chapters. So, you know. Revisions are going *screams* SO WELL.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:48 am
View Likes
tgham99 says...

I feel like I have preemptive writer's block, if that's even a real thing. My trouble is always figuring out how to get a story/poem/etc. actually started -- once I defeat the introductory writer's block, I find that it's easier to keep going after that, but so far I've struggled to overcome the initial issue of getting the ball rolling.
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:39 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

I'm having slight writers block, but its the perfect time to rewrite, my style has changed a bit since last year and the more I rewrite the less blocked I feel. The Finders Chapter Two will be rewritten soon.
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm
View Likes
pelsteam says...

I wouldn't call it writer's block as such, but trying to plot another instalment in the series I'm writing is a nuisance. Too many essential POVs, too many separate timelines and too many things that have already been foreshadowed and kind of need to be included.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 am
yosh says...

I had writers block a while back and it ended in discontinuing my story.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:19 pm
RandomTalks says...

I struggle with writer's block a lot, so I am really glad I found this thread.

As someone who has battled with writer's blocks way too many times in a very short amount of time, I think I have at least some basic knowledge that can come of some use to anyone who is struggling with the same thing.

1. Don't beat yourself up. If words don't come to you, don't stress too much about it. This is something every writer goes through, and overthinking is just going to increase your frustration.

2. Read or watch movies. Find inspiration any way you can. Sometimes, just watching a movie or reading a good book opens the gates of our brains and you will find ideas taking birth once again. Use the inspiration you find out there in the world and bend it and twist it into something of your own.

3. Listen to music or work out or do something that relaxes you. Talk to someone who understands. Sometimes letting go makes all the difference in the world.

4. Write something you are really passionate about. Whatever makes you happy, even if it is half formed and crazy or impossible, just pen it down. Write whatever makes you happy, whatever makes you feel inspired. Its easiest to write when its something you believe in.

5. Write. Everyday. Even if the words don't come to you. Even if its so terrible that you want to hit delete. Write whatever you can, however little you can. But write everyday. This will create a habit and one day you will just break out of the pattern and find your own flow and pace. You will shake lose your writer's block and you will be creating wonders agan with your words.

Juat remember that you are not alone in this. And that this is not permanent. You will beat your block! Just be patient and try to have a healthy, open communication with yourself. Thta way you will be more aware of what's working for you and what's not.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:38 pm
NewHope says...

I am having a terrible time... last month I had planned to reach the start of Chapter 6 and I'm still stuck on Chapter 4! I haven't been writing anything for my book. It's as if my computer is broken and won't let me use that Doc. I write a hundred words maybe once every few weeks if I get inspiration... I write poems every day... random bits of writing and yet my book doesn't come to me... I'm really struggling with this dream that muddles up your mind. Confuses you and throws you back into reality in all harshness. And now I want to add, rewrite... and my ideas aren't fully formed. I sit down and write an event and get 100 words and then instead of about travelling more I say, "He passed a river at noon and the forest by the setting of the sun, setting up camp to its orange rays." It should be an elaborate story about climbing down a mountain. Talking to the Moon. Getting food. Finding a way across the river and setting up the fire before hearing the Moon again. I have so good poems, some bad poems. Really I'm writing 2-5 poems a day. Maybe writing a small piece of 50-100 words once or twice every one or two weeks. Snail pace and I want to show my Mom for her birthday, being almost done and it's in 50 days...

Does anyone have any suggestions...

Considering Random's:

1. That is a big problem of mine that keeps getting stuck on every time. Is it good? I can't express myself with words properly so I want my writing perfect.

2. I always do this but for some reason, it is only sprouting random poems and other stuff.

3. I relax by hiking and my Dad well... isn't very interested in going every week.

4. Like I said I struggle with half-hearted even if I'm passionate.

5. I try and people say my writing is good but I just wish I could write my book instead of random nonsense.

We'll see... I'll try again today... hopefully.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:07 am
View Likes
NewHope says...

Update: Writer's Block is gone. A few tips:

* Keep writing. No matter what. Even a random poem is invaluable if means you wrote something that day. Keep on doing that until you can write your book.

* Remember that you're most probably doing a draft. Don't be scared of drafts. I thought I would be finished but it seems I'll still be moving onto my third draft sometime this year.

* Mix up your reading. I've been reading Horror for a few months now and up until a few weeks ago, I hadn't read anything else. Reading other genres really help. For example, I was reading Dracula and switched to The Hobbit.

* Write because you enjoy it. Talk to other people about your writing, read to them but ultimately you want to write. Not anybody else.

Hope this helps!

Reviews: 3
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:32 am
View Likes
VagueFairee says...

I couldn't write for ages and the biggest reason was stress. I was stressed about work, money and my father being very sick so I didn't have the energy to sit down and do anything creative. Couldn't draw, couldn't write, couldn't read, couldn't even play video games because I was so worried and anxious all the time.

I've only recently been able to finally draw, write and relax again after going back to therapy and talking about my stress and anxiety. My therapist recommended different relaxation techniques and once I was able to finally relax I was able to work on my art and writing.

Now I know therapy can be expensive depending on where you are and it might not be for everyone, but if you're struggling with certain issues sometimes just talking it out does relieve the stress. One relaxation method my therapist suggested was to sit down somewhere quiet and focus on your breathing, then on the feelings in your fingers, on your hands, up your arms, and down through the body. There are probably youtube videos explaining this better but it's a way to meditate that didn't feel too strange for me, and I really struggle with meditation.

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser