Young Writers Society

LMS VI: Sunny and the Syntax Errors of Doom

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:24 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Sunny and the Syntax Errors of Doom

Sunny’s been waiting her whole life for a fantasy adventure. But she never imagined it’d involve coding…

The premise:
What would you do if you found a mysterious package on your doorstep one day? And if that package had a strange little rock robot? And if your home somehow dissolved into a portal to another world?

Well, if you're like Sunny, you'd take out your questing notebook and jump right into adventure~! =D

(What's that? Adventuring is dangerous? Pfft, not when you have ten years of swordsmanship training and know everything there is to know about fantasy adventures-- wait, what? The only evil creatures in this world are programming errors? Huh. How the heck do you kill those?? >.>)

~oOo~

Get ready for a lighthearted coding adventure with a fantasy twist! ^-^
(Or is it a fantasy adventure with a coding twist? Welp, either way, get ready for some magic, programming, and possibly some bad puns... =P)

Table of Contents
-> Characters
-> Setting
-> Plot

Comments are welcome! ^-^
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:59 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Characters

Sunny Micoracle
The protagonist! Her exact age is kind of wibbly-wobbly right now, but I imagine it's somewhere between thirteen and eighteen. Her appearance is also something I need to determine >.> (perhaps I'll stick a character profile in here if I remember), but here's what I do have for certain:

Sunny's kind of obsessed with fantasy adventures. Books and series like The Lord of the Rings, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Harry Potter, and Aru Shah have basically become a guide for her life... Sunny plans to embark on a fantasy adventure on her next birthday and form a trio of best friends and use what she learns in order to grow her leadership skills and either found her own company or write a bestselling fantasy book. (Yep, Sunny has everything planned out! Of course, who knows if things will go according to plan? xD)

She also has a little notebook with various tips for surviving fantasy adventures. For example, rule #32 is, "Never say, 'What could go wrong?" because something will immediately proceed to go wrong." =P Fantasy books are also the reason Sunny's taken fencing and archery for years. She currently has no experience with programming, other than a vague idea that it's what runs things on computers and devices. Of course, that's going to change. ;)

The robot
Perhaps its name is Robert? Robert the robot, but Bert for short. :] Bert has the capability to run code, and as Sunny will find out, Bert also comes with a handy holographic keyboard which one can use to type code. Slightly unrelated, but I'm undecided on whether to include notes on Java syntax (Java because that's the first programming language I learned T-T Python might be better, but I'm afraid I'm not fluent in it right now xD) or to just make this book about general programming concepts... I'm leaning slightly towards including some Java?? But we'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Various side characters
~will add more later~
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

245 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:04 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Setting

The real world
Pretty much present-day. Nothing much of interest here, except where in the world are Sunny's parents?? I might just make this one of those adventures-in-an-instant things, so her parents have no idea she spent days/weeks in another world... XD
I could possibly have another character come from this world as well... Like Sunny's little brother, or a classmate who gets dragged along, perhaps? Hmm.

The fantasy/coding world
This is where all the fun stuff happens! :]
Sunny's quest will probably start in Parentheses Town and end at Spaghetti Code Mountain, but where she goes in between is still up for change.
~more stuff to come later~
mint, she/her

=D

245 Reviews

Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:13 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Plot

LOL that's right, plot's a thing. >.>

I have historically struggled with plot... but this time, I have a general idea of the major conflict in this book, so I'm kind of hopeful? It's nothing too complex (although perhaps that'll change as I think about this more). But yeahh, so, the main enemy in this book is some kind of Big Bad Bug. (Bug in a coding sense, so basically an evil programming error...) =P And its minions are various other errors like StackOverflowException, missing a semicolon, division by zero, ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, logic errors, etc. Yep, a bunch of fun stuff. (I say that very sarcastically. XD)

I'm also taking some inspiration from Computational Fairy Tales by Jeremy Kubica (loved that book!) in that the main character encounters various other characters and situations that relate to different programming concepts. So each chapter will probably be like a mini-adventure that covers something like loops, arrays, methods, etc. I have some rough ideas for what those adventures could be, but I hope to have some fun plotting sessions sometime where I try to think of more creative things! xD
mint, she/her

=D

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14