z

Young Writers Society

Horrors of Lecraesa

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:47 pm
Writersdomain says...

After I finish Tears, I'll have to go searching for a remedy for my MAGICAL SPELL OF DOOM. :lol: ... after I edit Flames and send the first chapters to you, of course. :shock: *hugs*

Random Update:

Tears is officially longer than Flames. *dies* And by a long shot, too. I have about ten scenes before I reach the last struggle and wrap-up scenes and I'm getting very excited. While I'm still freaking out about some character growth issues, I am extremely happy to be nearing the end. ^_^

[spoiler]Excerpts:

Liehne buried her face in his shoulder, her hand drawing out the knife from its sheath. Slowly, she positioned the knife so the blade faced Nalien. Her shoulders convulsing with another sob, Liehne’s hand trembled. His arms were so warm around her. “Nalien,” she breathed. “I’m sorry.” And she plunged the knife into Nalien’s torso, twisting it hard. She felt him lurch in pain and heard a gasp escape from between his lips. Something warm soaked the front of his shirt. Blood.

Slowly, his stiff hands peeled away from Liehne’s shoulders and he collapsed to his knees, staring in shock at the knife lodged in his torso. He cried out and doubled over, holding the hilt of the knife tightly and trying to pull it out. It wouldn’t budge, and he gasped in pain.

Tears coursed down Liehne’s cheeks and she knelt down beside him, “I’m sorry!” she wept, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. “I’m so sorry.” Nalien moaned and fell backwards. Liehne laid him on the grass and stared at his sapphire eyes. They clouded with pain and Nalien’s lips were still parted in shock. He had sapphire eyes. Liehne shuddered; something smashed at the corners of her mind, the floodgate of memory opening. He had sapphire eyes.

Nedrad did not have sapphire eyes. Nedrad had brown eyes and brown hair.

Liehne gasped, leaning over Nalien’s still body and staring with enormous eyes at his face. That was not Nedrad’s face. “My son,” she whispered. “His name was Nalien. He had… sapphire eyes.” Thousands of images flashed before her eyes. Liehne holding young Nalien as he wept into her shoulder. Liehne being chased by sapphire-eyed Nalien down the river. Nalien’s huge eyes staring at her from behind the grating in her prison cell. Liehne’s heart seemed to stop and it sank to the bottom of her chest. “My… Nalien,” she croaked.

A scream burst forth from her throat, and she threw her body over Nalien’s.

Oh drat. :roll:

Strick’s eyes blazed with wrath. “Let her go,” Strick demanded, his voice shaking with anger. The wind behind him began to scream in voices Lusien had never heard, and Lusien trembled at the awful sound. What was happening?

“Let her go?” Hiajan said, and he began to chuckle when the wind shrieked and burst forth from behind Strick, striking Hiajan full in the chest. Lusien dropped to the ground, throwing her arms over her head to protect herself and crying fearfully.

Hiajan was thrown backwards by the wind until his back smashed against a tree and he screamed in pain. The wind tore the grass from the ground, hurling dirt clods, sharp sticks and rocks all into Hiajan’s body which struggled to be free of the tree. The tree’s trunk cracked and it started to bend behind at the force of the wind. Hiajan stopped breathing, the wind crushing his lungs; his mouth hung wide open in a desperate gasp for air.

The wind stopped abruptly, and Hiajan inhaled hoarsely, his back scraping against the bark of the tree as he sank down to the forest floor, falling face first into the mud. Lusien dared to move her arms away from her head and she opened her eyes to see all the grass in the wind’s path had been torn out of the ground. Strick still stood at the edge of the clearing, gasping, his black eyes wide and his face spattered with mud.

I would have let him kill Hiajan, but, alas, that must come later. :D[/spoiler]
Last edited by Writersdomain on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:35 pm
Fishr says...

I know the feeling, nearing the end. It's so grand that you cannot fully accept it until days, weeks or possibly months later. You're finished. XD

For me, I still have to write Book Two! *slapa forehead* It just never ends. But I'm almost finished with Book One... Only took two years, LOL!

I should do another 4 to six hour nighter. :shock: Sleep is your friend. ;)

*hugs* Good work, and I shall drink a mug of ale in your name once you finish. Huzzah!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

563 Reviews

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:11 pm
Writersdomain says...

I FINISHED

And I feel like bawling, but somehow I can't. I think I'm still in denial that it's actually done. :cry:

Flames and Tears Stats:

Flames of Lecraesa
Words: 206, 933
Pages: 392

Tears of Lecraesa
Words: 274, 394
Pages: 492

I... can't believe it's over.

[spoiler]The best part of the end!!

“What do I do?” Gietan asked, blinking in confusion. “Dismiss them?”

“No, you just leave.”

Gietan shrugged. “Okay.” He looked at Markus with a challenge in his eyes, grinned. “Think you’re faster than the king, Markus?” Straightening his cloak so he wouldn’t trip on it, Gietan stared at the giant, green plain before them.

Markus smirked. “I would wager that I am.” Without a glance back, Markus broke into a run, sprinting over the lawn outside the castle. “A king can’t be slow,” he shouted back.

“I didn’t order you to go!” Gietan shouted, running after him and almost tripping in the grass. He could hear the sanctuary keeper yelling at him that running was indecent, but he rolled his eyes and kept running. “You cheater, I didn’t say go!”

“Wait for me!” Sophie screamed behind him and tore across the grass. “You can’t race without me, you morons.” She shoved Gietan as she passed him by, and Gietan almost went flying into the dirt. “Haha!” she shouted and raced after Markus, her brown hair flying behind her. Nalien passed him next, chasing Sophie zealously toward the setting sun in the distance.

“You are all acting like children. Get back to this castle immediately!” The sanctuary keeper scolded far behind them, stalking out into the grass with his hands on his hips. “You immature, indecent–”

“I’m running too!” Creiha whipped past Gietan excitedly, running over the lush green grass and laughing uncontrollably. She threw her arms into the air. Following Creiha’s example, Lusien shouted and also burst into a sprint, unclasping her cloak so it fell in a burgundy heap in the grass and pursuing Creiha.

“This is so not fair!” Gietan shouted and halted in his run, doubling over and panting. “I never said go, you guys. You’re supposed to wait for me.” Watching his comrades run ahead of him, their forms rimmed by the golden sun, he heard footsteps near him and turned to see Strick less than a foot behind. Strick closed his eyes and smiled at Gietan, limping past him easily. Growling under his breath, Gietan glanced back at the rear of the palace to see Traez and Kliana standing there, Traez shaking his head in amusement and Kliana digging the heel of her palm against her forehead in embarrassment.

Gietan grinned and, without restraint, sprinted after his comrades.

still rough -when I rewrite, twill have more emphasis[/spoiler]
Last edited by Writersdomain on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm
Twit says...

Wayhay, WD! :D I've never finished a book, but I've finished short stories. What're you gonna do NEXT???
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:25 pm
Fishr says...

My guess is WD will reward herself, and so she deserves it. :)

After realitiy kicks in, time to format both books, unless she's done that already. ;)

Can you describe that feeling to me? Hehe... What's it really like? To feel finished?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

O M G! It's amazing.

"This is so not fair!" HAHAHAHA!

Hugs,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:09 pm
JC says...

That's awesome WD, good luck with whatever you plan to do!!!

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

563 Reviews

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 am
Writersdomain says...

Thanks for all the encouragement! ^_^ It feels strange to be done. Part of me is pining to start editing and telling me that starting something new so soon after finishing Tears would be betraying my beloved characters, but at the same time, I want to try something new with brand new characters and all. Yet I'm terrified to do so. Ah well. :roll:

UPDATE:

1. Flames of Lecraesa: I will start editing it soon, starting where I left off at chapter 8 and continuing from there. Editing Flames is a crazy thing, because the character change so much through Flames and Tears, they feel foreign at times. And Strick is the hardest to keep grounded in the beginning state. He likes irking me by making short little comments that foreshadow or show his changing character.

2. Tears of Lecraesa: I have started dividing chapters - no naming yet. Touched up a little on the end, but I don't want to do any extensive edits until I am done with Flames. Lately, the foil between Strick and Criscialda has been bothering me - I need to clarify it more at the end.

3. The Glaive: I wrote the prologue and started chapter 1. Problem is these are brand new characters which I don't have a good grasp on yet and I am horrible at expositions. Flames had no exposition and by the time Tears rolled around, I knew my character well enough I felt comfortable in an exposition. I'm thinking I should set it aside and edit first, then, when I have a better handle on the characters, continue it. I don't know. *sighs* Or I could just kill the exposition altogether. :smt027:

4. Touch the Wind: I am guilty. I started it even when I had made up my mind not to devote my time to it just yet. Elehna is just so fascinating I couldn't resist. I love her first person style, and her story is great, but I'm still worried about how I would outline it. I could just write the main events in her life and it would be nice and short, but it would mean so much more if I went into more detail about her life. *pouts* And the first line makes me grin: "My name is Elehna Jiastar and I am not ashamed."

*sighs* Enough updates for now. Time to go twitch over The Glaive again.

An excerpt from The Glaive [concerning Cyaran's black gloves]:

“I’m going to get more questions.”

“Yes, you are,” the man said softly, folding his hands in his lap and glancing out the window. “But I can always tell them you are still an apprentice of mine. That should stop them from harassing you too badly.”

Cyaran yawned and lowered his head, running both hands through his dark brown hair. “What should our story be this time, Andreis?”

Andreis chuckled. “Let us say that you got attacked by a cat.”

“I don’t like that nearly as much as the story about me saving a little girl from a fire.”

“Or we could tell no stories and leave them all in the dark this time.”

“Yes, because it’s perfectly normal to wear black gloves just because you feel like it.”

Andreis shrugged. “There are such morbid people in the world.”

*grins* I am fond of Andreis and Cyaran so far, though their personalities are not completely set.
~ WD

531 Reviews

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:08 am

Oooo... I heart Andreis and Cyaran. How exactly do you pronounce Cyaran?

Good luck, hon.

Ta,
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 am
Writersdomain says...

I pronounce it Sye[as in dye]-AR-un. Danke, meine Freunde! *hugs*

I'm torn between the names Cyaran and Cinder for him. :?
~ WD

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:00 am
JC says...

Cyaran =D Cinder sound too much like a dog...
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

563 Reviews

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:46 am
Writersdomain says...

And I certainly wouldn't want my Cyaran mistaken for a dog. :roll:

Due to my experiences editing one scene of Tears today, I have decided to rename this thread Horrors of Lecraesa

And I have started naming and dividing Tears chapters:

1. Chimed
2. Cresting the Fallen
3. Unfading
4. Sanctuary (not sure about this one. :? )
5. Turn

And I know the last chapter is named Some Ashes, and the ending last struggle chapter named Marble.
~ WD

563 Reviews

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:00 am
Writersdomain says...

So, I haven't updated here in a while, but I'm going to now. :)

For my NaNo, this year I am writing a 'prequel' to Flames of Lecraesa, and it's called Children of Lecraesa, spanning over at least 15 years and going up to 3 years before the beginning of Flames. It's going to be an adventure, and I'm a little frightened of starting to write it. :shock:

In other news, I divided up about half of the chapters of Tears of Lecraesa today, and, because chapter titles are extremely fun, I decided to post my current list here. :) If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. Like the Flames chapter titles, most of these are figurative and a little odd, but yeah. ^_^

1. Chimed
2. Cresting the Fallen
3. Unfading
4. Sanctuary
5. Turn
6. Voices Passed
7. Reunion
8. What May Die
9. To Wake the Legends
10. Thine Sanctuary
11. Her Violet Eyes
12. Mausoleum
13. In the Flame
14. To Break
15. Words Unspoken
16. Rust
17. Wilting Tales
18. A Life at All
19. Righter of Wrongs
20. Not to Fall
21. A Last Chance
22. Home is Farther than You Think
23. Princess in the Dark
24. Keys in Red
25. Hunting
26. When Ashes Burn
27. For Love
28. Prophecies in Stone
29. Burning Hiarnim
30. A Hall of Legends
31. A War of Hope
32. Come a Time
33. Lone
34. Forgotten
35. The Poison
36. Storyless

Chapter 36 takes me up to about page 286, so I still have approximately half of the book to divide into coherent chapters, but at least I'm progressing. My favorite chapter title so far is probably either Chimed, Mausoleum or Princess in the Dark.

And I have my second reader for Tears of Lecraesa! My mother (who pleaded with me to read Flames and then got mad about the sad ending) picked up Tears a few weeks ago and has started reading the rough draft. (I pity her) Surprisingly, she likes the beginning. Personally, I cannot stand the beginning. I feel like it drags horribly and like the characters are wandering around with random rants and "Oh, Markus, look, I found a frog! Can we keep it? Oh, but we have to go the CASTLE to do that. Yay! Long journey. Eep! Random bandits jumping out of the trees to attack us!" Okay, so maybe that was a gross exaggeration, but that's how I view the beginning, and then near the end it speeds up drastically, and I fear that reader will go flying out of the roller coaster. Meh.
Last edited by Writersdomain on Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ WD

531 Reviews

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:14 am

Hon,

Love your titles as always. 'Children' sounds like fun. I've just finished a huge proper crit of Chapter 4 of Flames. After getting all my work done for class I am going to start uploading it.

Baiz,
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:19 am
Writersdomain says...

I finished dividing Tears of Lecraesa into chapters. :shock: 63 chapters. Not too bad. Hooray! So, here is the new chapter title list for Tears of chapters. I'll start at 37, because I posted up to 36 earlier. ^_^ It's exciting!

37. First Snow
38. Beyond a Burning Sky
39. From All the Evils of the World
40. Ash to Dust
41. Circles
42. Rain and Shine
43. The Countenance of Hatred
44. Faces Lost to Shadow
45. The Price
46. Ice Shall Shatter
47. Shackles
48. Tangled Souls
49. Shadow in Rose
50. Colder Flames
51. Pallid
52. What is Lost
53. A Wintry Heart
54. Never to be Doomed
55. Emerald Eyes
56. Facing the Fire
57. Broken Chains
58. Marble
59. The Flameless Dragon
60. Lovely Lusie
61. White Flowers
62. The Tears of Lecräesa
63. Some Ashes

I'm still uncertain on a few, but some of the later ones I've had planned since the beginning (such as Marble and The Flameless Dragon). ^_^ The one that bugs me most is Tangled Souls, because I really wanted to name Tangled Strings and Beads or Entangled, but those both didn't sound right to me. :(
~ WD

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11