Young Writers Society

The Beehive

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

THANK U <333

listen, I shouldn't be surprised, but I managed to make the first draft lighter to start off with, so I made the mistake of assuming I could do it again!!
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:39 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

ok so, I didn't actually work on Starry Veins today.

I am TRYING, once again, yet again, to write the stupid pirate novel that's been like, the most accursed thing on my heels for the last several however-many years (four). I've started reworking draft three for the THIRD time. obviously, I'll probably stall again, since I'm working on Starry Veins for Camp NaNo and I have school (FINALS).

but like. I actually wanted to work on it tonight (yesterday?? lmao my sleep schedule is broken and so am I). I genuinely wanted to write tonight. and, I didn't do much in term of actual word count, but I think I accidentally fixed the problem that made me stop on the second attempt at this draft. and a bunch of other problems I was having, actually.

hi blue if you're reading this, you once again (unknowingly this time) are the champion of this novel and the only reason it's still kicking around. she did a live-tweet of Pirates of the Caribbean and for some reason, even though I've SEEN the movie a dozen times, and I've thought about how it could influence my own novel, I've never been able to contextualise any part of the story to refurbish for my own desire for my novel. mine is much grittier, much gayer, and the story is just. completely different.

and then I was reading her live-tweet thread tonight (yesterday) and I went "why isn't maeve's dad some kinda ghost with a ghost crew that she's stuck on? why doesn't she get taken (rescued) from him, as opposed to anticlimactically sneaking away from him and then having several boring chapters of me trying to desperately find a way for her to join the crew shana's going to join?"

trying to get shana and maeve on the same crew, of pirates, was like trying to get a job where you just walk in and are like "here are my qualifications, please hire me because my dad is missing and i need you're help to find him/my dad is the worst and i'm running away from him", and it just. didn't make sense. also, there's a super cool, gay sword fight between shana and maeve, and it just. happened. why. also, shana and maeve hate each other at first (enemies to lovers babey), and i had justifications, but it felt so bland and listless when i tried to write it during ye old first attempt at this third draft (i couldn't even get to them meeting the second attempt). maeve is terrified of magic and shana is made of it. maeve is grumpy and rude and shana is angry and easily bothered by everything. but it was just, really uninspired and made no sense.

if the first time they meet, maeve is trying to kill shana and then maeve gets captured by the pirates (who she has been hearing about how awful they are from her father, an ex-pirate hunter, for years) that shana's now sailing with, i can still have my super gay swordfight, and i have a way for them to have genuine and real animosity towards each other at first.

anyway. this session was really just me going through and editing Maeve's first three chapters to adjust to the new setting, and also reaffirming that, despite my fears of it not having enough of a vicious and pirate-y feel to it, it's very vicious and (hopefully) pirate-y. but. it felt way better than before. it felt right. I don't want to hold my breathe, because I've said that kind of stuff before, but. I don't know. I feel like I might actually have found something this time, and I feel like I could get excited for this, and maybe I could actually love this story.

we'll see how long this attempt lasts. third times the charm?

(no tally because just editing lines, cutting them, and adding new ones)

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:19 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

ok I've been slacking off on actually updating this thread BUT I HAVE BEEN WRITING ACTUALLY

EMBER HAS ENTERED THE CHAT god I missed her I love her so much. she's as brilliant as ever, and I wriggled in the "you should know better" "should I? I'm thirteen" line again which was one of my favourites. I might be setting up too much Mishal and Ember when I need to be having some Mishal and Alanna, but it's cute and I don't care.

ALSO ORI!! The last time I wrote Ori was while I was still Very Deep in repression about my own identity, so coming back to writing them now that I'm out is,,, therapeutic in a way I don't know how to properly express. their voice is so peaceful, and I'm not sure whether it was writing their point of view or getting my first binder (!!!), but I've been feeling very Affirmed and Validated for the last day or so, which is really, really nice after feeling very lousy about it for several weeks on end (thanks mum). I'm really excited for their story (and also sorry for what I'm going to do to them lmao).

The Last Few Days Tally (combined)
Words Written: 2,766/???
Total Word Count: 11,557/15,000

they/them

351 Reviews

Sun May 02, 2021 5:46 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

CAMP NANO HAS BEEN CONQUERED *waves sword around*

Got lazy with updating the thread again, but I was writing, and I did meet my goal! I'm only a little disappointed that I fell so far behind and that I did get much over the word count I set (that sounds crazy when I write it out lol), but I needed to be gentle with myself, and this was what I could manage, and I got it done and I'm happy with that <3 I missed these kids and it feels to be writing them again.

I don't know how much more I'm going to be doing until the semester is over, but the end is in sight and I don't have much longer to worry about it!

I remember how I originally was intending to write these novels with the possible intent that they could age with a reader (read when younger and then grow up with them), but that is just. not going to happen lol. I'm too intense of a writer to scale my novels down to a younger audience.

The Last Few Days Tally (combined)
Words Written: 3,520/3,443
Total Word Count: 15,077/15,000

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I was so worried I wouldn't work on Starry Veins after Camp NaNo, or at least until a little while after school because I didn't think I'd have the energy, but since my theatre professor squashed our three assignments to sun/mon as opposed to the two we normally had for mon/wed, I got enough of a grade on my final essay for English that I don't have to revise it, and math homework is somewhat minimal during the week, I actually was like "HEY I can work on this today!" of course, I waited until much later than I should have. I got to hang out with a friend today, and I pushed off writing until I had to then eat dinner, and then I was meeting with them, and then I got distracted afterwards by Stardew Valley. I'm a wreck lmao but it's ok because I got The Writing done!

god this draft is. so much better. I know what's going on now. I'm not just blustering my way through or giving my characters too much information.

Cassius: *gets himself into a situation where he is mildly inconvenienced and grossed out so he doesn't get caught trying to pull a prank*
also Cassius: why do bad things happen to me :(

he's such a drama queen I love him so much.

"mel, what does this room look like that cassius is in?" "excellent question! I will provide no details or helpful information."

Yesterday/Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,594
Total Word Count: 16,704

they/them

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Wed May 05, 2021 11:02 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

and then I got distracted afterwards by Stardew Valley

I mean, if this isn't me then I don't know what is.

I love how much you love your characters! I really need to get back into reading Starry Veins - I made my way through the first couple of sections you'd posted on here and then as I always do got completely distracted. Officially adding this to my never-ending to do list!

351 Reviews

Wed May 05, 2021 8:46 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

ahaha well, if you have a little spare time and would be interested, I have a much better and more updated draft in progress that I could throw into a google doc for perusal 👀

also "never-ending to do list" lol 😭 what a mood

they/them

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

ahaha well, if you have a little spare time and would be interested, I have a much better and more updated draft in progress that I could throw into a google doc for perusa

I have no spare time, but yes please xD

351 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2021 5:29 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

I kinda staggered on working on Starry Veins (I've written since my last post, just not... a lot). I finished Cassius' chapter, I started on the next one (which is Ember's!! return of the queen herself!! I adore this little spitfire), but then I was like "I'm just going to,,, do a LITTLE bit of editing my pirate novel" and now I have two whole new chapters and a slew of new notes, so clearly I failed to follow the "a little" bit of that statement.

IT'S WAY MORE CONCISE NOW! The girls haven't met yet but they're going to in like, the next chapter/two chapters, whereas before I was up to chapter 11 (where I am now) and I still probably had 2 or 3 chapters before they even got on the same ship. after halting on a scene for like, several months, I conceded maybe that scene was just Not Going To Work, but now it all makes sense and works better now, so !! return of the pirates???

I need to start a word crawl again. that'll be good for me as I kinda fumble around after going months without doing much.

(it's also probably best to work on this one anyway because apparently my brain said "we need full angst" which is not what should be going on in starry veins, but pirate novel it's entirely appropriate in, so I've found a better outlet now)

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:52 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

I obviously have to update because GAY SWORD FIGHT!!

I mean, more importantly, the girls have finally met, but all I care about is the sword fight. is it as dramatic as I wanted it to be? idk it was like, 11pm-1am when I was writing, I don't have a brain then.

this chapter is way too long (upwards of 6k words and I'm not even done with it yet) but I don't care! it's the third first draft, so it doesn't matter! nothing matters! I'm literally just vibing right now.

also, obviously I see the opportunity for a parallel (within the same scene lol) I'm going to take it:

Why wasn’t the woman attacking her? The dark eyes searched her, watching as if in wait, but she made no movement towards Shana. She only continued their trajectory of circular motion, like they were planets orbiting one another.

Shana didn’t strike again. The boiling anger in her chest compressed and it became hard to draw in a breath. She wavered even as she stood her ground, and a wash of strange, cool nervousness swept through her veins.

She sneered as they circled for a third time, tempted almost to let some of the magic spark off her. “What are you waiting for?”

Everything felt muffled; muted. Distantly, Shana was aware of the still-present clamour of the battle raging above deck—it couldn’t have been more than a minute or so, maybe less, since her own confrontation had begun—but in that exact moment, it felt like another lifetime away.

She shivered against the warmth—warmth—of the woman pressed against her, gripping her. Seconds away from slitting her throat.

Time stretched like caramel before them, dripping with their shared blood and the heat of the fight. Adrenaline still rushed through her, almost enough to make her dizzy. Her eyes were damp, and sweat rolled down her spine like a child’s fingers.

“What are you waiting for?” she murmured, daring to crane her chin slightly to peer over her shoulders. From this angle, she could barely catch the dark, fire-lit gaze of the woman, staring right back at her.

No tally as always, but I wrote 6k+ words since last updating, so there. one day when I become more consistent (lol) maybe I'll get back to it. Or once I start a crawl.

they/them

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:37 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

GAY SWORD FIGHT GAY SWORD FIGHT
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:05 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

*me smushing their faces together* NOW KISS!!!!!!!!!!!

351 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

how am I gonna top the gay sword fight? I probably won't.

BUT I am about to go for a Word Crawl again, for fun (and motivation lol I am Big Sleepy).

This time I starting out p simple, I'm doing a dice bag mini word crawl! also because I just got two new sets of dice like the goblin I am and I want to use them for something because, you know. what else am I going to use them for right now

First up: the d4. I've already rolled it before writing this up, but I would like to say, I thought "I bet, now that I don't need it, it's going to roll a 4" and let me tell you all. I was not wrong.

This one is 100 x the roll (anyway between 100-400 words), and, well. 400 words it is for me.

update: lmao oops I got a little overzealous and wrote 2,393 words instead of 400. CHALLENGE COMPLETE now I'm very tired and must go to sleep so I might catch some sembelance of sleep before work tomorrow and also interview which I, predictably, did not prepare for today like I should have :)

but chapter is complete!! shana became a storm!! kassidy used confusion and it was super effective!!

this chapter is, so long. so long guys. I even took a chunk of it out and moved it to another chapter and it's still. so hecking long.

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 am
mellifera says...

wow hi it's me I'm back and this time WITH ANOTHER WORD CRAWL

(aka I just realised PitMad starts in September and last time it happened I was like "I can't do it this year!! one more draft of Colonia Heights and THEN I'll do it" and now I'm on that one more draft and have *checks notes* about a month to finish now if I want to even try to get in. I probably will still chicken out and I'm almost positive there's no way I can make that kind of deadline with work and school before then, but having a gentle deadline for something I am currently telling myself I will totally definitely do and not skip again is helpful)

Anyway, I have three crawls lined up I think, but I'm going to start with the Supernatural one because I hate myself and also I saw it first lmao.

It is a Normal Day™ and I am doing research with Sam (why can't I have my own posse why do I have to be stuck with these idiots), but Dean is Dean and forces,,, specifically me to go to a bar even though he wants "everyone" to loosen up. what is the truth.

Regardless, I have to write 100 words protesting this.

I got 196 with some edits peppered into some previous sections that I was peering over as I was going.

Ok, can confirm that Sam actually does come with us because we get attacked by a werewolf (why) when we get to the bar and Sam is immediately knocked out (best hunters in the entire world tho). The next sentence was really confusing because of a typo and it really took me a second to understand it, but I think what it says is that the werewolf rips Dean's chest up (it says "but he [dean] werewolf rips his chest to shreds" and I wanted to know what "werewolf ripping your chest" meant lmao).

I have to sprint for five minutes! which is just the coolest because I'm basically at the end of a scene so I'm gonna probably get almost nothing done.

Got 190 (so close) this time, which leads to the outcome of "we survive, very hurt, but I save us for reasons". The other was "Sam and Dean die and you have to bring them back" because of course you do. I hate it here.

Anyway, I have to write 100 words as we heal (from ONE werewolf??? what kinda werewolf).

Ok I actually did 819 but I was on a roll and finished the chapter. Motivation has been found once again. For now.

that's 1238 words for today! perhaps I will add the tallies back, perhaps not. for now, I'm lazy lol. but FOUR CHAPTERS DOWN like, 24 more to go rip.

they/them

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz