Young Writers Society

Untitled Pirate Novel

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:32 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

thank you @Carlito! It's been,,, interesting haha
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

351 Reviews

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Fourteen- Shana

"her hands were red with blood, though they looked more like she’d dipped them in paint.."

Daily Word Count: 2,159/142
Total Word Count: 35,033/35,000
Meme of the Day (Sekani @ Shana and Maeve): enspoilered because swear
Spoiler! :

I SCREAM? I DID IT? I was mega doubting myself and feeling lousy, in general, which wasn't helpful, but it is done for now and I do not have to worry about it and I can finally relax, for just a little while at least. maybe I will recover my lost brain cells? probably not, but if anyone sees them send them back my way.

I will probably come back to this and start updating again once July is over because I can't imagine I'm going to feel motivated to work on this at all with blizzard happening and at least attempting to relax while I'm camping, rather than stressing about how much writing I have to do (if I hadn't finished I think it would have been worse than doing editing for the short I got published four years ago while I was camping it was TERRIBLE I put a hoodie on once and pulled the strings so tight I just disappeared into it and my dad came into my tent and he was like "are you ok" and I think I just screamed)

here is!! one of my favourite bits though!! because I have a need to share useless information that I know. it is also how I feel right now.

Shana woke up feeling like a grotesquely carved turnip, the kind she used to hollow with her father for Samhain. Everything ached, though her shoulder in particular was throbbing. Her head didn’t feel so good either, a headache puling at her temples. Not unlike the ones she got when her dreams seemed so vivid she almost doubted they were dreams at all.

The room around her was dark. She was no longer in the room with the swaying lantern that smelled of herbs, which she now recognised must have been the infirmary. There was much more space around her, in fact.

She groaned and rolled over onto her stomach. She would be content if she never had to move again. She was exhausted.

they/them

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

you are way too good at writing !!!! but major congrats at hitting your goal this early !! have fun with camping and good luck with blizzard !!!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

351 Reviews

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Fifteen - Maeve

"it did not mean that her pride did not taste like the bitterest poison.."

Daily Word Count: 2,457/0
Total Word Count: 37,490/?
Out of Context Meme:

I'm not dead anymore! I have no deadlines to worry about! I can drift and see where the sea takes me, just like this novel!

This was more fun to write because it was half a scene that I had planned and was looking forward to writing and half a scene I came up with this morning while going "ok I HAVE to do some pirates today or I will abandon this project again" and immediately was happy about writing.

I! forgot! how much! I love! writing! elusive! and! tricky! characters!

(this is just me saying that I really miss writing Finn, as always, and I think about him basically all the time)

also-

gareth: liam was a storm sorcerer and this witch who killed alise might be his daughter because she's around maeve's age and we sent witch hunters after her but nothing came up
maeve: *is looking for a sorceress named starlight who is probably that storm sorcerer*
maeve, meets shana, watches her use her STORM magic to calm a STORM:
sekani, knowing what's up: maybe you should talk to shana about this sorceress, just for funsies
shana: ah yes and then I had a Moment and got witch hunters sent after me
maeve:
maeve: wait

I just, love her consistent Shana-blindness in EVERY draft. in the first draft, just never thought about it. in the second, Gareth TOLD her Shana's NAME and yet Maeve NEVER THINKS ABOUT IT until Shana says something about her father and sailing TWENTY-SOME CHAPTERS IN. Maeve is a smart character but also SO DUMB. she has gay blinders on.

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:23 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Sixteen - Maeve

"the darkness gathered like a storm cloud around her."

Daily Word Count: 685
Total Word Count: 38,174
Meme of the Day:

I was really not feeling it today? when am I ever

I can't tell if I'm just in a rut or if I'm genuinely not vibing with this project and should stop because this certainly isn't the first time this has happened with this one. I don't really know where I'm going with it. I definitely want to stick it out, and maybe I just have to get through this information exchange scene, but WE'LL SEE.

it could be that I'm just coming down from the high of the much more complex Starry Veins with all its different perspectives and story lines and characters. I guess we'll see how I adjust.

also HOLY HECK Maeve is GAY.

There's something almost discordant about writing Shana from an outside perspective, because I've written two drafts of this project already and they were both completely from Shana's point of view (except for the epilogue of the first draft which was partially Kassidy, but Shana wasn't in the scene), so now adding another perspective in is wild. Not... bad wild, but wild.

“I don’t understand why he wouldn’t tell me any of this,” Shana said quietly, her voice edged once more. “He tells me everything.”

“To protect you,” Maeve suggested, wishing she could just keep her mouth shut. Where had all the practise gone that she had gotten in when she was around Gareth?

A shadow of fury slid back into Shana’s posture. “Protect? Protection from what? Not knowing about a threat is as good as asking someone to put a blindfold on and walk into a cage with a chimera. You don’t know my father, he doesn’t lie to me. He wouldn’t conceal something like that.”

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:27 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Seventeen - Maeve

"it was a fierce and bitter strife."

Daily Word Count: 415
Total Word Count: 38,589

no meme because I've been on the same chapter for three updates and need to some New Activities

This is for yesterday actually, but I was really tired last night and had exactly enough energy for a 20in20 post and also I was on my phone and didn't feel like fussing with it to try to get this up.

I am once again losing the plot but what's new

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:35 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Eighteen- Shana

"the storm began to sing in her head."

Daily Word Count: 1,867
Total Word Count: I'll,,, figure this out later

I wrote a chapter today????

Technically, anyway. I actually rewrote the first chapter because I've been so unhappy with it, so I wanted to fix everything I haven't loved so far, which I feel is fair since I was rushing so much in the two weeks that I wrote it in.

I started at a different point, which was a little strange since I had planned the beginning for the months, but this is the third draft and I'm sick of being unhappy with this novel and I really want to uncover what it is I'm missing that's made it so bad to write. I read Crier's War yesterday, which sounds strange since it's automatons and a kingdom and the only thing with the sea is them being near it, but the tone of the novel and also Ayla and Crier's relationship also gave me a little more perspective on how I want Shana and Maeve to end up. It made me realise I need to re-evaluate my magic system.

Revising is terrible.

But! I'm very happy right now with this new, rewritten version, it establishes a much better tone then the first one did. Plus, I've been feeling so garbage about my writing later and losing my mind about Colonia Heights, it was nice to finally write something that I felt like I actually managed good tone, descriptions, and, you know, WRITING.

they/them

351 Reviews

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:21 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Nineteen - Maeve

"it was mortal of them, to be in such high spirits. sadistic, but mortal."

Daily Word Count: 1,326
Total Word Count: who even knows

I wrote most of another chapter?? I honestly don't even know what chapter this even is because I haven't actually figured out what is order, but I'm less worried about that anyway.

THIS IS A MUCH STRONGER MAEVE AND GARETH INTRO Kassidy needs to some workshopping but that's all right. It might be vague and confusing but?? honestly not as bad as just,,, being plain out bad lol.

I've leaned into full vicious for this one. I'm letting myself go with this story because I want to, and because writing vicious girls are fun.

for fun (there is blood but just from biting the inside of Maeve's lip, nothing too gory):

She had seen what these men were capable of unto other men. She hated to think of what would befall Cailean and the young man, as her father nor the crew seemed to believe them even human. Not worthy of any respect, not worthy of anything but suffering and death.

The cold rain seeped down to her bones, freezing her from the inside out, and she shivered.

Her father's hand clapped heavily upon her shoulder. She bit the inside of her lip so suddenly in her effort not to flinch that the hot, salty taste of her own blood flooded her mouth as she turned to her father.

they/them

Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson