Young Writers Society

The Beehive

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:09 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Enter my lair, if you dare to see what lies within

aka I got tired of making different threads for different projects because I'm the flightiest writer and bounce around so much between projects. they're fine for notes, but I'm just going to update this. also I decided to steal Carlito's idea of word crawls, because I've been dragging so much lately.

for posterity though, my projects and their various forms onsite:

colonia heights status: waiting on beta feedback [description here]
pirate novel project thread status: third draft in progress [description here]
starry veins - project thread starry veins chapters status: draft two in progress
carter's support group status: stewing, getting notes for draft three occasionally
rival bards status: first draft is finished
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

351 Reviews

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:19 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I'm starting with a pirate adventure crawl because it seems super appropriate since I'm writing my pirate novel right now. I really want to do the LoTR crawl, but I'll save that one for when I'm working on another fantasy (not to say pirate novel ISN'T fantasy, but you know).

The rules are as follows:
1) You can use a piece of eight to buy your way out of a challenge. You’ll find these along the way, along with other items that may or may not come in handy later on.
2) Dice used is a standard six sided one. If you don’t have any actual dice, you can use this digital one (I GET TO ROLL DICE)
3) You can redo any challenge if you’re not happy with the results.
4) Have fun!

I start out in a tavern with a treasure map (I'm not quite sure how I got it), and I am being persuaded by three different pirate captains to join their crew and give them access to my map. I have to do a 5 minute word war while I listen to their words.

I got through 207 words, trying to find my groove again without disrupting the work I've already put in for this chapter.

Now I have to choose one of the three captains. There's Captain Christopher "Cuttlefish" Anderson and he captains The Black Shark. He'll give me three pieces of eight to join him. There's also Captain Tack, who has a parrot which weakens me a little because bird, and captains The Blood Seeker. He'll pay me two pieces of eight to join him. Lastly, but not least, there's Captain Annabelle MacFanning, she's mysterious and no ship is named, and she'll only pay me one piece of eight.

It's probably best that I now have to do a ten minute word war to determine who I will pick because I'm a weak gay who can't resist a mysterious woman.

I GOT 460 WORDS AND I NEEDED 501 I CRY. Instead of getting to choose who I sail with, I get kidnapped. I roll a die. 1-2 Christopher snatches me, 3-4 it's Tack, and 5-6 it's Annabelle.

Oop, I didn't even have to let my gay win, I rolled a 5 (the dice I painted are so good to me and I never get to use them *cries*). Annabelle it is. I do still get one piece of eight for my trouble (do I steal it? does she give it to me? who knows).

Annabelle has dragged me out of the tavern and onto her ship (I'm dying what is her ship's name this is killing me). Except then she left me without explanation in front of her whole crew to go to her cabin (why you gotta do me like this Annabelle).

Looks like I've got to write 200 words to charm the crew with sea shanties (of which I have some skill) and my jiggling skills (of which I have none). At least these are metaphorical.

I got 301 because I was on a bit of a roll. I'm just going to finish the scene, rather than move on to the next challenge though, because it's a word count goal/timed sprint and I don't feel particular up for the pressure nor do I think this end of this scene will be even the least amount of words long.

146 more words (including a little bit of adding to a few places because I'm insufferable)! Which means I've managed 1k today! I'm getting back into it *finger guns*

I did some writing! It's not quite up to the quality I think I was at before, but honestly, it's something. I can't write at 100% all the time, and I just need to get through it now, and hope for the best. I do like it well enough, and I think it'll make the next chapter a lot more powerful anyway.

it is a little easier for me now that I've actually wrangled a semblance of a magic system together instead of going "I'll figure this out later".

It's the third draft, mel, you can't figure everything out "later".

Today's Tally
Word Written: 1,131
Challenges Completed: 3
Pieces of Eight: 1
Meme of the Day:
Spoiler! :

Snippet of the Day:

“Shana,” Reina said, firm but not unkind. “This won’t always be this hard. I believe you have the strength in you to figure out the power that slumbers inside of you. Magic is, at its best and to the wisest of men, a complex and endless unknown.” She hummed. “Like the sea, in a way."

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I wasn't expecting to get delayed but I ended up having some Full Days that did not allow much in the way of writing. But! I am back, so I'm all ready (I'm not)!

The quartermaster (no name??) has come up to me, seemingly impressed by my display (*flexes*). He has also offered me a weapon, because I Do Not Posses One apparently (what am I doing with no weapon honestly). 300 words or less and I get a dagger, 500 words or less and it's a pistol, and more than 500 and I get a sword. The ideal outcome is a pistol or a sword.

476! I have a GUN. heck yeah. I am wearing my lucky jacket (or as my dad calls it, my "gunslinger jacket" which is appropriate I guess).

I am now officially part of the crew! There is a suspect man who is giving me the stink eye though, but he disappears immediately, so hopefully I won't get shanked?

Anyway, I've been called to the captain's quarters. Whatever shall happen in there? 👀

I am given really expensive rum. I am apparently Luis from Antman? anyway. She keeps giving me rum after I've showed her my treasure map. And keeps giving me more. I have to roll a die now to see how many she actually thrusts upon me. 100 x amount I roll on the die.

cri I pulled out my hollow metal d6 hoping it would roll low for my bcus lazy but I rolled a SIX. rip. Annabelle wants to get me hammered I guess.

OKAY 609. I'm pretty sure I pulled teeth out for that one.

After at least six shots of rum, I Pass Out. I mean, yeah. Seems about right.

That's the end of a part one and also my energy! Let's move onto the tally.

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,092!
Challenges Completed: 2
Snippet of the Day:
“Why are you here?” he asked, barely audible over the storm. His voice cracked, groaning like the ship, like the tension of speaking was just as much a burden as the rough, angry seas were on their small, hapless, wooden vessel.

She dug her nails into palm and flexed her fingers. The weight of the question Cailean was unknowingly asking pushed against her shoulders, crushing her. She turned her head and spit out the blood onto the deck. It was washed instantly away by the rain.

Maeve wiped her mouth and stared back at Cailean. “Why are you?”

(also?? much more suspicion between Maeve and Cailean, and it's much better. I'm gonna have to start,,, amalgamating together stuff from these chapters though,,, nyegh)

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Two for one babeyyy

Just kidding, but I am actually here for the second day in a row, so good for me? I just found a music box ambience with ocean and ship creaking noises so I'm Quite Pleased and also Ready to Go.

Since I got absolutely smashed and passed out, I now have to do a twenty-minute word war while I sleep it off (more sleeping? who am I to question rest). This would have been perfect if I had gotten this challenge when Shana had her hangover, but I guess it's not meant to be.

I got 605 words! That's a little sad because I could have gotten more, but I had to look up something and forgot to turn off my timer while I did >.> That's all right, because I'm feeling Quite Good about this chapter actually, where I wasn't yesterday. I think at this point I'm kind of ignoring the outline I wrote and going with my gut, and I'm not hating it so far. Maybe this novel will actually turn out??

Anyway. I wake up in the crew's quarters, nice and warm in a hammock (unlike maeve who woke up cold and wet above deck). Because I had to read through to see what was happening, it seems like I got a really good deal with Annabelle. She's nice. im gay

I do have to spend five minutes word-warring to go above deck and see what's happening.

Oof, only 136 words. I felt good but apparently was not jamming.

Oh! But we're under attack by an unknown assailant!! And a pirate just got blown back from the blast and they were manning the cannon, so I have to rush in and fire now. I have to roll to see how many cannonballs I fire, and multiply my result by 100 to see how many words I have to write. I will not roll my metal d6 again because it betrayed me last time. I'm going to roll my glittery gold one instead.

I'VE BEEN BETRAYED AGAIN. WHY CAN'T I ROLL THESE SIXES WHEN I SNEAK ATTACK???

anyway.

I got exactly 605 again lol.

I'm taking a break for tonight because it's another word sprint and also I sort of ran out of the motivation for the scene. But I've given myself some a Vicious scene to work with, so that should be fine to work with although it is not either of the girls and is also very Gross so.

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,346 (and feeling good about them!!)
Challenges Completed: 3
Snippet of the Day:
The captain’s quarters were spacious and well-decorated. There were badges and medals dedicated to her father’s service in the Royal Navy and to his special accommodations as a pirate hunter, one of the few who were not blatantly mercenaries hired by the crown. There were bearings of his trophies in glass cases of varying sizes: a broken silver tooth; a medallion with the crest of an osprey; a dagger covered it rust that made it look blood-stained.

The newest hung on a bull’s skull on the left wall: a bloodstone ring that dangled off a scarlet stained chain. The blood still looked fresh.

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:30 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

THREE FOR THREE :pirate2:

anyway.

The ship is under attack (as is Cailean, in my scene. rip Cailean), and I know have to fight enemies as they board our ship! (despite those SIX CANNONBALLS I FIRED INTO THEIR SHIP wtf) I have to spend 10 minutes sprinting because I have a pistol and can shoot enemies from afar (thank god it wasn't a dagger! would have lost my One (1) piece of eight).

377 words! I mean,,, eh. We're pacing it. It's fine.

We've defeated the enemy pirates! Now it's time to climb over onto their ship and steal from them. they thought they could take us. pfft. I do have to roll a die though and I would bet any amount of money I'm going to now roll terribly. I will use my lucky d6 (idk why it's lucky it's just the first die I ever got and I've never actually used it so we'll see I guess).

1 or 2: find five pieces of eight
3 or 4: ten pieces of eight, plus a bottle of rum
5 or 6: five pieces of eight and a strange looking bauble

I rolled. a. one. I ROLLED A ONE. THE FIRST TIME I WANTED TO ROLL HIGH AND I ROLLED A ONE. this is a betrayal of the highest degree. my dice are committing a capital offence. arrest them.

rip me I guess (the die is not lucky, have learned).

I did save someone's life though, and he's wearing a scarf with is adorable. I apparently don't know how to feel about being a part of the crew now though?? part of the ship part of the crew
It doesn't matter, because Captain is assigning duties to repair the ship. I'm doing...something helpful. And I have to roll the die again and multiply that number by 100. I guarantee that I will roll a six again. I have 100% confidence. I'm using my traitorous purple die that betrayed me two seconds ago to see if it can redeem itself.

I rolled a four, which I can't complain about. Would have been nice four seconds ago though (but a 5 or 6 would have been better I really want a strangle looking bauble).

I did 534! A bit of an overachieve, but I guess rolling low gives me incentive lol. also Gareth is gross and the Worst.

The ship is repaired, and I am tired, so that's what I've got for today! curses @ my dice

Today's Tally
Words Written: 911
Challenges Completed: 2
Pieces of Eight: 6
Snippet of the Day:
“I’m sure you’ve seen a cat before.” Her father swung it around in his hands, the leather tassels slicing the air as if trying to cut it apart and rip the oxygen out of the room to drown them. Then he came back to her, and to her horror, held the butt of the whip out to her.

Her mouth went dry and her mind blank. “Father?”

He narrowed his eyes. Then he leaned down until she could feel his hot breath on her ear. It felt like a worm wriggling inside her brain and she held herself perfectly still.

“Prove yourself to me,” he whispered. “Prove you’re strong enough and loyal enough. To me. For me.” He pulled away, placing the cat of nine tails in her hand, and then his hands on her shoulders. “I know you can do this. I know you can do right by me.”

they/them

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I am LIVING for these gifs.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

This crawl looks FUN!!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

351 Reviews

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:54 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

@BluesClues they're so soothing to look at??? I love them

@Carlito it is fun!! plus it's motivating me to actually write + is relevant to pirates, so !!

they/them

351 Reviews

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I'm stealing @BluesClues introductory posts for novels, because it fills the thread and makes it look like I haven't missed two days of pirating.

C O L O N I A H E I G H T S

Word Count: 94k
Genre: Magical realism, elements of mystery and horror.
Synopsis: Felicity doesn't have the emotional willpower to say no when her sister Fiona asks her to move back to their childhood hometown, Colonia Heights. But all Felicity's last memories of Colonia Heights were sour, and the last place she wants to go is back.

And when she does get back, Colonia Heights is off-kilter. A girl went missing, only nobody remembers her, not even her best friend. A circle in the nearby forest died, leaving only a wishing well in the centre. And there's a strange presence in the magic...that seems to be watching Felicity.
Synopsis but as a list:

Spoiler! :
💗Found family
🧸Soft boys who have feelings and also express them (sometimes)
✨Real world but magic
🤝Emphasis on strong, platonic relationships and bonds
👻ghost
🏳️‍🌈The main cast are all lgtbqia+/queer
🥀Necromancy (Soft Edition™)
🕊️Doves!
🏛️Copious amount of unnecessary Greek mythology references
📚...and other references
💔Angst (of course)
👀Many mysterious things
🌲Loving the forest and wilderness
🦉 >:(
🌌 ?

excerpt from Chapter One, "Colonia Heights"

Fiona whistled as the sign came rushing towards them. “Welcome home,” she said.

And then it was past them. Her stomach felt like lead. They had crossed the boundary line, though it felt more like stepping into Charon’s ferry to cross the Styx.

Her sister’s voice grated in her ears and she closed her eyes to drown out the buzzing in her head. It did nothing. We were home, she didn’t say. This place hasn’t been home in years.

There was a tickle at the edge of her conscious. Her magic prickled, not unlike the sensation of touching a low voltage, exposed wire. It disappeared as soon as it had come.

By the time they had gotten to the first line of commercial buildings, her eyelids were half-shuttered, lashes hazing her vision. Maybe if she looked at it through a veil, a filter, it wouldn’t hurt as bad.

The nostalgia was about as useful and vile as food poisoning. It coiled in her stomach, and as she looked out at the corner gas station, she was too hot despite the frost seeping in through the windows. The saliva in her mouth was thick and warm and tasted like blood.

None of it felt real.

Colonia Heights was the same, soft-hued town she remembered. The snow blanketing the ground and reflected the sun—bright enough to hurt her eyes—gentled it even more. It was quiet right now, only a car in the gas station and one on the road ahead of them, and next to nothing else.

It was almost lifeless.

they/them

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:21 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Omg the list and that A E S T H E T I C

351 Reviews

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:55 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

U N T I T L E D P I R A T E N O V E L

Word Count: ???
Genre: Historical fantasy, adventure.
Synopsis: Shana Madigan's father was supposed to be there for her when she applied as an apprentice of one of the wizards on the Council of Elder Witches. But he isn't. And the Council considers a volatile storm witch like herself to be too high a danger to train. But her father's absence is only the beginning. Upon finding her aunt murdered, Shana comes face to face with her killer...and is accosted by the criminal. She is forced into her father's bloody past with hunters she didn't know existed.

Maeve Castilla was not always under the heel of her father's boot. She used to know a life of quiet and love. Now all she cares about is her brother's safety. Until the chained and beaten once-pirate captain whom her father has sworn enmity against tells her of a sorceress who can save her. From her father and her aunt, a renowned blood witch known for her keen tracking skills. With only the name Starlight and a ring to identify her by, Maeve takes her brother and flees, chasing after the very magic she fears.

Synopsis but as a list:
Spoiler! :
🏴‍☠️pirates (OBVIOUSLY)
🗡️vicious girls
🌟alternate history where I never admit it's history in the novel but you know it is (and there's magic and elements of high-fantasy)
🔮spooky dreams that aren't dreams?
👥a hooded mystery figure?
⚔️gay swordfights
🩸blood magic and necromancy (bad edition)
🎶a charming fae musician
⛈️calling storms and humming with energy and glowing eyes and also lightning bolts sparking out from veins
🌌speaking to something you don't know about but is comforting since it has been there since you were a child and also special,,,secrets,,,???
🎀angry storm witch allowing child to tie hair with ribbons
🦦they didn't have a seal which is relevant to the story so have an otter instead
👢maeve wears really tall boots and shana notices constantly

excerpt for Chapter I

"I promise."

But there was no ship on the horizon. If she turned away from the ocean, she could see the yellow-gold spectrum marring the blue of the sky behind her. There were patches of powder blue still clinging to the sky like an optical illusion, as though if it tried hard enough, the sky could trick one into thinking it was still day. Morning, even. Morning with the suggestion of rain, rather than the ushering of the night and the direct threat of a storm.

Somewhere that was muffled from her came a crackling noise. The hair loose from her sweat-damp neck rose, sending thrills through her body. Electricity thrummed in the air. She stared back at the distant thunderclouds, but they were still miles away. And she could see no lightning splitting them apart.

She stared down at her own hands and the bottle clenched under a white-knuckled grip. Pinpricks of blue-silver light glittered over her arms and down to her hands. Sparks popped off her and landed fizzling on the docks beside her. The glass whined in her hand as the storm began to sing in her head.

There was really nothing stopping her from calling it. She turned back to the gloomy horizon. If she really wanted, if she pushed herself to every limit she could possibly conceive, she could call it here and swell it. Putting all of her into it, she could will a storm so massive it could utterly ruin Cheshunt and the next several coastal settlements to its north and south.

She took another deep gulp of the rum and as she let her arm fall back to her side, a bolt of lightning arced from her shoulder and hit the bottle. It exploded, shattering into a thousand shards of glass that sprayed the docks around her, like crystal rain.

they/them

1735 Reviews

Supporter

351 Reviews

Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:42 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

Hey look I'm BACK and actually WRITING

We're starting off with a dice roll, which is about to determine how bad or good of a time I have because it's going to decide what music I listen to. I have to write as long as whatever music I roll plays. 1-2 it's Mermaids from POTC IV, 3-4 it's No Quarter by Alestorm, 5-6 it's Epic Pirate Music Mix (I'm SURE there's only ONE of these)

I rolled a one, and this time I'm not mad about it! I have no idea what the music from the other two options sounds like, so at least I have something familiar. Note to self: blue dice didn't viciously betray me, why didn't I use them sooner? they're BLUE.

I got 379! got,, interrupted right at the end so I cheated a LITTLE and wrote like, 10 more words after the song had ended. sue me. it was good music, 10/10, wish I had gotten to a Bit where the sudden change in tone would have really fit, but alas.

I forgot to mention I was singing, which is why I had to listen to music. I have suitably impressed my crewmates now. If I wrote less than 300 words, I would have gotten nothing and would have been forced to stay on watch in the crow's nest and write 100 more words. If I had gotten 500 words, one of my crewmates would have given me a shiny jewel as thanks. But I got more than 300, so I get three pieces of eight and get to sleep.

Nothing happens for several days, but I have been accepted into the crew as another member of the "piratical family". Where's pirates in real life when you want them to take you away and absorb you into their family by singing to impress them? I could totally do that.

However, I do have to sprint for 30 minutes to get through this long journey. thank god Muffin has trapped me by sleeping on my lap or I would try to escape this one (she's got her head tucks against my hip she's so precious I cry).

(omg she's so asleep her head just completely slid off my hip and now she's just hanging wtf she's so adorable??)

30 minutes done! I'm? eh about the actual writing. I don't know why this scene is so challenging because both times I've been excited to write it. Suspense is hard man.

I have to write 250 words now as an island (The Island, on the treasure map, if you'll remember from the beginning of the crawl) is spotted and I have a Very Bad Feeling about this, which can only mean good things to come for our pirate-y tale. (it's ok, Shana has a bad feeling too, though it is specifically because her home has been broken in and it smells bad).

I think I wrote 328, but I actually can't remember where I started. I definitely wrote 250+, but the actual logistics are debatable.

I'm going for the next challenge of writing 100 more words as I go ashore with Captain Annabelle and a select few crewmates. I have assuaged my nervousness, I think.

177 words! And chapter is done! *flexes* it was a short one though. I did also skip the scene I actually need to write >.> I just haven't figured out how to finish it yet. I'm hoping it will come to me.

this is also dragging out longer than before. Oops.

Since the next challenge is another 20 minutes, I'm gonna break here. Muffin can only hold me hostage for so long. But I finally wrote something!! So who's the real winner here?

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,567
Challenges Completed: FIVE
Pieces of Eight: 9
Fire Metaphors: too many
Snippet of the Day:
Her magic was growing more insistent, as the siren song at the docks had, but she kept swallowing it back, forcing it to stay quiet. Better to keep your enemy in the unknown. Force them to adjust to you, not the other way around. Her father had told her that.

There was enough light, and her eyes had adjusted enough, that as she skidded into the common room, she saw Reina almost immediately.

Her aunt was face up on the floor, the whites of her eyes glistening in the dim, hollow light. She stared sightless up at the ceiling, hair undone from its usual composure to spill over the floor like overturned paints. Her skin was whiter than bone, her face gaunt and hollow. The only disturbance in her otherwise still composure was a tear in the pale fabric of her tunic. As Shana stared at it, mind blank and cold, she realised it was a gaping wound. Except there was no blood.

Blood witch. She felt like she was falling. She felt like she wasn’t even in her own body. Blood witch.

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:20 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I wasn't going to do more word crawl today, I was just planning on doing #20in20...but then I realised that the next challenge is literally to do a 20 minute word war, so let's go.

And since we have come to a fork in the road and the Captain is asking me where to go (bad choice I'm terrible with directions), my word count will determine where we go (I'm going to go left, I guarantee it, because to go right you have to get more than 600 and there's no way).

holy heck!! I got 670!!! I was on SUCH A ROLL and I finished the chapter I avoided yesterday!! and I'm actually super pleased with my words and where the chapter went!! I'm going to ride this high for the rest of the night lmao.

Oh yeah, I'm going right by the way! I don't even care what happens! I said I wasn't going to achieve it and I DID. subverting my OWN expectations.

Tomorrow (hopefully lol) is new chapter, one I ACTUALLY REALISE I HAVE THE PERFECT REASON FOR CAILEAN TO BE SYMPATHISING WITH MAEVE WHICH I DID NOT THINK OF BEFORE SO!!! I am Pleased.

Today's Tally
Words Written: 670
Challenges Completed: 1
Maeve's Mental State: Not Good
Snippet of the Day:
Her hand stung like thousands of needles pierced into her skin. There was no blood to warm the pinpricks that sprung up through her arm. The whip was already warm under her touch, solid and leathery. The tails dangled still as she made sure not to shiver. She couldn’t, or she would be a coward for her fear. No child of Gareth’s was a coward.

She met Cailean’s gaze once more. He had a searching, curious expression. And yet, there was none of the hatred she had expected. He looked like a man, a bloodied and beaten man. He was no scourge, nor devil, nor lurking menace of the deep, as her father so often emphasised upon. He had brown, weathered skin from exposure to sunlight, the onset of wrinkles at the corners of his eyes and mouth. He had blue eyes that looked black in the low light, and hair drenched with sweat and with blood.

“Maeve,” Gareth said, the edging of impatience creeping into his tone.

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:58 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

OKAY back on the path of treasure and piracy babeyyy!! I'm leading our expedition into the jungle and it's very spooky (me levels of atmospheric spooks! short prose but honestly good job at the creator). We come out of the thick of it into a clearing where there is a very clear pool of water and a waterfall. Something is moving in the water. The map leads straight into the water? TIME FOR A SWIM

I have to write 100 words as I approach the water and a MERMAID appears! A good mermaid or a spooky mermaid here to drag me to the depths of this pool? 👀 we shall see.

I went for 287 because I was finishing a bit! Maeve is brooding up in the crow's nest (what's new) and I write in overt metaphors because I'm nuts for them.

The mermaid asks if I have anything for her. I do not, because I did not get a shiny jewel or strange bauble (sad. >:[ @ my dice for being so mean to me). Because I have nothing, I have to write 500 words to convince her to help me.

503! this scene is way harder than I thought it was going to be, but I'm still pleased with how it's going nonetheless!

Mermaid won't help though, and is insisting we leave before she kills us :/ but my MAP!!

Instead of confronting her though, I guess we're just going to continue traipsing through the jungle. As we go through the jungle, we pass a crumbling monkey statue, two trees that grow together to make a strange shape (lol this isn't anything new I've seen this before irl). I feel as though my party is being watched and pursued. I do nothing about this.

The map leads up to another clearing (what happened to "the map leads into the water"???). We have come upon the ruins of a village (GOOD THING THIS ISN'T IN THE STARRY VEINS UNIVERSE). There is a building made completely of human bones (rad) and it creeps me out (but secretly I think it's rad), but somehow I Know this is where the treasure is.

I ask Annabelle who will look inside and she smirks at me (@ShadowVyper did you write this?). I have to go inside.

But then! we are being ambushed! by strange enemies!

Tune in next time to find out WHAT THEY ARE THOUGH because the next challenge is a 30 minute word war and I don't have a cat holding me hostage now (and might put up some more halloween lights before I get too sleepy).

Today's Tally
Words Written: 790
Challenges Completed: 2!
Sneaky Foreshadowing to Shana/Maeve: Accomplished
Snippet of the Day:

Maeve’s favourite task on the ship was lookout in the crow’s nest. It was the one time she felt at peace, save for the dregs of sleep. Up here, it was just her, the endless stretch of the sky and sea and the place they met on the horizon. The only time they could touch in a place no one could see them. It was beautiful, in a way.

And it was a delusion, in another. They weren’t really coming together; it was only an imitation. Lovers parted by circumstance, or those who had never loved each other in the first place.

they/them

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown