1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm
Carlito says...

MARATHON WRITING WEEKEND PART FOUR!

Finishing off round 3 with ~475 words to go: DONE

Went way over again so Round 4, 931:

ope and then I lost all steam. It was bound to happen! :p
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:15 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I HAVE TO FINISH THIS DRAFT THIS WEEK SO POWER WRITING CONTINUES.
(yesterday and today)

Continuing round 4, 931 words: DONE

Round 5, 867 words: DONE

Round 6, 750 words: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:52 pm
Carlito says...

Round 7, 505 words: DONE

Round 8, 21 words: DONE

Round 9, 45 words: DONE

Round 10, 93 words: DONE

I know I said 10 rounds, but we're going to do this until I finish my revision!!

Round 11, 202 words: DONE

Round 12, 408 words: DONE

Round 13, 831 words: almost done :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:12 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Finishing round 13 with ~230 words: DONE

Round 14, 671 words: DONE

Round 15, 354 words: DONE

Round 16, 716 words: DONE

Round 17, 435 words: mostly done!!

Picking up there tomorrow and FINISHINGGGG THIS BOOKKK.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:32 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I can't believe I started NaNo without starting a new word crawl. Who even am I??

I stopped keeping track of my three-digit challenges so we're starting fresh! BUNNY ROM COM is currently at 4150 words and I'm already behind on NaNo 8)

Bookshelf Crawl!!!

How many bookshelves do I have? 5? (one is sort of part of husband's desk but there are books on it so I'm going to say it counts) multiplied by 100 words = 500 words: DONE

Now I have to pick a bookshelf and count the number of series I have. (choosing my main YA/MG shelf, I did get up to count). I think it's 12, multiplied by 50 words = 600 words: DONE

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:48 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

How many books are in my favorite series? (we all know what it is...) 7+ means I have to write 1000 words in 30 minutes. I have a hard time focusing during long sprints like this, so I'm going to break it up into 10 minute chunks.
10 minutes: 305 total
10 minutes: 645 total
10 minutes: 916 total
So close!!

I have to pick my favorite book in the series (7th), multiplied by 100 = 700 words: DONE

and that conveniently takes me to my word count for the day!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:11 am
Carlito says...

I should finish this crawl today!!
The book is YA so I have to do a 5 minute sprint: DONE (174)
The book (this is still referencing my favorite book in my favorite series) is also Fantasy, so I need to do a 50 headed hydra, 500 words in 5 minutes. FIRST HYDRA OF NANO LET'S GOOO: DONE, 421 NOT BAD!!
(fixing the typos now....) 432 after cleaning it up!

My favorite character is a guy - NEVILLE so I have to write for 30 minutes without stopping. DONE

And lastly, I have to decide how many changes I'd make to this favorite book in this series. It's been a while since I've read it, but I'm sure if given the opportunity I'd make a few changes because why not! I have to sprint to the nearest thousand which is 529 words. Let's see how far I can get before sleep comes for me.
OMG I MADE IT

Crawl complete!! 4853 words written!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Bunny rom com stands at 9003 words.
I'm not super motivated to NaNo today even though I know what the next several scenes are.

Crawl for slower typists
will be the perfect crawl because it's designed to be 1667 words exactly which is the NaNo goal of the day and it's broken into tiny challenges.

I need to write 10 words to lure my muse: DONE

My muse doesn't show up but the guilt monkey is here and I have to write 30 words to make it go away: DONE

It worked! And now I have an extra boost of creative energy so I'm going to write 50 words: DONE

I'm still trying to get my muse to show up so I write for 10 minutes and try to summon some plot bunnies: DONE

WAIT. I miss read and I was supposed to write 10 words not for 10 minutes LOL
I just wrote 310 words, so....
that means I also wrote my 77 words after drinking some coffee...
I also wrote 20 words with a new pen...
I have to write 500 words because there are 500 pieces of paper in a ream. Already wrote 203 words of that, so 297 words to go:

you know what. i'm tired and i don't need to write 1667 words today.
195 left in this last challenge.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

WHAT I'M WORKING ON IN 2022 <3

Currently most excited about....
WHEN I WAS ANNA
Novel 6
Pitch:
Spoiler! :

Marching band season is here, and Summer wants to prove that she is the perfect choice for the next drumline section leader. All she has to do is beat her rival Micah at a chair placement audition and squash her social anxiety enough to not melt at the thought of leading the heartbeat of the entire band.

When Summer discovers that Micah is already familiar with the audition music, she decides there’s too much at stake to play fair. She begins chatting with Micah online under the name “Anna Blackwell”, hoping that a fall fling with Anna will serve as the perfect distraction to get Micah off his game. Summer finds herself slipping more and more into Anna, loving the comfort and honesty she feels talking to him. So much so, that her online feelings are starting to get confused with real life feelings. Annoying interactions at band practice now feel dangerously close to flirting, and that was NOT part of the plan. Summer must decide if being honest with Micah – and herself – is worth the risk of losing him, and possibly the title of section leader.

WHEN I WAS ANNA is a 66,000-word YA rom-com told in a mix of prose and online conversations. The story is Catfish: The TV Show meets TWEET CUTE (Emma Lord) with the feels of a Rachel Lynn Solomon romance. It features social anxiety, alopecia, and Crohn’s disease representation.

Other 2022 plans...
24 HOUR LOVE STORY
Status: only exists in my brain, planning to write the first draft once Anna is in the query trenches!
Vibes: friends to lovers in 24 hours. only one bed. very fast, sort of illegal road trip. adrenaline junkies. boy is in love and girl isn't sure. dual POV/dual timeline. shenanigans.
99% sure I know the title ;)

BUNNY ROM COM
Status: Started to NaNo, changed my mind, 20k done and need to finish!
Vibes: Childhood friends to rivals to lovers. Fake Dating. Rory/Lorelei mother/daughter bond. Mental health rep. Cottagecore. Literally so many bunnies.

FALLING ON THIN ICE
Novel 5, was once called Liz + Zac
Status: I'm actually so close to finishing a new draft. Still not entirely sure what I'm trying to do/say with this one but I think I'm getting closer?
Vibe:
Figure skating. Complicated families. Secrets. "It could have been a rom com, but then..." People who should be together but aren't together. "Call it what you want" by T.Swift.

Ask a Therapist!

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

LOVE the only one bed trope!

Also squeeee for L&Z - it feels like a part of my childhood at this point <3

1162 Reviews

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:01 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

WHERE WE'RE AT

We're almost halfway through 2022 so it's time for a status update!
My writing goals for 2022 were:
1. get When I Was Anna ready to query/start querying
- DONE, am querying

2. 24 hour/roadtrip romance draft
- almost camp nanoed it, changed my mind but still hope to return

3. finish a bunny rom com draft
- we're over halfway and I plan to be done by the end of the month!!
- the book is now called NO BUNNY BUT YOU

4. get Falling on Thin Ice to a point where I'll let people (Icy & Mea) read it.
- this might be what I work on next.....

(it's time for another word crawl)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

LATE SUMMER UPDATE

My writing goals for 2022 were:
1. get When I Was Anna ready to query/start querying
- DONE, am querying

2. 24 hour/roadtrip romance draft
- almost camp nanoed it, changed my mind but still hope to return

3. finish a bunny rom com draft (it's now called NO BUNNY BUT YOU)
-DONE, with betas <3

4. get Falling on Thin Ice to a point where I'll let people (Icy & Mea) read it.
- this might be what I work on next.....

I'm a little tired of writing at the moment so I'm taking a small break and spending at least the next month actually finishing my camp nano goal which was to read Story Genius and use that to force my little pantser brain to figure out what Falling on Thin Ice is about. I think I'll also do the same for 24 hour Roadtrip Romance because I also don't really know what that book is about beyond vibes.

I'm hoping by then I'll be excited about diving back into writing and I'll finish one of them before the end of the year! (probably won't finish both at this point and that's fine, but you never know. miracles happen).

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:57 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

In honor of me finishing NO BUNNY BUT YOU and finally discovering the plot of FALLING ON THIN ICE at 11:53pm on a wednesday I will now be word crawling again as I slowly begin trying to rewrite falling on thin ice for the third time 8)

I will be doing the word crawl I wrote myself for Camp NaNo but haven't actually tried yet....

The Ultimate YWS Word Crawl
^i had way too much fun writing that and now let's see how much i'll end up regretting all of my life choices.

I wrote 130 words of Falling on Thin Ice this morning because I was excited :)

First, for the basics I write for three minutes: DONE, 83 words
Then to determine what team I'm on, I have to write for 18 minutes: DONE, 326 which makes me Team monkeys

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:07 am
Carlito says...

STOP ONE: LITERARY WORKS

My favorite is obviously prose, so I check out the All Literary section and sprint for 28 minutes: DONE, 546

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:12 pm
Carlito says...

(this was over a few days because i'm still sort of taking a break and am not currently in power writing mode)

My favorite literary category is obviously romance, so I have to write 677 words: DONE, 681

There are currently 116522 literary works total (awesome!!), so I have to write 522 words: DONE, 525

There are currently 630944 reviews total (amazing!!!), so I have to write 944 words: DONE, 954

Now I have to skip on over to the green room. There are 75 works in the green room right now so I have to write to the nearest 1000 (and do a review). That's 828 words for me, which will get me to 4000 words total: DONE

DONE WITH STOP 1!!

Ask a Therapist!

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence