z

Young Writers Society

How Has Your Poetry Style Changed?

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri May 14, 2021 4:44 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...

Where did your poetry start? What is it like now? Do you feel it was better when you started, or are you happy with where it is now?
She/Her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm sure that there's smaller, more minute differences between my starting poetry and my current poetry, but the most noticeable one is the difference in length. My old poems were really long. Some newer ones are definitely on the longer side as well, but I've learned how to cut back with my descriptions.

I think I've also leaned more into describing a specific moment, rather than a general feeling.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat May 15, 2021 1:39 am
View Likes
EsmerayaRose says...

When I first started my poems was clear at all you really couldn't tell what was going on. I remember when someone told me ¨You have great ideas, yes, but I just don understand what your talking about.¨ So I sat there for about a 1 hour rewriting every poem I ever did. So now my poems are somewhat understandable I guess you can say.
I promise this type of pain only gets worse
~Esmeraya~

she/they

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I think it depends on how far you go back for me, because there was definitely a time when I only wrote (poorly) in iambic meter and nothing else. Other than that, I get the sense that my word choices are wilder nowadays, and I tend to be very chaotic in mixing registers, i.e. "self-induced despair" next to "potato crunch" in the same poem. I also think I tend to use more caesurae in my poetry nowadays than I used to.

I don't know if either was 'better' necessarily. There was definitely an 'organic' feel to some of my earlier poetry, i.e. an English teacher would probably approve of it, but my current poetry seems a bit more adventurous, less predictable, which has value in my book.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare