z

Young Writers Society

Where to begin.....

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:21 am
Cyvain87 says...

I have so many many ideas for storys, haven't even fully organized then all yet even. Yet i can't decide where to start with starting to write up one of them. How do i choose where do i begin. I feel overwhelmed with so many ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:22 pm
TheWeirdoFromBeyond says...

Beginnings are very hard, this is a method you might find useful (I usually do this for novels but might also work for short stories)

Write down the different events you have in your mind on post-its and stick them anywhere you want.
You can keep the ideas for different stories if you want to, I usually just use different colored post-its.
Next, you decide the way the events could be connected and then decide the order in which they will happen.
Once all this is done, you start writing the story.

(Of course, I saw this on the NaNoWriMo website and used it as I found it comfortable, make your own changes)

Poke me if you have any questions about this :D
I don't act this way to change the world, I act this way so that the goddamn world won't change me!
-Desert Hearts
You don't think I am weird? You don't know me at all.
-TheWeirdoFromBeyond

TheWeirdoFromBeyond is a LGBT+ supporter

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm
Cadi says...

I like to recommend picking a scene that excites you, and just starting to write it. What's the coolest bit of your story idea? (The bit where the spaceship explodes? The bit where the characters kiss? The bit where the bad guy gets defeated?) Pick a cool moment, and just start writing down how that cool moment goes.

You will probably run into bits where you don't know something! Like, why is the spaceship exploding? What did the bad guy do that was bad? Answering these questions will lead you into the rest of the story - but if you don't know the answer straight away, it's okay to just write yourself a note and come back to it later.

When you have a lot of story ideas, it can be really hard to choose where to start, but remember: when you're done writing the first one, the others will all still be there! So just pick one idea at random - maybe even roll a dice to choose - and try it out!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:38 pm
Cyvain87 says...

Thank you so much both of you who have replied to this so far. Your advice really is very helpful indeed. As for picking which of the many different story ideas I have just picking one and rolling with it feels kinda hard to do because I have so many i don't know quite where to begin with just picking one soon start from the top of my list which i have listed alphabetically by the random working title i have given it or just pick one half way down the list... I can't decide which feels the best way for me to go with all i know is i like trying to do things as organized as possible escept when it comes to actually writing the story then that always comes out in one long non-paragraphed grammar filled mess because of getting the ideas down into writing before i forget my train of thought.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 pm
Kazumi says...

Take my advice with a grain of salt 'cause I've never been a writer of long-form fiction. Only wrote shorts and essays so far.

I know the feeling of being full of ideas. Actually right now, I'm struggling on that issue because I have a lot of ideas lined up, but I don't have all the time in the world, I have other responsibilities, and other ideas pop up.

Here's what I believe is best gonna help. I suggest you pick the idea you feel most inspired to write, then write it as fast as you can. Inspiration can be a real kick of motivation, but it it's fleeting, so write while you're inspired. I'm pretty sure it's better to write inspired than not.

Another thing: maybe you can fuse these story ideas together. I get ideas all the time but I don't make them major story ideas all the time. Sometimes I incorporate them as small story ideas in a bigger story idea, if you get what I mean. For example, I got the idea of a really eccentric and weird character from watching Jack in The Shining. But hey, it's hard to make that a big story idea so I just incorporate it to an existing one, like maybe make a character like that in an existing story of mine.

Lastly, I highkey agree with Cadi when they said story ideas will stay all the time. Here's my take on that though. It will stay, but your attitude towards those ideas may change. Maybe you won't feel as inspired in the future, or maybe you'll end up hating it growing up.

I think that's why you should pick wisely and write which idea you feel inspired about right now. Don't overthink, just listen to your feelings.

Yeah, I guess that's it for now. Hope it helps.
top kek

15 Reviews

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 pm
Cyvain87 says...

Kazumi wrote:Take my advice with a grain of salt 'cause I've never been a writer of long-form fiction. Only wrote shorts and essays so far.

I know the feeling of being full of ideas. Actually right now, I'm struggling on that issue because I have a lot of ideas lined up, but I don't have all the time in the world, I have other responsibilities, and other ideas pop up.

Here's what I believe is best gonna help. I suggest you pick the idea you feel most inspired to write, then write it as fast as you can. Inspiration can be a real kick of motivation, but it it's fleeting, so write while you're inspired. I'm pretty sure it's better to write inspired than not.

Another thing: maybe you can fuse these story ideas together. I get ideas all the time but I don't make them major story ideas all the time. Sometimes I incorporate them as small story ideas in a bigger story idea, if you get what I mean. For example, I got the idea of a really eccentric and weird character from watching Jack in The Shining. But hey, it's hard to make that a big story idea so I just incorporate it to an existing one, like maybe make a character like that in an existing story of mine.

Lastly, I highkey agree with Cadi when they said story ideas will stay all the time. Here's my take on that though. It will stay, but your attitude towards those ideas may change. Maybe you won't feel as inspired in the future, or maybe you'll end up hating it growing up.

I think that's why you should pick wisely and write which idea you feel inspired about right now. Don't overthink, just listen to your feelings.

Yeah, I guess that's it for now. Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for your input that does sound like a very good idea.

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind