z

Young Writers Society

Horrors of Lecraesa

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 pm
Writersdomain says...

Epilogues?

While laboring over certain, evil scenes in Tears, I've been thinking about writing an epilogue for Flames. Both Flames and Tears are narrated by King Lucien - king of Kalinth who rules two generations after the story in Flames and Tears and who has hte gift of looking into the past. If there were to be any other stories after Tears, one would include him.

I've been thinking about writing an epilogue that included him at the end of Flames, just to finish the story off. I would also want to include this scene with Strick and Jaistin (the one I used for dialogue challenge #1), because the relation between Strick and Jaistin is a direct foil for the character of Coglia in Tears. So... I'm not sure yet, but I might be writing an epilogue in my spare time. :P

If I wrote an epilogue for Flames, I could use something similar for the epilogue of Tears - end it off with King Lucien and his cousin who throws things at him. Hmmm, not sure, but a good idea? I don't know.

Tears of Lecraesa

How is it going? A little better - I'm getting through it scene by scene, though I'm beginning to worry about time constraints already. Eventwise, the end of Tears is in sight, ut I still have tons of character growth to include. Liehne has to give into the Queen and almost kill her son before she regains her memory. Creiha needs to grow up more. I need to emphasize Nalien's hatred for Kalinth so it can come to a breaking point near the end. It's just... overwhelming. Not to mention Strick has miles to go before I'll let him rejoin the group. Grar. I am frightened of the huge task before me...
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:14 pm
Fishr says...

Hehe... Epliogues can be fun. Or possibly not? Guess it depends really. I know I'll have one after Bound for Glory is over. I'm not really jazzed about it either. The Epliogue I mean.

Yeesh. Over. What a horrible word. :x

Me thinks I'll have to take a looksy at Flames. XD
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

563 Reviews

Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:32 pm
Writersdomain says...

fishr wrote:Me thinks I'll have to take a looksy at Flames. XD

I would be overjoyed if you took the time to look at it. :P

UPDATE:

Gah!

Well, I've been writing rather consistently, so things are going well in that respect. Did a little bit more with Nalien and Liehne, actually wrote a Gietan scene! *gasp* And had some fun with Embel and the Queen.

I'm still not happy though. I don't feel like the scenes are flowing together; I feel like characters are changing all the time in ways I don't want; I feel like the entire thing has run wild and I'm holding onto a rope behind it and being dragged through the dirt. I'm following the outline; I'm letting my characters speak, but I feel like I can never keep up with where I need to be. :( The only character who is being remotely cooperative is Strick and he's only four scenes in and is going to be angry with me very soon.

I'm hoping that when I finish Tears and print it off, I'll read the entire thing through and realize that most of claims about character growth and dragging plotline was just my delusionally critical mind, but I'm afraid that perhaps I am right. :shock:

I keep telling myself to let go and let the story be free, but every time I do that, I start noticing pace issues and huge problems with the passage of time.

UGH :x
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

563 Reviews

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:29 pm
Writersdomain says...

UPDATE:

Tears of Lecraesa

Words: 144, 302
Pages: 257 (Holy Cow... I didn't know that until I looked it up! @_@)
Mental State: Uuuuuh - I keep losing my train of thought.

It's going all right. I'm feeling more comfortable with characterization of late, but that's probably because I'm on a Strick scene and he's the easiest one to write for. When I get back to Gietan and the main group, I might descend back into frustration.

The good thing about me having to have surgery in about a week is that I have to miss Government summer school, which means I'll have more time to finish Tears before the summer is over. Perhaps I'm experiencing the effects of divine intervention. ^_^

Excerpt:

“You gave everything for her!” Larckes protested and pulled at the cap to the water skin in his hands.

“But how much can a person give before there’s nothing left?”

Larckes paused, eyes fixed on the unopened water skin before him; slowly, he lowered it to the ground and lifted his head to stare at Strick. He blinked. “I–I… don’t know,” he admitted. “I….”

“And what happens when there is nothing left?” Strick lowered his head to his aching knees, closing his eyes tightly. "Is there such a thing as heartlessness?"

Heh, Larckes doesn't like these conversations. He doesn't know what to say next... :shock:

Flames of Lecraesa

I began my epilogue for Flames - first portion is done. I revamped the narrative for my response to dialogue challenge 1 (which is the epilogue... yeah), and it looks much better than the original, though it still needs some tweaking and a bit more description. (it was actually not descriptive enough!) I think I'll put off writing the second portion and get back to Tears today.

Honestly, I haven't started rewriting chapter 8 yet, though I know what I am going to do with it. Whenever I rewrite scenes, it throws off the chapter divisions and my handy-dandy table of contents... grar.
~ WD

362 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 pm
Fishr says...

My word count is scary. That's all I remember. It's approx. 12,000.

The reason: Most of my characters do not use adjectives. Stupid colonials. :wink:

It looks you're moving right along, WD. Good for you. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

362 Reviews

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:59 pm
Fishr says...

Wow. Retarded double post. But anyway thought you'd like to know that Strick is my favorite so far. :)

563 Reviews

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:54 am
Writersdomain says...

Hee hee, yes, my characters like adjectives.

Anyways, some interesting news. So, many of you know I'm trying to finish Tears by the end of the summer. Well, today my mother informed me we are going on vacation in 3 weeks meaning I will have little writing time and even less time at a computer. The day after I get back marching band starts and my summer is full. So, I have essentially three weeks to get through the majority of Tears. Fun? Depends on how you see it. I had my surgery yesterday, so I'm going to be lying around at home for a long time, giving me time to write. Perhaps this surgery was a Godsend after all.

Tears
Words: 154, 156
Pages: 275
My mental state: panicked

*runs and hides*
~ WD

563 Reviews

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:03 pm
Writersdomain says...

*spoiler warning*

Strick will be back with the main group next scene! *cheers* Tears is going well; the last few scenes were some of the high points of the story and were a blast to write. I'm hoping the story will flow nicely from here on out. I think I've pushed past the character development problems; the characters are acting on their own now.

Excerpt:

Tears of Lecraesa wrote:The boy was nowhere in sight, and the forest was darker than Lusien remembered; wrapping her arms around herself protectively, she strode forward, glancing around anxiously. Something about the stillness of the forest made her uneasy.

A sudden stab of pain struck Lusien in the chest and she gasped, looking down to see the stone of her necklace was glowing bright green; waves of heat rose from the stone, and Lusien clutched it to her chest, the stone burning her hand. “What is going on?” she whispered.

“Something is changing.”

Tears of Lecraesa wrote:Heedless of Sophie’s pleas for Coglia to stop talking and Coglia’s babbling, Strick leaned over Lusien and brushed the few strands of hair away from her ashen, damp face. Blinking back tears, he was about to stand when Lusien’s fingers suddenly brushed his arm. Strick glanced down at her in surprise to see her violet eyes were clouded, but open and glistening with disbelief. “Stricken?” she whispered weakly. “Is that really you?”

“Shh…” Strick silenced her in a soft voice and forced a shaky smile. “You’re safe now.” He laid Lusien’s arm back down at her side and watched as she drifted back into unconsciousness. Quietly, he stood and cast Sophie a pitying smile.

“Miss Sophie, what else do you know? Miss Sophie! Miss Sophie!” Coglia continued to talk, dodging Sophie’s hands which tried to catch him and wrapping Sophie in her own cloak inadvertently.

“Quiet! Coglia, be quiet! You’re going to disturb Miss Lusie. Coglia, stop it!” Sophie whispered angrily, whirling around in a desperate attempt to catch Coglia. Her face was turning a bright hue of red.

Strick smirked at the scene, casting once glance in Lusien’s direction. He tore his eyes from her serene face and, ignoring his throbbing heart, slipped back into the trees.

*sighs* What fun

Current Tears stats

Words: 169, 166
Pages: 303
My mental state: tired
~ WD

563 Reviews

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm
Writersdomain says...

UPDATE

Tears is going okay. I've outlined up to another point and am hoping I will be able to follow this outline more closely. Characters are still bugging me, but it's getting easier.

Words: 186, 856
Pages: 337
My mental state: melodramatic.

This morning I wrote the saddest scene of Tears so far. Excerpt:

Abruptly, the wind dissipated and scattered in all directions, sparks littering the grass nearby the charred remains of speaking stones. The fire was gone. With shaking hands, Lusien held onto Strick a little longer before she stepped back and watched as the color trickled back into his eyes and he blinked. “Stricken…” Lusien whispered in a strangled voice.

She gained no response before Strick’s eyes closed slowly and his knees buckled beneath him; he collapsed to the muddy forest floor. Her entire body trembling, Lusien knelt down beside him. He was on his hands and knees, gasping for air and shuddering with pain from the violet lines burning on his back. Lusien grabbed his hand and held it tightly. “Stricken!” she cried, and he opened his eyes a little. They were clouded and wild; sticks which had been ripped off their branches rained down upon them, and Strick cried out weakly in pain, falling against Lusien. Trembling, Lusien wrapped her arms around him reluctantly and hugged him, lowering her head, the tears running down her cheeks dropping on the back of his head. “It’s all right,” she whispered, holding him tightly. “I won’t let go.”

“I’m sorry,” Strick breathed, his faint voice frightening Lusien. “I shouldn’t have said those things.” He tried to say more, but another shudder cut off his voice.

Lusien squeezed her eyes shut. “I won’t let go,” she wept, burying her face in his damp back. “I won’t let go.”

Rough and wordy, I know, but I was rather proud of the image it achieved.
~ WD

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:54 pm
Black Ghost says...

I envy you. When do you get the time to write so much? :D But seriously, it sounds as if things are going well, and I hope Tears turns out the way you want it to. :P

MM

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:59 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Guess who is scanning and post things? Me.

One day I am going to find the secret to your work ethic and duplicate it.

:wink:

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:00 am
Writersdomain says...

*snuggles* Ich liebe dich!!!
~ WD

362 Reviews

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:08 am
Fishr says...

You know, strangely enough that excert is familier to me.

Very actually. In fact those emotions are so alike it's scary. You see when I had to recreate the Boston Massacre it was a bit troubling because it actually happened. Then when intermixing my fictional characters... I suppose that's why I enjoy HF. If the era is studied enough, the past becomes alive, and it really can sweep over a person, if they let it.

Writing the Massacre was the hardest task I've encountered to date.
kudos for a realistic death scene, Wd.

563 Reviews

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:43 pm
Writersdomain says...

Updates!

Tears of Lecraesa

Two more scenes and I'm on the last page of my outline for Tears of Lecraesa! :D Hoping to finish those two scenes before tonight and then knock off a few scenes on the last page tonight.

I still have to coordinate the last few scenes of Tears though. Hmm. :?

Tears is almost as long as Flames; I have a feeling it's going to be longer. :shock: Characters and pacing are going a little better. I feel like I'm focusing too much on Strick and Lusien. I mean, they are arguably the two most important characters, but I hate to shove Markus, Creiha and some other of my beloved characters out of the spotlight (I don't mind pushing Gietan away; in fact, I would gladly push him over a cliff.) *sigh*

I can't believe how much I've written this past week and a half. I have to keep going though. I want to have at least three days to write the last struggle and the wrap-up scenes, so I have to get lots done tonight, tomorrow and over the weekend. I'm tempted to cut some scenes out of my outline, but that would be cheating. :roll:

Flames of Lecraesa

I've kind of been neglecting it, except when I have to go back in and grab quotes for Tears scenes. Looking through old notes for Flames is extremely fun. I see questions like "Who is Strick?" and "What is Lusien's problem?" and laugh because it all seems so simple and obvious now. *giggles*

To Rise

Okay. *deep breath* To Rise was a story I started a long, long time ago, at least a year before Flames. I was written in alternating first person, and it was... pretty awful. If you thought Flames was wordy, your brain would explode into a million pieces if you read the first few pages of To Rise. I've been toying with the idea and making an outline and seeing if the story has any potential.

My Other Idea

Has no name yet, but I keep getting ideas for another story, set in the same world as Flames and Tears, but not the same time period (many years before). What do you all of think of a character who can't touch anyone because of a spell cast on him? A character who causes pain/kills whoever he touches and dies whenever somebody touches him. And what would happen if the person who cast the spell on him falls in love with him without knowing who he is? I am a cruel person.
~ WD

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 pm
Emerson says...

When can I expect the manuscript of Flames to be in my email inbox? :lol:

Hmmm Your other idea sounds very intriguing to me. although, I think you would have to dig deeper into the 'why' behind the spell. I think too often people say, "Oh, it is this way because of the MAGICAL SPELL OF DOOM!" haha, but you must find a reason for it all, tak? I think it would make something lovely, though. And could a whole novel be worked from that...? I'd enjoy seeing it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln