Retitle GroundskeeperWIP, Y'all

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon May 31, 2021 6:35 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

*sighs loudly*

As you may remember, about four years ago I asked for help retitling the Chosen Grandma story.

(Thank you so much @StellaThomas for the DELIGHTFUL title I'm now using to query: The Remarkable Retirement of Edna Fisher. If this dumb book EVER gets published, you can bet you'll be somewhere in the acknowledgements.)

WELP. I am once again asking for help retitling a WIP, because I Simply Cannot Title Things. The first draft of GroundskeeperWIP is done, and I'd love to print myself a proper title page with a proper working title for my first-draft readthrough.

SO. Step right up and give me suggestions! I do have access to this article on different methods for titling, as well as another article on titling, so I will be brainstorming on my own as well in between homework assignments but I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

The Plot

Peter Shaughnessy is more than two hundred years old and ready to die. Unfortunately, he can't: a youthful encounter with one o' them left him with a curse: to wander eternally far from home.

Now Peter wanders from town to town, ridding each place that calls to him of troublesome ghosts. Once, he was certain ridding the right town of the right ghost in the right way would break his curse—surely that's why immortality came with a side order of being able to see and understand spirits no one else knows are there. After a century of dispelling dangerous ghosts, he's stopped expecting his exploits to win him the death he desires, but he continues his ghost-hunting nonetheless: helping people gives his life some semblance of purpose, and leaving town when his work is done ensures that he never gets to know anyone too well or care about them too much.

Enter Harrington, Ohio. For the first time in more than a century, Peter finds himself wanting something other than death. A family. A community.

But he knows the people of Harrington will die someday. And he won't.

Afraid of the emotional danger he'll face if he stays, Peter decides to leave Harrington - but an angry spirit is determined to destroy the town, and Peter's the only one who can stop it.

The Tone

Similar to The House in the Cerulean Sea, particularly in terms of character arc, but possibly overall a little sadder (certainly a little spookier and anxiouser).

Any Questions?

If you feel like more information would help you come up with title suggestions, let me know what you need! The story is not posted on YWS, but some illustrative snippets are enspoilered below.

Spoiler! :
Opening:
No one knew who had hired the new groundskeeper, but there he was.

Harrington’s mayor assumed the director of the cemetery had hired him. The director, perhaps naively, assumed the board of trustees had hired him because they’d noticed she needed help. The board members assumed the mayor had hired him, considered pursuing some sort of action to discourage her from overreaching in the future, and then decided they had enough on their plates with the other cemeteries they oversaw. The mayor’s secretary wasn’t sure they’d needed a new groundskeeper in the first place.

Harrington, Ohio collectively shrugged and accepted his presence.

If they’d paid more attention, they might have noticed two things:

1) The groundskeeper could talk to plants.
2) The groundskeeper could talk to ghosts.

The found family:
“This book should get an F,” she said. “The writer forgot to capitalize his sentences.”

Sayid peered over her shoulder with interest until he saw what it was. “Oh. e.e. cummings. Yeah, that’s kind of his thing.”

“Mrs. Albright says you have to capitalize every sentence,” Samira insisted, flipping further through the book as if trying to determine exactly how low a percentage grade e.e. cummings should get for his failure to follow grammar conventions.

The groundskeeper chuckled. “Poetry plays by its own set of rules, near as I can tell. There, lass. Read that one there to me.”

The OTP:
His face had gone all soft and sad. Smiles suited him better, the groundskeeper thought.

He hesitated. “You do get used to it, eventually.”

David looked at him. “Who was it for you?”

“It was a long time ago,” the groundskeeper said.

David nodded to himself. He glanced inside his lunch bag, gave it up as lost, and crumpled it in his hands.

“So,” he said, “how long are we talking? I’d love to get a timeline on this whole ‘getting used to the silence’ thing.”

The groundskeeper snorted. David giggled.

“Sorry,” he said. “Things were getting a little depressing there. Truth be told, I hope I never get used to being alone.”

“Why not?” the groundskeeper asked. “It’s easier.”

“Maybe,” David said, “but it’s sad.”

The ghosts:
The spirit shuddered, shifting uneasily from side to side. Fragmented images shuttered through the groundskeeper’s mind at top speed, like someone was clicking too quickly through a presentation. The sun overhead, too bright, glaring on the dirt. The sky so brightly blue it was almost white. Elijah’s hands on the wheel of the tractor. A flash of dizziness, of blackness, and then confused images of the earth tumbling end over end, the groan of metal crumpling, and then nothing but pain, pain. Elijah was reliving his death.

The spirit shuddered harder. The smell of rot worsened, felt so strong it seemed to invade the groundskeeper’s whole body until he felt it inside him.

“Hsst,” he said under his breath. Elijah latched onto his voice, something not associated with his death at all, but he was still fearful, feeling the phantom pains of nine months ago in a body he no longer had.

The groundskeeper had not made it past the veranda when he felt the ghost. He stopped in his tracks, staggered by the overwhelming love here. It permeated every molecule of air, every beam of wood, the glazing of the windows, everything, everything. The ghost—Isaiah, if the children who visited were any authority—loved this place with every fiber of his being. Loved it so much it fair glowed, to the groundskeeper’s eyes.

He had to stand there on the porch for several minutes, wrestling himself under control: the spirit’s love washed over him and through him, reminded him, despite his great efforts over the years to forget, of how much he still loved everyone he’d ever lost. Reminded him of all the affection he’d had for various people throughout the last century despite his attempts to feel none, of all the times he’d fled when he’d realized he felt too much. Reminded him of how little affection anyone had felt for him in all that time, because he’d made sure they didn’t. It wrapped him up tight and warm, put tears in his eyes and a lump in his throat.

It was wonderful and terrible, and it was several minutes before he felt equal to stepping inside.

The spectral face appeared before her, so close she jumped and scrambled back, pressed against the door as if she could sink right into it. He was angrier than ever, not a general rage at all of Harrington but a sharp point directed at her in particular.

Many, many people had been angry at her in recent months, but never like this.

Her mouth went dry.

“It’s you who says we’re friends,” he hissed, “and it’s you who turns around and betrays me?”

“No,” she whispered. “No, I—”

The face rushed at her. She flung her arms over her head with a cry, but too late: something rushed right through her, turning her bones to ice.

The a n g s t:
It had been near two hundred years since then, and still, every year around this time, no matter where he was or what he was doing, he grew jittery and anxious. Even if he didn’t think about it. Or anyone he’d left behind. He’d be doing his work—planting, coaxing weeds into being something prettier or growing somewhere different, resetting an old headstone—and suddenly he’d come over all cold and shaky, mouth dry, heart pounding, chest tight, skin prickling. Lightheaded and dizzy, like the world was a rug that had suddenly been yanked out from under his feet.

He’d hunker down on the ground, clutching his head in his hands, and count blades of grass, or identify bird calls, or focus on the feel of damp earth beneath his trousers and the breeze on his skin until he calmed down again.

Sometimes he’d shut his eyes, but that was a mistake: when he shut his eyes, he saw the fire, and his neighbors staring at him in shock, or he saw the dark woods and Katherine sprawled on the ground. The image, whatever it was, would loom up before him, surround him, crash over him, until he was gasping and clutching at the grass and terrified to open his eyes again, because what if he opened his eyes and it was still there? What if he was back there, back then, but nothing had changed, and he had two hundred lonely, miserable years ahead of him?

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Mon May 31, 2021 7:04 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Oooh! I love this alright. Since the plot definitely hovers around Peter/the main characterm with how much stuff links back to him/his curse/his abilities/his actions, I'm thinkking something relating to him, not his name but a character description.

Perhaps The Groundskeeper's Ghosts? Or The Groundskeeper and His Ghosts Or something weirder akin to "A Keeper and His Ghosts" / i.e. "A Keeper and His Grounds" / "Collecting Ghosts" / "Collection of Ghosts" .

If the tone is more serious/sad/contemplative though, I could see something like "Plowing the Grounds" something more action-y ? "Who Collects Ghosts" / "Ghost Keeping" /

A very random one is: "Keeping Friends Close, Ghosts Closer" / something related to that saying ??

tldr: I'm not great at titling stuff but it is fun.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Mon May 31, 2021 7:28 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"The Ghosts of Harrington"

"The Undertaker's Ghosts"

"Put It to Rest"

"Burying His Sorrows"

"Never Dying, Always Crying"
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon May 31, 2021 7:40 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

I was thinking something dramatic like,,,,,,, Curse of the Ghostly Groundskeeper or The Ghostly Groundskeeper?
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@TheScribe W O W "Never Dying, Always Crying" is frighteningly accurate, and I'm honestly laughing really hard about it but we all know my readers would cry "Burying His Sorrows" is ALSO accurate holy cow. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Yoshikrab thank you for your suggestions! What do you think of "The Groundskeeper's Curse"? I'm not sold on it, but I'm playing around with my own ideas and different versions of what people are suggesting here!

@JustPerks hmmmmMMMMMmmm I'm sort of digging get it the "collecting ghosts" titles? "The Man Who Collected Ghosts" or something maybe? Again not entirely accurate but I sort of like it. Maybe there's something along those lines I could do?

Two titles I thought up recently myself are:

1) "The Ghost at the End of the Lane" but it's not actually accurate AND it feels more like a middle grades book title than an adult book title to me so I have already added it to my story ideas folder and I already have a vague idea lol

2) "The Man in the Caretaker's Cottage" BUT relatively little story action happens in the caretaker's cottage and I feel like this would fit better if the story were centered on the cottage more

129 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

yep i thought having something about curses would be cool :D

so i took another nap

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:13 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Dropping in some more suggestions I've had from friends. Note: some of these are purely silly, but I'm throwing them in here anyway because they make me smile.

Graveyard Shift
The Ghost Collector
The Caretaker and the Ghost
Ghosts, Cemeteries, and Sad Immortal Caretakers
The Flannel Man and the Vesty Ghost
Vests and Flannels: A Story of Love and Loss
Eternal Flannel Man
The Groundskeeper's Curse
A Grave Affair
The Groundskeeper and the Historian
The Groundskeeper
The Groundskeeper: A Story of Found Family
The Groundskeeper and the People He Met
The Groundskeeper of Harrington
Cemetery Man
Caretaker of the Night
Guardian of the Cemeteries
Guardian of the Ghosts
Guardian from the Ghosts
The Ghost Shepherd
The Wandering Guardian
The Wandering Groundskeeper
The Cemetery Nomad
A Caretaker of Cemetery Roses
History's Apprentice
Roots, Bones, & Other Interred Things
Roots, Bones, & Other Buried Things
Roots, Bones, & Buried Things << OH DANG I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE
Buried Things << I LIKE THIS ONE TOO
The Things He Buried << ALSO THIS ONE BUT MAYBE SLIGHTLY LESS
The Cursed Caretaker
The Caretaker's Grave
The Ghost of Harrington
The Ghost of Harrington Cemetery
Sad Immortal Gay Man: A Spooky Tale
The Man Who Could Talk to Ghosts
The Groundskeeper's Ghosts
The Ghost in the Grounds
The Grave Secret of Peter Shaughnessy << KINDA LIKE THIS TOO
A Grave Secret
Grave Secrets
Buried Secrets
The Way (the) Spirits Linger(ed) << HAD A THOUGHT ABOUT THIS ONE LAST NIGHT, IT WOULD BE LIKE A "REVERSE GOBBET" BC I COULD EASILY INCLUDE IN NARRATION SOMETHING ABOUT HOW THE GROUNDSKEEPER LINGERS THE WAY SPIRITS DO BUT WITH EVEN LESS HOPE OF MOVING ON
The Man Who Envied the Dead

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:36 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I wonder if I can somehow combine "The Man/The Man Who" and "Buried Things" somehow

I'm really liking all the "Buried Things" titles, but I'm also like the "The Man/The Man Who" constructions

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:02 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Just updating this to say that for now I'm going with THE MANY BURIED THINGS OF PETER SHAUGHNESSY because it works on like 3 different levels and fits MY BRAND!! *cries* since my last title was THE REMARKABLE RETIREMENT OF EDNA FISHER lol

129 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:07 am
yosh says...

lol

so i took another nap

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg