Young Writers Society

Mage's Unnamed Death WIP

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If you were trying to put Emi's life into a box, the best way to do it would be by comparing her to the protagonists of the novels she devoured as a kid - her parents tragically died when she only a year old. Not so tragically, she was adopted a few years later by Violette Lockhart. Her life's been pretty simple ever since. The biggest conflicts in her life are the boredom of living in a small town without a driver's license and her best friend/older sister Jess living away from home during her first year of college.

But with summer on the way and Jess back from college, Emi has to face the facts: the bond she used to have with Jess is gone. Emi's not sure how she's going to face adulthood without her - or if she wants to.

Throw all of this together, and Emi's life is setting up to be the perfect coming of age story. There's just one little problem. Emi was supposed to die with her parents, and uncollected, young souls have a tendency to get a just a bit restless.

With newfound abilities, an unlikely friendship and tentative mentorship with a death deity named Ray, and the mystery of supernatural proportions, Emi's summer is gearing up to be unlike no other before.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:34 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Cast

Emiko Lockhart: The protagonist who honestly didn't ask for this. She's an Almost - short for Almost Dead. She can basically tap into ghostly abilities while still being alive, which leads to all kinds of shenanigans.

Ray: An up-and-coming death deity. Despite having only been around for a little more than a year, Ray's really good at dealing with ghosts - so much so that he's in the top thirteen of death deities. But even though his paranormal abilities are on point, his people skills are a little lacking. That's where Emi comes in - he teaches her about death, and she teaches him about the rest of the world.

Jessica Lockhart: Emi's older sister by two years. At the start of the story, she's back from her first year away at college. I haven't decided on a major for her yet, but I'm leaning towards something medical or forensics-related. She used to be really close to Emi, but they've drifted apart after Jess was away for so long.

Violette Lockhart: Jess and Emi's adoptive mom, who's probably going to get a name change by the time I finish this draft. Her age is still up in the air, but she's a single mother and works at the library down the street from Emi's house. Emi and her have a great relationship.

The Circle: The top thirteen death deities - which are currently being called dei until I get a better name for them. The better at dealing with death, the lower your ranking. Even though Ray just started doing death stuff recently, he's already up at number seven.

The First: Still coming up with a name for him, but he's the very first dei. He formed the Circle eons ago, but disappeared centuries before the story starts. His disappearance caused the entire ranking system to shift - and left the dei in disarray.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

"He looks like a turtle who's been through the Vietnam war."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi