z

Young Writers Society

How To Write A Complex, or Complicated Plot

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:49 am
EverLight says...

One of the things we often struggle with as a writer is writing a plot that's complex or complicated. It can't just be boy, meets girl, boy looses girl and then gains girl. Besides that story has been told and retold to many times to count. So how do you make a complex plot? Here are some tips that have helped me
1. When something dramatic happens to your character don't give her one emotion-try giving her conflicting feelings. Have her struggle with what to do about those conflicting feelings. Have your character have as many paradoxes as possible-and weave some into the plot-Add conflictions that make it harder for your main character to overcome the problem.
2. Add different types of conflicts-right wrong, two wrongs, or two rights. Make sure it's not always a choice between right or wrong, and show how that choice effects the story in the long run
3. Try playing with timelines-there are two ways you can do this-having your character remember or recall things about her past as she goes about saving them, or by telling a story about a girls past self and how the choices she made effected her modern self and have the two meet. Or have her have one self in the future, or the past.
4. Make it emotional-show how each of the characters struggle with their emotions problems-and how that effects the group as whole in good or bad ways. Have each characters from close bonds then show those bonds being threatned or those bonds getting in the way of an important decsion.
5. Include lots of different topics and subjects-Deal with real things-like abuse, neglect, sex trafficking, love, parent-son, father son, father mother, issues, govermental problems, and overcoming a characters self.
I hope this helps
I'm winning at life!

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare