z

Young Writers Society

Feeling overwhelmed....

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 am
Cyvain87 says...

I really want to get back into doing my writing especially working on the many ideas for novels i have to get my first attempt at one started but my list of concepts and ideas thst are mostly a story in themselves is so long and overwhelming. I have tried to just pick one off the list but I am not quite sure which I feel most inspired to try writing on. I swear I didn't used to get this stuck on where to begin when I last attempted to write anything before I was on all the medication I am for my chronic pain now. I feel almost like I'm trapped between wanting to write and my brain just not clicking into place on something. Any tips to help me get the flow back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:03 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I find the way to choose my next project is to start a little on each of them and wait for one to grab my attention. Normally I start with something I'm really enthusiastic about like character building (writing profiles for them/ short scenes which develop them) and then if I fall in love with the characters, that's the one I want to write.

It may be settings for you or if you're a fantasy author, maybe the magic systems, or if you're a history writer, maybe the time period.

In the ideal world we'd get to write all our story ideas but you can always switch to a different one if you don't find your attention grabbed in the first few weeks of starting the one you chose.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I second what @Rydia said!

I'd also ask yourself which aspects of each one you're eager to write, what you want to work on improving about each one, and if those line up with what you want to work on for yourself as a writer. So if you're really good at character stuff and you want to work more on developing your foreshadowing, maybe picking a story idea that will push you to work more on foreshadowing because of the conflict at hand.

I'm a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan, so one of my big things about worlds is: What is there to play with? The more cool ideas, places, people, and toys (laser guns, magic wands, spells, tech) there are to play with, the more fun you're likely to have with the setting! It also opens up a huge range of solutions if you ever get stuck in the plot.

If you're more dramatic: What emotions do you want to capture in the works? What emotion do you want to sink into right now?

Definitely don't be afraid to switch projects. It's awesome to finish a project, and writing can be like pulling teeth sometimes, but don't frustrate yourself if you can't find the will to write for a certain idea.
stay off the faerie paths

15 Reviews

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 pm
Cyvain87 says...

Thank you for both your advice i will try some of those suggestions and see. Goes.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Tenyo says...

When I'm stuck with several stories I want to write at once I see how many I can combine into one. It may mean that my historical battlescape suddenly has wands instead of guns and my fantasy star-crossed lovers end up caught in a more violent conflict than I originally intended, but it forces me to bend out of my usual boxes and into things I hadn't thought of before, and that makes the whole process more interesting and fulfilling.
We were born to be amazing.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 pm
niteowl says...

Since it sounds like it's been a while since you've written, you might consider starting with a shorter project instead of a novel. Novels are a big undertaking and not every cool idea ends up being a novel-length project. Granted, I'm also very flighty with ideas and have never come close to finishing a novel, so I might be biased. But short stories can give you a sense of accomplishment and finishing a draft while also giving you an idea of what might be worth expanding into a longer project.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

15 Reviews

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:23 am
Cyvain87 says...

Thanks for advice all and @niteowl i struggle to write short stuff whenever i get going with writing even if i struggle to begin with it ends up growing and growing. I have in fact found one of my ideas has caught my attention more than the others since last night and i have started making some notes on it as a starting point.

okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues