z

Young Writers Society

What music do you listen to well you write?

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am
View Likes
Horisun says...

I listen to my little pony, and Disney... Lol
She/Her

616 Reviews

Reviews: 616
Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 am
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix says...

Oh I have lots I listen to.

I have all three How to Train your Dragon soundtracks, and I have the hunger games. And lot's more. XD
FlamingPhoenix The Art Freak!
Stay Creative!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Lately I've been listening to DJ Okawari- I found him through a Youtube recommendation, haha. I've only listened to a couple of his songs so far, but they're pretty good. :)

Otherwise, I've been listening to Joe Hisaishi, the Narnia soundtrack, or other instrumental stuff. Songs with lyrics usually distract me.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 am
View Likes
Lib says...

To be honest, I don't really listen to any music, if you must know. Mostly, I just listen to peaceful sounds, ya know? Like birds chirping, or a river flowing, or trees swishing, or horses whinnying. Yeah, that sorta stuff. I really like it and it helps me concentrate really nicely.

Also, just like @AlyTheBookworm said, songs with lyrics distract me. Even if it's my favorite one, I'll just shut it off right there and then if it starts bugging me. Because the singer is saying words, and I'm trying to think of words. So then it just gets annoying and distracts me a whole lot.
*insert quirky signature here*

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I never used to be able to listen to music because I found it distracting. Now it depends on the project.

For Liz + Zac I listened to classical because Liz is a big fan of classical.
For When I was Anna I listened to orchestral Disney music because Disney music is part of that story.
For my newest project, Butterfly Chasers, I listened to contemporary Christian because that's important to the plot.
I'm thinking my next novel will be movie scores.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Mon May 27, 2019 1:22 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

@Carlito : ohhh that sounds like a cool idea! I normally don't listen to music while writing (unless my family happened to have some playing in the background) but I might try that some time.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 pm
View Likes
ShadowPrincess16 says...

It kind of depends on the project. For my current project I've listened to a lot of country music. Specifically love songs because it's a paranormal romance.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Electric Swing music. Which is odd, but also not.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I usually listen to instrumental music when I'm writing - the words end up distracting me if they're there. My favorite background music channel used to be The Soul of Wind, but I've listened to their playlists so many times that I've begun to recognize the songs. Theoretically, I could use songs I've already heard, but I get more into writing when the songs are relatively new.

I also like matching the song's tone to the mood of the piece I'm writing.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 am
Horisun says...

Certain songs clog up my writing flow. Like writing cramps, you know? I can't place my finger on a certain type of music, specifically, but it tends to be the more... Sound based variety? I don't know what it's called, really.
Though, a funny thing is, I do also like listening to intense, battle music. Even when I'm writing a calmer scene...
She/Her

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I can't listen to music much while I write! If it's music with lyrics, I'm going to sing along, 100% guaranteed, no way out of it. Even if it doesn't have lyrics, I'm probably going to sit there and listen to how pretty it is instead of writing.

Usually I either write with some dumb sitcom I've seen a thousand times on in the background - because I don't need to pay attention to it - or I like writing in a coffeeshop or something where there are the sounds of other people and I don't feel isolated while writing.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:22 pm
tgham99 says...

I don't listen to music with lyrics because it distracts me; I find that listening to sounds like a fan running or other white noise is the best option for me. If I'm being honest, though, I much prefer silence so I tend to write in the library or wherever I know there isn't going to be any background noise most of the time.
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber