z

Young Writers Society

How do I protect my work?

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 am
Cyvain87 says...

I hope this is the right place to ask this question but how do I protect my writing from being stolen or misrepresented when handing a finished work to someone who is essentially publicising it for me but not in written form? I think it'd be a great idea to use to get my work out there but i don't want to risk losing it at the same time if my wording here makes any sense. I'm finding it difficult to find the exact words i want to describe this accurately right now. Please any advice on this would be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Just to clarify - you've finished something, let's say a short story. You want someone to help you promote your work so you give the finished version to someone so they can write about you on their blog/website for example. You're wondering how you keep your work safe from that person so that person doesn't then claim your work as their own?

If that's the case, I think your best bet is doing a ton of research before you reach out to someone for publicity. Make sure they're a professional person who is charging reasonable fees, has a professional looking website, has references, etc. Look at people they've promoted before and try to talk to those people about their experience if you can. You can look on Absolute Write to see if there is any chatter about them being a scammer.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 am
Cyvain87 says...

Well this is more for a podcast but would the same thing apply in that case too?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I think it depends on where you're publishing it. I would make sure they have an easily-accessible Copyright Policy, and if they don't have it available to view, demand to see one. Don't show them any of your writing until you see their policy.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 am
Cyvain87 says...

Iggy wrote:I think it depends on where you're publishing it. I would make sure they have an easily-accessible Copyright Policy, and if they don't have it available to view, demand to see one. Don't show them any of your writing until you see their policy.

Thank you. I am new to sharing my work in this form so is as unsure how to go about things.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I'd recommend checking out Writers Beware for tips and their blog which you can search for existing scams, and for clues on what to look for.

I don't fully understand your situation so it's hard to give anything more specific than that unless you can give more details?

Also, if you want you can drop a link to the company offering to publicise in here and some of our more experienced YWS hounds will see if they can dig up anything fishy.
We were born to be amazing.

15 Reviews

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Cyvain87 says...

Well tbh it was just messages from what seemed like a start up project thinking about it there doesn't seem to be any sign that i would have any guarantees beyond promises so I'm thinking as awesome as it would be i best not.....

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 am
Tenyo says...

Sounds like a good choice.

I sometimes feel bad for people who try to start projects and don't really get the response they want, most of them have good intentions, but at the same time good intentions are not always responsible intentions. If they're new at this then as a writer you have to take those steps to protect your work.

If you're looking for publicity with audio stuff then local or charity run radio stations might be willing to do something in return for volunteer work. Mine was quite happy for me to read my work on air and keep all rights to it as long as I filled an specific slot once a week on their program.
We were born to be amazing.

15 Reviews

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:33 am
Cyvain87 says...

To be honest umm not sure if that would be the best way to promote my work as i have discovered i am definitely a novel length sort of writer.

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author