z

Young Writers Society

Typhoon

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

I've been working on this idea since I was like 13 but for ages it's just been knock-off Eragon. There's quite a few gaps but my plan is to do this for the next round of LMS after blizzard ends so I have a while to plan. Pls poke all the plot holes and ask me all the questions.

The main thrust is that there's a guy who really really wants a Dragon Egg and some kids who happen to stumble upon a Dragon Egg. The dragon loves them, even though the other guy really really wants the dragon.

In this version, it's sort of post-war Labour government years and society is settling back to normal. Rationing is ending, people are going back to work, the affairs of deceased soldiers are being sorted out. One of those deceased soldiers is Callum [surname], and in his possessions is found something that links him to the illegal Dragon Egg trade.

Why are Dragon Eggs illegal? Well, dragons are illegal. They were used in WWI and caused such destruction that the League of Nations forbade their use in conflict. Of course, that didn't stop countries developing all manner of horrific war machines, but by that point dragons had been almost totally wiped out of existence and their certainly weren't enough of them left to assemble an artillery.

But these notes describe the existence of a Dragon Egg, in the possession of two kids.

Josie and Eric aren't kids anymore. Eric's back from the army and Josie's up at the university (some women went to uni in the 50s right? This family are fairly well off). But they've continued looking after the dragon they've been caring for since long before the war, when they were on holiday in the Highlands. The dragon is kept in the basement of their family home, and allowed to move outside to stretch his wings only at night. When the blackout was introduced, even that was kept from him and he could only stare out his window.

Josie, however, has been learning lots of things up at the uni. It's not quite curricular, but there's a Folk Studies lecturer who has been teaching her the ways of before the fighter jet and the atom bomb. She's been learning magic.

For thirty minutes at a time she can turn herself, her brother and her dragon invisible, enabling them to roam the skies and move about, a proper life for a dragon. It's been seven years since Eric came back to Scotland, and life has been pretty great.

But now there are machinations, dragon trade machinations afoot. Not to mention Eric has a wedding to plan.

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 pm
View Likes
queenofscience says...

This sounds super cool.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight