z

Young Writers Society

Writing for Publishing?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am
chocoholic says...

Is anybody on this site writing to get published? Like, maybe you're not posting it here, ut you're writing it and hoping it will get published? I was... I actually sent a novel to a publisher. They regected it and I started another one. I was writing to get published, but I've realised that it would be really hard for a 13 year old to get published.

So is anyone here writing a book they hope to be published? Or maybe you're already published authors.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:30 pm
Firestarter says...

When I first started writing seriously, it was because I had an intense desire to see myself published, with my book in a store. This dream has never left me, but something else came along. I realised I enjoyed writing simply for writing's sake. I no longer write to be published. I'm never sure why I write, but I gain contentment from it and the thought of stopping has never entered my mind. Millions of good things have come out of it -- I've done better at school, I think it's made me a more intelligent person, I joined a site like this, I've made amazing friends.

One day, maybe, if I continue to practice, I might be good enough and hard-working enough to consider publishing, but for now, I'm happy for the rewards writing brings me already.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:51 am
Rydia says...

I've never written solely for the purpose of being published but yes, I'd love to get some of my work published and have made attempts to have it published but so far I've only had short stories and poems published in anthologies so nothing major.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:39 pm
Emerson says...

I've only gotten one rejection so far, and I have the same piece in "publishing purgatory" as I call it. I won't know until, latest, December, whether I was accepted or not.

It's the first thing I'm trying to publish, so I'm pretty proud of myself. It's a short story though, not a book. I'm always hopeful that one day I'll write an amazing novel and get it published but....the cynic in me says never.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 3
Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:51 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

I am currently writing a book and at first it was to get published but as I kept writing publishing seemed to fad to the back ground as my characters came to life. I have yet to finish the book (I don't even have a title) but it's an adventure in itself. Honestly I will try to get it published but I need to get my thoughts straight and write page by page till it's finshed.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:16 am
Jiggity says...

Everything I write, I write with the intention that it be read.

The who, where and why don't really matter, but for what it's worth, yes I want the books and projects I'm working on to be published. I haven't submitted a major piece for publishing though; only short stories. It is on them that I intend to build a platform or profile of sorts before really getting into the serious novel-work.

And for what its worth, a rejection doesn't mean the book you wrote is crap. Only that perhaps you need to work on it more? If you just keep moving from piece to piece after they get rejected, you won't learn anything and more likely then not you'll keep making the same mistakes.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I am very excited about the publishing world, but writing solely to be published? Absolutly not.

So far, I've sent in just one devotion for publication.

Thunder and his pure awesomeness, 1. Other side that I can't think of a name for, 0.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:53 am
Leapy says...

I've always wrote on the intent to be published... which is probably why I have such a hard time writing. I get sidetracked about thinking what my friends and family would say... I had a bad experience with the first piece I tried to write... I printed it all out and had my mom read it (I was like 14...) and the only thing she kept asking was if the mom was based off her (I had made the mom mean) so she like..was giving me a guilt trip over it... -.-;

So I am always terrified about what people are going to say about my stuff that I keep getting stuck and changing things instead of doing what I love- just write.
~*Don't Tear Me Down*~

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:18 pm
Fishr says...

Is anybody on this site writing to get published?

Specifically? *snort* No. I am however writing again after a long lapse of time. I see there's going to be a new edition to the Literary Journal, and I'd began writing for that reason. It would be great if Nate and Brad accepted my short story and thought it was good enough to publish but really, I'm just using the Journal as my crutch to finish a piece that I've starting to have some fun with.

If I get published, sweet! If not, no big thing. I'm not going to go in a corner and cry about it. Just keep doing what I've been doing for a long time.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm
Blink says...

Is anybody on this site writing to get published?

Well, I'm not writing to let it gather dust on the shelf. I love writing; it's what makes me, me. Why would I put so much passion into a novel, one that means something to me, just be forgotten with a slim chance it will be found and published and make billions when I am dead?

The answer?

I wouldn't.

I want to be someone. I have no intention of going through life as a nobody, with a career and alarm clocks. Mock me if you will, but at the end of the day, if you start it, go all the way. You only get one shot at life.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:50 pm
Face Engine says...

I've always enjoyed writing, but I only started writing in my spare time when I decided it would be "cool" to get a story, written by me, published.

Now, though, I write because it makes me feel good.
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

I didn't start out writing to get published. I started as a way to keep in touch with my friend who was moving. (one of those back and forth story deals) Then the story got complicated, so I started writing it on my own and she started another story. Then I changed stories, and toyed with the idea of getting that one published. Now, three stories later, I most certainly want to get published. But writing just for that? I don't know. I want to be read, but that's the farthest thing on my mind when I'm actually writing. My writing has become a part of me, and publishing would be the cherry on top. I love cherries. I want it.
Last edited by Rosendorn on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 pm
lxtmidnight says...

I've always wanted to see myself in print, and I am working hard towards that goal. So I definitely am writing a book right now that I want to be published, but the prospect/possibility of being published is not the only reason I want to write. Writing is a both a hobby of mine, as well as a form of self-expression, and without it...

*shudders*

I agree with RoseyUnicorn; I like cherries as well. XD
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
-Cyril Connolly

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm
.:Elf:. says...

At first I wrote to entertain my self when I did not have a book to read. Then I got more in to it and thought about publishing. Well I'm still editing it but I am gonna try.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:10 am
KailaMarie says...

So I am always terrified about what people are going to say about my stuff that I keep getting stuck and changing things instead of doing what I love- just write.

I always used to do that too, but then one day I decided I would try to write something, telling myself that I wouldn't let anybody read it. It was just for fun. Well, I guess I was feeling brave that day becauase I changed my mind and posted it here. Ironically enough, I've gotten the most and best feedback on that compared to anything else I've written. So don't try to think about who might be reading what you write, and just get involved with the story. you can always just not show it to someone you migth be embarrased seeing it.

:backtotopic:

I really hope I can write a novel someday that gets published. I don't even mind if no one reads it, I would just be overjoyed if I had my name on the cover of a book in a store.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster