Young Writers Society

The Battles We Wage

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:16 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

The Battles We Wage

The year is 2642. Planet Earth was declared uninhabitable in the year 2103, and humans were forced to evacuate to an adjacent solar system with two habitable planets, each around 3/4 the size of Earth. Gradually, humanity has regained its footing. Unfortunately, as a byproduct of this rapid inhabitation, both planets (Planet Moon and Planet Sun) do not have established constitutions. This has led Planet Moon to fall under the control of the dictator Maxwell Blaze. Under Maxwell's leadership, the military has tripled in size, the freedoms of speech, press, and expression have crumbled, and the government is responsible for redistributing wealth. Poor people are dying on the streets as the elite enjoy lavish dinner parties, and the populace is helpless.

Skylar, Myra, Darien, and Alexander are committed to creating a more just society. When their history teacher introduced them to forbidden pieces of literature from Old Earth, they became obsessed with the idea of re-instating democratic governments that would protect the rights of the people. They joined an underground organization dedicated to the mission of overthrowing the current regime and replacing it with a just, democratic government. The four of them have trained alongside an elite group of dreamers, revolutionaries, and freedom fighters and will now lead the most dangerous mission in Planet Moon's history: overthrowing the government.

Along the way, these teenagers will wrestle with their purpose and values, work through complex relationships, and learn more about themselves and the world around them. They will battle demons inside and outside as they sacrifice everything in pursuit of their goal.

This story is more than a fictional tale of adventure and heroism. It is a subtle critique of radical culture, a story of inspirational role models who fight for what they believe in, a story of shades of greys, right intentions mixed with wrong actions, and, most importantly, a story engineered to motivate and inspire a new generation to fight for the highest good: love.

This is your invitation to embark on an adventure of self-discovery through a book that poignantly explores real, powerful topics like injustice, the danger of radicalization and polarization, and the dangers of hatred and fall in love with heroic characters who work together to fight for what they believe in.
Last edited by Atticus on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

561 Reviews

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:26 pm
Atticus says...

CAST OF CHARACTERS

SKYLAR RENNEDON

EARLY LIFE
Spoiler! :
-Early Life
-Worked for her father, a mechanic, from an early age
-Dropped out of school to pursue her true passion, engineering
-Did everything she could to help provide for her family

Physical Appearance
Spoiler! :
-Brown hair
-Green eyes
-About 5'7
-Somewhat slender build but deceptively strong
-Prefers to dress in cargo pants and T-shirts

Personality
Spoiler! :
-Strong leader
-Fierce, determined, competitive
-Hard-working
-Stubborn
-Passionate

Ultimate Goal
Spoiler! :
Skylar is determined to make a difference and stand up for what she believes in. She is passionate about justice and will do whatever it takes, no matter the cost for her, to make sure that it is upheld. She loves her family, especially her 9-year-old brother, Danny.

MYRA TYRANE

Early Life
Spoiler! :
-Struggled with anxiety from an early age
-Did well in school; always near top of her class
-Wanted to make her family proud, so did whatever they demanded of her no matter what it cost

Physical Appearance
Spoiler! :
-Brown hair
-Blue eyes
-Very slender build
-Dresses in athletic clothing, like workout shirts, leggings, and yoga pants

Personality
Spoiler! :
-Very anxious
-Intelligent
-Quiet
-Passionate

Ultimate Goal
Spoiler! :
Myra wants to have courage and do what is right, no matter the cost. She has struggled with anxiety since she was young, but she still is determined to fight evil and do what she feels compelled is right, at any cost.

DARIEN NEXUS

Early Life
Spoiler! :
-Mediocre, average grades in school
-Never stood out in any aspect
-Spent time daydreaming about saving his friends and family from a catastrophe
-No real life plan for his future

Physical Appearance:
Spoiler! :
-Brown hair
-Brown eyes
-Slender, agile
-About 6'2, 6'3
-Wide, confident gait
-Indifferent about his clothes but likes to look neat and put-together

Personality
Spoiler! :
-Confident to the point of arrogance
-Brave
-Level-headed in a crisis
-Calm
-Good at de-escalating and defusing situations

Ultimate Goal
Spoiler! :
Darien wants to use his skills to be a hero. He's always dreamed of being someone special, but has always known that he is painfully average. He hopes that this is his time to make a difference

RAE BECKETT

Early Life
Spoiler! :
-Born on April 24, 3005
-Born to a middle-class family
-Did not excel in school because she was bored and disliked the rigid structure
-Interested in experimenting with technology from a young age
-Dressed in masculine clothes and cut her hair short to rebel against the status quo

Physical Appearance
Spoiler! :
-Short-cropped hair that is not quite down to her shoulders; naturally a dirty blond but usually dyed a bright, excting color like red, purple, blue, pink, green, or a combination of these
-Pale, clear skin
-Wears bright red lipstick
-Dresses in tight, short, black skirts, bright shirts, usually strapless and short, brightly colored, tall heels that match her shirt, fishnet stockings, and heavy silver jewelry
-Hazel eyes
-About 5'6
-About 110 lbs
-Straight, bright, white teeth
-Slender build
-Pronounced cheekbones

Personality
Spoiler! :
-Stubbornly independent
-Analytical
-Passionate
-Loyal
-Friendly, sociable, outgoing
-Enjoys a good party but only occasionally
-Persistent
-Queer (unlabeled but close to pansexual)

Ultimate Goal
Spoiler! :
Rae wants to be able to be who she is and express herself the way she wants without judgement. She wants to be able to work on something meaningful and do something rewarding that takes effort, perseverance, and time instead of living a mediocre, unfulfilled life.
[he/him]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

You had me at terrorist organization <3
Tag me and I'll try to stay up to date reading! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

561 Reviews

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 pm
Atticus says...

Absolutely @Carlito! Thank you :D
[he/him]

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight