z

Young Writers Society

Lohikarmen: A tale of humans and dragons

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat May 04, 2019 7:35 pm
RandomVanGloboii says...

Here I described the story I've worked in for three years now.

Lohikarmen is set in a medieval-style world inhabited by humans and dragons. My goal is to make a fantasy world that still sounds realistic, so it uses a very minimal amount of fantastical elements - it's pretty much only the imaginary land and the dragons. No magic, no other humanoid races or similars.

The story is set in the island of Gyr'end. It used to be a nation ruled by humans and dragons alike, united by a millennial bond that made them brothers and allies for a long time. This until the colonization from the State of Krisar, from a continent divided from Gyr'end by a vast sea. The technologically superior invaders conquered the land and imposed their rule, and now the bond between humans and dragons is no more. The once dragon-friendly island is now pested by dragon slayers that look for kills on the service of the state.

There is still a valley though, located in the highest peaks of the island's mountains, where the last Gyraders and what remains to their royal family hide themselves, together with a handful of dragons they protect.

The story follows a dragon, Shervan, just come in the island from Krisar in search of peace, and Axor, a dragon slayer. Their separate paths will make them discover the existence of the valley and the truth about the ancient bond between the humans and dragons of Gyr'end.

I will post some other details like the map of the world and the character sheet next days. For now, the first chapter is in my profile.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 pm
RandomVanGloboii says...

Characters currently introduced

Shervan: A young black male dragon that travelled from the continent to reach the island of Gyr'end, said to be a safe haven for all dragons. Impulsive and angry, has nevertheless a desperate need of affection that brought him on this journey to find his peace.

Axor: A dragon slayer from Gyr'end. Acclaimed as a hero by the whole island, but behind his muscles is is actually an inept that never questioned what others told him to do. He gets trained to slay dragons, never questions it. An elder dragon comes to him to tell him to reflect about what he does, he does not protest.

Iexolud: An elder amber dragon from Gyr'end. Calm and friendly, has a lot to reveal to the other two protagonists.

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality