z

Young Writers Society

Various Ramblings About Why El Isn't Writing

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:35 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Wow. This is a pretty intersting forum thing that I have not previously had the pleasure of noticing. But now I have noticed it. Right when I was reflecting about my writing.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!

So, welcome all, to what will no doubt become the blog of my writing. My writing was feeling very left out because I have a much beloved blog and it doesn't. Frankly I think it was being very immature about it all. But that's writing for you!

I am El. It says so above my rather self-promoting arvatar. Really my NaNo winning attempted was the worst writing ever to show its face on the surface of this earth or any other with life, intelligent or otherwise. But it was a 50k pile of the worst writing to ever show its face on any world. So we can over look that for about another month for the purpose of me feeling good about myself.

I feel I should warn you that I don't have much intention of becoming a published bestselling author within the next three or so months. Not even in the next five months. Not even ... shocking, isn't it? ... in the next year! GASP!

Well, I'm 17. Ick. I feel old. But I am 17. And it's not old. And I just contradicted myself. Excuse me. But I am 17. If I play my cards right, I have a lot more life left. Seems a bit silly to me to start writing like crazy before I have any experience to write about. So I'm going to do fun stuff before I seriously become very serious about writing.

So my writing's blog will probably not include detailed descriptions of how many publishers have rejected my latest work. It will instead most likely contain ramblings about my writing, philosolophical (and I'm not a good speller by the way) musings about why I'm not writing and creative imaginings about what I would be writing if I was in fact writing.

All of this will be said in the most words possible. I don't know why. It's a thing I seem to have. You know. Never use a sentence when you can ramble for a page. It's horrible doing short stories for school, let me tell you. You're not supposed to go over 1000 words or whatever, but I do that before I've even properly introduced the main character. I automatically build for a novel for some inexplainable reason. You probably noticed that this whole thing is ridiculously long. Sorry. Frankly I'm a little bored at present.

Am I misusing the forum?

Ok, shall I introduce my various writings which are not in fact currently being written?

Magic for Dummies. My only ever successful attempt at a short story. *wistful sigh* I first wrote it when I was eleven. Then I reworte it the year before last, much better. And I've always meant to write more short stories with the same characters, make sort of a collection of them, but I've never been able to do the short story thing again properly. I'm working on that.

Basically this pixie (Sally, thinks she knows everything and judges people constantly) gets into major trouble at school when she attempts to escape a lunchtime detention through the ventilation tunnel things with one of her friends (Roger, the self absorbed elf). They try to get one of those grille things off, but the main character is really bad at magic so the spell goes wrong and the grille grows horns and spikes all over it and turns on them. I liked the characters in it. It's in first person, present tense, which you have to watch so that it doesn't get out of hand, but it displays the main character how I want them to be displayed.

NaNo 05. I'd call it Untitled, but I think it's been taken. This was a fun story. Unfortunately I wrote it into a dead end. But I had fun roaring down the road, and basically only realised there was a dead end when I was bashing my head against it. And I haven't gone back to fix it or rewrite it because ... I don't know. It was this sacred NaNo attempt. I got 36k. I thought that was pretty ... terrible to tell you the truth. I felt absolutely terrible to give up on it. I was ahead of the daily quota thing and everything. Then I just stopped because of the dead end. Yeah. It was a decision I lived to regret. I should have imagined up a wreaking ball and showed that dead end who was boss.

About this story ... well ... a mad scientist sort of guy makes fairies using cloning and genetic modification stuff (yes, I didn't research it. It was NaNo, that's my excuse). But the fairies make a break for freedom. Undaunted, he makes other species. Elves, pixies, golblins. He kept them all secret in this row of buildings he bought. Then his niece comes to live with him after she was orphaned and she's part of this whole world too. Then of course the fairies return. They're pretty desperate. A society surviving on the dregs of another. So stuff happens. It was rather fun. I had a very rough plan, but was basically making it up as I went along.

NaNo 06. Hah. Basically I cheated. I made a diary of some character I made up. I didn't do any planning, and the instant I ran out of things to talk about, I gave her another problem to deal with. She ended up running away from her mum and her Nearly-ex-aunt Kelly with her most hated cousin to her Evil Uncle Greg's place. Actually the last bit I wrote was when her best friend went a bit nuts and attacked this other girl who insulted a different friend. So she had to join in too. Rather interesting thing to do really. The main character (who was called Imagen, but everyone calls her Cindy because she hates Imagen, even though she doesn't really like Cindy either) had some fun stuff though. Like she could get through the back of her cupboard into her cousin's room (who had to move in with her after the tragic breakdown in the marriage of Evil Uncle Greg and hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-aunt Kelly.

Weasle Queen. Both we go into the details of this one I'd better point out that I do in fact know how to spell weasel. These are special weasles. Anyway, this was basically something I made up in my blog when I was bored one day. It's written like a script. I sort of am this Weasle Queen character, who has a serious split personality problem in that she is also a person called Lady Firebird. They set their weasle horde on stuff. Like the smart alec Sleepless Knight who is their favoured Knight, I guess, considering the only other one is Sir Hector (who everyone knows ought to be Sir Ector if he were any self respecting knight). So that's fun too.

_____

Ok, now you are aqquainted with my writings. I generally don't post them. I have several carefully constructed reasons for this, but basically it boils down to me being extremely paranoid that people will be mean to me. I know they won't. But there's no convincing my subconscious mind. It's completely unreasonable. A few weeks ago it made me have a nightmare about some serial killer dumping bodies in swimming pools after hearing an ad on the radio about children accidentlally drowning in backyard pools, and if a serial killer went around knocking kids off everyone would make a much bigger fuss. So I'm not very fond of my subconscious mind at the moment.

So, anyway, if you read all of that you're a fantabulous person.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

I read it xD Interesting.

So my writing's blog will probably not include detailed descriptions of how many publishers have rejected my latest work. It will instead most likely contain ramblings about my writing, philosolophical (and I'm not a good speller by the way) musings about why I'm not writing and creative imaginings about what I would be writing if I was in fact writing.

Who wrote that? You or me? LOL

Woopee, I'm a fantabulous person !!! ^_^

-elein

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:12 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

Weasle Queen, the title caught my attention and I would love to read it.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:13 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Weasle Queen seems fun - looking forward to reading some of your stuff.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

Yay, a title that has 'Queen' in it!!!!! LOL

-elein

221 Reviews

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:06 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Hehe! The Weasle Queen stuff is seriously not serious. I just randomly made it up in my blog. A cricket chirped ... you know, to emphasise the silence? Like this ..

*cricket chirps*

And I made a weasel eat it. And then there was a weasle queen and stuff just happened. I'm thinking I may use it for this scriptwriting NaNo thing that may be happening in July.

GUESS WHAT??? I actually wrote something!

Last night I picked up a pen and a bit of paper and wrote a very, very short story about some guy who tries to give a breifcase to someone at a restaurant, saying it must be kept safe for the sake of the country ... but the person says they've made a mistake because they're a tourist, so they don't take the breifcase and the guy gets shot and the briefcase is taken by some random bad guy. Hehe. It's about 200 words. If that. I was just thinking about that classic scene thing and just had to write it.
--Music and Lyrics

221 Reviews

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 pm
View Likes
Elelel says...

The internet and I have been having issues. So I havne't been able to say that I haven't been writing for a while. But I haven't.

Well. I had to write a story for English. We had a booklet of topics to pick from so I picked the one where you had to be a grandparent talking to your grandchildren. So I set it in 2073 and had the grandma, me, complain about walking to school through fifty feet of snow and other fun things. So you think it's this big dysfunctional yet entertaining family ... then her grandchildren and son leave. Because she's in a nursing home. With no one but the robot nurses to talk to. And they're all vague about when they'll visit her again. Awwww ....

But I got 19/20 for it! Yay! That's my new writing-for-Mrs Cass record. I've got equal to it before with essay type dealies, but not with creative writing. Yay me!
--Music and Lyrics

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:55 pm
View Likes
Lilyy03 says...

Ooh! Your work all sounds really interesting. I look forward to reading some of it!

221 Reviews

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

REASON FOR NON-WRITING, THEORY #1:

I've basically already mentioned it, but I feel like doing some philosolophical musings on my mind and how it works because I really don't know.

The reason is that I'm lazy. That is, I don't want to rush into things. What is this big think where people want to be published when they're young? It's like, ooohhhh Christopher Pauloni can do it! I can so beat him! or something. Although there are many people who got published earlier than him, he's the flavour of the month as far as young writers go.

So I must be lazy. Because I usually love a nice challenge like doing better than someone else. Not that I ever say I'm trying to beat them. But I know.

Or maybe it's just one of my more rational thoughts.

Statistics say I'll probably live til I'm about 70. Drunk driver's and evil-cancer-fairies permitting, of course. Sooo ... why write to be published now when I'm 17? I mean, I have nothing to write about! I haven't done anything interesting to drawn on experience from! You can say all you like that writing is imagination (unless you've heard they ol' Write What You Know saying) but you have to know things first.

ANyway. If I get published when I'm young, the writing will probably be crap in comparison to writing I may do at a later age once I've had a few tries at it. Which will bring my career down, which it bad. Plus I don't give a hoot about being famous, which is the only reason I can see for getting published young and risking bringing down my career later.

Which doens't mean I won't write until I'm older (although of course I'm not at the moment). It just means I won't throw all my work at publishers.

ANyway, I'm 17 and thusly still in my teenage angst stage. A single rejection letter would probably overload my self-pity-chip. And that would not be fun or pretty.

Plus my brain isn't fuilly developed. It's not, you know, until you're early twenties or something. They last things that get put into place are the bits that deal with setting priorites and rish taking. Really it makes a lot of sense when you consider teenagers.

But then again, perhaps I just am lazy. My brother thinks so. He had this big argument with me about me being too lazy to finish a story and get published a while ago. He thinks it's so easy. I don't know if he still feels that way, because he tried to write a story when he got bored in the holidays. He seemed pretty confident he's whoop-my-arse at the whole story-writing caper. But he got bored of it in less than a week and stopped, rather subdued. Poor dear. Always making assumptions about things before he tries them.

Still. I feel as though I won the not-actually-lazy battle because I took on NaNo and won. Tim, that's my brother, could probably do that because he is crazily dedicated to things when he puts is mind to it (currently he's teaching himself gaelic) but it's not about beating him ... *shifty eyes* ...

But I just don't see why I have to rush things.

But all this of course gives me an excuse not to write all the time. Which is why I'm not writing.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Ah, but El, you're already a better writer than Paolini.

...he's the type of person you tack up on your bulletin board to make you feel better when you think your writing is craposity.

No offense to him, or anything. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest