z

Young Writers Society

Looking for beta readers/partners!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:08 pm
View Likes
Nymeria says...

Hey folks! I have done the impossible and written a novel. I've completed a fairly solid second draft and I'm trying to get as many eyes on it as possible before I go through with more big revisions. It is ~110k words and I would be more than happy to beta read or critique your work in return. I'm looking for big-picture feed back on character and plot and such.

My novel is a modern YA retelling of Hamlet. It is told in first person alternating perspectives between Hamlet, Ophelia, and Horatio. If you're not familiar with Shakespeare's Hamlet, it's basically the Lion King. My retelling deals with issues of sexuality, depression, suicide and self harm, self-expression, and being a public figure. And also murder and ghosts, of course. It is meant to be a fun and intense and easy read.

This is something I would really like to get published someday, so if you want to give it a try, please let me know! You wouldn't have to commit to the whole book, you could try the first couple chapters to see if it's even something you would like. I'm struggling to come up with comparable novels, but a few might be:
- Red, White, and Royal Blue (ish)
- American Royals (but I didn't really like this book, so)
- Rainbow Rowell and Becky Albertalli books (sorta. . . ?)
- The Song of Achilles (because it's a retelling of a classic with queerness on the forefront)

OH. ALSO. If you are specifically a gay/bi/whatever dude and/or black or Latinx, I would love to hear from you because I am a white girl and I need to be called out if I accidentally wrote offensive stereotypes or anything offensive or inaccurate or whatever regarding race or m/m characters/romance. (I'm queer but I imagine the experience as a queer guy can be quite different).

Okay, that was kind of a long post. Please tell me if you're interested-- I want to hear from you! (And I can't stress enough that if you start it and don't like it you are welcome to ditch it).

Thanks!

Nymeria
Last edited by Nymeria on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 pm
View Likes
Myre says...

I was about to say I'd beta read, and then I saw that you wanted an LGBTQ+ guy or not-white partner and I was like

Oops. Lol

I hope your novel ends up getting picked up! I'd still love to read it at some point, and if you ever want a 500th opinion, I'm always free for a message.

Have a good day!

Peace,

Myre

30 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 pm
View Likes
Nymeria says...

Myre wrote:I was about to say I'd beta read, and then I saw that you wanted an LGBTQ+ guy or not-white partner and I was like

Oops. Lol

I hope your novel ends up getting picked up! I'd still love to read it at some point, and if you ever want a 500th opinion, I'm always free for a message.

Have a good day!

Peace,

Myre

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that I only wanted those minorities! Just that they would be helpful in those specific categories. I want ALL willing beta readers. A majority readers who would pick this story up in the real world would probably white girls/women anyway.
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:31 am
View Likes
yosh says...

I would be happy to read your work with no need to return the favor! I guess I qualify for some of the things you listed in your second-to-last paragraph.

Hope to see it coming out!

-yoshi
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Hi!! What genre is it? Fantasy? Contemporary? Historical?
I read Hamlet a long time ago and remember liking it (and I LOVEEE the Lion King).

I'd be happy to read it for you! Is there a time frame that you're hoping to have feedback by? I'm beta reading a few other projects right now so I could probably get started within the next month or so if that works?
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

30 Reviews

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:29 pm
View Likes
Nymeria says...

Carlito wrote:Hi!! What genre is it? Fantasy? Contemporary? Historical?
I read Hamlet a long time ago and remember liking it (and I LOVEEE the Lion King).

I'd be happy to read it for you! Is there a time frame that you're hoping to have feedback by? I'm beta reading a few other projects right now so I could probably get started within the next month or so if that works?

It’s a little hard to pin down the genre because it’s mostly YA contemporary/drama, BUT there is that pesky little ghost, who barely gets any screen time.

I don’t have an exact timeframe, but you can PM me when you’re ready to read it and I will send you some version, whether it’s the same as the one I’m sending to people now or updated.

Thank you so much for offering!

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:02 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

YA contemporary is my FAV and I don't mind some speculative elements! I'll definitely PM you once I finish some of what I'm currently reading :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:34 pm
Plume says...

I'm not sure how many beta readers you need, but all my writer friends say I'm more than qualified in that field. I absolutely adore the story of Hamlet, and I would love to read it! Either as a beta, or, if you've already found a beta, I'm content to wait until it's published. ^_^
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

30 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:06 pm
View Likes
Nymeria says...

Plume wrote:I'm not sure how many beta readers you need, but all my writer friends say I'm more than qualified in that field. I absolutely adore the story of Hamlet, and I would love to read it! Either as a beta, or, if you've already found a beta, I'm content to wait until it's published. ^_^

I want allllll the beta readers I can get my virtual hands on. I'll PM you!

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles