Young Writers Society

A Writer's Schizophrenia 4/16/09

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:35 pm
Twit says...

ZOMG. 0.0

Sequels are so much fun! What comes after a Firebrand? Um, Charred? Cinders? Torch?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:51 pm
Brandon1107 says...

What exactly is Firebrand and this series about?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:55 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Lol, Brandon, I'm so glad you asked.

*insert query summary here*

What would you do if your worst nightmare was the only thing that could save your life?

After her father died in a house fire, seventeen-year-old Marcella “Marc” Beauregard shut out the world. But after a near-death experience, Marc is suddenly hurtling back and forth between two worlds – a hospital bed and a recurring nightmare. In this dream world, Marc is suffering from a disease caused by a parasitic darkness with a vendetta against her. In the hospital, doctors try to diagnose the black ink in her blood, the raging fevers, and the sores that will not heal. As the line between two realities begins to blur, one thing becomes obvious: both in the hospital and in her dreams, Marc is dying. Someone somewhere holds the key to her survival, and Marc must find it soon before the sickness takes over completely. But surviving will be harder than it sounds, since Marc’s dark disease is contagious, and the only possible cure is the one thing she fears more than death.

*end summary*

That is FIREBRAND in a very small nutshell.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:52 pm
Brandon1107 says...

I like it :D

Makes me want to read it.

241 Reviews

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:18 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Fabulous, lol. That's sort of what I was going for. Hopefully literary agents will feel the same way.

Well, to give everyone an update, I started a new story based on a dream I had a few nights ago (check out my blog if you're curious) and I'm sort of in love with it. The characters leaped out of my mind and onto paper almost as soon as I figured out their names. They're so real I could almost touch them, and it's awesome. It makes writing a novel so much easier when you've got great characters in your head telling you the story.

Now I just need a title so I can stop calling it, "That new book I'm working on."

FIRESTORM (the tentative title for FIREBRAND's sequel) is going pretty well too. I'm a little bit nervous about it, actually. There's so much that the characters are going to have to go through, and some of it's going to be painful, difficult stuff. I'm not sure if I can write it and write it well. I'm afraid I'll just break down and not be able to get past those parts.

But I guess I'll never know unless I try. :)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:42 pm
Twit says...

Is this the one with the [s]cool[/s] freaky school that I really want to go to? The trailer for it looks so cool, btw.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:45 pm
Angel of Death says...

Well I wish you all the luck with your endeavors! I just think it's so cool that you've finished your book. Hopefully one day my characters will finish there story instead of telling me more and more. Once you know who your characters are, it's really hard to let them go. You can try to start something new and abandon them but then they haunt you. But it's fun when you know your characters, they're like long lost friends.

Firestorm sounds cool for the title of the sequel. Just write and write and write and I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

Good Luck!

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

241 Reviews

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:55 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:Is this the one with the [s]cool[/s] freaky school that I really want to go to? The trailer for it looks so cool, btw.

Lol, yes twit, that's the one. And if I can figure it out and my sister lets me, I'll try to put the TRAILER trailer on youtube so you guys can see it. It's pretty freaking' awesome.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 am
ButterFlyInk says...

Sunshine your my hero <3
When I read your triumps with FIREBRAND, the characters in my mind are pointing at the screen and saying, "If she can do it so can you. Now get you butt in gear and write our story."

Good luck with your writings :)

B. Ink
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

241 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Thanks, Butterfly! And I'm so glad your characters are bugging you, because if they didn't, then I would. :) I firmly believe that everyone on YWS right now could be published someday, and I'm totally not just saying that. :D

Speaking of which, I have another story idea! And yes, this WILL be the fourth or fifth one this month. Sue me.

Basically it's going to the be story of four or five kids who, after a near-death experience (I have a thing for near death experiences, don't I?), can now see angels and demons in the terrestrial world around them. Think City of Bones meets Shadowmancer or Piercing the Darkness. Woot woot. I'm excited. It's going to be intense. And violent. And emotional. And I have no idea how it's going to turn out, but that's okay. :D

So, anyway, I have three stories going at once and my head is probably going to explode. But I suppose that's a writer's life. :)

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:30 pm
Angel of Death says...

I know how that feels. I have over five ideas going and I still keep getting more. It's quite stress-inducing but in the end it'll pay off, hopefully.

Good luck!

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

241 Reviews

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:54 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Update for the new year! :D

I have settled on only two stories for 2009, which is a LOT more manageable than five. So, my current works-in-progress are Firewall (tentative title for FB sequel), and City of Shadows (tentative title for my dystopian/adventure/sci-fi novel about our society's obsession with perfection. Think Scott Westerfeld's Uglies meets Kenneth Oppel's Airborn.) :D

I'm extremely excited about CoS. This is an idea that has been at work in my brain for about two years now. It's the only book my sister has willingly read and kept reading, periodically asking for more. It's my boyfriend's favorite. And it's probably one of my favorites. Firebrand is really special, but CoS is one of those book that I feel like I HAVE to write, because it's that important.

FB's sequel, on the other hand, will be the end of me. It is ripping my heart out, and I'm only like 20 pages into it. I gave my boyfriend a sneak preview of the general story line, and his exact words were, "Nooooo! Don't DO this to me! You hate me, don't you? You really hate me! Whyyyyyyy?!?!"

*wince*

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:56 pm
Sureal says...

Ooh, sequals. Sequals are cool. =)

Sureal: Firebrand isn't on YWS. I don't want to post it on the internet because now that I'm trying to sell it I'm not sure where the copyright/legality issues begin and end. I let TL G-Wooster read part of it over email, however, so if anyone would like to read a few chapters, let me know and I'll send them to you.

I'm really curious. If the offer still stands, I'd like to read part of Firebrand. ^_^ My email is thetruesureal (at) hotmail.com
I wrote the above just for you.

241 Reviews

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

So...due to the amazing craziness of college and trying to finish the book in a month, I haven't been on this site in months.

But! I have news. I finished my book! For those of you who have been around for a really, really long time and happen to remember me back when my username was Samara, this book USED to be called Defective, but now is called City of Shadows. And it is finished.

And it is QUERYING! And it is being read by AGENTS! And it is exciting, because I really, really love this book. Particularly because it's been brewing in my head for two years and it underwent about four drafts.

So...I'm pretty psyched. :)

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm
Krupp says...

Congratulations on finishing it. Wish I could say the same about mine now.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

"We're just all nosy little busybodies."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi