Young Writers Society

Useless Wordbuilding

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:48 pm
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

The worldbuilding bug bit me. Yeah.
I just keep on creating different worlds and multiple characters when I don't really have a story to tell. I am probably just having a writer's block, but who knows?

I am trying to write, but I am finding my own writing boring. No plots, no structure, no interesting situations, it's just characters roaming around in my story. It doesn't matter how much detail I include, it is not interesting. I get excited, but only to create new characters. I am finding it harder and harder to write because I have no story to tell. I spend so much time searching for a good writing prompt to get me started, even if I do find a good one, I just difficult to write about it. :(

And having to keep a word count goal to finish in time isn't also helping me out, it just stresses me more.

Do anyone of you know how I can "fix" this situation? Or any tips to get started?

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

A way to "create" plot can be to look into how/why you made your characters the way they are -- even simple ideas such as what they look like/what their background is/what their personalities are like can go into an overreaching plot.

If it helps, too, you can always look at what your favorite book/series does and see what you think works for the plot and what doesn't. Getting too much influence from books can be a bit bad, but simply taking in pieces of advice can help with simply picturing things developing.

I hope that helps! ^^
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath