z

Young Writers Society

What do you like to see in a protagonist?

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

I've had trouble making my main characters interesting. So, I want to see what other people like to see in a main character. What makes main characters interesting? To you, anyways. Talk about your protagonist, or a protagonist from a book or movie. Anything works. What do you all think makes a character interesting? What character flaws do you like to see a protagonist struggle with and overcome? Do you like the tragic backstory or no? The 'chosen one' trope? Gimme your thoughts.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I think what makes main characters interesting (for me) is that in a story there's something they really really want so bad Plot happens. Also, I like realistic main characters. Because the complexity of human nature interests me and I would like to see it in characters. Cookie-cutter characters like Mary-Sues bore me for that reason.

And characters who don't have a weak spot/a vulnerable spot also don't really get much of my interest and sympathy and etc? I think we all have our vulnerabilities and a character not having one doesn't feel real. I don't have any favorite tropes like tragic backstory or 'chosen' one or favorite flaws either. As long as I connect to the character (which works if the character has a goal I can support, has a few admirable or awe-inspiring qualities, and faces many obstacles...I am mean xD), I tend to find them interesting. Also, characters who are very different from me and/or very skilled at a particular thing like hacking, for instance, especially catch my interest.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Hi, interesting questions here.

What do you all think makes a character interesting?

I think what makes a character interesting could be a whole lot of things. Someone's background can certainly catch my eye if it's really neat or unique. On the other hand, I would like someone who seems pretty normal but is simply wanting to stand up for another person/fellow which is admirable. Basically, making a character have some attributes/personality traits could make them interesting. It can subjective.

What character flaws do you like to see a protagonist struggle with and overcome?

Basically, anything that counts as an actual flaw - I don't really like any sort of someone complaining about having too much of something - money/friends/things like that unless they really don't feel happy and have to figure out how to live their life. I tend to like characters that deal with trying to believe in themselves (whether realistic or fantasy-ish ideas) as that's something I can definitely relate to.

Do you like the tragic backstory or no? The 'chosen one' trope? Gimme your thoughts.

If the character is genuinely interesting/relatable/funny/nice (written well, has some sort of personality) then I sometimes don't mind having the stereotypical "tragic" events in their life. The chosen one trope gets me frustrated sometimes because there's usually not a reason why the person was specifically chosen and they quickly shift from "typical person" to "wow, I'm cool" and yeah, that's a little tired.

I will honestly like anything though usually.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 am
View Likes
Horisun says...

I really like any kind of character, as long as they're not dumb. I like characters who are bookworms, cunning, quick thinkers. I also enjoy rebels a lot, but I enjoy others to.
This is just my opinion, though. :D
She/Her

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 pm
View Likes
RandomVanGloboii says...

Deep emotional conflicts, usually the are a certification of quality to me

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

I usually dislike characters who are arrogant, sassy, overconfident, or have an ego- I just feel like it's overdone and unlikable. Humble, quiet, and self-deprecating characters are more relatable to me, haha.

I like heroes who are selfless, introspective, virtuous, and sacrifice what's important to them in order to do what's right. I really love tragic heroes, who get little to no recognition or fame and might not even get a happy ending- perhaps dying for their cause or not "getting the girl". Happy endings are fun to read about too, though, if the protagonist has worked really hard to achieve it.

All of this isn't to say I like perfect, flawless characters. I like characters that are very virtuous, but might struggle with other things- like insecurity, fear of failure, idealistic naivete, etc. I'm not a fan of the "chosen one" trope, but tragic backstories are alright if they're done well. It's important (to me) that the author not be trying to garner pity for the character, but instead use the sad backstory to explain how the character's past experiences have made them who they currently are and explain their current motivations.

Close platonic relationships are really fun to read about as well- like a group of two or more friends who make a really good team and share everything with eachother.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

@AlyTheBookworm you literally described my favorite type of character, and one I've already created. He's pretty much all the things you said and I love him, but (sadly) he's not the MC.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

"My spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling, but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."
— A.A. Milne