z

Young Writers Society

Soulkana's Magister and Assassin Series (NaNo '18)

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:44 am
View Likes
Soulkana says...

So as NaNoWriMo llngers ever so swiftly in the horizon, I decided to make this Journal in order to keep everything in line. It would be a lot easier to keep things together. Feel free to add comments as desired. Feedback is nice! I'm going to try using spoiler tags so things don't take countless pages to scroll. Please be patient if it doesn't work out as planned.

So to start off I'd like to introduce several main characters. Each one will eventually play a key role even if they aren't tangibly in the series at the moment as more than whispers.

Ariana Ravenswood

Spoiler! :

Name: Ariana Haruka Ravenswood. Known as Iza by Reiga Emerson. Heiress Ravenswood and Queen Apparent of the Magickal Society of Aflyae.

Age: At the beginning of the series: 17 By the end of the series: 21

Sex: Female

Eye Color: Her eyes are rich dark gold but will turn a nearly white blue when enraged and her powers build.

Hair Color: Her hair is a deep crimson color, similar to spider lilies. It curls heavily in humidity and does not stay inside hair accessories without copious amounts of magical products to tame it.

Skin Color: Her skin always stays pale white, similar to the shade of milk. She doesn't burn easily but is rigid in keeping sunscreen on during the summer due to previous burns as a child.

Height: She is slightly above average height for her age. She's roughly 5 feet and 6 inches. She has a slender build from gymnastics.

Weight: She roughly weighs 120 pounds, kept fit by intense exercise and hobbies.

Memorable Features: Her hair color is very vivid for her society of mostly pale blonds, dark browns, and the occasional lighter shades of red. The scars along her arms, wrists and back, when seen are very vivid and considered to be "unacceptable" for a female and discourages future marriage proposals due to the stigma.

Race: She is not human. She is a fox spirit vessel and oftentimes shows these features to her close friends.

Ethnicity: She is a noble and is very strict to her family's motto, Death before Dishonor. She is strictly gray in the belief of magic and will use either side to win and considers the need for balance is what's causing magic to falter in the present time. She is very open to other countries magical styles and enjoys learning them.

Faults: She is afraid of the dark. She is very uneasy to trust and hides things from even her closest friends and allies. She can be incredibly ruthless to others and has a potent wrathful side that can overhead her kinder personality.

Talents: She is powerful with barriers and runes. Her ability in the form of magical ice creation is legendary to others. She is promising in use of a bow and arrow. More hidden, she hides her ability to see the souls of others, fearing the reactions of those whom are her enemies and even those of her allies.

Hobbies: She enjoys baking and exercising. She keeps to a gymnastic routine using the nature around her. When not at work or allows her mind to drift, she often weaves barrier runes or even writes out various language in the air with her magic.

Source of Income: Due to her noble heritage, she has no want for monetary gain however, she does love selling her baking and often does so when in need of quick cash.

Status in Society: Is nobility, later on reveals to be the last of the Monarchy.

Patience Breaking Point: She loses her patience when others poke at her abusive past and her scars. She also will lose patience on those who blindly follow the others, even to their own deaths.

Childhood: She grew up mostly with her parents until the age of 4 where they perished in an accident. She tightly holds onto her memories of them and follows their limited lessons in hiding her true personality in order to hold to their families magic. She was sold to scientist of the mundane where she meets her friend, Reiga, whom for her is nicknamed, Aydan. The two stay close even after freed and she does not form the basic prejudice on magic due to his difference in it as he comes from a different country. Her beliefs are tightly researched and looked though various accounts before she places her opinions and is oftentimes compelled by her past and her family's value to a certain degree.

Biography: She currently is building allies for a war about to break across her country, Aflyae. She escapes alongside many of her peers. While they go to various countries, she aspires to take the Magister Exam, which would afford her the power and time in order to train and gain strength to protect her friends whom are determined to follow her through war. She keeps close ties to all of them and Aydan, whom is also taking the Exam with the desire to gain power in their own right. While they are training, she oftentimes will coax Aydan into sledding, skiing, and enjoy the snow where they are staying.

As a side note, I will be adding to these character sheets when its not so early and have work in a few hours.
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Hey Soulkana!

Your story sounds pretty interesting from the little snippets that you have weaved into your character's biography- but I'm curious to know what it's about? There's not much for a synopsis, so I'm interested to hear what the actual plot is about.

You have magic in your world, and I'm getting the impression that there's either controversy around magic as a whole or certain types of magic. Or am I wrong?
But there is magic- how does it work? Can anyone use it or only certain people? How can spells be created? Why do Ariana's eyes change colour when she uses magic?

I wish you luck on your NaNo journey!! :D Hope everything goes well for you and your story!
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

378 Reviews

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 pm
View Likes
Soulkana says...

So to answer your question about the magic. Not everyone can use it but it varies by country. The more open minded you are to the concept of magic outside your country the more you can learn to use. Its a very double edged sword in that way. Close minded and those who refuse to believe in other kinds of magic will not be able to learn those arts. But not everyone has a talent for magics outsode their own country. Spells are created by intent hence why each country and its culture and history have shaped how magic is intently used.

Arians eyes change color because her magic is unique in a way that it seeps into every aspect of her. She's like a living channel of potent magic due to a horrible experimemt by scientists gone wrong.
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 am
Carlito says...

NANO <3

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this MC and this world! I like the idea that the more open minded you are the more you can learn about magic.

What does Ariana want? What's standing in her way? And why does it matter?
What is the central conflict of the book going to be?
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

378 Reviews

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:26 am
Soulkana says...

@Carlito

My plot is very diverse atm as I am currently using NaNo to worldbuild more heavily in order to fully prepare to write this entire story afterwards, or even a bit during it.

To answer your questions

What does Ariana want?

She wants peace for her country as she finds out before the series begins that she is the last of two living heirs to the Crown. But she also seeks revenge on the man whom murdered her parents and had her sold to scientists in order to kill her, successful in a way but not in another as she lives, but is now different.

What stands in her way?

Two people with strong political or personal gains. One is the Light Lord whom murdered her parents to prevent the monarchy from reestablishing itself upon her of age at 21. The other is the Dark Lord, Igor, whom hates the class system and has no personal honor and will kill all who oppose or side with him. And she herself, is also standing in her way as she cannot control the powerful magic the scientists awoke upon her death and resuscitation as a child alongside her fear of rejection because she's no longer human or a normal magic user, but she resolves herself to fight and gain power in order to free her future people from them.

The Central Conflict of this Series is the war as she defends her people and begins to root out all the bias and hatred bred to take down the opposing sides of magic. The overall conflict of this book is the setting of the war, her need to overcome her own issues and gain strength.

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor