z

Young Writers Society

just strated to write a novel, looking for tips

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Sometimes beginning is the hardest part, so if you've just started then you're doing good! Everyone is different so not all advice will apply to you, but these are some of the most important things to me when working with a big project.

Keep moving forward. Rewriting is a steep and murky slope to fall down, so I find it's best to just steer clear of the edge. If there are any major changes to make I can always fix them in the second draft.

Find company. Doing anything solo is a difficult task, especially something as big as writing a novel. Finding someone to write alongside and share the experience with me is invaluable.

The first draft is for fun. The whole process works best if I keep my mind open and allow myself room to deviate. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even close. It's the stage where I fall in love with my work. If I'm stressed or over critical then I know my project and I are going to have a bad relationship and an ugly divorce.
We were born to be amazing.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:39 pm
BluesClues says...

Hey angela! Do you have any particular questions about writing a novel or resources you're looking for?

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 am
LanaOverland says...

Always be open to new ideas, even if they contradict something you already know about the story. Try them out anyway. Write the scene, and see if you like it.
-Lana
Pronouns: she/hers

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 am
Asith says...

If you're struggling to actually write, I've always found that the hardest part isn't the writing, it's sitting down to write. More often than not, especially when your project is tens of thousands of words down the line and you feel like you've written all the exciting scenes you can come up with, you're going to start wanting to not write, and put it off for tomorrow. If you force yourself to sit down and work, there's a good chance you'll start having fun with the writing again! A good trick is to reread what you've already got (but not critically) and see whether it leads you somewhere new.

That being said, taking breaks is also important. It might sound contradictory, I know, but sometimes, writer's block is more than just writer's block. Spending a day without even thinking of your novel can cure burn-out, and give you even better ideas the next day.

You know yourself best. You have to be able to find that balance between permanent procrastination and slave-working. Good luck :)

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela