z

Young Writers Society

Soul

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 am
View Likes
beckiw says...

So I guess I'm doing this?? Roguing it up a bit to make headway on my current project.

Here is a not very detailed, very short, book blurby thing! -

When Trina Ross was four, she opened a door she can't close and the dead walk through. Now in her second year of university, Trina knows ghosts. She knows the tickle of their names whispered against her ear, knows never to ask questions and has known for a long time that if the door remains open, she will die. But when William arrives into her life, full of burning curiosity, a million questions and completely oblivious to his wrongness, Trina has to admit she doesn't know everything.
There is only this: He is not a ghost. But he is not quite alive either.
Together with her friends, Trina must traverse the city of Edinburgh and her own advancing past to solve the riddle of William and save him before her own time runs out.
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Oh boy!!!!!! I'm so excited for this!

My main curiosity is, and you certainly don't need to have an answer for this now, about Trina's impending doom. I'm interested in why/how it will kill her and whether it has always been a fixed timeline (you'll die at 22) or if it's more vague/shifting (eventually the door will deplete all your energy or something). I know you'll come up with something perfect and fascinating <3
Got YWS?

272 Reviews

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...

@Lauren2010 It's more of a depleting energy type deal to do with how wide the door is open and how many questions Trina asks. So at the moment it's like a catch 22? The more she helps William, the more she depletes her own energy.

Main Cast

Trina - MC. Wary. Independent. Always tired. Often cranky. Is usually more scared than she lets on. Loyal to a fault. Likes to be in control. Also likes angry music. Will slam a door in your face if you annoy her. Would prefer not to be a ghost homing beacon. Misses her mother (and her father but you'll never hear that from her). Scottish but not quite as Scottish as Pete.

A song Trina likes: Young Men Dead - The Black Angels

William - Very William. Energetic. Foe to technology. Fizzes like static (if you're Trina). Always curious. Often acts before he thinks. Is very present until he is very absent. Lonely. Would prefer not to have debilitating migraines. English but definitely more English than you think.

A song William likes: Sunshine on my Shoulders - John Denver

Pete - Lanky. Ginger. Likes to make his freckles frown. Tech whizz. More likely to ooze oil than blood if cut. Protective childhood friend (if you're Trina). Always cautious. Often grouchy. The Dad. Will make you eat salad. Would prefer not to have his best friend die. Scottish but won't admit to crying at the end of Braveheart.

A song Pete likes: The Heart Asks First - Michael Nyman

Lucy - Loud. Has purple hair (today at least). Likes swishy skirts. Always says what she thinks. Often taking photos. Digital cameras offend her. Loves everything paranormal. Yes everything. Will look at you like an experiment if you interest her. Would prefer if the paranormal liked her as much. Polish but would like you to think of her as Lucy first.

A song Lucy likes: Dreamsellers - Myslovitz

Ollie - Shiny. Likes Sugar. Is probably 90% sugar. The baby. Has a wardrobe that is really a pile on the floor. Crumpled. Always smiling. Often a little bit lost. Doesn't know where the crockery lives. Will tell you about rocks. A lot about rocks. Would prefer it if everyone was happy and safe. Is rich. We think? English but no one quite knows from which part.

A song Ollie likes: Under the Moon of Love - Showaddywaddy

Supporting Cast

Dustbin (nickname) - Roommate to The Puppy (William). Talks rubbish. No, really. No one quite knows what he's saying. Likes loud music. Likes Ollie. Doesn't like touching.

A song Dustbin likes: Give Me More - Grandtheft

Gaston (nickname) - Roommate to The Puppy (William). Rarely sleeps in his own bed. Rarely seen. But everyone agrees this is probably good.

Penny & Walter McFarlane - Pete's parents. Warm. Looked out for Trina. Worry. But make squishy sandwiches and first aid kits for ghost hunts.

A song Penny likes and Walter tolerates when she sings that particular line off key: Vienna - Ultravox

Keith Ross - Trina's Dad. Alcoholic. General disappointment. Cares too hard and too late.

Liora Ross - Trina's Mum. Deceased. Could also see ghosts.

A song Trina remembers dancing to with her Mum: Mud - Tiger Feet
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 pm
View Likes
Panikos says...

I'm so excited for this! Your character descriptions are amazing. I can't wait to see them all in action.
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:22 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm so obsessed with this story! And your blurb is so good - I didn't know about the door and the energy and... ah... basically, great job! It also gave me a serious Raven Boys vibe.

I love this cast so much and your cast list is great... I love the nationality descriptors xD
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

272 Reviews

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:06 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...

Removed.
Last edited by beckiw on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

272 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm
View Likes
beckiw says...

Removed.
Last edited by beckiw on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 am
View Likes
Cadi says...

Just caught up with your first two posts in full (although I'd seen bits and pieces already in WFP of course), and maaan. I love all these characters already, and I want more! Also, you write all my favourite sentences, like this one:
He was wearing a tired and bulky overcoat as a dressing down and a mild, surprised expression as a face.

"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:43 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Becks <3 sorry it's taken this long for me to comment!

Firstly, I really like the ease with which you seem to be writing Soul. I don't know if it always feels easy, but you definitely make it look easy. It flows so well and all I need to do is follow along! It makes it such a pleasure to read and enjoy.

I already told you this but the first submission kind of made me tear up a bit. Her encounter with her dad just seemed full of these little real details, and I could really truly feel what I imagined Trina was feeling. Like on paper he's the adult, and he tries to act like he is, but Trina knows he's not and he refuses to acknowledge it. It was really D:

The second one on the other hand felt so lovely and light after the first one. I love the colourfulness of the group of friends, and again, everything seems very real. Also I love how when you can finally write about a real place you're like TEA, TEA, TEA, CUSTARD CREAMS, YAY I CAN WRITE ABOUT THE UK, TEAAAAA. I love it xD it's truly beautiful.

I agree with Cadi that you write looovely sentences. One of my favourites was this:

Anyone but Pete who had grown limbs long enough to escape.

I guess all I can say is that I'm really enjoying it so far, and it's nice how with LMS you get like one episode per week xD I loves you <333
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt