Young Writers Society

Let's Hope We're Lucky

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:21 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Let's Hope We're Lucky

Tony and Ya have been friends for years. Ever since Ya, who Tony nicknamed Queenie, emigrated to Arkansas from China, the two have been inseparable. A day hasn’t passed without the two of them spending time together. Ya likes how nice and outgoing Tony is and Tony appreciates how easy Ya is to talk to about his home troubles.

One day, Tony comes home to the trailer park with Ya to find a package on his doorstep. It’s the DNA test he saved up three paychecks from his job flying crop-dusting planes for. They both hurry inside, rip open the package, and discover something they both expected. Tony’s dad isn’t his real father. Sure, Tony doesn’t remember what his mother looks like, but he in no way resembles his dad. His real father actually lives in Italy, thousands of miles away from them.

Ya and Tony go to the aircraft scrapyard down the street, one of the only places in town that lets them hang out. Suddenly, Tony has a brilliant idea. What if they ran away? The scrapyard just got a new plane yesterday that still ran. They could use that to find Tony’s father. Ya’s hesitant. This is Tony’s problem, not hers. But Ya hates the the thought of letting Tony fly across the Atlantic alone, so she eventually gives in.

With the help of the owner of the scrapyard, Tony and Ya are off on their adventure to Naples. Too bad the owner of the plane forgot to tell them about its multitude of problems. Not only do they have to lay low and avoid authorities, but now there’s a small chance they may never reach land alive.

xXx

I will be doing this Sims 3 Word Crawl for this novel! I'll try to get a first post out by tonight!

142 Reviews

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Alright, let's get to it!

Our Word Crawl begins with one sim in particular who is clutching her stomach, stomping on the floor, and waiting for her idiot husband to stop being stuck by the cheese plate in front of them to just take her to the hospital.

The cheese plate turns out to be too big for him to have walked around it. But not to fear, with a magic explosion of sparkles, I've come into the world as a baby. Now I have to do a five minute sprint as my mother’s womb sparkles in light.

If I write 200 or more words, I can choose either Genius or Loner as a trait.
If I write 100-199 words, I can choose from these traits or any below: Evil, Good, Neurotic, Social Butterfly
If I write 99 or fewer words, I have to from these traits: Clumsy, Couch potato, Hates the Outdoors, Insane, Grumpy

I wrote 191 words! That's more than I thought I would. I think I'll choose Good! Time to do another five minute sprint to choose my next trait. I got 177 words. A bit less, but my mom needed something so I lost my train of thought. :/ I'm definitely not a Social Butterfly, so I'm not going to choose that. I think even though it's "bad," I'm going to choose Clumsy.

Apparently, I enjoy spending time awake in my bassinet, watching my poor Sim parents struggle with sleep deprivation and grilled cheese plates. I cry for them for my diaper, for my empty stomach, so that you can spit up on them. But babyhood is fleeting, so now I have to do three, five-minute word wars- one for each day in my baby life!

Dang, I lost two of those word wars. I got 416 words in (no wonder I lost), though, so I'm pretty close to a thousand. Speaking of a thousand.. I just realized I'm about to age up. It's time to sprint to the next thousand! There's only 210 words between us and the next part of our life as toddlers!

Well, I wrote 273 words to end today at 1,068 words! I had a lot of fun doing this, so I'll definitely post another section of the Sims 3 Word Crawl either later this evening or tomorrow!

✨Snippet Of Session's Writing✨
“There should be a spare key in the ignition of that car,” Tony said, pointing to a crimson Studebaker to the right of Ya. The trunk of the car was completely crushed and the windows were either missing or broken. Ya turned around and walked to the car. She reached her hand through the passenger door window, grabbed the keys out of the ignition, and returned to Tony.

“How’d you know that?” Ya asked as she tried each key in the lock. There had to be at least twenty keys dangling from the one ring.

“Mr. McGill told me that if I’m ever stuck in here and can’t crawl out, the keys were there. Probably thinks I’m fat or something.” Tony said leaning on the gate. Ya opened it and Tony fell forward on the ground. Both of them shared a laugh and then Tony stood up and handed Ya her bag and spare books.

“You’re not fat,” Ya said. They began walking forward to their favorite spot. In the back, Northeast corner of the scrapyard was several planes. Some were old and rusty, and some had crashed and were brought to the scrapyard. The corner faced the dirt runway that Mr. McGill used to bring the planes that still worked to the scrapyard.

✨Word Counts and Other Things✨
Words This Session: 1,068
Total Words: 1,068
Traits: Good and Clumsy
Money: $0
Lifetime Happiness Points: 0

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

This is such a cool novel idea and I'm excited to see how it goes!

142 Reviews

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I'm so happy I've influenced another person to do word crawls and post their progress as they go!! And a Sims word crawl!!! Why must you tempt me so :p

Excited to see how this progresses!

<3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

142 Reviews

142 Reviews

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:35 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Woo, day two! Let's get to it! And yes, I know that is a Sims 4 gif. I just couldn't find any from the Sims 3.

Ah, toddlerhood. One of the best phases for terrifying glitches and getting ahead in life. But I've have some basic skills I've gotta learn, right?

First up, food and drinks are the essence of life. But where does it all go? Diapers are expensive! Time to do a ten minute word war!

- If I win: Just in time! No more messes for this kid. I'm onto big kid underwear now!
- If not: Time to fill up my bladder and try another one!

Alrighty, I got 321 words! That's pretty good. I won, so I don't have to do it again and I can wear some proper underwear.

Okay. Now I've figured out what that big round water bowl in the bathroom is for. I've got tp tell someone about my amazing discovery! I've got quite a lot to say. I have to ramble on leisurely for fifteen minutes. I might go in circles, I just better not stop rambling or I'm gonna forget how to talk!

So in my rant talking about the toilet, I wrote 484 words, which brings me up to 805 words today! Apparently the toilet was very interesting.

Finally, I can go to the bathroom, I can tell stories, but how the heck am I supposed to go places to show off our new life skills? And what are these long things under my food compartment and lower food exit? I was going to go to NaNoWriMo's Twitter to see if there's a word sprint, but because I'm on my school iPad and Twitter's blocked, I'm going to sprint myself for five minutes!

I got 213 words! That's pretty good for me, actually. I'm going to do one more challenge then call it a day!

It’s time for me to age up again! Word sprint 300 words!

- If you finish in 5:30 or faster, choose from these traits or any below: Ambitious, Bookworm, Computer Whiz, Genius, Loner, Lucky
- If you finish from 5:31 to 7:30 minutes , choose from these traits or any below: Evil, Good, Neurotic, Perfectionist, Social Butterfly
- If you finish after 7:31 minutes, choose from these traits: Clumsy, Couch potato, Hates the Outdoors, Insane, Unlucky, Night Owl, Grumpy

Sigh, I got 304 words in nine minutes. Guess I'll be a grumpy little child. Anyways, that's all for me today! I really enjoy writing around 1,000 words a day, so I'll try to post tomorrow, too!

“10,000 were sold of that piece of crap?” Ya said, motioning to the plane, “Who’d want to use that?”

“Many people. It’s actually a pretty cool machine, if you think about it.”

“It’s a pretty cool machine to you, Tony, not me. All I see is metal.”

“That’s too bad, Queenie,” Tony said. He was looking forward, his eyes glued to the plane incoming. The plane kept lowering in the sky until it’s wheels touched the ground, at which Tony yelled, “Touchdown!” And held his fists up in the air. Ya rolled her eyes for what seemed like the thousandth time today.

Words This Session: 1,322
Total Words: 2,390
Traits: Good, Clumsy, and Grumpy

142 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:21 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day three. I'm surprised I've kept the streak this long. And yes, again, I couldn't find any Sims 3 gifs. They're just nonexistent apparently.

So, yesterday I became a child. Childhood is magical time. But aging up from a toddler to a child in one day is pretty exhausting! I check under my bed every night for a monster as I get ready to sleep. Lo and behold! A tentacle arm comes after me! Now I must attempt to defeat the Fifty Headed Hydra by sprinting to the next hundred!

Since I only had ten words left to get to 2,400, that was a piece of cake.

My alarm woke me up early in the morning (stupid alarm, I wanted to sleep). I spend thirty minutes going to the bathroom, thirty minutes taking a shower, and I barely make the bus that’s been honking incessantly outside my house as I scarf down a cereal breakfast.

The first day of school! New friends. New activities.

- If you have at least one trait being the Genius and/or Good trait, your first day was easy peasy! Stroll for fifteen minutes as you breeze through your first day and earn yourself an A.
- If you don’t have either of the previous two mentioned, but have at least one trait being the Evil, Clumsy, Loner, or Grumpy trait, your first day is gonna be a little harder for that A! So let’s do a thirty minute word war. If you win, you earn yourself an A!
- If you don’t have any of the traits mentioned, do a fifteen minute word war. If you win, you earn yourself an A for the day!

Since I have the Good trait (and also the Clumsy trait, but we're ignoring that one), I'm going to do a fifteen minute stroll!

Yikes, only 272 words. I did get sidetracked halfway through, so that explains it. We're up to 282 words today!

What a busy day it’s been! Looks like tomorrow is a field trip day! I'm way too excited! Let’s try to wear myself out by sprinting to the nearest thousand! That means I have to write 328 words!

Woo, I wrote 395 words! I really like where this first part is going so far. I'm going to stop here for today because the next activity is a 1k30min and I really don't feel like writing another 1,000 words today.

Ya and Mr. McGill watched him maneuver the metal bird down the runway and take off.

“That was nice of you, Mr. McGill,” Ya said, “But you didn’t have to do that.”

“Tony doesn’t have many good deeds done onto him, Miss. Liu, so I do my best to be kind to him whenever I can.” Mr. McGill was staring out at the runway. The plane had completely disappeared over the horizon.

“Do you think he’ll ever escape?” Ya asked. It was a topic she thought about nearly every day.

“I’m aware of that. But I have a feeling that very soon he’ll be able to escape his situation. If he doesn’t, well, I’ll have to help him leave myself.”

Words This Session: 677
Total Words: 3,067

142 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:08 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day four! I was at my friends house last night so I couldn't write. :/ Also, I just liked this gif because she sort of looks like me. Maybe I'll have to start making my own gifs for this.

I wake up the next morning, nice and early. I leisurely spend an hour trying to get to my breakfast from around my idiot family that has managed to crowd the fridge. But as I sit I come to a horrible realization: I haven’t done my homework! Quick! I've only got thirty minutes! Attempt a 1k30min!

- If I'm successful- Congratulations! You got yourself another A!
- If you weren’t, you can either continue on without the A or show your dedication with a 1 hour word war (which I definitely won't do)! Regardless of if you win, take the A for your effort!

I only wrote 294 words.... how embarrassing. I did finish up Part One, though! Unlike what I would do in real life, I'm going to continue without an A.

Well, I am totally out of time. Sorry this was such a short post!

Tony came bounding out of the plane, “That was awesome!”

“I’m glad you liked it, Mr. Bryson,” Mr. McGill said, “I’m glad you take an interest in these sort of things.”

“Me too,” Tony smiled and walked up to the two of them.

There was a brief moment before Ya spoke, “Well, we better be off.”

“What?” the smile quickly faded from Tony’s face once more. He didn’t want to go home.

Words This Session: 294
Total Words: 3,361
Last edited by looseleaf on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

142 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:09 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day five! Woo! Sorry there's no gif today, I'm on my school iPad and can't copy the links.

Anyways, I left off at the field trip! The field trip is to the police station, please stop locking up the police officers! That’s not nice! Wait! Don’t touch that machine! Hey! Give us back those keys!

This would be a great setting for a scene! I'm going to write a scene involving a police station, a trip somewhere, or lost keys. If none of those options fit, I'll just ramble on as I look at the neat things for ten minutes.

Since I'm not on the part where they're in the plane, I rambled on for a bit and wrote 372 words!

My field trip must, of course, come to an end. But I'm not going home empty handed! Oh no! Just for being there and letting the nice officer out of his cell, I get an A! Ooh be gah!

Extra credit! My teacher wants you to clean out the class Cowplant’s area. If I want an extra A, I have to do another 1 hour word war. Since I'm in class and definitely don't have time for that, I'm going to pass up that opportunity, which means I currently have two As.

Time passes, but by time I mean a few more days. It seems to be my birthday! My two friends/acquaintances have come over, my birthday cake is on the counter. It’s time to blow out the candles! Let’s do it in one biggggg huff! A 100 word sprint should do it!

- If you could do the 100 words in under 2:30, great job! You age up in sparkles!
- If not, you were too slow! Your birthday cake caught your house on fire. Do a ten minute word war while everyone is freaking out.

Alright, 121 words in 2:27! Thank goodness my house isn't currently on fire. Because I had two As, I can pick from these traits (and worse ones, but I'm not picking out of those):

- If you had two A’s, choose from these traits or any below: Dramatic, Evil, Good, Hopeless Romantic, Neurotic, Perfectionist, Social Butterfly

I think I'm going to pick Hopeless Romantic, even though I would say I am definitely not a Hopeless Romantic in real life.

Ugh, what’s with this hair style? And these clothes I've aged up in? I'm going to change into some stylish duds with some great hair, and after I save my game (back up your draft!) so that you can come back to this style.

The smell of the house hit Ya like a rock. It smelled of alcohol, rotting food, and something else Ya couldn’t identify. There were bottles of beer everywhere: on the couch, the table, the counters. Everywhere. Tony was at the only clear counter space, madly digging through a drawer.

“Need something?” Ya asked.

“Scissors.” Tony replied. Ya turned around and looked around the house. Finally, she laid eyes on a pair of rusty scissors on the TV set. She grabbed them and returned to Tony.

“Here you are,” Tony took the scissors from her without hesitation. Ya looked over his shoulder, “What’s in the package?”

Words This Session: 493
Total Words: 3,854
Traits: Good, Clumsy, Grumpy, and Hopeless Romantic
Last edited by looseleaf on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:12 pm
View Likes
Euphory says...

Wooooo you're going strong! <3 keep it up!
Viola Tricolor also known as wild pansy, Johnny Jump up, heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, love-in-idleness, and pink of my john-

142 Reviews

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:25 pm
View Likes
Euphory says...

You're most welcome! <3
Viola Tricolor also known as wild pansy, Johnny Jump up, heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, love-in-idleness, and pink of my john-

142 Reviews

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:16 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day six on day five because I'll be taking a break tomorrow! I can not believe I've made it this far.

School is pretty much the same as it was before, doing homework on the bus, locking my field trip hosts into random things, doing extra credit for the As. But now my social life is hoppin’ (shocking, I know)!

In fact, my parents have gotten a mysterious, free, two-day vacation! Home alone! So I decide to throw a wild party.

- If I have the Lucky trait or can write 250 words in 5 minutes, your party was a success! Everyone’s been talking about it! You have a positive moodlet and +100 Lifetime Points!
- If you have the Unlucky trait or take more than 5 minutes for 250 words, your parents decided to come home early! Sprint to the nearest thousand to try and clean everything up in time.
- If it took you more than 6 minutes, your parents came home and you’re in trouble!

Alright, I wrote 329 words in 5:27 so I'm just going to assume that I hit 250 words by 5 minutes... I hope that's alright! So that's +100 lifetime points. Now it's time for school! Some traits were switched today because of mood swings, but because I don't have any of them, it doesn't affect me. I make it to the school, sneaking in through the window. I'm well on my way to a prank well-done.

- If you are Ambitious, Lucky, or Evil today, finish your work with another ten minute word sprint to hurry the job along and get out of there! Great job with the prank! +200 Lifetime Points!
- If you are Unlucky today, sprint 500 words in 10 minutes. If you win, you’ve completed the prank against all odds! +300 Lifetime Points! If you do not succeed, you’ve been busted! If you were in trouble before, you’ve been grounded!
- If you are none of the above, do a fifteen minute word war, if you win, +100 Lifetime Points! If you don’t, you’ve been busted! If you were in trouble before, you’ve been grounded!

Alright, I wrote 403 words. I was racing against my sister, so it was a pretty easy win, if you ask me. That's all I'm going to do for today. Tomorrow I'll write, but I'm going to take a break from the Word Crawl and write on my own. I'll post an update, though!

Ya looked at the computer screen. The top circle was titled “father,” but didn’t have Mr. Bryson’s name. Instead, it was Lauro Marchetti, and under it was a boy by the name of Franco Marchetti. Both shared at least 50% DNA with Tony.

“Holy shit,” Tony was holding his hands on his head, “I have a brother. A brother, Ya!”

“Wow, a brother!” Ya said sarcastically, “I get that you’re excited, Tony, but you need to think about this.”

“I need to think about this?!” Tony exclaimed, “Ya, this is the best damn thing that’s ever happened to me. Just let me be happy.”

“I would if I could, Tony, but first we need to figure out how this happened to you before you can be happy. Why is your real father Italian, why have you never met him? There are a lot of ‘whys’ that need to be answered!”

Words This Session: 732
Total Words: 4,586
Lifetime Points: +200

142 Reviews

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

OK, so I took a break from the Word Crawl today to just write at the pace I want. I promise tomorrow I'll be back to the Word Crawl. I'm actually shocked with how much I wrote today. Granted, I wrote for like two hours total, but still. I'm going to do a bit of outlining later today, as well!

“Do you think Mr. McGill is here?” Ya asked as they walked through the front gate of the scrapyard. The walk there had been silent.

“Probably. The building’s lights are on.” Tony pointed to the small cinder block building in the corner of the scrapyard. It held Mr. McGill’s office, a bathroom, and a small garage that held the car Mr. McGill was currently fixing.

Ya and Tony walked to their usual spot near the Piper Cadet and sat down under its wing. Ya pulled her notebook and pencils out of the plane and flipped to a blank page.

“So,” she said, scribbling the little information they had, “What’s the plan?”

“I don’t know,” Tony’s head was resting on his hands and he was staring forward towards a giant pile of scrap, “Do you have any ideas?”

Words This Session: 912
Total Words: 5,498
Lifetime Points: +200

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb