z

Young Writers Society

Writing for Publishing?

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:02 am
Sohini says...

Like most here, I started out writing just because I love doing so!

By and by I realized...what if I can put my thoughts in print for everyone to read and share my beliefs? Could anyone ask for more?

So YES I'd love to get published and read by various people...

publishing what you write, is not merely for the sake of a career or so, just think, you can spread and consolidate your ideas to the whole world!! Share your views and let people see things as you do.

But we don't write because we want to get published, it's the other way round: we'll get published because we write. And we write because it makes a part of us.

let our dreams be realized!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:22 am
niccy_v says...

I have the same problem as you Leapy.

I read the acknowledgments in books and everybody is like 'I want to thank my tremendous family who were such a huge support' etc and i'm like... just no. Because i write a lot of romance there is 0 way i am having my family read it, especially because when i sent in a work for the writers workshop i do, it had one kissing scene and my mum yelled at me because now she couldn't send it to family! Which is what i am afraid of for this Literary Journal - i don't write many stories without some element of romance and my family won't really like it. Plus my friends ridicule me for writing - so pft they're never getting acknowledged!

Though in 2009 i am planning on giving one of my books to the local publisher i do a writing workshop at, they specialize in West Australian writers. So i might get somewhere with them and if not, Amazon and get my friends to buy the book once i leave school so they can't laugh at me to my face lol
Last edited by niccy_v on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing gives my life purpose

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:46 am
Prokaryote says...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Because that's a bad reason -- alone, anyway.

But I'm like Jigs; I would like it to be read. It's not as fun if only the author is going to read it.

Not to say I write for other people. That would be depressing. Then you're thinking too much about what the majority would like. And the majority does not rule; it sucks.

Prokaryote

Random avatar

Reviews: 31
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am
W1ldF1r3 says...

To me getting published is that last little step to becoming a good writer. It's like the thing that would be like a certificate of good writing or something.

But out of the millions of people who write books or poetry, only a handfull are published.

Do I want to be published?

Yes, because it's the ultimate acheivment as a writer.

Will I ever be published?

Probebly not, but I still have alot of fun.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 am
Prokaryote says...

W1ldF1r3 wrote:It's like the thing that would be like a certificate of good writing or something.

Haha, don't make that mistake. Tons and tons of crap gets published every year. Being published says nothing about the quality of your work.

Eragon, anyone?

Pork

Random avatar

Reviews: 31
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:03 am
W1ldF1r3 says...

What! Eragon was pretty good, it's that Harry Potter poop (Poop as in I gotta keep this G rated)

Besides if you've got a published book you can stick it under someones nose and say, haha i gotta a published book and you don't haha.

And seriously Eragon's pretty good.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:16 am
Ducati says...

I probably be published after I die :roll:
If I wrote something that I really thought was brilliant, I would submit it, but until then I'm really just exercising my writing muscles, making them stronger.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

What! Eragon was pretty good, it's that Harry Potter poop (Poop as in I gotta keep this G rated)

Can we please not go here? I can't stand Eragon and I think it wouldn't have ever been published or become a bestseller if not for Paolini's parents, but I really don't think we should argue about that AGAIN. I've seen enough.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am
Krupp says...

I used to write for the hell of it, but that's changed. I wanted to get published when I was younger, but even then, I knew just looking at my novellas that they weren't even near good enough to consider sending to be published. So I've been writing for the last decade, steadily improving. I think within the next two or three years, I'll be ready to try to get something published. Probably the novel I just finished, It's in the Blood, or my new one, Keep it Cool.

Honestly, I think no one should try getting published until they've been writing for a year or two so that they've had plenty of time to get the practice required, and be able to really hone their skills first.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

135 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm
niccy_v says...

I write for myself since my recent work blew into flames because I realised I was trying to make people who would read it happy (keep action flowing, characters interesting) and they ended up just... dying. I did not care and so gave up. Heh.

I am going to get published, as long as I can mange to write something PG without violence, gore, romance, language, innuendo or whatnot. Big task but I can manage it. I have a publishing house just begging for submissions, and 80% of stuff is from u/20 and 90% gets into paperback. Sales may not be high but at least I'd be published.
It is small time though, and is mainly just publishing most stuff thrown beneath their noses to get awareness out. But oh wells, I might try next year.... [this year in 4 hours]

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:42 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Haha, don't let the violence and innuendo stop you, niccy. You're probably more likely to get published if your book has that "edgy" factor instead of the butterflies and unicorns. Really.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm
Carlito says...

I'm writing for fun but with the underlying goal of one day seeing it in a store. :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 2
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:16 pm
BugBoyAndy says...

I am a published author. I own my own publishing house for kids and unpublished writers. I love to write for the young people out there, it makes me so proud to see a child or teenager smile and learn something from my books.

My publishing company "Bug Boy Publishing" is a POD service for the kids who want to have a book, for those who need a "first step," to become "known." My goal is for it is to be free-of-charge organization. But sadly, I can't do that without donations.

I love helping young writers become known. If any of you seriously want a story published and available for order at bookstores, just contact me.
Last edited by BugBoyAndy on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children's fiction writer,
Andrew C. Markey
www.bugboyandy.com

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 pm
JabberHut says...

Nope.

Yeeeah--no.

Not at all.

I write for fun. Period. End of story. Countless people have asked me if I plan to be published or take writing as a career. Absolutely not.

First off: My writing may be improving, but I don't trust my writing that well to be sent to 23423 critics and editors and such. I cant' handle the stress. School alone is killing me.

Second: Like I took up drawing, it's fun. In both areas, I have found a logical and mathematical concept which helps me so much. (I'm not a braniac in math, but again, I love the concept.) It's fun. It's a puzzle for me to solve, and I can keep improving and it still will never be perfect.

Third: Critics scare me. (If I haven't said that yet.)

YWS is as close to publishing as I will go. I'm forcing myself to offer an entry for the upcoming Journal, but I know it won't be accepted. If it does, maybe I'll rethink my position. However, the chances for me being published are very slim, and so I fully convince myself there is no chance and that I shouldn't worry about it at all.

People reading this are probably ready to debate. xD But honestly, this is just like performing music. I play flute, and I do it for fun. I don't play and expect being the best out there. I know for a fact I won't make state band (didn't make it 2/2 times), local orchestra's a long shot, and first chair in band is a stress unto itself--I can push myself, but only when I'm ready. I'm not ready. At all. xD

And so, writing for an audience is a big yeah-right like for my flute. If it happens, then cool beans. If not, I expected as much. ^_^

*quits rambling* ^_^
I make my own policies.

135 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm
niccy_v says...

Hm Jabberhut I can't agree more.

I'm forcing myself to submit for the journal, even though since I realised it had to be through a pro editor, I've convinced myself I am never going to get it through.
Better to try and fail than not and wonder.

I have six more journals (if they're going to continue annually) to get myself into.

And I seriously want to be published but right now... not so much. My stories aren't that great

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop