z

Young Writers Society

Let's talk about poetry.

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:59 am
View Likes
silented1 says...

One of the things I think that I should learn is how the sounds of words flow together when writing a poem to help control the impact of lines as they speed up or slow down to make the information more or less readily available. That's close to why I want to learn it.

What's something you want to learn? Maybe we could share books that have helped us learn to write.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:24 am
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

I want to learn how to write poetry too. I have written 2 poems before, and they were *cough...trash...cough*
My poetry process is so weird. Like I write the first line, then I search up the rhyming word of the last word of the first line, and then write the second line. It's complicated.
Glad there is someone else wanting to learn too.

286 Reviews

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:34 pm
View Likes
silented1 says...

piyaliarchives wrote:I want to learn how to write poetry too. I have written 2 poems before, and they were *cough...trash...cough*
My poetry process is so weird. Like I write the first line, then I search up the rhyming word of the last word of the first line, and then write the second line. It's complicated.
Glad there is someone else wanting to learn too.

Have you tried just writing the poem then searching for rhyming words and editing?

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

@silented1 Whenever I try to do it, I just can't find the correct rhyming words. In the poems that I write without rhyming words, I just leave it without any.

Random avatar

Reviews: 63
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:46 pm
View Likes
NastyMajesty says...

Honestly, I don't even bother with the rhyming most of the time. Not all poems have to rhyme, but obviously rhyming does help with the flow and rhythm of the entire poem. But sometimes you don't need the rhyming and it'll all just "click" if you know what I mean. I write poetry now because it helps me think about whatever situation I'm writing about. Most of the time it'll just come together by itself. I feel like poetry is something you've gotta be honest about and it comes straight from the heart. LOL Sorry, I'm getting all philosophical. Anyway, that's my opinion on poetry.
Last edited by NastyMajesty on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 pm
View Likes
izzywidgeon says...

i want to learn how to convey as much emotion as i can with as little words as possible, if that makes any sense.
izzywidgeon

286 Reviews

Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 pm
View Likes
silented1 says...

@maryah @mintyleaf @piyaliarchives
mintyleaf wrote:i want to learn how to convey as much emotion as i can with as little words as possible, if that makes any sense.

That's hard. I don't know what to tell you. Try reading a lot of poetry. I think I like shel silversien and i know i like rudy francisco.

Maryah wrote:Honestly, I don't even bother with the rhyming most of the time. Not all poems have to rhyme, but obviously rhyming does help with the flow and rhythm of the entire poem. But sometimes you don't need the rhyming and it'll all just "click" if you know what I mean. I write poetry now because it helps me think about whatever situation I'm writing about. Most of the time it'll just come together by itself. I feel like poetry is something you've gotta be honest about and it comes straight from the heart. LOL Sorry, I'm getting all philosophical. Anyway, that's my opinion on poetry.

Yeah, rhyming does help. And yes! If you work on something long enough it will click no matter what. I sometimes write the last line / title after the first line. It's like a little web thingy.

piyaliarchives wrote:@silented1 Whenever I try to do it, I just can't find the correct rhyming words. In the poems that I write without rhyming words, I just leave it without any.

Try a rhyming dictionary and pick out words that rhyme and could make sense. You could fill in the lines making it easier.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:07 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

silented1 wrote:One of the things I think that I should learn is how the sounds of words flow together when writing a poem to help control the impact of lines as they speed up or slow down to make the information more or less readily available. That's close to why I want to learn it.

What's something you want to learn? Maybe we could share books that have helped us learn to write.

<3 Ed. I think what used to help me with this was if I read the poem as though it were a novel. When you read a line in a novel YOU choose the intonation and the stress in the line by the nature of how you feel about the novel. As a poet, we tell our readers where that stress lives by creating line breaks or playing with other punctuation. When I wrote a poem and then made it into a paragraph, I could see where my grammar didn't make sense, or could be played with differently to keep meaning but boost impact.

That's my humble suggestion.

What I'd love to learn is how to make myself write when I don't seem to want to! It's a drought in here. D:

(also I'm really bad at rhymes)
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:21 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

NastyMajesty wrote:Honestly, I don't even bother with the rhyming most of the time. Not all poems have to rhyme, but obviously rhyming does help with the flow and rhythm of the entire poem. But sometimes you don't need the rhyming and it'll all just "click" if you know what I mean. I write poetry now because it helps me think about whatever situation I'm writing about. Most of the time it'll just come together by itself. I feel like poetry is something you've gotta be honest about and it comes straight from the heart. LOL Sorry, I'm getting all philosophical. Anyway, that's my opinion on poetry.

This is kinda what I came here to say! I'm a big fan of free verse. I started off writing rhyming poetry, because it's what I had more exposure to and what I thought of when I thought "poetry." But I love how free verse frees me up to say what I mean how I mean it, without worrying either about rhyme or syllables.

I still struggle, because of what @NastyMajesty said about honesty - it's hard for me to be fully honest even in my diary, when it comes to things that are bothering me, which is mostly what I'm drawn to write poetry about! With the last poem it sort of worked, because the whole point is that the narrator is trying to avoid Upsetting Things, but most of the time it doesn't work and everyone tells me I've got a good start but need to somehow add more emotion...

Random avatar

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 am
View Likes
NastyMajesty says...

BluesClues wrote:
NastyMajesty wrote:Honestly, I don't even bother with the rhyming most of the time. Not all poems have to rhyme, but obviously rhyming does help with the flow and rhythm of the entire poem. But sometimes you don't need the rhyming and it'll all just "click" if you know what I mean. I write poetry now because it helps me think about whatever situation I'm writing about. Most of the time it'll just come together by itself. I feel like poetry is something you've gotta be honest about and it comes straight from the heart. LOL Sorry, I'm getting all philosophical. Anyway, that's my opinion on poetry.

This is kinda what I came here to say! I'm a big fan of free verse. I started off writing rhyming poetry, because it's what I had more exposure to and what I thought of when I thought "poetry." But I love how free verse frees me up to say what I mean how I mean it, without worrying either about rhyme or syllables.

I still struggle, because of what @NastyMajesty said about honesty - it's hard for me to be fully honest even in my diary, when it comes to things that are bothering me, which is mostly what I'm drawn to write poetry about! With the last poem it sort of worked, because the whole point is that the narrator is trying to avoid Upsetting Things, but most of the time it doesn't work and everyone tells me I've got a good start but need to somehow add more emotion...

@BluesClues, yeah honesty is definitely something that a lot of people struggle with but poetry is a great outlet for it. I just started poetry this week and BOY am I loving it! Poetry really helps sometimes just to deal with situations you're having trouble with and just really makes you feel a whole lot better about it. About two days ago I wrote an entire page long one about when I finally told my best friend my feelings about him (AAAAAA) and I was absolutely freaking out before I started writing. After I finished it I just felt really great about myself after thinking a lot about it. In poetry, you've really just have to let it all out and not stress about it. Sharing it helps too, or just keeping it to yourself.
(also I did in fact post the poem I wrote about me and my friend on YWS if you wanna check it out lol. For your convenience: So this is Love )

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:25 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@NastyMajesty omg MOST of my poetry in high school was about that kind of thing! I feel like? it was maybe more honest back then, too, but I'm not sure. (I also feel like it's always been easier for me to be honest about love than other things lol.) Now it's more likely to be about loss of various sorts or very deep levels of stress, but I can hardly let myself think about them with too much focus, let alone write about them!

Also WOW I started off reading your poem like "awww did it really happen this way!" but then by the end I was like "oh no, I kind of hope it didn't really happen this way!"

286 Reviews

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:59 am
View Likes
silented1 says...

I haven't read your poem but I'll check it out. And yeah, poetry is a good cope for me too.

I checked out your poem. It's good that it covers so much.

Random avatar

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:25 am
View Likes
NastyMajesty says...

BluesClues wrote:@NastyMajesty omg MOST of my poetry in high school was about that kind of thing! I feel like? it was maybe more honest back then, too, but I'm not sure. (I also feel like it's always been easier for me to be honest about love than other things lol.) Now it's more likely to be about loss of various sorts or very deep levels of stress, but I can hardly let myself think about them with too much focus, let alone write about them!

Also WOW I started off reading your poem like "awww did it really happen this way!" but then by the end I was like "oh no, I kind of hope it didn't really happen this way!"

@BluesClues oh my god it was traumatizing. This happened 2 nights ago. His twin sister is my best friend and we still haven't told her (′▽`〃) and then he told me about something personal and I told my third friend (who is basically my personal therapist xD) because I was so stressed. Now I have no idea what to do since this is the first time he's ever trusted me with these types of things. The worst thing is this ALL happened over text
(′~`;) I've liked him for 7 months with an intense passion and I originally told him 2 weeks ago. He said he still wasn't sure how he felt so I gave it some time. Then, we had an intense and super deep conversation on Wednesday, and we just clicked at the realization we've been going through the same difficult struggle. We were already freaking out because we didn't know that we both had the same problem and this is how the convo went:
"Maryah, I'm going to say something that I think will make you truly blow up. This has made me realize, I feel the same way you feel about me..."
And being the geek that I am I say: "Maryah has blown up"
"We both have so much in common and we can talk to each other about it fine. You understand my weird crazy and dorky humor" and then the conversation goes on a bit until...
Me: I was gonna say something but you'd probably think I was nuts.
Him: I doubt that
Me: "yknow this is probably maybe why I love you. dang right I said it. holy crap I'm gonna die now"
Him: *literally sends three dots* ...
Him: And that's why I love you, you always say what you want to say
and at this point, I'm just sobbing LOL. I could barely breathe. That had to be the best night of my life. BUT...
...lemme just say the side effects are HORRIBLE (I've thrown up twice, haven't slept for the past 2 nights, I've fainted a couple of times, I feel like I'm having a heart attack any time I talk to any of them, AAAAAAAAAAAA). *shudder* I love him, he's amazing and he's a great guy... I just hope his sister won't kill me if we decide to tell her. Yeah, IF. He doesn't wanna tell her for fear of getting murdered. Boy oh boy, this is sure dang complicated I'm sorry xD.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:14 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@NastyMajesty omg, that's intense! I'm glad it's turned out okay so far, and I hope it turns out okay when you tell his sister <3 I'm sure either way you'll get lots more poetry out of it!

Random avatar

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:09 pm
View Likes
NastyMajesty says...

BluesClues wrote:@NastyMajesty omg, that's intense! I'm glad it's turned out okay so far, and I hope it turns out okay when you tell his sister <3 I'm sure either way you'll get lots more poetry out of it!

@BluesClues HAHA Definitely! 😂

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith