Young Writers Society

Fighting Fire with Fire (WIP)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Though I definitely have way too many ideas as it is, I've currently fallen in love with an idea that originally started as a very creative Bartimaeus Trilogy and Minecraft crossover, with a few references to a prequel Percy Jackson fic thrown in as well. It still needs a lot of work, but I've been slightly inspired by watching a bit of The Magicians with my family. I don't know how much I'll actually update this thread, but I thought it would be cool to see what people thought of my story.

Imagine a completely normal college. It's a relatively small one, set in the beauty known as upstate New York. There's not much in the surrounding area, but the college itself is like a bustling little city, with little shops and plenty of ways to stay entertained. It also offers a plethora of clubs, and the most notable of all these clubs is one that not many people know about: the Local Area Historical Society (LAHS). They do small presentations at major college events, focusing on the very boring history of the area surrounding the college.

But LAHS has a big secret. A really big secret, the type that no one outside of the club can ever learn about. Not a single member of the club is a regular person; every single one of them has some sort of magical quirk that makes them stand out from the average high school student. LAHS is meant to be a place for them to learn more about their abilities, if possible, but also has another ulterior motive: they fight the forces of evil, especially those who have amassed large wells of power.

Here's a rundown of the three key characters I've come up with so far. More are going to be added once I either come up with them or decide to put them in this story.

Arthur Croft: As club president, Arthur's the leader of the group. Which is fairly ironic, considering he's one of the younger and less experienced members. He's three years into a political science major, and plans on someday going into politics. He started the club up in his freshman year, after an...interesting encounter with the things that go bump in the dark during the gap year he took between high school graduation and freshman orientation. Once he learned about the magic side of the world, he picked up spells and potion making, quickly becoming quite the skilled warlock.

He's dating Puck.

Puck Ward: Puck serves as the club's vice president, and not one is quite sure what he is. They all have his theories, but Puck thrives on the drama - which is probably why he's a theater arts major. Like Arthur, he's three years into his major. Puck's known about LAHS for being great with spells - in fact, he's the one who's been teaching Arthur the past three years. Arthur's one of the only people who knows his true identity, outside of the (very weird) relatives that keep showing up on campus to bug him. He also apparently has the ability to change his form, and has some very quick regeneration.

He's dating Arthur, and lovingly calls him both "Artie" and "Pres" as nicknames. Pres is the one he tends to use around other people, while Artie is the one he uses when they're alone.

Rae Knight: Rae want to be a counselor, and serves as the club's secretary. Arthur and Puck may devise the club's plans, but Rae's the one who gets things out to the other members of LAHS without compromising their secret. The counselor bit becomes more than a little strange when you find out she's really a demon named Darunia Vain, but most of the club has just come to accept it. After all, Runi's pretty nice, even if she has absolutely no understanding of the phrase "personal space". She can shapeshift and wield flames. She's currently not dating anyone.

(All three of them are also members of their school's LGBTQ+ club.)

And that's the story so far! I still need to figure out what the plot of the novel would be, but I feel like it might involve a character named Henry Mulligan and a search for the demigod Hercules.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the story!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:06 am
View Likes
albedo says...

I don't know if you are still working on the story or not, but this story sounds Amazing!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss