z

Young Writers Society

LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:29 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Last edited by Brigadier on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the brigadier rides again!

766 Reviews

766 Reviews

Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:06 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

1.1 - 1,144 words

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
Hal threw down the book in disgust. Humans had such a need to simplify everything that they encountered in the world. The universe was not created in a moment and it was nothing like the heavens when Hal came into being. Those paths of Hell where they first walked when emerging from the colliding of the stars should have made them more understanding to the toils of the human.
At one time, they had wanted to understand the great expanse too, but had retired the notion when first assigned to a war zone on a distant planet.
Human misunderstanding of their own need for understanding was one of the few things Hal enjoyed about humans. It was perhaps almost ironic then that much of their science is inaccurate to the true facts of their natural universe.
Hal picked the book back up, feeling the human feelings again for throwing such an object on the ground. They found their spot in this version Genesis and read until their frustration had climbed to its original position. This time, they managed to set it down gently, saying to themself, “What will humans dream up next?”
Though they were alone and would not want a response to the question, they were still disappointed by the silence that surrounded them.
“You’re alone, Hal. You’ll only ever be alone!” they again said to themself, slamming a hand down on the windowsill. “Reapers are meant to be alone. Why do you want to change this fact of your existence?”
To be perceived as just a human when they were so much more…it was one of the loneliest experiences known to the beings of the universe. This reaper, Hal, was well aware that they were not the first celestial being to walk among the mortals.
Further more, they were far from the first to witness the human process of anguishing over how short lives would be on their little planet. Humans were such curious creatures. Especially in how they chose to waste their time complaining about wasting time in their lives.
They often cursed the entity and idea of Death for sneaking up on them at the worst moments in time. It surely was not Hal’s fault that the last name on the list had overexerted himself during an appointment with someone who wasn’t his wife. The reaper had no understanding for forgiveness of the humans who contradicted themselves in philosophy and practical actions.
There were some humans though that he could not help feeling sorry for when the hand of Death gripped onto their shoulder. As a being that had so often lived their life on the battlefield, Hal knew that many beings died as innocents of the universe. In truth, they had chosen to be sent to this time and this location because it would soon be overrun with death.
When the blood was washed away and the bodies were buried, there were still tasks that mortal undertakers would not be able to complete. Hundreds of thousands to perhaps millions of wars would be waging on and on in different places across the expanses of the galaxy.
Though, for the ones who cursed Death without a thought of what it really meant to call on the gods, Hal often wished to show them the world through their own lens. If only they could show those humans how truly boring it is to be a god. Especially in those moments when they might be wishing for some sort of immortality.
In the rare moments of humor that occurred in the reaper’s life, it recognize and smile at the idea that they were getting tired of immortality. Living lifetime after lifetime was far more boring than a human could imagine.
To that point, Hal did not enjoy living the life of the honorable Hirschel Williamson. Their acting role on this planet, in this budding country where death was around every corner, was to play the part of a human male in the importing and exporting business.
As an actor, Hal was having an average performance as a human. Passing well enough to convince most that they were a mortal, but still having enough oddities to attract some unwelcome attention. They had learned, unfortunately, that their unhuman qualities were being perceived as something less than a proper gentleman. Something that had led to rude advances among inebriated statesmen.
Just that sort of attention was enough to make the reaper want to dive off the edge of the planet and fall into the expanse of space. All until they had the fortune to meet the equally honorable Montgomery Charles Magill. A few fleeting interactions with this human had turned their mind into a series of knots.
A few months ago, upon first arriving in Mecklenburg, Hal had been introduced to the man at a party of the townspeople. One of the council members thought it only natural that an up and coming businessman should be introduced to one of the most talented lawyers in the territory.
The reaper was never one for engaging in relationships. Not with their fellow celestials or with any of the different species on the planet called Earth. Hal acknowledged that many beings of their kind found some attraction in humans. A great number of those with an attraction often found themselves procreating with the humans.
How else would the heroes (and monsters) of legend be created if it were not for the need of the celestial to bed down with the god?
For all of their criticism of their peers, Hal certainly had a hope that Montgomery may feel the need to share a bed.
Their slight interactions at that time could have been excusable as the politeness among gentlemen of high society. But the presence of Magill now, in Hal’s office, was a clear sign of something more. In their thoughts, they had almost forgotten that the lawyer was sitting before them.
All until Magill spoke, calling him back to the present by asking, “Mr. Williamson, are you quite alright? You’ve been standing there for a few minutes looking off into the skies.”
“Yes, I’m alright, Mr. Magill. I just started to answer your query and got lost in my own stresses. What was it again that you came here to inquire about?”
“I’m surprised that you managed to forget in such a short expanse of time. I thought you business fellows were supposed to be the smart ones among us.”
Hal needed to clarify the situation. There was an intense need for them to find out what the lawyer wanted. In this feeling, they stated, “I know you mean no harm to my dignity or to my intelligence. As a friend, I’m sure you’re aware of my tendency to become distracted by beauty in my surroundings.”

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:37 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

It surely was not Hal’s fault that the last name on the list had overexerted himself during an appointment with someone who wasn’t his wife.

WELL THEN--

Obviously love the energy of "Hal was never one for relationships but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked they met Montgomery Charles Magill"

Also, please tell me the next bit is going to pick up with Hal calling Magill beautiful, like that's where this line is going, right?

As a friend, I’m sure you’re aware of my tendency to become distracted by beauty in my surroundings.

766 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:04 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@BluesClues you should know my writing well enough to know that’s exactly where this first chapter is going.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:56 pm
BluesClues says...

heck yes it is 😌

766 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:04 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

chapter 1: hal and monty confirming that the interest is mutual
chapter 2: hal reaps monty's uncle. monty walks in.
chapter 3: hal suffers (enjoys) a lunch with monty.

766 Reviews

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:48 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

1.2 - 1096 words

“Well, Hirschel, there are many beautiful things to look at in this office of yours. I’m sure I could spend hours looking and touching and feeling - and still be left with more to explore,” the lawyer gently stated. He rose from his chair, beginning a slow trip around Hal’s office, letting his slender fingers glide across each surface texture. Just as he had promised to tease in the moments before.
Hal rose from their own seat. They buttoned their suit jacket before crossing the expanse of the room in just two strides. Their visitor had stopped to focus on a tusk from an elephant like creature that Hal had encountered on a foreign planet. Something they just couldn’t resist putting on their shelf of curiosities.
The reaper extended their own fingers, placing them on the broad shoulders of their acquaintance, leaning in as they asked, “Do you want to see the most beautiful thing in this room, Montgomery?”
Their visitor shivered under their touch. He turned his face up to meet Hal. The movement brought his neck even closer to Hal’s waiting lips. Perhaps they would have done something if they were more of a human monster than a celestial being.
The pause - the hesitation - caused Montgomery to pull away from them. He turned around, facing Hal, and returned the practice of running his fingertips over the neat seams of the suit.
There was always this.
Always the testing of boundaries as the inclined persons tried to determine whose company they were in.
“I suppose it is only right for you to call me Montgomery if I choose to call you Hirschel.”
Montgomery’s hands both laid on Hal’s shoulders. His fingers began to slide down further. Not pausing. Not hesitating. Just following their body’s commands as their owner observed the reaper’s reactions.
“Do you want to see beauty or do you want to give me a good argument for why I should not use your Christian name? Especially when it is so much nicer to call you by it than pretending we are just strangers?” Hal asked, grabbing the wrist of one of the wandering hands. The reaper could guess where the hand had been heading to had they not stopped the motion.
“Aren’t you being a bit rough with a thing of beauty?”
He tried to pull his wrist away from Hal, but they only took it as an opportunity to grab ahold of the other hand. They pushed Montgomery’s hands above his head. If they had wanted to, they could have held the man down with just one hand. But - but - they were supposed to be human and humans couldn’t so easily overpower their fellow man.
“The rest of the items in my collection have been around the world ten times over in shipping crates. I wonder how you would compare.”
“Am I an item in your collection?”
“Why don’t you turn towards the mirror?”
“To see if I fit in with the scenery,” Montgomery answered quietly. He likely hadn’t been expecting Hal to be so forceful when he chose to wear those incredibly well fitting riding pants.
“I think you should be more concerned with fitting into those trousers.”
“What’s wrong with them?”
“They’re so tight on you that I have to wonder if you had dirtied all of your own and had to beg a younger brother for a pair to borrow.”
“I don’t have any brothers. This pair of riding pants are from my time in the calvary,” he paused, eying up how their forms fell against each other in the reflection.
Montgomery attempted to wriggle out of Hal’s hold once more. He pushed himself up, lips brushing against Hal’s own, but found himself even better secured against the reaper. It was hard to admit how much he had enjoyed Hal forcefully turning him to face the mirror. Or more, to face the beauty in the room.
The reaper leaned down again. They kept coming closer and closer to Montgomery’s neck. Hal let their skin touch, gently squeezing until the lawyer gasped.
“Do you like what you see of the scenery now?”
“I know I would prefer to be looking at other scenery. Perhaps I should take up your hobby of looking at beautiful men while they lounge in my offices.”
“I don’t think you have as beautiful of visitors as I have had today.”
While still in their hold, Montgomery managed to turn himself around to face Hal. His hands quickly returned to the reaper’s chest and began to make their way back down the forbidden route. This time, Hal let
“Hal, please let me know how you feel.”
“I think you should be able to tell that for yourself.”
“I can feel the physical but I want to know what you truly want from me.”
Hal lifted up Montgomery’s chin. They stooped slightly to match up with the lawyer and let themself melt into the other being. When their lips finally met, after the months they had spent teasing, Hal suddenly felt incredibly uneasy. They released their hold on Montgomery and pulled away to lean on their desk. The reaper ran their fingers over their face, trying to suppress a show of outward emotion. They knew though that their behavior was all together too human for a nonhuman.
“Hirs-Hal. Hal, I want you to look at me,” their lawyer said, making their way to the desk. “I want you to look at me, your thing of beauty, and tell me what has gone wrong.”
Montgomery gently set his fingertips on Hal’s cheek. There was no sign of his previous flirtations - only concerns for the reaper’s condition. Hal wanted - needed - all of this, but they felt incredibly guilty for enjoying even a moment of pleasure. They pulled Montgomery’s palm away from their cheek and rubbed his hand between their own.
“I think it would be best for us to forget what just happened. Put it down to nerves or stress or the odd fraternity among professional men.”
“What if I don’t want to forget what has just happened? What if I have spent every moment since the first I met you with a need to convince you to touch me just like that? What then, Mr. Williamson?”
“Then, I would ask how such a fine gentleman has developed such a bad taste in men.”
Montgomery took back control of his hands (again), forcing himself onto Hal, and pushing them both flat onto the desk as he delivered another kiss.
That was an answer that could satisfy Hal’s mind for now.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:25 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

“I know I would prefer to be looking at other scenery. Perhaps I should take up your hobby of looking at beautiful men while they lounge in my offices.”
“I don’t think you have as beautiful of visitors as I have had today.”

Dang, Hal is smooth.

“Then, I would ask how such a fine gentleman has developed such a bad taste in men.”

Hal :( :/

Montgomery took back control of his hands (again), forcing himself onto Hal, and pushing them both flat onto the desk as he delivered another kiss.
That was an answer that could satisfy Hal’s mind for now.

Okay, good thing Hal let smooching get the better of them.............for now.

766 Reviews

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:31 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

1.3 - 1,277 words

The reaper could have never imagined that all of this pleasure - all this happiness - would have ever happened to them. They were completely consumed by every touch, every breath, every loving moment at the hands of their…
Well, Hal wasn’t quite sure what to call Montgomery. He was certainly more than a friend now, but they still had not technically shared a bed. For now, it was just sharing pleasure and kisses.
The action of pleasure though didn’t last very long between them. Evidently all of those months of yearning after each other had left them both in a state of waiting. In the heated event, Hal had managed to move the pair of them off the desk and onto the soft rug that sat to the side of their office. Now they both lay relaxed with their shirts and trousers twisted around their limbs.
It seemed like a scene out of some terrible romantic work as Montgomery laid on their chest. His hands continued to move back and forth, to and from places where they shouldn’t have been. And further, spreading around the sticky mess that would now be making stains on the insides of both of their suits.
“Montgomery, did you ever imagine that this would happen to us?”
Their lawyer kissed them softly. With all of the roughness in the last few moments of exchange, the softness in both of their actions was even more attractive. Hal felt an overwhelming temptation to pin the beautiful man down on the animal skin rug. At the same time, though, they also wanted to hold on forever and never let go.
The purely human experience of wanting a forever thing.
“I imagined you doing things like this from the moment that I was introduced to you.”
“Oh really? Things like what?”
“Things that are much, much dirtier than what you’ve just done to me. You’ve barely touched the outside of my skin, but there’s still so much of me for you to explore.”
Montgomery rolled onto his back, tugging Hal with him so that the reaper was laying on top of them. The crotches of their trousers rubbed together as the pair tried to assess the feelings of the other.
“There’s time for all of that, Montgomery. As long as you give me the time to explore something that I don’t usually get to have.”
“Hal, have you never experienced love before?”
The reaper turned away with a blush of embarrassment. Before they came to their current position on Earth, the idea of love was something that had never appealed too attractive. As they had noted times and times before. Love, in their mind, was resumed for the gods who wished themselves to be mortals.
“Can I say something without you judging me too terribly?”
“I would never judge you. Even if you told me that you preferred lime in your tea to a slice of lemon.”
“It’s not anything quite as terrible as that. It’s just that I’ve never had anything close to what I have with you.”
“I have loved before, Hal, but do not misunderstand me when I talk about love. I don’t think I’ve ever been in love before as deeply as I am with you.”
“I didn’t think I would ever find love. It wasn’t in the cards for me when I was laying out my life.”
Hal regretted their absolute inability to cry. This was a time when a human man would be crying and laying in the arms of their lover. They should be overcome with the
“If it makes you feel better, I always held out hope I would have a love like this.”
“Oh really? Did you always want someone like me? So gorgeous and strong and completely in control?”
Now it was Montgomery’s turn to blush at Hal’s attraction for him. After the events of the last hour, they would have thought that this attraction was rather obvious. And the reaper seemed to feel that the attraction was rising again in their trousers. Monty obviously noticed it too as he continued his teasing way of rubbing.
“Well, yes, you are what the young ladies might call my type. I knew it would happen to me eventually, falling in love I mean.”
“When did you decide that you wanted to fall in love with me, Monty?”
“That first drink with you. Your hands were so rough and so gentle at the same time. If you had asked me to, I would have left with you right then.”
“I don’t know why you think I’m such a confident man. Though, if you had asked me the same question, I likely would have left that dull affair to thoroughly ravish you.”
Hal pressed up from their position. They left their stomach to drag against Montgomery’s chest. One more kiss was taken, sucking all of the breath away, leaving their partner panting. Their lawyer reached up and tried to follow for another kiss. Instead, he fell backwards onto the rug, still panting as Hal tossed a wash cloth onto the man’s sweaty chest.
“I knew you wanted me, Hal,” Montgomery paused, taking the wash cloth that was offered to him. “I just didn’t know how long I would have to wait on you to make up your mind about when you wanted to have me.”
He slowly got to his feet. Hal could see him trying to steady himself and watched the man sway onto the window sill for support. Montgomery turned around, still leaning against the window, and reached out for a sign of embrace.
“I know you want me, Hal, but would you please remind me how much you want me before I leave?”
Hal took their companion’s chin in their hand, tipping it up and kissing his lips softly. They pressed another kiss as they breathed slowly and said, “There has never been anyone that I wanted more than you.”
There really had been no one before Montgomery. Not those months ago or ten lifetimes ago. Either time would have just been as impossible to recognize what they were experiencing now.
It was another long session of exchanging kisses before Montgomery pulled away. He was still panting and the glint was still in his eyes. But Hal knew that they both were busy men with busy days. They left their foreheads laying against each other as their hands clasped around the other’s back.
Finally, Montgomery broke through their silence to say, “At some point, I really must be going. You weren’t my only appointment for today.”
“I hope that I am your only appointment of this sort,” Hal said as they pushed back Montgomery’s sweat soaked curls. They gently kissed his forehead, letting the man sink back into their chest with a sigh.
“I haven’t had an appointment of this sort for a very long time. Not since I left the army and stopped bathing in the presences of hundreds of other sweaty, muscled men,” Monty trailed off his teasing statement while running a finger over the curves of Hal’s musculature.
Hal was well aware that their physical state was deemed impressive by the human population. It wasn’t the first time that they had enjoyed the sensation of someone trying to determine just how big their muscles were. Usually, though, it was a blushing young lady or a curious gentleman. They weren’t used to it being done in such a way that their companion might as well have been back on his knees and at their member.
“Are you sure you can’t stay for another round?”
“I’d love to, but I will have to be seeing you later.”

766 Reviews

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:44 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

2.1 - 1,129 words

Hal had stayed by the window after their Montgomery had left. They first watched the man leave out of the office door and then followed him along the street with watching eyes. The taste of their lover lingered on their lips until they replaced it with a drink of whiskey from the sidebar.
Montgomery had known to come when Hal’s secretary was out on another engagement. The curious young man would likely be returning soon. Hal looked around the room of their office to determine just how much damage had been done as they and Monty had grappled for control of each other.
The rug on the floor was first aligned to its initial position. A few of Hal’s tasteful prints of wildlife and war battles were put onto a balance. They even took the time to remove a few strands of Monty’s lovely red curls from their jacket. Once the room was sufficiently tidied, Hal sat at their desk to deal with the disrupted stacks of filing.
All until something in the room began to bother than. A very trace of a noise that they hadn’t heard once since their arrival in the town.
“What could they want with me now?” they asked, rising from their relaxed seat.
There was some sort of annoyance in the chifforobe closet. A very light beeping sound coming from the very back of the rack of rarely worn clothing. Hal began to pull the pieces out with a certain amount of frustration. They tossed the assorted garments onto the floor of the office that they had just reshapen.
“Where are you? Damn you! Ah there you are!”
Hal grabbed at a paper wrapping in the back of the cabinet. Of course the one thing they had been seeking would have been at the very rear. They sat the parcel on their desk and with a bit of careful unwrapping determined that this was the source of their secret.
The reaper pulled their device from the pocket of their yellow striped linen vest. Their communication device, disguised as a lever pocketwatch, continued its alarm.
“Something must be happening in the heavens or the hells for them to dare to disturb me,” Hal said to themself, popping open the watch case.
A video transmission appeared before them, trying to take shape despite the low signal strength on Earth. There was something about the absolute lack of communication equipment that interfered with the few devices Hal had brought along. Humans, with their overall lacking technology, had a long way to go past the pocket watch and the wagon wheel. The minute wheels in the watch case spun around as their piece of technology attempted to download the full communication.
They waited for a moment, retrieving the ear piece hidden in another garment, and returned to the fully projected transmission. The first image to pop up was that of Daniel Kemp, Monty’s uncle and business partner at the law offices. Hal had been aware that the name was on their upcoming list, but they did not think the man was this close to the grave.
“Kemp,” the voice on the end of the line said. Hal could not make out what they were saying about Kemp. The crackles of the communication continued, some words slipping through of warning about danger to Hal.
“Kemp,” the voice repeated.
For the name to come through on a transmission like this must have meant there was a disturbance. They did not know what to expect when receiving a message on this device. Hal certainly wasn’t prepared to hear the words, “Save Kemp. Waite is at large. Priority red.”
Finally a clear amount of information. Even if it did mean that a wanted galactic criminal was somewhere in the town murdering a man that Hal was meant to save.
Hal thought a moment about what they were going to do. They lightly touched their ear piece, opening the channel, and saying, “Message acknowledged. Is Waite wanted dead or alive?”
“It is your choice, Haller.”
The transmission clicked off and Hal grabbed two weapons from the back of the chifforobe. One was their trusty homeworld pistol and the other was a locale appropriate long rifle. They slung the shot bag over their suit jacket, taking a quick glance around to make sure they needed no more weapons.
Hal then rushed out of the office, caring not about the mess on the floor. They took quickly to the back stairs, running out to the stables where their horse stood waiting. The only patience in their actions came during the process of dressing the gelding. No matter the rush that the reaper was in, they knew that it would not be helped by falling out of the saddle.
They knew they surely looked like a mad man as they went galloping down the streets of town. Passerbys stepped out of shops as they saw Mr. Williamson running the horse towards the law offices at the edge. Perhaps some of them even observed as they leapt in one gentle motion from the back of the horse, rifle tucked neatly beneath their arm.
One of them though made a point to stop Hal in their path. They recognized the man as one of the junior men at the Kemp & Magill firm.
“Where are you going with that rifle, Mr. Williamson?”
“I was intending on heading upstairs to save the life of your employer.”
With that, Hal pushed past the young man, throwing open the doors that stood in their way, and ran up a necessary set of stairs. The young man was trailing somewhere behind them as Hal looked through the upstairs rooms. A gentle click of Kemp’s office door alerted Hal as to the necessary position.
They through a heavy boot against the lock of the door. The first step into the office revealed that something was very wrong. It took one more step for Hal to realize that Kemp was sitting at the desk in a terrible state. One where his head was just gently resting on his neck, but no longer officially connected.
“You’re too late, Hal,” said the voice from the shadows. Waite stepped far enough into the dimming light of the day so that Hal could see the weighted baton in the being’s hands.
“Waite! When I get my hands-”
Before Hal could finished their thought, their whole world began to fade away. They could feel the blood rushing down their temple as their head banged against the floor. With a last bit of consciousness, they grabbed at their rifle, and shot at one of the shadowy figures in the background.
A cry revealed that they had hit someone and was enough assurance to allow them to relax into the abyss.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

man, don't you hate it when a murderous demon or something interrupts your plan to just keep making love to your love interest forever

766 Reviews

Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Magill, upon entering a crime scene where his uncle is dead and his boyfriend has a head wound: “so did you and Waite used to be like an item. Like do i need to be jealous of this guy?”

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:09 pm
BluesClues says...

omg please let him actually say that

766 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:17 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

@BluesClues there is a scene coming up in the next few weeks where Monty does ask something of that nature

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic