z

Young Writers Society

When writing novel's.....

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:32 am
Cyvain87 says...

I have been debating in my own mind for quite some time now about whether when writing novels it would be detrimental to write different genres as a lot of the ideas and concepts I have noted down span over many different genres. Some even cover multiple on their own. Does anyone have any input on this to help me make a final decision? I feel I need to clarify this before I begin writing any of the novel-length ideas I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:19 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Genres are a marketing convention meant to sell books.

Aka, they are best tossed out in the conception stage (other than for pulling tropes that make up the genre) and not looked at seriously until you start to think about querying.

Not to mention, most stories genre blend. Genres come in both plot and setting flavours, with things like "fantasy" and "sci fi" being settings and "mystery", "Action adventure", and "coming of age" being plot. You can and should blend setting with plot genres, because that's what makes a good book.

Genres aren't limited to your ideas of what a genre is. I would strongly suggest to write whatever idea grabs you, and only once it's revised and polished and ready to be submitted that you slot it into a genre.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

15 Reviews

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:58 am
Cyvain87 says...

Cyvain87 wrote:I have been debating in my own mind for quite some time now about whether when writing novels it would be detrimental to write different genres as a lot of the ideas and concepts I have noted down span over many different genres. Some even cover multiple on their own. Does anyone have any input on this to help me make a final decision? I feel I need to clarify this before I begin writing any of the novel-length ideas I have.

Thank you so much for this response! That really has helped me understand things a bit more.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

And if your ideas fit into several different genres, that's 100% okay too! Just because you write one fantasy novel doesn't mean you're now only allowed to write fantasy novels. Even if you have publishing aspirations and end up publishing a novel someday, you're allowed to switch genres.

Like Rosey said, it really only matters when you get to the querying/publishing stage, but it can be helpful to think about during the planning and editing phases as well so you can think about tropes and conventions of the genre (like for example I tend to write contemporary romance which means I need to include a happily ever after or a happy for now ending and that's good to know when I'm planning). It can also be helpful to think about so you don't end up biting off more than you can chew because you're trying to incorporate six different genres into one novel. But don't stress about it too much and write what you want :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

15 Reviews

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm
Cyvain87 says...

Carlito wrote:And if your ideas fit into several different genres, that's 100% okay too! Just because you write one fantasy novel doesn't mean you're now only allowed to write fantasy novels. Even if you have publishing aspirations and end up publishing a novel someday, you're allowed to switch genres.

Like Rosey said, it really only matters when you get to the querying/publishing stage, but it can be helpful to think about during the planning and editing phases as well so you can think about tropes and conventions of the genre (like for example I tend to write contemporary romance which means I need to include a happily ever after or a happy for now ending and that's good to know when I'm planning). It can also be helpful to think about so you don't end up biting off more than you can chew because you're trying to incorporate six different genres into one novel. But don't stress about it too much and write what you want :)

Thank you for your input too.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:16 am
Prokaryote says...

Have you heard of cell phone novels? I think they would be right up your alley.

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:11 am
View Likes
Cyvain87 says...

Prokaryote wrote:Have you heard of cell phone novels? I think they would be right up your alley.

Sorry for such a delay in replying but no I haven't please tell me more!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm
TheWeirdoFromBeyond says...

I completely agree that it's okay and probably better when you merge genres. Also wanted to add, when you're writing, just don't mind a lot of the genre, just write what you have in your mind. When you have finished your project, you can then decide which genre stands out most among the ones appearing in your project.
I don't act this way to change the world, I act this way so that the goddamn world won't change me!
-Desert Hearts
You don't think I am weird? You don't know me at all.
-TheWeirdoFromBeyond

TheWeirdoFromBeyond is a LGBT+ supporter

15 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:34 pm
Cyvain87 says...

TheWeirdoFromBeyond wrote:I completely agree that it's okay and probably better when you merge genres. Also wanted to add, when you're writing, just don't mind a lot of the genre, just write what you have in your mind. When you have finished your project, you can then decide which genre stands out most among the ones appearing in your project.

Thanks that sounds like a very helpful tip!

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou