z

Young Writers Society

What Is Your Favorite Thing About Writing?

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 pm
EverLight says...

Do you like writing? Why? What genre do you prefer to write in? In what ways has writing improved your life? Do you think your writing is influenced by movies or other books you have read? What is the inspiration for your writing? Oh and are you characters always human animal or other?
I'm winning at life!

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 am
Fantascifi66 says...

Obviously. Because of my weird fantasy mind. FANTASY and sci-fi. In every way. It has contributed with some of my fantasy, yes. THE WORLD, only with imagination. Haha, often just human and animals, but I'm open to others :)
Free reviews by Fanta! [Accepting!]

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:27 am
manilla says...

My favorite thing about writing is the way you can set your mind free, create worlds upon worlds with keystrokes, and the control you have over everything. If I didn't like writing, why would I be on this site?

I like fantasy and sci-fi the most, but I like all forms of fiction and poetry too. I think my style is derived from every book or movie I've every watched, not any style in particular.

My inspiration comes from music and...whatever pops into my head. My characters are mainly human.
Pronouns: she/they

From the wild manila folder of YWS's office.

When the last tree has fallen
And the rivers are poisoned
You cannot eat money

I do reviews: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=108365

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 am
View Likes
bluewaterlily says...

I started out writing fantasy, but now my genre of focus is contemporary YA/NA (New adult[genre with characters in early to mid-twenties)] and romance. I think what I love most about writing is the choices characters make and how they respond to situations. I love the psychology of writing; you can have two characters and put them in the same situation and they will react completely differently. That just fascinates me how two characters can be in the same environment in the same circumstances and totally respond in different, opposite or opposing ways. I also love when I learn more about my characters with each scene they are in. It's like spending time with a real person; the more time I spend with my characters, the better I get to know them. When a character has a response or an action that completely surprises you, I think that's when you know your character is three-dimensional and stands completely on their own. You longer have control of them. They are their own person and you just have to accept that respect that. That to me is what keeps writing interesting and addictive. Hopefully that process is as exciting to the reader as it is to me.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:19 pm
EverLight says...

I'll add in my own answers. In order from first question to last . . .

Do you like writing?
Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! I love writing!

Why?
I have so many reasons why I can't list them all so I'll list my top FIVE reasons why.
1. manilla said it all-because I love the way if frees the mind.
2. I adore writing because of how it takes you away into another world. You can travel your own universe with just a stroke of a pen. Or you can simply go places yet unseen in our own universe!
3 I like writing because you can express yourself explore your deepest emotions, or your own heart. You can also explore the darkest side of humanity (I did that with To You With Hate) Or in general people, and what makes them people.
4. I also love writing because of the magic of it. You can put words and punctuation marks together and create the deepest poem or the shallowest funniest story. Words can be so deep or so light. How beautifully writing can express our every emotion is to me the sheer wonder of it. Words have power. I have fun learning how to master that power.
5. I enjoy writing because it is just so much fun!! I really enjoy writing. It's just so much fun putting words together to create something awesome-a story. I really love picking out which words to use which ones I should discard.
Okay what don't I love about writing? I am in love with it!

What genre do I write in?
An umbrella genre called Science Fantasy will always hold a place in my heart. So many of my stories fall under the genre.
They have the characteristics of fantasy because
1. My stories usually include things like say cats as characters, or wizards as well as magic.
But then it also is like science fiction because
1. My characters usually always travel to space, or live in space.
2. Some of my characters are aliens!
3. Finally, my characters usually time travel. Or travel to a different dimension. (In one story it was after an Apocalypse and one cat has to restart the universe for God. And he has to travel through dimensions)
4. Some of my characters also had to go to the center of the earth up into space visit other planets go to different dimensions travel back in time then into another universe.
I also have a soft spot for poetry. If I am honest I am best at writing poetry. I think poetry is the form writing that expresses the soul. Truly poetry is in my opinion the window to humanity. Poetry is deep and so full of emotion in a way fiction is not. Poetry she is my pride and joy.
I will sometimes lean towards realistic fiction. I'll incorporate elements events or settings that you'll find in real life in my stories. (Like one time I decided to write a story about a character who gets stuck in a inter galactic trafficking ring-that was heavily realistic even if the setting was Si-Fi)
But all that aside I prefer Science Fantasy.

In what ways has writing improved your life?
It's hard to say. Writing certainly has helped me discover new things about myself, and helped me through some tough situations and it's helped me learn some coping skills. But I have improved writing more then it has improved me.

Do you think your writing is influenced by books and other movies you have read?
No not really. My stories aren't fan fiction. And I don't write for that set of readers. My writing 's its own genre, with worlds that are my own. However certain elements to my plots are based on other movies or books. But what I do is turn those ideas into my own plot.

What is the inspiration your writing?
Obviously I have quite an imagination and sometimes out of the blue it''ll turn up an idea. But usually my writing is inspired by a combo of experiences in my own life or the lives of others, a fact or quote I really loved or a realization I had, and plots and stories written by other people, and music. But then the influence isn't heavy and I more borrow the idea and turn it in to something new. My writing always turns out original.

Are your characters always human, animal or other?
I have done all three.
Human
I have made humans characters in my stories three times. The first time was with a story called The Hall of Lights, the secant was in a Jack Cat-(Jack Cat was human) and third in a funny alien story I am working on-A Shopping trip with Aves.
Animal
For the most part my characters are cats. (Ruins of Fire, Lie of the Cats Life, Night Whispers and others I have not posted here-The tale of Carlos, Sitar and and the C.R.H.P. and Black Rose NectarineSpirit and The Lie, Eve, and many more)
Other
I have done characters that fall under the category of other as well. I have done aliens five times-In my Novel Ancient, in Lunars Adventure, Otherworldly Hero, and in one love story I did for a while-Milkyway (It turned out pretty hilarious-I understood little about love or how to write about it then.) and in Areathina. I have dabbled with robots or half robots. In a story called Ajax Eve I used robot wild cats, and I have considered a cyborgs as well. I have also written about hybrid mutant cats as well. (A Plant/ Cat hybrid, a Ghost cat, a Dragon cat, and a alien cat hybrid) Finally I have also done stars. I am doing stars and other space objects right know. In my latest novel Chasing the Stars. This is my first time working with stars as my main characters.
So that's all folks!
I'm winning at life!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:04 am
Karlamaria789 says...

I like to embody my thoughts on paper. So far it is very good for me, but I try and gain experience here https://homework-lab.com/examples/

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm
Kazumi says...

Accessibility. Unlike visual art, you don't need any expensive paint or high-tech tablets to write. Literally all you need is a surface to write on and a material that can write on it. Like you can already write an immortal poem with a piece of paper and a pen that wouldn't even cost a dollar.

Also, everyone can be a top-tier writer. The education system's already taught writing to everyone that went through it. They just have to hone their skills.
top kek

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm
View Likes
Buskuta says...

I love writing. I love it because I can create whole worlds using my mind and creativity. I feel like I do anything with a pen in my hand. Genres I love to write in are mystery and action, but lately I've been writing more calm, serene stories and I find that I much like this style. I also enjoy poetry. My writing is most definitely influenced by what I read: My writing style especially. I've picked up writing techniques that other authors have in their books without even realizing it, but I think it's been good for my writing. My inspiration is the world around me, what I'm feeling, or anything else that comes to my mind. My characters are always human! :)

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda