z

Young Writers Society

Jack's Publishing Attempts (Updated)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:03 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, I thought, since I've never had anything published, and since I (probably mistakingly) assume someone else will care about it, I made this thread to chart my attempts to finally get something written by me in some sort of publication.

The only history I have thus far is a poem I sent off to around three magazines; I received two rejection e-mails (one was very nice actually, helped me a lot) and the other magazine never got back to me. I wasn't that fond of the poem, but I just wanted to poke my toes in the proverbial publishing water.

So my aim over the next few months is to write either short stories or poetry, submit them, and get at least one published.

Although Greenjackets was the story I just wrote, it probably won't get submitted for the reason that it's pretty much a rip-off of Sharpe (by Bernard Cornwell). Not exactly, but heavily influenced by. Maybe if I edited it a lot. Maybe. Besides, there's not that many magazines around that publish historical fiction (using the link I always steal off Sureal, duotrope.com).

Jack's Publishing List

Planned/In Progress

Religious fantasy story with early 19th century technology (planning)

Written/Needs Editing

Ready to Submit

Submitted

Greenjackets -- The Rambler -- Rejected -- Sent 22/01/06
Last edited by Firestarter on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:27 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

Wow, you have a busy writing future. Theres nothing nicer than seeing your story in a magasine (well I assume there isnt, I have never been sucessful).
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:45 pm
Shine says...

Best of luck!
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:52 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

heehee, I have to read that when I have time, Jacko.

Oh, and to start Jacko, maybe look for some local publications to start with, and then work up to big publications? That's what I've been doing, anyway. It works, too!

Good luck!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:41 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Thanks for the tips, Bek. I've had three poems published in local anthologies, but I don't really count them because pretty much everyone who enters gets published, and so there's not much failure rate.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:03 pm
Swires says...

Well publishing is publishing - Well done anyway.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Snoink says...

Hehehe! But local stuff does count! Though... hmmm... did you get any money off of it? ;)

When writing queries, make references to the local stuff. Yeah, it's not much but it IS something! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

True, true. The last one was about four years ago, though, so I tend to forgot it ever happened from time to time.

I got no money, no; it was a school-run thing, and we just ran the poems by our teacher and she selected the best ones and they were all put into a local anthology of some other schools. That happened in three seperate years.

That's a very good point about putting it in queries though, Snoinkus, I'll have to remember that.

Thanks!

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:04 am
Myth says...

Although Greenjackets was the story I just wrote, it probably won't get submitted for the reason that it's pretty much a rip-off of Sharpe (by Bernard Cornwell).

I love Sharpe and I've still got to read Greenjackets.

Good luck with getting anything published.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:47 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I submitted Greenjackets to The Rambler, or The Village Rambler, whatever they tend to call themselves (it varies, seemingly). *waits for rejection*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:59 pm
Myth says...

Good luck with it, Jack. I still need to read it but I'm a little lazy this week.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:23 pm
Sureal says...

Good luck :).

Although you chose a hard market to get into. Duotrope gives them 4.8% success rate, based on 21 one reports.

But still, you're a good writer, so hopefully you'll get in ^_^.
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm
Firestarter says...

Yeah. I know it'll be hard to get in to. However, if I fail, I'll go for "easier" places. May as well try the hard places first, right?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 pm
Sureal says...

Ah, but that's the brave way of publishing.

Me? I did it the cowards way, sending my work off to magazines with high acceptance rates ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:43 pm
Poor Imp says...

Firestarter wrote:I submitted Greenjackets to The Rambler, or The Village Rambler, whatever they tend to call themselves (it varies, seemingly). *waits for rejection*

Good luck, Jack. Oy, don't start with that attitude - your writing's publishable, and if they don't take it, someone as good will. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
— G.K. Chesterton