Young Writers Society

My Four Main WIPs

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:38 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Here's a quick rundown on the four main novels I'm currently working on (and still debating on whether I should even continue with them xD) and I need your help!

If you're here, and if you have time, you might as well give the rest of this post a quick read and tell me which one of the four WIPs you would definitely give a read if you saw it in a library or bookstore. If you have any advice, or if you think something sounds too cliche or just not-good-in-general, please do tell! I'm open to all advice and will read anything you shoot my way. <3

(quick note: my summaries are messy and random so if something doesn't make sense, feel free to ask :) )

Unlucky 13
Spoiler! :
A 13 year-old girl, Julia Harper Portman, who lives with her Grams and her mom’s brother’s family, goes through all this stuff:
- Bullies at school
- Friend betrayal
- The mother she always knew as dead was actually alive and living in England
- She has two step-sisters (one of whom stalked her) and a step-brother (who was her cousin's bff)

Lots of stuff >.> There might be something that I'm missing but that's the main *waves hands around* plot thing. :)

A Painter & Writer's Magic
Spoiler! :
A husband (Will, a writer) and wife (Audrey, a painter) go out for dinner one day, and meet a devil named Akolxohez (who was the waiter) who follows them to their house and makes them sign a mysterious contract. Audrey does a fake sign and gets away with it because Akol is being frustrating and isn’t explaining things properly. Akol comes back in a rage and kidnaps them and brings them to his world because he realizes it’s a fake signature.

They need to defeat the angels (who in this story, are bad, and the devils are good) and make sure that the wizards stay safe forever for the sake of the whole galaxy's peace.

I... admittedly am sort of lost with this story and it’s plot right now - it was going so well in the beginning, I promise!! - and I'm very confused with the type of magic I'm using (I don't even know what to call it lol), but I plan on fixing things up so the story makes more sense. >.>

[title in progress]
Spoiler! :
This girl, Cat, gets obsessed with the social media she's not allowed to have. She gains a lot of fans and followers because of her wonderful artwork. She ends up posting pictures of herself because of online peer pressure. She's very insecure about the way she looks so photoshops everything. At one point, her followers are like "booo that's so photoshopped" and she starts getting hate because haters exist. Cat's like dang I need to lose weight and get makeup so I can look better and she does just that. Two months pass by and her mother notices that she isn't eating properly so she sits her down and asks her about what's wrong. And then stuff happens and she’s taken to the hospital and diagnosed with anorexia. She’s in the hospital bed and she and her older sister, Val, start having a conversation. Val says stuff and then Cat's like "oh okay I have my fam's love I need nothing more <3"

Not as cheesy and random of course, but yeah that's basically what happens and it’s much more emotional than my lame summary hah ^^”

The Corner Shop [not sure about this title yet]
Spoiler! :
Here’s a summary from my NaNo 2020 thread :]

Ariana King has always been homeschooled, but as soon as she turns sixteen on the 17th of August, her father, for some reason, has decided that Ari would go to Opaque Lake High for the rest of the school year. Although she's infuriated at this sudden decision, and frustrated that Mr. King hadn't talked to her about it before enrolling her, Ari has no choice but to go. His childrens' education had always been Mr. King's top priority.

Soon enough, Ari is settled at school, getting good grades when it came to tests and being the usual over achiever she is like her father, who was a lawyer. Ari notices things going wrong when she sees stairwells and doors that other people don't see **at school** (forgot to add that in the original thread). She keeps telling herself that she's just stressed out about final exams, and that she's being a weirdo.

Or... is she?

Things get even stranger when the twin owners of the corner shop across the street from her school keep talking about mysterious stairwells and doors. They've even tried to get her to come down to the shop basement to show her something she would apparently be very interested in.

Ariana King absolutely must figure out what's going on before the end of the school year and her family goes out of Canada for summer vacations.

Thank you so much! Your time is appreciated. :)
*insert quirky signature here*

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:54 pm
View Likes
LUNARGIRL says...

My favorite one was the last one, The Corner Shop
"ONE CANNOT BE BRAVE WHO HAS NO FEAR."

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:58 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Oooh! These all sound like really interesting ideas :)

Personally, because I like reading fantasy/magical realism stuff, I’d be most likely to read the Corner Shop and A Painter & Writer’s Magic. Your other ideas sound like you could do a lot with them too, though! They both lend themselves to exploring deeper themes of life (like identity in the unnamed one and maybe like a found family kind of story in the first?)

I did want to ask about Unlucky 13. What’s the main “point” of the story? Sure, a lot of stuff happens and that sucks and it’s hard to deal with, but what are you trying to do with it? Do you want to watch this character overcome it themselves, with their close friends, with new friends? I’m curious :)

And the great thing about having a lot of ideas and a lot of things to work on is if you’re stuck and don’t know what you want to with an idea or where to go, you can always put it down and pick it back up later when you do have that drive again :)
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

453 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

My favorite one was the last one, The Corner Shop

@LUNARGIRL - thank you! :)

I did want to ask about Unlucky 13. What’s the main “point” of the story? Sure, a lot of stuff happens and that sucks and it’s hard to deal with, but what are you trying to do with it? Do you want to watch this character overcome it themselves, with their close friends, with new friends? I’m curious :)

@SpiritedWolfe - You guessed it! I want Julia to find away around all her problems, figure it out, and somehow stay happy and patient throughout everything that happens all at once. Thanks for your words! <3

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:05 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

I think it's great that you have four on the go at once because then when you get stuck on one you can procrastinate by writing another one!

This girl, Cat, gets obsessed with the social media she's not allowed to have. She gains a lot of fans and followers because of her wonderful artwork. She ends up posting pictures of herself because of online peer pressure.

I think you can use this one to make such an important statement about the world we're living in and I look forward to see how you tackle this one!

I think my favourite is probably A Painter & Writer's Magic but I totally get what you mean about not knowing the kind of magic in the book xD That's why I've kind of moved away from fantasy for the moment although I definitely want to come back to it!

If you ever want a brainstorming session then hmu :)

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:59 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

I think you can use this one to make such an important statement about the world we're living in and I look forward to see how you tackle this one!

@IcyFlame - Ahh that makes me feel so good about this specific one - I'm thinking I should probably make sure I outline it properly before I dive in, even though I'm a sucker for them >.>

If you ever want a brainstorming session then hmu :)

Yes thank you xD <3

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:56 am
View Likes
NateAtNight says...

Hi! These all sound really good, but I think The Corner Store and the Title In Progress one sound the most interesting. This is mostly likely just the summary you put, but Unlucky 13 doesn't sound like it has much plot. A Painter's and Writer's Magic doesn't sound very interesting to me, but that's just because I'm not very into magic books. I do know a lot of people who would love to read a book with that plot, though!
Anyway, whatever you chose, I wish you well on writing it. :D

453 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:46 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

@NateAtNight - thank you so much!! <3 Unlucky 13 doesn't sound as interesting, yes, because of the way I wrote the summary xD Also yeah, I understand, everyone has different genre tastes. ^^ <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:45 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Liebensteiner ahhhh I love the title "Unlucky 13." Does the friend betrayal end up with a friend breakup? I've been thinking how I'd like to see more friend breakups in fiction - I feel like society prepares us for romantic breakups but not friend breakups, so it can be a lot harder to deal with friend breakups! It'd be nice to see more fictional characters dealing with them <3

Also, I'm curious: what happens to Ariana King if she doesn't figure out what's going on with all the doors and stairways she sees?

453 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:04 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

@BluesClues - Thank you!! It took me ten or so chapters to get that title. xD And yes, it does end in a friend breakup - but she ends up making a new friend, Imogen, who just moved to Julia's town.

And... I honestly haven't really thought about what's going to happen if Ariana doesn't figure out what's going on with the doors/stariways. <.< I, admittedly, haven't worked on the outline for that much, and I've only just finished the first chapter where we're still being introduced to the characters and setting and whatnot, so I'm not entirely sure. xD But that's a very good question, though, I'm going keep it in mind when go back to outlining/note-taking!

Thanks for your time! <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:54 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Hehe no problem! I often struggle with stakes in stories (what happens if character doesn't do the thing), so it's something I notice if it's missing from blurbs!

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant