Young Writers Society

The Beehive

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:40 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

mellifera wrote:Nadia really thinks she's being sneaky when it comes to Celeste but every single person in her family knows that she is super gay and an idiot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the content I come here for

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:27 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

the kind of content that I am all too happy to deliver ;)
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

this gif once again has almost nothing to do with the chapter but it was cute and I am weak.

I love getting to the end of novels, oh my god. I didn't really get to feel this for Starry Veins because it was so staggered, but UGH. it's so good. it's such a good feeling. I'm really happy with how this one is turning out, I've shaken the writing funk I was in. Very Good, Very Good.

also I think Celeste has cursed more in this chapter than all other novels I've written combined.

threatening to kill someone who can read your mind was not something I expected to write in this novel, or any novel, but WOW did I enjoy it. I love Celeste, she's so much.

also no snippet today because literally every single scene in this chapter is a massive spoiler.

Tally of Today and Yesterday
Words Written: 5,463
Total Word Count: 91,696

they/them

351 Reviews

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:15 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

OH MAN today was a,, very intense writing session. I have left myself off in a very, very high moment where stuff is about to HAPPEN.

I am SO PUMPED oh my god.

Tally of Today
Words Written: 3,858
Total Word Count: 95,116
Snippet of the Day:
Nadia was the one who began this time. A slow, entrancing melody at first, which built in tempo and volume until Celeste raised her violin and pulled out her first, sweet note, like honey dripping from a spoon. She began to shift, in slow motions at first, around the piano. Circling Nadia, like a wolf circling a deer, forcing herself to look without intent. But as the music drew on, swelled or crescendoed, so too did she quicken her pace, or bounce on her feet. When every step, she pulsed magic into the arena floor, sending glowing orange lights like autumn sunsets bursting out from her feet, like the ground itself was magic and she was just a simple traveller.

The anxiety fell away. Everything did. It was just her and the music, Nadia and her and the music, and they were riding over the crest of waves, over the peaks of mountains and the dips of valleys, gliding through the clouds and letting the sun reach down to kiss their skin and hair and fingers. To warm and to lighten their touch as they played, so that the only thing that mattered was the music.

For however long it lasted, Celeste was entirely at peace.

they/them

351 Reviews

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

SO MUCH HAPPENED omg. this was such a good session even I did kinda get lazy a few times, but in the places I didn't, I'm very proud of (currently). I didn't finish before midnight BUT honestly, for as much as I did and for the product, I'm happy.

I feel like this novel has the biggest catfish ever and it's delight.

Celeste is such a fun character and I'm so sorry that I doubted her at first. I adore her. she's pulled out so many things in this novel that I didn't have planned but fit so perfectly in ways I wasn't expecting and I love it. I love her unpredictability.

ANYWAY let's see if I can finish now *cracks knuckles*

Yesterday's Tally
Words Written: 11,461
Total Word Count: 106,597
Snippet of the Day: (some Naughty inside)
"Haven’t you heard? Autumn is the season of reaping. The harvests get brought in by the scythe. And the cold starts to cycle of rebirth, but the corrupt and, yes, even the strong have to die first." As she spoke, she pulled on the raw magic of her Lady’s symbol and felt the cool handle of her sickle materialise in her hand. "You’re not the only fancy bitch around here with a weapon from a god."

they/them

351 Reviews

Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

IT'S DONE, FOLKS!

The ending is going to need some work, mostly for the sake of tying some plot threads up as well as just for the sake of efficiency and clean-up, because most of the novel's chapters are 1-3k long, and between 32-34, there are some MASSIVE chapters (particularly Nadia's 7k chapter because she had a lot to get through in one chapter and scenes I felt had to be in, but seemed too short on their own, and would double up Nadia's pov chapters, which I was trying to avoid, though Celeste has two instances of two chapters in a row).

Also snippet is mostly because literally everything is, once again, a spoiler but also, "Today it is justice" feels like a Very Good line, especially in context. There is a lot of poetic justice at the end that feels so good.

I apologise in advance if anyone reads this particular draft and has to deal with all the A- names like a cluster bomb at the end. I didn't notice how many I had accumulated until I'd done it.

Also, resolutions? lol

Yesterday's Tally
Words Written: 6,137
Total Word Count: 112,711
Snippet of the Day:
"Sometimes love is the most powerful force. Sometimes its hope. Its always something.
Today, it will be justice."

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

wow hello it's been a second

this isn't so much an update on novel progress because I haven't been actually writing much prose, but I've been planning, so this is me?? talking about my planning because I want to and this thread needs updating.

I SHOULD be writing pirate novel, but I've done only a little for that (mostly I'm at a scene that I'm kind of stuck at. this novel is still giving me a really hard time. even loose historical is killing me). the plot still doesn't feel strong enough and it's frustrating to no end.

I've been working on Secret Novel, which I'm planning on writing in my leather-bound journal (!!!) and I'm VERY excited for! I really need this novel, I think, in the same way I needed to write Colonia Heights. so I just gotta really figure out the plot, and then it's Handwriting a Novel For Me, Babeyyy

What I HAVE been planning a lot (and by planning I mean maybe 20-25% actual planning and 75-80% worldbuilding) is the trueblood universe. I love it so much and GOD am I excited to work on the next drafts (I WANT IT ALL TO BE DONE AND PUBLISHED SO I CAN SEE EVERYONE'S REACTIONS BECAUSE I HAVE SO MUCH PLANNED!!). It's been a lot of me sitting down and going "ok, I ACTUALLY need worldbuilding for this hugely important thing I just glossed over/was vague about in the first draft" and then not doing it. but I finally got myself to do it! I've started outlining the second draft of Starry Veins, and I have a vague/loose overall outlines (in which I really just named scenes that will happen throughout the series, put them under their appropriate novel, and then fleshed it out a little bit for myself. this is surprising helpful because coming up with scene names is fun, so you just come up with a bunch, describe what happens in them, and bam! outline). + I've also begun to, just a little, working on the novel that happens BEFORE starry veins, taking place during the Summer's War (!! look at me!! I finally named it something other than the BLOODY or BIG war!!!), which I'm ALSO very excited for (mostly excited for character dynamics since that's mostly what I have right now. don't know who I'm more excited for? but they're all totally different and it'll be a fun party to be travelling around together. for example, feral child guarded by her loyal and devoted construct protector. immortal who got kicked out of the immortal squad [as I wrote in my notes lol] and doesn't know what to do with himself. sad soldier boy who just wants to war to be over and gets shoved into treason). the events that take place then will affect/crop up in starry veins, so that I'm actually writing a part of history in my own world, which I've never wanted to do before, is super exciting to me.

they/them

351 Reviews

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

wow look I'm back *throws confetti*

anyway, it's camp nano time!! I have a pretty bite-sized goal of 15k words, which I may or may not bump depending on how Stressed I am from school.

I'm working on Starry Veins again!! I'm so stoked to be returning to this novel, and I've been thinking about it A Lot lately, so I'm hoping I can keep this forward momentum. I can't express how good it feels to be WRITING AGAIN and NOT FOR SCHOOL

I may have leaned a little too much into my purple prose because I was being a little self-indulgent, but I did genuinely write maybe too much plot into one prologue. I know prologues aren't necessary and a lot of people actually hate them, but I'm letting myself have them because I Want Them and I Said So, and you can just try to pry them away from me. I also maybe got a little indulgent with my dialogue and it being a little too political intrigue-y (it's me wanting to be writing the second and third novels when the political intrigue is amped up to full). I don't care, I was having a good time.

still. "prologue is too long" *first draft prologue is 1.8k long* me: ok, I will do better next time. *second draft prologue is 3.5k long* me: ( : o h n o

I missed writing, cut me some slack

anyway. draft two is underway!! children have been stolen!! the plot has begun!!

also I would die for little Isadora, as would Jax.

stats, because obviously those are the most interesting part of these posts:

Today's Tally
Words Written: 3,545/500
Total Word Count: 3,545/15,000
Snippet of the Day:
She glanced down at the hoop, before grabbing it and raising it up to show him. It was disorganised right now, her hands still unsure and unsteady, but she was remarkably focused and calm for a five-year-old. “They’re flowers. Like the ones on the windowsill.” She pointed to the open window where flowers swayed in the early ushering of the colder seasons once again. They would have a beautiful blaze of glory when all the colours turned for the Season of the Land’s Ball, but then they would wilt into frost. Still, it added a splash of colour in the somewhat murky palette of Shadebough.

“I can’t wait to see what it will look like when you’re done.” You’re going to have a little sibling soon. He walked over and leaned down to give her a kiss on the forehead. She beamed. “Though no flower could be as pretty as our little princess, could they?”

Isadora giggled under her breath, ducking her head sheepishly.

How could anyone suggest even harming your little sibling?

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I was so stoked to work on this and then homework and writing my script consumed me on friday, I was in enough pain that it knee-capped my motivation to do anything on saturday and got less than the Bare Minimum done, and was also swallowed by homework during all my free time yesterday. I would like to thank, respectively, school and also my body.

my girl though!!! I've gotten to Isadora!! :sobs: I love her, and I think I'm getting her voice down this time around. the planning I did over break did count for something, or at least I FEEL like it did, because I feel like she has a real personality now that's coming through, and I'm Very Excited. I love her. (also ori!! they've made their entrance as well and I already love them all over again, I'm so, so excited for more ori)

also!! me?? giving places actual, proper names, instead of the first thing that comes to mind? it's... less likely than you think, but it DID happen today!! I'm changing some of the stupid names from the first draft lol

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,149/458
Total Word Count: 4,696/15,000

they/them

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

ahhhhhhh it's so lovely to see you so excited over getting to this character!!!

351 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:58 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

obvs I might be biased, but in the first draft I had a lot of feedback that Isadora's chapters had no voice (which is fair because I didn't know what I was doing with her lol), but now I feel like she's really coming to life and I :sob: I love her even more now

they/them

351 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:07 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I was trying to find a cool, metaphorical way to summarise today's writing session, but given it's full of shouting and also angst I thought this was kinda perfect (also the general mood of the day, thanks @ my brain).

anyway, this chapter is WAY angstier than it was in the first draft. I kind of miss the goofiness that the first draft opened with, but the circumstance is different. I def want to use the "don't you realise what kind of trouble you'd be in if I hadn't been the one to catch you doing naughty things?" "ok I'll be more careful next time" "cassius no--" conversation between Isa and Cassius. Or at least somewhere. But I'll figure it out. Right now, the kids are Sad.

I'm just happy I got to write today, honestly. today was a Big Sad Day, and I really didn't think I was going to be able to get myself to do anything. but I did!! it softens me a little, when I can still manage writing on these days. not a complete loss today :)

Today's Tally
Words Written: 893/429
Total Word Count: 5,589/15,000

they/them

351 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I didn't think I was going to end up writing today by the time I actually sat down to do anything (: but I got through it. Wasn't quite as satisfying as the last few days but? I'm just happy I got some writing done, so I can't complain.

but WOW I made the first chapter SO SAD lolol also long. so long. but mostly it's just, so sad. and it's fitting but what a weird way to start out a novel (I say, like I didn't start a novel out with the mc angsting about her absent family and drinking her sorrows down, or the other mc under the thumb of her abusive father, or the other novel I started with the mc literally being sad and hating nostalgia the whole time. maybe it's a trend). but it does feel like it has more purpose this time around. I remember writing the first draft and feeling really aimless and like I was trying to fill it in so it existed, but now it feels like it exists for a reason, which is great!

also, all the angst it will bring about later

(I really do hope whenever I finish these novels that someone reads the series and then rereads it and despises me for what I've done and all the angst I've woven carefully into this narrative tapestry that only builds off itself :twisted: )

Today's (and Yesterday's) Tally (combined)
Words Written: 1,944/427
Total Word Count: 7,533/15,000

they/them

351 Reviews

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

HEY I WROTE SOMETHING TODAY

I sat down after d&d tonight and I was like "I will continue homework because I have to" and then I Did Not do that and let myself get continuously distracted for like, a good half hour, and then I was like "ok, well, if I'm not going to do important schoolwork, I need to write then" and then I did that!!

I might have written Mishal a little too eloquent lol he's baby right now. but I'm tired and I don't care, and it's pretty, so I'm going to pretend it's ok. I said in my outline notes "he needs to be more regal this time" and then just made him kinda soft and frightened and sad.

I need to stop making this novel sad because it's supposed to be light-hearted right now!!

also a little bit of technology actually incorporated because I didn't forget this novel is supposed to be a soft blend of fantasy AND steampunk lol

also I wrote a poem and revised another do I win napo even though I wasn't participating? because I never write poems so I think I won something for my effort.

Today's (and Yesterday's) Tally (combined)
Words Written: 1,249/533
Total Word Count: 8,791/15,000

they/them

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:57 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

GOOD JOB U <333 who needs to do homework when you can write instead anyway

I need to stop making this novel sad because it's supposed to be light-hearted right now!!

*chanting* one of us! one of us!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare