z

Young Writers Society

Arles of Astoria

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

A rundown barn, where eyes watch you from the walls and the grime-covered jars on the shelf are filled with magic dust.

A fantasy realm, penetrable only by chosen fairy rings.

A bedroom with shelves full of books and a broken window.

An untold story.

A self discovery.

Coming of age.

Being too young to understand that you should be very, very afraid.

Arles of Astoria dives into the mind of twelve year old Arles Octavian, a queer kid living in the outskirts of a not-quite-town, not-quite-city, who crowns themself monarch of the run-down barn behind their parent's house and the field and forest that lie beyond it. Obsessed with direction, rocks, and the subjects of their kingdom, Arles' journey encompasses the land of Astoria, the struggles of growing up, the creatures that haunt us all, and the realization that there is nothing like coming back home, and coming back to yourself.
Last edited by FruityBickel on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

134 Reviews

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

As Arles comes of age and grows into a queer young adult, the state of Astoria declines and creatures of all kinds come out of the shadows to bare their teeth. Astoria becomes attacked from within, and Arles' crown is threatened by outside forces and their own inner turmoil. As Astoria the Kingdom fights for its life and Arles tries to cope with discovering who they are, the question that haunts the mind of monarch and subjects alike remains: what lies in the dimensional mind of Arles Octavian?

134 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

"What does the God of your childhood look like?
A soft apparition pigeoned in the attic,

a wound eating you one year at a time?"

— Rachel McKibbens, from “outhouse,” published in Vinyl

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I know I hadn't said anything yet and you're busy with Vomit, but I love this idea! It feels vaguely like a dark, queer Bridge to Terabithia. I feel like I probably have an even more apt comparison (where your story would still be the dark/queer comp), but Bridge to Terabithia is what's coming to mind for now. I'm a sucker for fantasy where it's kind of is-it-real-or-is-it-all-in-this-child's-imagination-or-maybe-it's-both and I'm curious to see if it's actually Arle's coming-of-age that sparks the turmoil in the kingdom!

134 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:39 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

To be honest, Bridge to Terabithia is actually pretty damn accurate, as far as the vibe I'm going for!

134 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:57 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Part I:

Age twelve.

Arles is obsessed with rocks, directions and the broken window in their room. They are introduced to their Kingdom and their Throne.

Part II:

Age fifteen.

Arles is growing as a human, experiencing things like attraction and sexual desire for the first time. With their first queer sexual experience comes the first attack on Astoria.

Part III:

Age seventeen.

Something happens that causes Arles to spiral and Astoria starts to crumble. This is where everything goes; the battle; the creatures; the fear.

134 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

First line:

"Arles stared down at their bloodied hand, their gaze drifting up to the now broken window with its remaining jagged glass."

Last line:

"Astoria would forever be theirs."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:29 am
Awru says...

Spoiler! :
Is this a new form of torture by writers.We r not gonna tell them the whole just enough info that will make them crave for it and ultimately die of curiosity*evil laughter*
Even
After
All this time
The Sun never says
To the Earth
"You owe me"
Look
What happens
With a Love like that
It lights the
Whole
Sky

32 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 32
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm
atlast says...

I love this so much! How do you come up with such beautiful projects?
atlast

previously AtlasWut

my pms are always open <3

Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena