1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Week 5 - Chapter Thirteen - 2,149 words

Spoiler! :
Over the past six years, whenever Astrid imagined the day she left Avery's Academy for Gifted Girls, in her mind it was a glorious sunny day. The house sat like a slab of butter in the middle of the woods, students and staff lined up on the steps to wave a fond, final farewell to the Final Years. She and Alicia rode side by side, moon and sun, Alicia's hair streaming behind them like a flag. It was their moment of triumph and victory, riding through the golden gates into whatever their own exciting destinies were to be.
She did not see it like this: hurried, harrowed, silent. Girls stuffing trunks full of petticoats and journals and perfume bottles. Pulling on cloaks and riding habits that hadn't seen open air since the previous winter as Madame Avery prepared to vanish forty of Samina's aristocratic children into the night. The makeshift plans to move to the Avery townhouse indefinitely. She hadn't imagined leaving nearly everything she owned behind, to be shipped off to the Hazel Peninsula at a later date.
She hadn't imagined arriving that Saturday afternoon, to find Genevieve's tiny hands curled around the gleaming bars of the gate, howling at the sky, about the news she'd heard from George. No one had seen the letter, it had shot into flames the moment Genevieve finished reading it, but she was insistent. "George said it was a dragon."
"George probably just imagined that," Antonia replied.
“Are you calling him a liar? Are you calling me a liar?”
And Astrid had certainly not imagined that evening, the cold trickles of dread running down her neck when fifteen year old Vivienne Rallstop left her room in a huff after lights-out and never came back.
She did not imagine, ever, leaving Avery's Academy in the middle of the the night, like a thief, the house a spectre of what it once was, a ghostly grey place in the dark bearing little semblance to their warm, honeyed home. They rode in caravan, doubling up and tripling up on what horses the Academy had. Sylvia Dovecote settled in front of Astrid, as well one of the littlest First Years who was so excited to ride on Astrid's new mare but was now so drowsy she threatened to slip from the saddle. Astrid righted her, and let a sleeping Sylvia lean back against her chest.
The horses were quiet, the girls sombre. Everyone was afraid.
The rain had cleared the magic from the trees. The forest was dark and murky, but from little light they made themselves.

--

“This is far from ideal.” Antonia wriggled and pushed against the curtain behind her, eliciting a yelp from the Fifth Year on the other side. Antonia grinned and shouted through the thin divide, "Stop trying to steal my space!"
The Avery townhouse was not, despite the headmistress's optimism, large enough to accommodate forty students and all of the staff. After rooms had been allocated to staff there was so little room that the Fourth, Fifth and Final Years were sent to make bedrolls in the attic. Old sheets hung from the rafters to separate their respective dormitories, and the space that the four of them were to share was a mess of mismatched bedding and blankets, pillows robbed from elsewhere in the house, Gift-lit candles in jars to prevent setting the whole tentlike setup on fire.
"I'm pretty sure that that's Constance Markin you just pushed," Astrid remarked, feeling her eyebrow jump a fraction of an inch. "She's six foot tall. No doubt she needs the room."
"Well, she should have considered this eventuality before she decided to," Antonia grunted and elbowed the Constance-shaped intrustion, "grow."
Astrid squeezed her eyes shut, shifting her hip on the floor board, begging sleep to claim her as the attic quietened. She wasn't tired, not at all, it was as if her mind was on fire - Alicia and Charlie and Vivienne all gone, Nathaniel in prison, and no idea what to do about any of it. She heard the muffled thumps of each of her friends lying down in turn to sleep, her eyelids turned a darker shade of black as Genevieve blew out the candle. She felt sleep caress her hair and her hands, and then a movement at her feet made her jump.
"We need a plan," Setter whispered, and all three of them sat up like they were on springs. Astrid relit the candle with a flick of her wrist.
The Fifth Years groaned.
"A plan for what?" Genevieve asked, eyes bright in the flickering half-light. Her hair had seemed so limp and lifeless, but now it was dancing again.
"To save our friends and clear Nathaniel's name," Setter said with a shrug.
"Yes, but how?" Astrid asked, shimmying forward over the mess of eiderdowns and blankets. "We have no idea where they are or what to do."
"We need to talk to George, first of all," Setter said.
"I can do that!" piped Genevieve.
Setter smiled, and hesitated for a moment. "And we need to talk to Laurel."
A collective groan echoed in the rafters.
"Sh," said a Fifth Year.
"Oh, shut up." Antonia thumped Constance Markin through the curtain. “Do we have to involve Laurel Sigrid?”
“It would be silly to discount half the eyewitnesses just because they’ve got stupid pig noses,” said Astrid.
“It’s not just her nose and you know it-“
“We need to talk to Laurel, and either way, we need to get to the palace,” insisted Setter.
"Why?"
"Because that's where all the information is about dragon magic."
"Apart from you," Astrid said, and felt half a smile twitch on her lips for what felt like the first time in days. "Alright, so we have a plan. But how do we get into the palace?"
“Duchess Race.” Setter gave a whimsical smile. “Don’t you think, now that you’re in the city, you should report to the King?”

--

“Madame, I think it would be more beneficial if I-“
“Do you, Astrid?” Madame Avery peered at her carefully over her tea cup, a calculated length of time to remind Astrid that Madame Avery was above matters such as Astrid’s thoughts. “I think it would be more beneficial for you to stay here and continue your classes with the other girls.”
“Like Alicia is doing?” Astrid snapped.
Madame Avery set her tea down.
Astrid drew herself up to her full considerable height, and put on her best duchess voice. “I apologise for my outburst. However, for my own piece of mind, and for the good of my people in the Hazel Peninsula as their duchess, and for the good of the realm as a peer, I pray that you give me leave today to attend our sovereign in the palace to discuss the distressing matter at hand."
The headmistress pursed her lips, but Astrid knew she could already see the truth. Madame Avery could deny a student her right to leave the Academy, but she could not deny a fully-fledged peer of the realm the chance to leave this cramped, noisy house to seek out more important matters.
“Very well. You may go to the Palace today. On foot.” The idea of walking through the city was meant to deter Astrid, but it didn’t.
She drew breath. The next part was bolder still. “And Madame, seeing as the Final Year class will be so diminished, with both mine and Alicia’s going… perhaps it would be better if the others came with me. As a learning exercise.”
A cocked eyebrow was the only sign of mild surprise. “And what classes do you intend on missing?”
“Duelling, which can hardly take place in the garden here,” Astrid said, glancing to where Madame Hearing hungrily devoured her breakfast while watching the students. “And Embroidery, but all of our work boxes are still in the Academy.”
Madame Avery sighed away the rest of her patience. “Fine. Go. Be back before dinner and for Goddess’s sake, don’t do anything stupid.”
Astrid curtseyed. “I would never, Madame.”
She signalled success to the other Final Years. Genevieve gave a triumphant punch at waist level. The girls were bunched in assorted groups across the carpet of the dining room, perching on windowsills, leant at jaunty angles on furniture not made to support little aristocrats.
The city was bustling too. The Avery townhouse was a tall, thin house near the canal, and barges floated past the back of it. Astrid inhaled fresh bread and smoked meat.
The streets of Cadoras hummed with scandal. They had their hoods up, but it was a poor disguise. Everything from their embroidered hems to their tall posture marked them as noblewomen, even on foot, and she couldn’t help but notice how the crowds hushed as they passed, as if they might disapprove of gossip. Astrid closed her eyes, just for a second, enjoying the heat and atmosphere.
“Prayers for the princess?”
She opened her eyes again. They were in a square, the market in full swing. On the edge of the gurgling fountain was a makeshift shrine, a yellow-haired doll within. A woman in her sixties was holding out a haphazard, blackish garland to her. Astrid grasped it in one hand, the flowers were dying and crinkled at her touch, but didn’t take it off the woman.
"Thank you," she said, digging in her pocket for a coin.
"I've another one here - a prayer for peace." She held up another garland, some flowers purple instead of white. Astrid considered it.
"But we are at peace," she said to the lady.
The woman screwed her eyes up at the iron grey sky. "Ain't you been praying? Ain't you been listening to the gods? Can't you smell it? There's war on the wind."
She scuttled off to serve her next customer, leaving Astrid feeling thoroughly unnerved.
They approached the palace gates - the silver trees looking as grey and dull as steel on the cloudy day. They were slightly ajar, and a figure that Astrid recognised was leaving through them. His limbs were so long and spidery it seemed unnatural for him to be moving this fast, like a puppet whose master wasn't paing attention. But as he came closer his big black eyes were unmistakeable, even though he was flushed and flustered in a way she had never seen him before.
"Rudy?" she asked.
His mouth dropped open and he came to a stop slowly, blinking in case she was an apparition. "Astrid."
"What's wrong?" She didn't waste time assuming there wasn't a problem.
"I - I went looking for you but they said you had left the Capital. I didn't expect-"
He broke off as the other Avery girls circled around them. Antonia had her hands on her hips in her most intimidating stance. "This is Rudy," she explained quickly. "My friend from the gardens. What is it, Rudy? Don't worry, these are just the girls, you can speak freely."
"I wouldn't bother you except I don't know what to do and maybe you can help," he said, words rushing out, escaping over the cliff's edge of his tongue before he knew it. "It's my little brother, Peter. He's gone."
A shiver slipped down Astrid’s spine, slick and serpentine. “He disappeared,” she said, as flat and uninquisitive as Rudy's own statements.
Rudy wiped his nose with the back of his hand. “My mother says he’s been missing since yesterday morning.”
"How?"
"I don't know. He just never came home. But I remembered how you had asked about the city children disappearing and I... I thought you should know. I couldn't find you but..." He met her eyes with his, big and wide and gentle.
"I'm on my way to speak to the King, and I will do everything I can to make sure someone looks into this for you."
She wanted to pull him into a hug, whisper into his feathery hair, but she was aware that even the Avery girls pausing on the street for so long had drawn a crowd. Instead, she reached forward and squeezed his hand.
"We're staying at the Avery townhouse, down near the canal. Go home to your family, and if I'm not in the palace, you'll find me there. I'll try to help you, Rudy."
He gave a messy, uneven bow. "Thank you, Your Grace."
She let him head on his way into the deepest alleyways of the city and turned back to the others.
Setter was shifting from foot to foot as if the ground were too hot. "Something's not right," she said.
They looked back at the looming gates, the magnificent palace beyond. Astrid didn't know why, but it made her shudder, as if it were a disease in the heart of Samina, spreading its branches like the silver tree on the gates.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:18 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

AHHH THE FORESHADOWING. Omg I loved it, there were so many eerie and ominous parts here! Poor Rudy is so distraught :( (and rightly so) But I love the ending somehow because it's like building up to something absolutely epic and badass and I'm so ready for it. I can't wait for more <3
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Chapter 19 - 2678 words.

Technically this is out of sequence because I realised, after writing it, that it should be 19, not 18. But look, it's done.

Spoiler! :
The day was long and langourous and they'd wanted nothing more than to stay out in the green north of the palace. It struck Laurel, with the edges of the trees set on fire by early autumn, the sun and the breeze in a medley on her face, that all she wanted to do was keep riding.
"What if we never went back?" she asked Seb, shooting a glance at him from under her lashes.
"Losing both his heirs in less than a fortnight would be the end of my father," Seb said. It wasn't a 'no'. She knew he wanted out of the palace as much as she did. It was simply that it was not Laurel he would want by his side. She shrugged it off. They turned around. They went home.

--

As the knot of gondoliers shimmered into recognisable form, Laurel saw someone she did not expect waiting at the dock. Something roared in Laurel's stomach, something she couldn't name.
"Judge Pitcher," she said. The older man looked around, stunned, and narrowed his eyes at her.
"Laurel Sigrid," she said, curtseying. "We met at the door of the Queen's study yesterday."
Sweat glistened on his forehead. "Yes. Um. Miss Sigrid. How nice to bump into you again."
He waved at a gondolier - a lanky boy with enormous eyes that Laurel didn't know - to go ahead and leave inquisitive seventeen year olds firmly on this side of the lake. As soon as Judge Pitcher had climbed rather inelegantly into the gondola, she hitched up her skirts and hopped into the back bench, arranging the layers of her habit around her. The gondolier looked confused, but remained tightlipped as he pushed them away from shore.
"Her Majesty was discussing the business she'd had with you with me," Laurel lied. "I hope you've come to a suitable agreement."
Judge Pitcher, eyes bulging, twisted in his seat. "Now, look here - I don't know what lies she's been feeding you -"
"Oh, no, don't worry, I won't say a word. I know that you and your wife are coming to the ball on Friday, I would hate to put a dampener on celebrations." Laurel held her hands up in innocence. "I was simply making conversation."
"Good," the judge huffed. "Because it's all been taken completely out of context to suit Her Majesty's wishes. That boy was only assisting me in my office." She stayed silent. "I have a lot of paperwork." The sound of the boat on still water. "Besides, he had already been acquitted. I had no role in his sentencing." He had turned as purple as Laurel's skirts.
"I have no doubt of your strict moral code," Laurel said sweetly. "You are one of our justices after all. I was just hoping that you'd managed to do what the Queen wanted."
"She needn't have sent the dogs after my scent," he grumbled. "I was coming to tell her myself. Bolt's execution is set for Friday at dawn."
The gondola swerved as the gondolier stumbled and caught his balance with his stick against the lake bed. Laurel took a deep breath.
"How delighted I am to hear it," Laurel said, and knew she had not done a good job of sounding delighted at all.
The gondola nosed onto the island and Judge Pitcher, the small puddle of sweat on the seat the only evidence he had been there.
"What an odious man," Laurel said to herself.
"He was talking about Nathaniel Bolt."
She stared over her shoulder at the gondolier, still frozen in his punting stance.
"He was," she said, cocking her head at him. "Friend of yours?"
"No," said the gondolier. "Friend of Astrid's."
She blinked, hard. "And Astrid is a friend of yours?" Laurel always assumed that Astrid was too much of a snob for that.
"We should tell her."
The gondola carrying Seb crunched as it hit the shore. "Laurel, what was that?" he asked.
She considered Seb, his serious grey eyes and mop of black hair, his face creased with concern. She knew how the conversation would go. Seb would advise they didn't get involved. Seb would advise that it was best to simply keep out of his mother's way. Seb would tell her that it was someone else's job to look after Nathaniel Bolt. He would remind her that she wasn't even friends with Nathaniel, why would she care? Seb would, like always, recommend that they just keep their heads down, keeping seeking what haven they could from the wilds of the palace, and wait for the day they could leave it.
But Seb hadn't seen the dragon. He hadn't watched Charlie Ribbon struggle as he was stolen into the skies. Unlike Laurel, who was cursed with the truth: Sir Nathaniel Bolt had nothing to do with it. An innocent man had been sentenced to death, and she couldn't let it happen.
"Don't worry," she said to him now. "You should head inside, I'll see you later."
His eyes travelled from her to the gondolier and a new, familiar, frustration crossed his face. "Laurel-"
"It's not what you think," she insisted. "Go on. I'll be fine."
Seb grunted. Without looking at her, he stepped onshore and stormed inside. A bubble of guilt grew in her stomach, but she ignored it.
"You're just sitting in a gondola," the gondolier helpfully informed her.
"I'm thinking," she said, "about what to do next."
"I think we should tell Astrid."
She narrowed her eyes at him. "We aren't going to go to Astrid Race of all people."
He didn't seem perturbed. "I thought it was a good idea. She's his friend, after all. She would probably like to know."
"And she'd probably like to be more than friends as well," she muttered, then more brightly added, "George is his friend too. We'll go to him. Come on. He's on duty by the King's study."
She climbed out of the little boat then paused, holding up a hand. "Wait, why am I asking you to come along?"
He shrugged again.
"I don't even think we've met before. What's your name?"
"Rudy Black, miss. I'm usually a gardener. I just do the gondolas when they're short."
"Laurel Sigrid."
Recognition lit up his face. "Oh!" He tilted his head, and Laurel suddenly got the uncomfortable feeling of being under inspection. "You know, your nose really isn't that bad at all."

--

Laurel wasn't exactly sure why she was letting the gondolier-gardener tag along, but there was something calming about his certainty, and something fun in seeing his awe at being in the palace for the first time. They took the back stairs, as Laurel liked to do, and even though these were the servant stairs, he still continued to admire the varnish on the dark wood, the ironwork of the small, high windows at the top of the stairwell.
"There's nothing green, though," he said. "With that light you could have baskets and cascades of leaves coming all the way down here, if only someone watered them..."
"I can see why you and Astrid are friends," she said, rolling her eyes.
They approached the King's Quarters, and there was George, half-blocking the door. He did a double-take when he saw them approaching, and stepped away from the door, hissing, "Laurel, what are you doing here? Who's this?"
"Rudy Black, gondolier, gardener, new friend - no time to explain. Listen." She filled him in quickly about the conversation she had overheard outside the Queen's study, and the one she had held in the gondola.
"So Judge Pitcher..."
"Is being blackmailed into giving this sentence."
“And you’re sureit was Nathaniel?” George checked.
"Yes, sir, I was there," said Rudy.
George drummed on his breastplate. "We can't let them do that," he said. "Nathaniel's innocent, isn't he?"
"I know he had nothing to do with Charlie, but now that I know that the Queen is blackmailing people into sentencing him, he definitely can't have anything to do with it."
George eyed her. “When did you get so smart, Laurel?”
“Since I realised that a royal court is just another name for a pack of liars.” She bit the inside of her cheek. “What do we do, George?”
“We tell the King.”
She stared at him, but her brother was so simple in his thought processes, so earnest. Laurel loved him for it, even though he had been in this court just as long as she had, and had recognised the poison in their own family long before Laurel understood it, George still believed in goodness. Laurel wasn’t so sure if she did.
Before she had a moment to answer, the door of the study opened. George jumped to attention and Rudy's eyes widened so much it seemed that his face was about to be consumed by the blackness of them.
"What brings the Sigrid siblings to my door?" the King asked, eyes twinkling. "And is this one of the brothers I hear so much about?"
"Sire, Laurel has just informed me that Sir Nathaniel Bolt is in grave danger," said George, with no hesitation. "And we urge you to consider his release."
The King opened the door a little wider. "I suppose you'd better all come inside."
Compared to the Queen’s, the King’s study was always in disarray. Piles of papers threatened to topple over on every surface. It was full of knick-knacks and trinkets, presents from visiting diginitaries, rocks that Seb had brought him, dried flowers Alicia and Astrid had prepared. Every inch of the wall was covered with paintings and sketches. Despite the sheer volume of belongings the King had stuffed into the room, it was still bright, with light pouring in through three huge windows overlooking the courtyards below. All three of them stood awkwardly in the entranceway, Rudy clearly not quite believing his luck.
“Now, I know my cells are rather damp, but I can't imagine that that is the grave danger of which you speak."
“With all due respect, Your Majesty,” Laurel said, taking in a deep breath. “The Queen has bribed Judge Pitcher to bring up his excution to Friday morning.”
The King sighed. It was a small sigh, almost inaudible, but it was there. A hand reached up and stroked his beard, just for a second. He pushed himself up and went to the window, looking down at the four season courtyards, the summer one now dying off as the autumn one came to life in a flash of colour.
“I’ve been trying to work out what those little orange flowers are below. They do surprise me every autumn when they grow. Do either of you know what they are?”
Laurel and George shook their heads in confused unison.
"Dahlias," said Rudy, followed by a clumsy, "Your Majesty."
The King nodded. “I’ve never been much of a botanist.”
He looked straight at the Sigrids, his face not faltering once.
“But do you know who is?”

--

"I want to go with you," George muttered through the door of her room.
"You can't. You're on duty again in twenty minutes. You have to be here."
She stood back to open the door, threshold still blocked by George. "Get out of my way."
"I'll go when I'm done."
"You'll only draw more suspicion. Besides, Avery won't even let you in, considering your main goal in life is to seduce one of her students."
"But at least Astrid likes me."
"She doesn't have to like me. She just has to trust me," Laurel said, smoothing down her dress. It was the plainest she owned, paired with boots and a soft, dark wool cloak.
"She likes me," Rudy said with a shrug. "Don't worry, sir. I'll keep your sister safe. I know the city well."
"See? I have Rudy. I'll be just splendid." She squeezed George's hand as best she could with its gauntlet. "I'll be back by midnight."
They took the quickest, quiestest way out of the palace, and Rudy silently punted them back across the lake. She had snuck out of the palace itself plenty of times, but never past the gates by herself like this.
It was time to be brave.
“Lady Sigrid, isn’t it past your bedtime?” joked the guard on the gate and Laurel cursed. There went any plans of slipping through as servants. “What would the Queen say?”
Laurel stepped up beside the guard and reached onto her tiptoes to press a kiss on his cheek. “The Queen doesn’t need to know, does she?”
Red rose quickly onto the man’s cheeks and neck and he gave his partner a bashful look. “I suppose not,” he said, and they opened the gates a fraction to let her out.
"That was impressive," said Rudy once they were safely on the other side. "Come on. Astrid say they were down near the canal."
Laurel rarely had a chance to appreciate Cadoras in all its smelly, dark glory. A part of her wanted to hide in a corner and watch the night unfold, to watch men go to and fro between taverns and brothels. To watch girls like herself skipping out of their houses to meet their lovers. But with all that she had seen and heard that day, she was wound as tightly as she could possibly be by fear. One wrong move and Laurel was worried she might just snap.
Instead she followed Rudy, quiet as a lamb, through the streets towards the Avery townhouse, arms tucked around her sides.
It was obvious which house it was as soon as she reached the narrow street running along the canal. There were lights on in every room, and even from fifty feet away, giggling tumbled out of it and drew Laurel forward. She rearranged her own features as best she could as they went up the steps.
"You're sure this is the house," said Rudy.
She nodded, because solitude ached in her ribs so much standing on these steps. The way it always did when she was around the Avery girls.
She went to knock and was amazing to find that the door pushed itself open quite willingly. The inside hall was lit with candles and warm, the buzz of the girls so loud that no one had heard the door opening. Laurel shut it again as qietly as she could, and took her cloak off. Her best chance of not being noticed was simply to blend in.
Now all she had to do was find Astrid Race.
As she peered into each of the reception rooms in turn, Laurel couldn’t help feeling jealous. There were so many girls, from diminuitive first years through to older students who looked as if they had already seen and experienced the whole world. They were all sitting in groups, of knots of two and three and bigger circles, talking, laughing, playing games. Laurel saw one checking over another’s embroidery, one reading a story to an enthralled audience. In this moment there were no teachers, no parents, no monarchs telling them to be quiet, to sit up straight, to mind their own business. There was just friendship. It was not a concept with which Laurel was familiar. The only friend Laurel had ever had was Seb, and that hardly counted.
She found Astrid’s yellow head in the sea of others, sitting between Genevieve and Antonia closest to the fire in the living room. Laurel steadied herself, and walked straight across the room towards them.
Lady Daspire was the first one to see her, turning and raising a perfect eyebrow. “Well,” she said. “Look what the cat dragged in.”
"Laurel?" Genevieve asked, positively aghast.
"Rudy?" Astrid asked, even more confused.
The other four all followed her gaze. Astrid’s mouth opened only slightly, Genevieve looked positively aghast.
Laurel tried to ignore them all, and looked only at the one she was here for.
“Astrid,” she implored, “we need your help.”
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Chapter 21 - 1650 words. Uh I'm going to say it's a 16+ rating although I mean it isn't *really* but still.

Spoiler! :

A couple of agitated hours later, Astrid jumped at the sound of a knock on the door.
"Astrid?"
She had never been so glad to hear the voice of the Honourable Laurel Sigrid
There was one knock at the door, a couple of hours later. It was Laurel and Astrid never thought she would be so happy to see the Honourable Lady Sigrid, her eyes wide with concern.
"Thank the Goddess you're alright," Laurel whispered and then something unexpected happened: Laurel hugged her.
And even more unexpectedly, Astrid hugged her back.
“I brought some things,” Laurel whispered, and opened the door again to reveal two pitchers of hot water, a basket full of food, and a pile of clothes. “The clothes are George’s, so they’ll be enormous on Nathaniel, but that’s the most I could manage. The hot water was in the lady’s bathroom downstairs and not being used, and I figured Sir Bolt would want a bath,” she said, and sniffed. “He could certainly use one. And the food is spare from the kitchen.”
Astrid helped her carry the things into Alicia's room.
“Are they suspicious yet?” Astrid asked.
Laurel shrugged. “Yes. Of course. But they don’t suspect us – George is a surprisingly good actor, and they’d never expect either of us to go against the King and Queen. And George was right. They assume you’ve left the island,” she told Nathaniel. “Searching the grounds and the city but not the palace. So you’re safe up here for now.”
“Thank you for everything, Laurel,” Astrid said, and meant every word.
“I’ll leave you alone,” Laurel said, and Astrid could see just a little mischief in her eyes as she left.
Nathaniel was draped across Alicia's four-poster bed, drowsing. Astrid went over and gently shook his shoulder. "Nat?" she asked. "There's water. You should wash before it gets cold."
He sat up, rubbed his eyes. "Where did the water come from?"
"Laurel." Astrid paused. "I think, perhaps, I've been a little unkind to her all these years."
Nathaniel was too polite to agree with her. Instead, he stretched and went into the washroom. The door was still a fraction open. Astrid was transfixed as he pulled off his grubby shirt, the muscles in his abdomen and chest pulling tight. Steam rose in rings around him from the silver bowl by his feet as he scrubbed himself down with Alicia’s pink soap. Then he knelt down and lifted the silver jug that accompanied the bowl to wash his hair.
Astrid stepped towards the door. "Let me help you," she said.
Nathaniel rolled his eyes. “I can wash my own hair,” he grumbled, but it was a gentle kind of grumble.
“Let me help you,” Astrid repeated.
He looked at her for a long moment. “You’ve already helped me enough today, Astrid. I am already too far in your debt.”
She knelt down beside him and took the jug from his hand. “It was my choice to help you. I would never hold you to account for what I did today.”
He was very close to her, their eyes and noses and mouths all level.
He bowed his head.
Astrid chose one of Alicia’s hairbrushes and rinsed Nathaniel’s hair through, brushing out all the dirt and grime and grease that the cell had left there. Nathaniel stayed very still, and very quiet. She watched the water run in little rivulets over the back of his neck, the tiny blond hairs that nestled there and those at the top of his chest. His curls got darker with the water.
Astrid set the brush down and handed him a towel. “All done. I’ll leave you to change.”
The beauty of a palace the size of Dagarell Palace was that nobody came up here without intention. After Laurel left, the princess’s blue and silver bedchamber lay isolated and untouched.
Nathaniel came out of the bathroom again, in the almost comically oversized but wonderfully clean clothes, and toed the hair pins left scattered on the carpet beside Alicia’s dressing table. “What happened here?” he asked.
“Tiny swords,” Astrid said, and when he looked at her in bemusement she just shrugged and said, “For tiny soldiers.” A smile grew on her lips.
They ate the food like children at a picnic, on the floor. By Astrid’s count there was at least enough for six people, but Nathaniel wolfed down at least half of it.
“It’s as if they don’t feed you in prison,” Astrid said, and at last, told him the story of what Laurel had overheard and why they had rescued him.
When she closed, Nathaniel sat with his knees hugged to his chest and said, “You still didn’t have to do that for me. You put yourself in so much danger.”
Astrid chewed her bottom lip. “Do you mean you wouldn’t do the same for me?”
Nathaniel shook his head. “I would do anything for you, Astrid.” His voice was hoarse.
All the hairs on Astrid’s arms stood up. “Good,” she said, her voice a little shaky, trying to make the situation lighter. “Because I haven’t told you how we’re getting you out of the city yet.”
The hours went by, Astrid feeling with every breath just how close Nathaniel was, just precisely how alone they were in this room that smelt of Alicia, that looked like Alicia. A part of her wanted to grab the bottle of gin from the cabinet just to calm her own nerves. She needed to be alert though. Nathaniel was here, Ungifted, without a sword, without a hope of protecting himself. That duty would fall to her.
“Won’t they be wondering why you aren’t at school?” Nathaniel asked. They were sitting on the floor by the window this time, far enough back that nobody could see them in the dying light.
Astrid shrugged. “I’ll make up some excuse. Besides, I’m nearly done there.”
“What happened to the Astrid Race I know?” Nathaniel asked.
Astrid turned her head to look at him. “She realised that nobody else is following the rules.”
Nathaniel seemed to consider her for a long moment. In the sunset, his eyes were darker, almost navy blue – still the colour of the sky. No matter what, his eyes were always the colour of the sky.
He turned away, but Astrid didn’t. Instead she watched his nose and chin, carefully silhouetted against Alicia’s room. He was looking down into the seasonal courtyards below, the autumn one now a vision of orange and yellow.
“That’s the tree you and Alicia always used to sit under,” he said, pointing.
Astrid nodded. “I was there earlier. I left her a gift. It feels like a temple to her or something. It’s silly.”
“It’s not silly. She deserves a temple.” Nathaniel returned his gaze into the cup of his own hands, examining the callouses on his fingers. “She deserves so many good things.”
And there it was – there she was. Alicia. Here they were in her room, here they were in all this trouble because of her, here they were, robbed of her light and craving each other’s all the more in the darkness she'd left behind.
Nathaniel met Astrid’s gaze again, and she could see his own light: pouring out of every crack and crevice. She wanted to suck it into her chest, keep him and his soul there nestled up against hers, she wanted a world where they could both feel happy and complete without the princess.
“The magnolia tree,” Nathaniel muttered again.
Astrid narrowed her eyes. “Yes, it’s a magnolia tree.”
“No, the…” Nathaniel closed his eyes and shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. Just something the King said.” Still with his eyes closed, his hand scrabbled across the carpet and touched hers.
Astrid took a sharp breath. She almost pulled away, but she didn’t. The feel of his skin against hers sent electricity up her arm. Her fingers tensed up, then relaxed enough to let her lace them with his, feeling the hard patches of skin and the tiny hairs on the back of his fingers.
Nathaniel released a shuddering sigh and opened his eyes, a new fire in them. “The King said…”
His hand traced up her arm, over the sleeve of her brown dress. “What did the King say?” Astrid breathed as his hand grazed her shoulder, and her neck, and rested on her face and made her forget everything in the world but Nathaniel.
He leant forward, and Astrid did not back away as he tilted his head and pressed his lips to hers.
In Astrid’s head, a thousand blasts of Gift went off, her mind was filled in every colour of the rainbow and then her mind was filled just with him, with him, with this kiss, with his kiss, with her own hands curling up in his curls and her kissing him back and never ever wanting this moment to end.
This was all she wanted, she realised, as he pulled her closer, his arm tightening around her waist, his fingers pulling her hair out of the restraints of its plait, this is what she had craved for those three years. She had never imagined it would really happen, that she would really be this close to him, that his hands would be on her body and his lips on her mouth and then her neck…
With their bodies pressed so close, he lowered her onto the ground, hovering above her, his mouth tracing lines along her collarbone – a collarbone that Alicia had bruised less than a fortnight ago, that day she disappeared, that day Astrid believed they had eloped – and then she started think about Alicia again –
And then she stopped thinking about Alicia again. Just like that, for once, for these sad, sorry two weeks, she stopped.
Nothing else mattered. For now, they were the only two people in the world.
Astrid let her hand slide up under George’s old shirt, Nathaniel’s warm, tense abdomen, over his chest and his shoulder. He paused kissing her for just a moment, and gave her a quizzical look.
Astrid shrugged. “You nearly died today. We might both die tomorrow.” With her other hand, she stroked his face, the fine stubble on his cheeks. “And even if we don’t, this might be the only chance we get.”
He grinned, and it was glorious, like dawn breaking over her. “Well, in that case.”
With a shrief of laughter, Nathaniel scooped her up in his arms and laid her down on the fluffy soft pile of cushions and eiderdown that was Alicia’s big princess bed. He lay down beside her and Astrid pulled his shirt off and traced kisses down his chest and let the world melt away.
--
Afterwards, they lay entangled in each other and Alicia’s silk sheets, Astrid with her head curled up against Nathaniel’s shoulder, still a little shocked by what had just happened.
“What was that about the King?” she asked with a giggle.
Nathaniel shushed her and planted a kiss on the crown of her head.
Astrid looked up at him, his eyes half-closed from sleep. Tears pricked at her own eyes, but she wasn’t sad.
“I hope you know,” she whispered, “that I’ve loved you since the first day I met you.”
His arm tightened around her, drew her close. “I know,” he said. “I think I’ve always known. And I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be.” She nestled closer into him, wrapping her ankle around his. “You’re here now.”
The door was locked. The curtains were drawn. Alicia’s room had always been a haven. Astrid closed her eyes, and slept.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:07 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

The Barton Boys Meet A Dragon - 1863 words - Chapter Twenty-Two

Spoiler! :
Over rooftops and crumbling walls, the Barton boys slipped and slid their way to safety, not stopping until they reached one of the island's coasts, blackened stones making a wall against an unforgiving tide.
Ambrose's dark brow cast long shadows over his face as each of them lit a Gift light in his hands to warm them up. "We have to go back," he kept saying. "We can't leave her there. We have to go back for her."
Fred couldn't forget the sight of her either, how diminished she seemed, how vulnerable, the moon brought to earth and cracked in half. While half of his muscles twitched to go back and do whatever they could to save her, the other half of his body wanted nothing more than to put as much distance as possible between them and the soldiers.
The night deepend around them. "We should sleep," Lambert suggested. "And eat. And then we can decide what to do after that."
Fred didn't feel hungry, but he did feel cold, and his limbs were heavy. They opened the pack of supplies that Ambrose had been carrying and nibbled on hard biscuits and salted meat that they'd procured in the port on Ruskell. They lay down to sleep, and although it was cold and they were on this haunted island, Fred's exhaustion got the better of him and he slipped into the land of the unknowing. When he awoke, the night was pitch black still, but he was wide awake. He stirred Lambert. Ambrose still sat up, a Gift light nursed in his hands, red and grey and angry.
"How long did I sleep?" Fred asked.
"Only a couple of hours," Ambrose said.
Lambert sat up and they were quiet for a long time, until Lambert eventually said, "I think we can all agree that we need to help the princess. The question is how."
"We go back and use our Gift to kill all those soldiers," said Ambrose. "They're traitors. Treasonous. It would be justified."
Fred shook his head. "She would have done it already. Haven't you heard the rumours? She's supposed to be the most Gifted person of our generation. Even my great-aunt says so."
"Then how did they capture her?" Amrbrose asked. "Maybe she's just scared. And maybe she can help us, maybe she'll have more courage once she knows she has allies and a way off of the island."
"Unless," Lambert said slowly, as if he wasn't yet sure of the rest of the sentence. "Unless they have something else holding her here. Leverage."
"Either way," Fred said. "We can't just leave her here."
"No," Lambert agreed.
"Absolutely not," said Ambrose.
They were each devoted to their own thoughts. "We need to go back there," Lambert said with a shrug. "Even just to get a better look at them, see if there's any other prisoners."
Neither Fred nor Ambrose had a better idea. They should have been too hungry, too tired, too cold, but there was a fire inside of him, sparked by the sight of the Crown Princess. Hearting the news of her disappearance just a week ago seemed like a century before this moment.
They started the long walk back into the heart of the city, its jagged teeth closing in around them. Fred couldn't decide if he felt better or worse in the dark, until he saw the lights of the soldiers' camp flickering up ahead and decided it was worse, much worse.
Stuck to the side of the building, they watched the soldiers. Fred took stock of the tents, small ones where the soldiers slept, a larger one flying the Wilde colours, presumably the captain's. To one side stood two larger tents, much larger. The princess had come out of one of those - so why were there two? Unless there were more prisoners.
He pointed them out to the others. "We should try and get in there, see who else they're hiding."
Ambrose snorted. "Great idea, Pillory. And how do you suggest we do that?"
It didn't seem impossible, the perimeter of the camp was not well guarded. After all, Havadras was an abandoned city, all of its citizens burnt to a crisp a thousand years ago. They had no reason to expect intruders, even the entrance to the camp wasn't guarded. The guards were just here to make sure that their prisoners didn't escape. A dusting of fear lay on Fre'ds skin like ash: who else was in those tents?
There was a noise like a crack of thunder behind them. Fred plastered himself to the wall, thinking that someone was coming. He glanced behind them, and clapped a hand to his mouth to muffle the scream.
With heavy wingflaps, a dragon approached from overhead.
A real, honest dragon, black and red, smoke and fire made solid. And grasped in its talons, was Edward Cheslin.
Ambrose swore loudly, too loudly, but the camp was in too much disarray to notice as the dragon dropped Cheslin on the ground, his body rolling like a ragdoll.
Cheslin was thirteen, a first year at Barton's. Fred didn't know much about him except that he seemed like a snot who liked to brag about doing the Gift run faster than anyone else. The only other thing that Fred knew was that he was not supposed to be here. He was meant to be back at Barton's.
The dragon wings flapped and tent strings burst out of the ground, men diving for cover. Fred stared in astonishment, but something tapped on the back of his skull, reminding him that this was not just the most impossible thing he had ever seen, it might be his only opportunity. He glanced at Lambert and Ambrose, both still dragonstruck. He took his chance, and dived into the fray.
He heard Lambert shout, and bent lower to the ground, moving through the hubbub, no one noticing him, too transfixed by the dragon, or their own feet as they tried to find their own cover. Fred crashed ahead, heading for the dark shape in the left corner of his vision, the prisoner tents. He would get in there and he would be safe. He was in a constant state of half-falling over the uneven ground, but he didn't care, plowing ahead until he saw the tent flap and pushed himself inside. He fell, sprawled on the ground.
The inside of the tent was very dark, and it smelt terrible. He looked up and saw a gaggle of people at its far end, peering at him from a distance. He scanned their heads, seeking the princess, but he couldn't spot her.
Something orange approached him. "Are you alright?"
It was a boy about his age, or maybe a little older, his face a galaxy of freckles, but gaunt and drawn in the dark. There were ropes around his hands. Another prisoner.
"Where's the princess?" Fred asked, eyes still darting around.
"She went next door to check on the little ones," said the boy. "Who are you?"
"Fred PIllory. I want to help. We need to get you all out of here." He struggled to sit up. "What do you mean the 'little ones'?" he asked.
The boy jerked his head. "Next door. There's a tent full of children from the city. I don't know why they're here, I mean we're all," he glanced around at the small group, still shying away from Fred, "we're all noble-born. I don't know why the others are here. I'm Charlie, by the way, Charlie Ribbon."
Fred nodded, recognising the name if not the face. "How do we get you out of here?"
Charlie shook his head. "You can't. Not now. It's the dragon. It's the Queen." His eyes suddenly widened. "If you want to help Liss, you need to get a message to the palace. You need to tell them not to let the rest of Parliament sign the Treaty, not until this is sorted out."
"What-" Fred started, but Charlie interrupted him.
"I'm sorry, I would explain, but we don't have a lot of time. There's birds outside that fly to the palace. Tell them to stop the Treaty signing."
"Tell who-"
Charlie chewed his lip. "Astrid," he insisted. "Do you know Astrid Race?"
"I know the name."
"Then she'll know yours. We can trust her, she'd do anything for Liss. You need to tell her, and fast. She needs to be able to stop it."
"But why?"
Charlie was lifting him to his feet. "Go on, before they catch you."
Fred paused and they appraised each other, two boys who in another life could have been friends, best friends, brothers. Charlie gave a stiff nod. "Tell her... that she needs to do a great deed."
Then Fred stumbled backwards, into the cold night.
The hubbub in the camp was calming down, he didn't have much time. Right outside the captain's tent, the pigeon sat with a hood on, a tether around its leg. Fred snuck over a,d with a tiny sharp blast of Gift, severed the rope. He pulled his scarf off around his head and wrapped the bird in it, then ran as fast as he could back to where the others were.
Ambrose looked ready to punch him, but there wasn't time, Fred beckoned them both around the back of a building, feet slapping too loudly against the shattered cobblestones.
"What is it?" Ambrose hissed, when they thought they were at a safe distance. "Did you see the princess?"
Fred shook his head. "No. But I saw someone else. And I... stole a bird."
They both blinked. "Alright," said Lambert, a little too politely.
"We have to get a message to the palace, as soon as we can. Do we have a pen and paper on the boat?"
"We'll dig one out of somewhere," Lambert said. "Come on."
He filled them in on the way. Dawn was now breaking over the city. The dragon had vanished into the sky again, presumably off to get another victim.
They climbed back into their boat, and Fred sighed, feeling content at no longer being on the cursed ground of Havadras, and dug through its contents. Indeed, hidden among the fishing stores was a pencil and a notebook for inventory. "Who are we writing to?" Ambrose asked.
"Astrid Race."
"We don't even know her."
"Doesn't matter. We have to trust her."
Lambert sighed. "I really hope that this Charlie character isn't a fool."
"Me too," Fred said. They ripped off the corner of the page and curled it into the holder pinned to the pigeon's leg. As soon as its hood was off, the pigeon took flight to find its mate in the palace. Fred whispered a prayer to the Goddess that it wouldn't be intercepted.
Ambrose put his thoughts into words. "I hope that that bird doesn't get eaten by a dragon."
"I hope none of us get eaten by dragons," Lambert replied.
It vanished into the clouds, and a crippling, heavy exhaustion fell onto Fred's shoulders. They curled up among the sacks and nets, and slept.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Finally here <3 sorry it's taken so long.

OMG though. I actually wept at Chapter 21. I mean, hot damn, but still *insert the crazy crying emoji here*

So despite how much I like them, it's very unfair to the Barton boys and the dragon that I read their chapter right after xD But oh my goodness, things are happening and fast :ooo Charlie <3 poor him, he is a little bit of fool despite Lambert's wishes, but only in the best way possible.

Also, Laurel is actually great. I loved how she tricked the judge into talking and - OMG BY THE WAY, THE JUDGE. I was so :OOO when he said what he said. How dare they talk of executing the hottest piece of blond hotness to graze the earth of Samina (I'm sorry, I do sometimes get a bit mixed up with the names for places - this happens with my own story too - but I do hope that I remember right that Samina is the name of the country?? you should draw a map of all the pretty place names - anyway you get the point that was that Nathaniel is a dish)

Clearly, Unruly continues to make me incapable of eloquent speech. Which is only a good thing.

Also when can we have that thing I glimpsed at in the pad the other day >.>

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Thank you so much <3333

This week is Chapter 23 - 2206 words! As requested, it's what was glimpsed in the pad the other day >.>

Spoiler! :

This had been a beautiful, disastrous, treacherous thing.
Every inch of Astrid's skin ached with longing as she extricated herself from Nathaniel's arms, the sun peeking through the heavy velvet curtains. She tried to ignore him, to forget everything that happened, as she picked up her shift and her petticoat, as she stepped into her dress and started on her laces, as she found her stockings and shoes. But anytime she didn't look at him, she had to look at the room, and everything about the room screamed Alicia, screamed betrayal. That was worse. Instead, she turned her gaze back to him and, for a moment, she didn't regret a thing; there he was, so angelic, so peaceful, so handsome that her heart would break if she continued to look. She knew that once he was awake he would become imperfect, but she also knew that she wouldn't love him any less, and nothing would change about what a wicked thing it was that she had done.
She needed a hairbrush.
The silver backed brush on Alicia's vanity table beckoned to her with its gleam. She went over and started dragging the brush through passion-tangled knots, trying to not let a smile cross her lips at the thought. Astrid wasn't allowed to smile. She was never allowed to smile ever again.
Something caught her eye, a chink of pale wood in one of Alicia's jewellery boxes, something about its plainness speaking to her through the sparkle and gleam of the other pieces. She reached a hand in, and tugged it out.
No, she thought, tracing the spiral gouged deep into the wood. No. She'd left it on the tree.
Then it struck her, this wasn't her friendship charm. Two for the price of one, he'd said. And so it had been. A matched pair forever.
Astrid assumed that Alicia had lost hers long ago, but here it was, packed away carefully like it was honestly a treasure.
She burst into tears.
That woke Nathaniel up, and she cursed, because she didn't mean to do that. She wiped her tears, and saw in the clouded mirror as he sat up, rubbing sleep out of his eyes, pushing back his curls.
"Astrid!" he said, seeing her crying. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing." She sniffed, pulled a sleeve across her face. "I'm fine. Really." She went over to him, and planted a kiss on his cheek - rough with stubble, warm, flat with a muscle jumping inside of it. How long had she wished she could do that?
"You shouldn't be crying," he said with a frown. "Are you regretting things?"
She frowned, then shook her head. "No. I just..." She sat beside him on the blue-and-silver covers, and sighed heavily at the room, the four poster bed, the spilt hairpins, the clawed bathtub in the next room. She knew the seasons courtyards could be seen from Alicia's window too, the magnolia tree. Her thumb rubbed over the spiral again. "I miss her," she told Nathaniel.
"Me too."
They sat side by side like that, like orphaned children, for a long time. His hand found hers, and gripped it tight. "But I'm still glad," he said, and she swivelled her gaze to him. "I'm still glad that even for all that bad, we've found each other out of it. Really." His blue eyes were grave. "I don't want you to think that I was just trying to replace her, or make up for her, or be close to her. That's not what this was. And even when Alicia comes back..." He rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand in careful circles. "I don't know what I'll do. But it won't be the same. I promise you that."
It was a thin thing, that promise, but Astrid took it. She reached across the void, and planted a kiss on his lips, and it was sweet.
He smiled against her. "You taste like summer," he said. "I always knew you would."
But before she could ask what that meant, there was a knock on the door. They both jumped, and froze. Astrid drew breath, ready to use her Gift, ready to kill whoever it was that came to destroy their happiness.
"Astrid?"
It was Laurel Sigrid, and this time, Astrid was much less happy to hear that voice. The knock wasn't from the door to Alicia's room, but on the door to the pink room next door, the room where Astrid usually slept, which had an adjoining door to Alicia's room and where, supposedly, Astrid had slept last night. She put a finger to her lips as she crept across the floorboards and unlocked that door, hoping to meet Laurel at the threshold.
There was no such luck, Laurel bursting through the door in a flurry of pinkening cheeks and lilac flounces. She slammed the pink room door behind her, but before Astrid could try to block her, she looked straight through the adjoining door and saw Nathaniel, his bare shoulders quite visible, in Alicia's bed.
Astrid was too used to Antonia, too used to the 'Well' and a raised eyebrow. She knew that Laurel Sigrid could easily have a field day with this. But she didn't. She pursed her lips. "Put some clothes on and join us when you're ready, Sir Bolt," she said, then reached over and closed the door.
Astrid opened her mouth to speak.
"I have nothing if I don't have discretion," was all Laurel said. "Besides, we have other business. Thank God it was Harry collecting the post, he saw this and brought it to me, instead of the Queen."
It was a tiny, weatherbeaten scroll of paper from a bird. 'Astrid Race' was written on it, in shaky, unfamiliar writing. No 'Duchess' or further address.
"Do you know who it's from?"
"Open it."
She unfurled the scroll.
Dear Astrid,
You don't know me, but I have found Princess Alicia and Charlie Ribbon, with other prisoners, on Havadras. The Queen is behind it. I am trying to rescue them, but need help.
You need to stop the Treaty signing tonight. Charlie asks you to do something great.
Please trust me.
Fred Pillory.
Her heart stopped.
Then it went a million times faster than it ever had. Her hands began to tremble so hard that she dropped the scroll. Laurel stooped to pick it up, and Nathaniel came through the door, but Astrid suddenly felt like she was elsewhere. She was there, on Havadras. With Alicia. And the Queen was behind it.
Of course she was.
Laurel was handing the scroll to Nathaniel, dumbfounded.
"Fred Pillory?" Astrid asked Laurel. "Do you know him?
Laurel nodded. "Well enough to know I would trust him."
Astrid began to shake her head. "It's too convenient - his mother has been trying to block the Treaty for months-"
"Only because my father was blackmailing her," Laurel said, chewing her lip. "Or so I heard, I mean, I'm not exactly privy to such matters. But I wouldn't put it past him."
Astrid blinked.
"We appreciate the candour all the same," Nathaniel said when Astrid had no words.
Laurel's own hands were shaking now. "Astrid, I can't. I..." She glanced around the room. "I've come too far already - if the Queen were to find out-"
"Don't worry. This note was addressed to me. It's my duty to bear, not yours." Astrid's words were much braver than she felt, but she saw the tension release in Laurel's shoulders. "If you can do anything to help keep Nathaniel hidden today, that's more than enough."
She nodded. "That, I can do."
"But where are you going?" Nathaniel asked her, grabbing her arm as she began to move around and get ready to leave.
"Laurel's right, she can't help much more. But that doesn't mean we don't need help. And there's only one place we're going to get that."
She had allies to rally, and a war to rage.
She had a ball to get to.
--

Through every window of the palace, the sky was dark grey and low, threatening. As soon as she stepped outside, her suspicions were confirmed: the air was thick and gasping for a storm.
The new ballroom, a recent addition to the palace, lay at the back of the four season courtyards. There were busy workmen there already, erecting trestle tables, fixing new candles into the chandeliers. The biggest chandelier of all, the one that sat in the centre of the ballroom, had been lowered to the floor in all its glittering crystal might, as four men reached across to put a candle in every single one of its sconces. The Treaty Ball tonight was to be a night to remember, one way or the other.
By the time she crossed the lake, the rain had started in thick, hard drops, slicing her face like icicles. She pulled her hood up. Nobody gave her a second glance - with the Treaty signing there was a sudden influx of new nobles into the palace and Cadoras in general. They were only on the lookout for Nathaniel Bolt, and Astrid did not fit his description.
The rain got heavier with every minute, and the city shone slick with it as she made the now well-worn trip to the Avery Townhouse, every window bright with candlelight. Astrid looked a state, she knew, soaked through and muddy. She was suddenly jealous of Nathaniel’s bathwater the night before.
(His body had been so clean and his skin so surprisingly soft against hers as he pulled the sheets over them and slipped his hand up along her thigh under her shift).
She knocked on the door and was let in by a footman who was clearly too horrified by her appearance to speak. Astrid just walked in.
“Astrid!” Sylvia and the other Second Years were on the stairs, and her eyes were even bigger than normal. “Where have you been?”
Astrid put a finger on her lips and crouched down to Sylvia’s level. “Sylvie, listen to me. There’s trouble in the city. I can’t tell you exactly what but…” She glanced around to make sure there were no staff around. “If there’s trouble, you girls need to stick together, alright? And stay away from the palace.”
Sylvia opened her mouth to ask a hundred questions, but Astrid stood up and went upstairs before she could.
“So if gin is made from juniper berries… what is brandy made out of?” She could hear Setter asking.
“Brandy is made from wine,” Antonia said.
“That sounds like a lie,” Setter said.
“It isn’t,” Astrid said, and they all sat up and looked around at her. “It’s wine fermented again.”
“You’re alive!” Genevieve said, jumping to her feet and hugging her. “What happened? You didn’t make it back last night.”
“Complications,” Astrid replied, trying not to blush. (He had kissed a line from the hollow of her throat along her breastbone to her navel, then down, down down…) She could already feel Antonia’s eyes narrowing. “I’m here now though. And we need to talk.”
She showed them the message.
"For the first letter you've ever gotten from a boy, it could be worse," said Antonia.
"So Charlie and Liss are alive?" Genevieve asked, breathless. "On Havadras?"
"So he says. I don't know if I trust him but... 'do something great'. That's from a private conversation Charlie and I had. He couldn't know that unless Charlie already trusted him."
"But why the Treaty signing?" Antonia asked. "Doesn't it seem convenient that he's now asking you to stop the Treaty his mother spent so long blocking?"
"Laurel just admitted that that was the Sigrids blackmailing her," Astrid said, and when three pairs of eyes bulged out of their sockets at her, she added, with a grin, "Oh, and Laurel and I are friends now, I suppose."
Genevieve shook her head. "The world is coming to an end," she muttered.
"As far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter," said Setter. "He thinks that the Queen is behind it, and he thinks that things will get worse if they sign the Treaty. If we choose to trust him, then we just have to do as he says."
In the abandoned attic, hung with sheets and covered in discarded clothes and bits of paper, the four of them glanced at each other, trying to decide if they were ready to trust this boy they'd never met, on a distant island, over nothing but a few words on a scrap of paper.
The words cracked out of Astrid's lips before she had finished thinking them. "I'll do anything for Liss."
"Me too," said Genevieve.
"And me," said Setter.
Antonia sighed. "And me. So what do we do about Anneliese?"
Astrid shook her head. "We don't do anything about her. I'll handle her myself." Antonia opened her mouth to protest, but Astrid held up a hand. "I didn't tell you all this, bu Lady Fairview taught me something special to use in a duel. It makes me the best duellist here - no, Toni, it does. And I need to use it. She taught me for a reason."
"So then what do we do, just watch?"
"Protect the King. Get him out of there if that's what needs to happen. Leave the Queen to me."

878 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:08 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Aaah <333 Everything about this is perfection. Astrid is such a badass.

And that scene in Alicia's bedroom. I absolutely loved the on-the-nose cruelty of NOT ONLY Alicia's hairbrush BUT ALSO her friendship charm xD You must have had so much fun >.> But it was perfect. Just perfect.

I'm eager but terrified to find out what happens when the others hear about her and Nathaniel... I loved Laurel's reaction though. I'm so glad Astrid is giving her a chance! She's definitely become one of my favourite characters!

NOW GO AND STOP THE QUEEN, ASTRID!!!

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:24 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

This chapter took me all week I'm so happy to have it done <3

Chapter 27 - the Barton Boys - 2685 words.

Spoiler! :

The Barton boys took shelter in one of the shells of houses near the cove where the boat was docked. The wind howled through the broken roof at night, but at least they were safe and hidden from the soldiers. Twice more, they returned to the camp, but there was never another sign of the princess, or of Charlie Ribbon, or of any of the other prisoners. Nor was there a distraction that allowed them to sneak into the tents again. Instead, they sat, and waited, feeling listless and useless.
"We're meant to be helping Her Royal Highness," said Ambrose. "We aren't helping anyone sitting in this house, eating the last of our food."
"I know," Fred said, "but what do we do next?"
None of them had a satisfactory response. Their way back to Barton's was shut, that much was clear. The boys could go home, to the islands, but that would leave Fred alone on his onward journey onto the mainland. And now that they had seen the extents to which the Queen was going, Fred didn't feel safe at the thought. He would prefer that the others left him, went on their own way. But he knew that they wouldn't agree to it. Their loyalty warmed him up in the cold, barren Havadras night.
Then, all of a sudden one evening, out of the dark, came drumbeats. Fred felt them in his stomach, in the soles of his feet. Then, echoing through the skeleton ruins of Havadras, came chants, whoops, screams. It was like the wildest nights at Barton's, when the boys would light a Gift fire at the edge of campus, drinking rum and whiskey and mocking the stars, but a thousand times worse.
He had never heard the drums before, but he knew in his soul what they were, what they meant.
"War," Ambrose supplied, staring at the wall, listening, the colour drained from his face.
There were marching boots, synchronised like they were trying to sink Havadras. The boys took turns peering through a crevice in the wall to see what was on the other side. The soldiers, packs on their shoulders, pack horses being dragged on ropes behind them with the excess, and in the centre, flanked on all sides, were the prisoners. Each of them had a bag over their heads, their arms bound in front of them. The princess, even though she was ragged, even though she was starved, was still recognisable, her svelte figure and proud holding setting her apart. He couldn't recognise any of the others, not Cheslin, not Ribbon.
"Now?" Lambert asked.
But there were too many soldiers, too many swords, not enough time to plan an attack. Fred's heart hammered in his chest. It felt like the drums were beating him down, keeping him quiet, making sure that he wouldn't approach.
The soldiers marched them all down to the ship. The Barton boys crept outside of the house, waiting and watching as the ship hauled anchor and caught the wind, and left the island.
"We've failed her," Ambrose said. "We should have gone."
"No," Fred replied. "We know now that they're taking her somewhere. They need her alive and well. And we know something else." He took a deep breath. "Whatever we said to Astrid Race, she did something. Somehow or other, she's started a war."
"We don't know it was her," Lambert said.
Except that Fred did know. He couldn't explain why, but he simply knew.
"Do we follow them?" Ambrose asked.
"Once they're at a safe distance," Fred replied. "And it looks like we're just a wayward fishing vessel. They can't see us leaving Havadras."
They tripped over rocks and stumbled their way back down to the cove, reaching their fishing boat where it was moored out of sight. Lambert and Fred waited on the deck, but Ambrose pulled off his shoes and shirt, muscles on his back rippling as he dove into the water and swum to the next outcrop of rocks to watch the ship sail away. He sat, glistening, like a mermaid drying her hair in the sun. A part of Fred wanted to jump into the water as well - murky and dark as it was. But as he considered it, a shadow went across the sun.
The dragon swooped and glided, totally ignoring the Barton boys, catching up with the soldiers' ship. There might have been another prisoner in its talons, Fred wasn't sure. Maybe it was just guarding the ship, as in tandem, they glimmered their way over the horizon and out of sight.

--

When they finally thought the soldiers were gone, they unfurled the sails, boosted their take off with Gift. Even as the sparks flew from his fingers, Fred panicked that somehow he was giving power to the dead and departed dragons. Or not so dead and departed, as it seemed.
They caught the wind, and Fred felt a little thrill at the prospect of being on open water again.
"I can't believe there's a dragon," Lambert said, for maybe the fiftieth or sixtieth time.
Ambrose draped himself across the deck, hang flung across his face against the sun.
"I see you're committed to keeping this ship afloat, Gradua," Fed remarked.
"How do you kill a dragon anyway?" Ambrose asked.
"Do you think that that's our problem?" Lambert asked. "It seems like it should be somebody else's problem."
"If we want to rescue the princess, it feels like it's our problem," Fred said.
"Exactly, so how do you kill one?"
"Well, you can't, can you?" Lambert said. "It's not a real dragon, someone's conjuring it."
"Do we think that's the Queen?" Ambrose asked.
"Definitely," Lambert and Fred said in unison.
"So do we kill her?" Ambrose asked.
"Most of the time, before dragon magic was banned, that's what happened," Fred explained. "Either the conflict was resolved, or the person conjuring the dragon was killed. And the dragon went away. But there are records of dragons - particularly strong ones, connected to big contracts, going, well, going a bit rogue.”
“A bit rogue," Ambrose repeated.
“A bit rogue, yes,” said Fred.
“And if a dragon is to go, as you say, a bit rogue, how does one then slay said rogue dragon?” Ambrose asked.
“With difficulty,” Fred said. “It's unclear, honestly. A dragon as they are these days exists entirely of magic, and you can't kill magic. Or maybe you can. It's never really been a hard of fast rule. Most of them are stories you know - Sir Edmund Race and the slaying of the last dragon, don’t you remember? He managed to shoot it down with a longbow and then chopped its head off.”
There was a long pause. Fred glanced up to their sails, now thankfully full with a favourable wind, and chewed the inside of his cheek.
“Maybe it really isn’t our problem then.”

There was a storm on the southern horizon that Fred watched tentatively as they sailed, but thankfully it never came towards them. He thanked God and Goddess that they had been spared Samina’s autumn storms - their stolen ship was seaworthy, for sure, but he couldn’t say beyond that.
They didn’t have any telescopes or eye pieces, he squinted uselessly eastward in the hopes that he might see the Queen’s men (or indeed, the dragon) and guess where they were docking, but there was no sign of them.
"So if the Queen conjured the dragon, then I suppose that our best bet is to kill the Queen," Ambrose said, nonchalantly leaning against the mast, white shirtsleeves rolled up, face tipped to the sky.
“Well, we certainly can’t do that,” said Lambert.
“Why not?” Fred asked. “If it’s to save the heir to the throne, why not?”
“I think it’s still technically treason.” Lambert squinted in concentration (or maybe there was just seaspray in his eyes).
“What if the King is in danger as well?” Fred asked.
“Then he has better men than us looking after him,” Ambrose said. “I don’t know. Maybe we should have just stayed on the island. This plan is becoming less and less of a plan and more and more of a ludicrous death wish by the second.”
Fred was beginning to think so too. But two things stopped him from agreeing. The first was the thought of the princess, the humiliation of her hair being cut off, how regal she had looked, how like a queen he should like to spend his life serving.
The second was the thought of his mother. He didn’t know where she was now, didn’t know if she was facing consequences for signing the Treaty, or if she had already faced them. And she didn’t know if he was safe either. He had to find her, they had to be together.

They docked in Warehaven. Fred felt a little giddy at the sight of the colourful painted houses hushing up against the shore, the docks bright with fish, the sounds of the market echoing towards them. He wanted to be back here, but with his mother, taking walks on the beach barefoot, arguing over the price of mussels just for the fun of it, giving coins to the musicians in the square where the fountain gurgled in time to the music. There was no time for that today. He was home, and he couldn't stay.
It was a hive of activity today, more so than Fred remembered it being usually. Ambrose brought them in as quietly as he could, they jumped onto the dock and milled with the crowd as quickly as possible, just in case anyone happened to recgonise the missing vessel.
But no one seemed to care. As they approached the harbour gates, they saw that there were two guards and a desk blocking the way into the town, signing everybody through. A crowd had gathered, impatient and angry, waiting to be let through and back to their business. Fred glanced down the row of moored ships. It was hard to tell if the Queen's men were here, but there were none in the line, and certainly no princesses with sacks over their heads. More than likely, they had docked somewhere down the coast, away from any unwanted attention.
They joined the jostling queue. Fred saw his own unease reflected on the faces of the others as they moved towards the guards, and then Fred found himself at the front of the queue.
“Well boy?” The guard of the docks had yellow and brown teeth, as twisted around each other as tree roots. “Who are you declaring for, then? King or Queen?”
Fred just stared at him, and answered as honestly as he could. “For Princess Alicia.”
The guard did not take this well. He narrowed his eyes at them. “Can I see your landing papers please?”
They didn’t even pretend to look for them, they hadn’t had leaving or landing papers. Fred just continued to stare at him.
“No landing papers, get off our dock,” the man said. “We don’t want no trouble in Warehaven.”
“Trouble, sir?”
“All you islanders, coming because you think there’s going to be a bit of a royal punch-up and you want some action.” He looked the boys up and down. “Ever actually held a sword, any of you?”
Fred opened his mouth to argue that he wasn't an islander, that he would be the Duke of Warehaven someday, but before he could say anything, a voice interrupted. A deep voice. Comforting. Familiar.
"If you don't mind, Gerald, these boys are my responsibility."
Fred glanced at the man, tall, broad, with a bushy beard the same shade of brown as Fred’s hair. His lips were pursed as he surveyed the three of them.
The dock master smirked. “As you were then, boys. I’m sure Lady Pillory’s staff will take good care of you.”
They were let through. Ambrose was staring at him with a question writ large on his face, but Lambert seemed to have already figured things out. It didn't take a genius.
"Who is that?" Ambrose hissed.
"Westley Chadwick," Fred said, "My mother's estate manager."
Fred had been subject to rumours his entire life. In a place like Barton's where pregnancy and childbirth were mysteries, they were soft and insubstantial. Most people wanted to give kind and gentle Calliope Pillory the benefit of the doubt. The arrival of her firstborn so soon after her nuptials to a much older man could just be a mysterious womanly miracle. If there were any way to prove it, Fred would have gone from Barton Boy to Barton Bastard in the blink of an eye. The rumours were what had driven Lord Sigrid and the rest, given life to their blackmail, but even if they had gone to the King, all they had were vague timelines - nineteen year old Calliope Pillory married a sick, old man. Two months later he died. And another two months later, she gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby.
Nobody in Warehaven talked about it. Talk was dangerous. But Fred wasn't the only one who noticed Westley in the house at odd times at the night. Fred wasn't the only one who heard his mother laughing too hard at breakfast with her estate manager.
And Fred wasn’t the only one who knew that the person who taught him to ride was Westley, the person who read him bedtime stories was Westley, the person who patched up his bloody knees and wiped his tears, the person who taught him stupid songs, and, yes, the person who had given him all that thick brown hair, was Westley.
It didn’t take a genius.
“We can trust him,” Fred told Ambrose, and they had gotten far enough away from the docks for Westley to decide that now was the moment for his tirade.
"What are you doing here?" he hissed. "I thought you were safe on Barton's - do you have any idea what's happening on the mainland? What your mother has gone through to keep you safe?"
"I know," Fred said. "That's why we came. It's my turn to keep her safe. Do you know where she is?"
Westley's shoulders dropped. He took a few steps back. His eyes were wild and sorrowful and frightened.
"I haven't heard from her in weeks. But I have an idea of where she is. The Queen is building an army of the Gifted to use against the King."
Fred bit his lip. "Where is the battle?"
"No, you're going to stay right here-"
"I'm not," Fred said with a shrug. "I'm sorry. It's not just Mother." He glanced from side to side, Lambert and Ambrose flanking him, so mismatched except for the identical resolve in their eyes. "We have something else we need to do."
"Someone else we need to save," Ambrose added.
Westley looked them both over, and turned his attention back to Fred. There was so much unspoken between them, but standing on the busy Warehaven street was not the time.
"They say the King has gone to Summerhouse. Where the Queen is, I cannot say."
Fred bowed his thanks. "We need horses."
"I should come with you-"
Fred shook his head. "You need to stay here. With both me and Mother gone... someone needs to be here for Warehaven. Until I can bring her home," he managed to add, without his voice breaking.
Westley nodded. "Horses, I can do. Come back to the house, we'll make your preparations." He sniffed. "And maybe draw you all a bath. You smell like you've been in an oven for a week."
The Barton boys caught each others' eyes, then felt the laughter overtake them, doubling them over, bruising their ribs with the force of it. Had they really been to Havadras? Had they really seen a princess mutilated, sent a bird to the capital and precipitated this war? Had they really seen a dragon?
Was Fred finally home, and was he really not staying?
"That's closer to the truth than you think," was all he said.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Chapter 28 - Astrid wakes up in Summerhouse - 3169 words

Spoiler! :

There was a cloud holding Astrid while she slept, gentle and kind, enveloping her limbs, its brightness kissing her eyelids. Everything was soft and quiet and light and she felt like she could sleep here forever, happily. Nothing hurt.
For a long time she thought about staying asleep, staying here in the peace of the cloud, where nothing could touch her, nothing surprising or shocking could happen. But even as she thought about it, an ache grew in her body. She shifted, and a new ache grew somewhere else. No matter where she was in the bed, something hurt.
A bed. That's what the cloud was. She stretched her fingerips, felt the fine grain of sheets. recognised the softeness as pillows. She wondered whose bed it was, where it was.
The light was growing so bright that it was hurting her closed eyes. She wanted to know where it was coming from. Slowly, she opened her eyes.
It was a fine, white room, with high corniced ceilings finished in gilt. The bed was piled high with pillows and eiderdowns, all spotlessly white. Gauzy white curtains fluttering, masking the window as just a square of light from beyond. There was a divine breeze, birdsong.
Something rustled, and Astrid realised she was not alone in the room. Testing her neck next, she turned her head to see who it was.
"Good morning, my dear." Lady Fairview had an ancient rocking chair positioned by Astrid's bed, an embroidery hoop in her knotted, arthritic hands. "It's good to finally see you awake."
Astrid couldn't quite work out what was going on. She didn't remember coming here, but dread was clenching her stomach. She had done something bad. Something unforgivable. Something monstrous was coming.
The events of the ballroom came rushing back to her in a dizzying explosion of colour and smell and noise and pain. She blinked it away, it wasn’t there anymore. She was here, in this fluffy bed, the curtains moving gently, a vase of freshly-cut flowers by her bedside.
“What time is it?” she murmured.
“About eleven o’clock in the morning.”
“I haven’t been asleep that long, then.”
“Longer than you might think,” Lady Fairview said, pulling a blue thread through the white cotton. “It’s also Tuesday.”
“What?” Astrid struggled to sit up.
“You were - lie down - you were barely conscious when you arrived at my door. I called the physician and we both agreed it would be better for you to have some opium and sleep while the worst of your injuries healed, knowing full well you would insist on getting up and moving around - like you are trying to do right now.”
The reprieve in Lady Fairview’s voice was the only convincing Astrid needed to stop fighting against the surprisingly heavy covers of the bed. She lay back. “I don’t feel in too much pain. Just weak and tired.”
“Yes, the opium took care of that as well,” Lady Fairview said. “But under no circumstances does that mean you are alright.” She set her embroidery down and leant forward to lock her intense blue eyes onto Astrid’s own. “Astrid, do you have any idea what you’ve done?”
Astrid looked away from her.
“You have broken at least two ribs, probably more. You have broken your right arm in at least two places, probably more. You have a gash reaching across your back from your left hip all the way to your right shoulder from where a ceiling beam hit you, not to mention the thousand other cuts on your back, your face, your arms from the glass of that chandelier. You could have broken your legs. You could have broken your back, and Goddess above, you rode here in a cart of horse dung so it is only by divine grace that you haven’t yet developed a fever.”
“I suppose you think I’m completely stupid,” Astrid said softly.
“On the contrary.”
Astrid felt Lady Fairview’s cool hand against her own.
“I have never been more proud of you, Astrid.”
Astrid jerked her head around. The old lady was smiling. “I am glad that my tutelage went to such a worthy student. You have wreaked havoc, you have, perhaps, caused more chaos than you realise. But it was all intensely necessary.”
“But it didn’t save Alicia. Nothing I’ve done has saved Alicia. Just made things worse.”
Lady Fairview shook her head. “You are wrong there, my child. You have started the process of saving her.”
“What process?”
“All in good time. In the meantime, there might be some people here who want to see you.”
“Nathaniel? Rudy?” she croaked.
“Both are safe and sound - though I must say, I'm quite annoyed with you. That Rudy Black is a talent that the palace and you have both been hiding from me. I may offer him a job.”
“I’ve already claimed him as my head gardener,” Astrid said, closing her eyes and smiling.
“Hm, I’ll suppose we shall just have to see who gives him the better offer. But no, I was talking about your friends from Avery's Academy.“
Astrid nearly jumped out of bed there and then. “They’re here?”
“They are. When you’re a little stronger, I’ll send them into you.”
Astrid sank into the pillows in relief. “I’m glad,” she said. “I’m glad they’re safe.”
Lady Fairview hovered at the threshold. “And I’m glad you’re safe, Astrid,” she said. She sounded almost sad. “Now rest.”

“Ast?”
A hand touched her shoulder gently.
She opened her eyes to see Setter’s huge green eyes smiling back at her. “Well, hello. How are you feeling?”
Astrid tried to prop herself up. Setter put a hand behind her back and helped. “Groggy,” Astrid said, having searched for the word. “Whatever they’re giving me, it’s…” She shook her head, trying to rid herself of the fogginess left behind by the opium.
“Well look who decided to wake up,” Antonia said, from the bottom of the bed, where she was lying on top of Astrid's feet. “Gen! Get in here - she’s awake.”
The girls were both wearing roughspun dresses, Astrid noticed - they must be borrowed. They had bags under their eyes. Antonia’s curls were losing their silkiness, they were frizzy and she had them pinned back tightly.
Genevieve wandered into the room holding something in an enormous frame that she had presumably stolen from Lady Fairview’s wall. “Look at this,” she said. “It’s one of the original copies of the Treaty! Astrid. Nice to see you awake.”
“When did you all arrive here?” Astrid asked. “What happened?”
The story was disjointed, told in parts by the other three. Astrid could remember up until she collapsed the ceiling. It didn't surprise her that pandemonium ensued thereafter. The rain was relentless and the island flooding. "I honestly thought the whole palace was about to sink into the lake," said Setter.
The girls did as they had planned though, and along with George and what other parts of the King's guard they could get together, they kept close to the King.
"Except there weren't any weapons allowed in the ballroom, so they weren't much good," said Genevieve. "Especially once the Queen's men pulled out their swords and some of the lords and ladies started to use their Gift. But we did our best to fight them off and we got the King off of the island."
They stopped in the Knights' Quarters to equip George in the armoury and to rally whatever other knights were there to the King's cause. Not all of them came.
"They said they were 'loyal to the Queen'," Antonia said with a snort. "Have you ever heard something so ridiculous?"
They got horses from the stables, talked their way through the gates, and made their way to Summerhouse.
"I was glad to have knights with us," Genevieve admitted. "I know that we're perfectly capable of fighting our own battles, but when it came to finding shelter for the King... I was glad they were there."
"How did you all know to come to Summerhouse?" Astrid said. She wasn't sure she had ever told them that her own plan was to come here, she had never even passed on Lady Fairview's advice that Summerhouse would always be a sanctuary to her.
"We didn't. It was His Majesty that told us to come here," said Antonia. "He said that if there was ever an attempt on the throne, his plan was always to come to Summerhouse."
Astrid bit her lip. "Is that such a good idea?" Summerhouse was a pleasure house, famed for its gardens, for being this beautiful pink marble house on top of an unguarded, unfenced hill. Lady Fairview let anyone from the village walk its paths, every traveller was welcomed (if she liked them). It was not a fortress, it was not even, in the most basic of senses, defensible.
"So we got here the day before yesterday, and we've just been waiting for you to wake up," said Genevieve.
"So what happenes now?" Astrid asked.
The unease in the glance that the girls shared did not go unnoticed by her.
"Don't you worry about that," Antonia said, with a wave of her hand. "Are you alright? Are you in any pain?"
Astrid shifted again, and realised that she was. But it wasn't the sharp, brittle pain of her broken bones, or the pinprick cuts on her back, just a dull ache in her stomach. A cripplingly familiar one. Struck with what it might be, she peeked below the covers and saw a red spot blossoming on her nightgown.
"It's just my monthlies," she said with a sigh. Only after she had let it out did she realise that it was a sigh of relief. There would be no unwanted consequences of Thursday night. She lay back on the pillows and felt the ghost of a smile on her face.
Antonia Daspire eyed her, her ability to smell scandal putting a frown on her face. "Astrid Race, you are not the sort of girl who sits back, knowing full well she's destroying her hostess's spotless white sheets."
"They're already stained," Astrid said. "My whole back is a spiderweb of cuts, I've been bleeding on these sheets for days. Gen, show me this Treaty."
The fine calligraphy, the roses around the edges, the gleaming Wilde family tree embossed on the vellum behind the letters. Astrid traced with her finger the names on the bottom of the Treaty, names she knew so well: Wilde, Ribbon, Rallstop, Jewelston. She touched where Edmund Race had signed in her name, one hundred and fifty years ago.
Wilde, Ribbon, Rallstop, Jewelston… the names seemed so familiar, the order like a rhythm.
Wilde, Ribbon, Rallstop, Jewelston.
Astrid thought one of her wounds must have come open, she felt a horrible swooping, all the blood leaving her brain.
“Alicia was taken first,” she said to herself. “Then Charlie. Then Vivienne. Then the Jewelston girl up north.”
“Yes, Ast,” Antonia said. “Why?”
Astrid jabbed the glass protecting the Treaty with her finger. “Look. The order. Goddess…”
Setter peered over her shoulder, and let out a little gasp. “That’s the order that each of the noble children were taken.”
“It’s the Treaty,” Genevieve said, grabbing it from Astrid. “The Treaty… was a dragon contract?”
“They were still legal,” Setter said.
“But we’ve never heard of that before. Surely we would have heard of that before,” Antonia said.
“Unless they didn’t know what they were signing,” Astrid said. “What if they didn’t know it was a dragon contract. What if Queen Margaret just used dragon ink, without telling anyone? As an extra precaution.”
“And what if only the royal family ever knew?” asked Genevieve. “That would mean Anneliese knew, but no one else.”
“And she had the strength to summon up a dragon,” Antonia said. “And when the King declared the old Treaty null, Alicia was taken first.”
“But Charlie wasn’t taken until nearly a week later, when the peers signed it,” Astrid said. “But the signing by all the lords and ladies was delayed at the ball because I…”
“Dropped a chandelier on yourself,” finished Antonia.
“Yes.”
Astrid closed her eyes. Here was the answer. This old piece of vellum, the six copies of the Treaty that had been signed, had been signed in dragon ink. She opened them again and tilted the glass. She imagined she could see a green sheen coming off of the ink.
This was where all the trouble had started, one hundred and fifty years ago. She touched Edmund Race’s name. He had been named for their most famous ancestor, Sir Edmund Race, who slayed a dragon even longer ago. Had this Edmund known that his penmanship could conjure another dragon, long after all Saminans assumed they were safe?
“But what’s the pattern?” Genevieve asked. “Alicia was heir to the throne, but Charlie wasn’t heir to anything. Why did they take him and not me?”
“Oldest?” Astrid suggested.
“But Marian Jewelston was only ten, and has older brothers and sisters,” Genevieve countered.
“Her siblings are all married, aren’t they?” Setter asked.
“Why does that matter?” asked Antonia.
“Because dragon magic mimics dragons, and dragons seek purity." She was met with blank faces from the other three. “Virgins,” she said with a shrug. “The oldest virgin in each family.”
Astrid felt like the bed was falling away below her. All vigour was stripped from her body, and she collapsed on the pillows, now as hard as bricks. A thick, soupy silence enveloped the group.
“Don’t worry, Astrid, there’s still a few names there before Edmund Race. You won’t be next or anything,” Setter said to reassure her.
Astrid clenched her eyes shut and shook her head. Her teeth ground against each other. “The dragon isn’t coming for me.”
“What are you talking about?” asked Genevieve.
“She’s talking,” Antonia said, “about what happened with Nathaniel the night before the ball. Aren’t you, Astrid?”
The Lady of Blue Wall missed nothing.
“What?” Genevieve asked. “You and Nat - you-”She seemed like she didn’t know whether to be horrified or gleeful.
Astrid nodded. She waited for someone to mention Alicia, but none of the did.
“Well, you’re safe then,” Setter said softly.
“I am. But Ceci isn’t.”
Ceci. Poor, innocent Ceci, who had never done a wrong deed in her fifteen years. Astrid used to want to dedicate her life to her sister, but then she left the Hazel Peninsula. Then she went to school. Then she met a princess and made herself a new life.
Then she slept with Nathaniel Bolt.
And she could be causing her little sister her life.
The falling sensation became overwhelming.
Astrid didn’t know if she vomited or fainted first.

When she came to, it was Lady Fairview back at her bedside.
“I knew that those girls would give you too much excitement,” she said, not looking up from her embroidery.
“Where are they?”
“Giving the information you found out about the dragon to the King, and I presume sitting in on the ensuing strategy meeting.”
“King? Strategy meeting?” Astrid tried to prop herself up on her elbows.
“Yes, yes. And I expect there shall be quite a bit of noise tonight and tomorrow, outside.”
“Why is that?”
“The rest of the King’s army is approaching, and will be defending Summerhouse against the Queen’s aggression.” Lady Fairview sighed. “I do hate it, I must say, the gardens will never be right again in my lifetime. But I suppose justice must be done.”
Astrid blinked. “Milady, what’s going on?”
“Bethany. And what is going on is what we spent the past several years trying to avoid in Parliament,” she said with a sigh. “But that woman just had to have it her way.” She met Astrid’s gaze. “The Queen holds the city. Those loyal to the King are marching to us now. Queen Anneliese will not be far behind. It’s civil war.”
“Will there really be a war?” Astrid asked. There had not been a war in Samina in her lifetime, nor her mother's, nor her grandfather's. It was a peaceful nation. It had been peaceful ever since… ever since the Treaty.
“I hope there will not. There may be a way to avoid it.” Lady Fairview patted Astrid’s leg through the covers. “But I don’t want you to worry about any of these things.”
“I’m not worried about it,” Astrid said, and strangely it was true. “I just want Alicia and Charlie home safe. And Ceci. I want Ceci to be safe too.”
“You are so full of goodness.” Lady Fairview gave her a sad smile. “We will do everything we can.”
She began to fold up her embroidery. “There are a few people who I believe want to see you. The Avery girls, of course. And Nathaniel Bolt. I suppose he can barely be apart from you these days.”
Astrid raised her eyebrows. Lady Fairview raised hers in response, as if to say, ‘I’m eighty-four, nothing surprises me anymore.’
“About time you two got around to it,” she said. “You’ve been dancing around for years. And the King wants to see you,” she added, as if the tangent had never happened. “But I will not let you go to him until the physician has given you permission.”
“The King? Why does the King want to see me?”
“Because what you did in that ballroom, Astrid, like it or not, has made you a very important player in this war.” Lady Fairview paused at the threshold of the room and sighed. “We’ll do everything we can to keep you safe.”
And she was gone.

When he came to her, he was back in full armour, his own armour, gleaming like it usually did. His hair was a mess, as if he had just taken off his helmet, and there were heavy bags under his eyes.
But his eyes glittered when they lit upon her.
“Hello,” Astrid said, with the best smile she could manage.
He half-ran to her bedside and fell to his knees, kissing her hand again and again. “You’re alright,” he kept repeating. “You’re alright, you’re alright, you’re alright.”
“Where did your armour come from?” was all she could think of to say.
Nathaniel cracked a grin. “George brought it for me. Amidst all the chaos of that night, he remembered that I didn’t have my own armour. How are you feeling?”
“Better for seeing you safe,” Astrid said. “Thank you for getting me out of the palace. I would certainly be dead without you.”
He leant his forehead against the back of her hand. “When I brought you here, I was worried you were never going to wake up.”
“Well that was silly.” She found his gauntleted hand with hers, and squeezed his fingers. “Of course I woke up. I had to see you again."
He smiled. It was like the sun coming up.
"Besides," she added, "I heard we still have a war to fight."

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

THIS CHAPTER WAS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE. It's terrible and nothing happens. But it's done. I'll worry about it next draft. I am sorry.

Chapter Twenty-Nine - Laurel's adventures in the camp - 2818 words

Spoiler! :

There was Summerhouse.
Laurel had never seen it. The wistful memories of sixty years of the Summerhouse Ball floated through the Queen's Gallery, and if Laurel shut her eyes she could taste them. She had sketched it countless times the way they described it; a vision of pink marble on top of a hill, like something made out of spun sugar. The hill, they would say, was cut into steps, each one a magnificent rainbow of flowers in every colour you could imagine. They said that the perfumes there were the closest thing to magic in the world. Ten lifetimes wouldn't allow you to appreciate each and every one.
Laurel's own invitations had started coming two years ago, like every other noble-born girl. But to say the Sigrids disliked Lady Fairview was an understatement, they despised the old woman. They equally despised the ball, for no matter how they tried, their own Winter Festival celebrations could never compare in the eyes of Saminan aristocrats. Besides, who would pay for Laurel to have a new dress for it, and who would let her ride in her carriage? Instead, the two days of the Summerhouse Ball were an oasis for her in the height of midsummer, when the serpent-tongued court left Dagarell Palace and Laurel was left blissfully alone.
And now she was here, and there it was, gleaming. The rain that had hounded them the whole way from the city had calmed to a fine drizzle. The last of the autumn sun was breaking through the clouds and there it was, sweet as sugar, a confection fresh from the oven. Never had Laurel so much wanted to press her way into a house, to explore its carpeted halls, drape herself on its velvet sofas, lean against the gilded doorways.
The hill was not, however, a rainbow of flowers. Instead of the famed gardens, there was a sea of red and white tents, soldiers mustered from the nearest duchies, awaiting the rest of their forces. They flew the same colours as the Queen's forces, the Wilde family colours, with the silver tree emblazoned on the flags. Neither Kind nor Queen was happy to relinquish this final privilege. If it came to war, Laurel wondered, what would happen? How would they know who was frend and who was foe?
She watched from the tent flap, intimidated by the soldiers outside. They were coarse and crude, and Laurel didn't much fancy meeting any of them. Scarred, old, ugly, weatherbeaten men, they suddenly made her penchant for footmen and stableboys seem so stupid and girlish. How could she claim to understand the common people, when surrounded by them, all she wanted was to escape to the manor house two armies away?
She let the tent flap fall and turned back to Seb, lying on his low cot, hand over his eyes as if he had a headache. Laurel had made a bedroll at the foot of the cot, her crossbow hidden among the folds of the blanket. She sat on it, crossing her legs under her skirt.
"Why has she brought us here, Seb?" she asked. "What are we doing here, except being a nuisance."
"I expect she just wanted to make sure I was on her side, and not my father's."
Laurel bit her lip. "Would you be on her side, given the choice?"
Seb was silent for a long time. Laurel inspected her nails
The soldiers were coarse and crude, and Laurel didn't much fancy meeting any of them. They were scarred, old, ugly, weatherbeaten. Suddenly her penchant for footmen and stableboys seemed so stupid and girlish - how could she think she understood common people, when here she was, surrounded by them, in the mud, and all she wanted to do was escape to the manor house?
"Why has she brought us here, Seb?" she asked him, letting the flap fall.
"Because my father's here."
"But why has she brought us?"
He sighed, closed his book, and rubbed his temples as if he had a headache. "I suspect so that my father couldn't have me."
"Then why bring me?"
He shrugged. "Extra leverage against your father? Have you seen him, by the way?"
"I'm trying not to." She sighed and sat down on her bedroll. She had made it at the foot of Seb's, her crossbow neatly tucked in the folds of her blanket. There were no guards outside the tent, and she didn't like that. With Alicia gone, if Seb was somehow killed, who would be next in line to the throne? Her sleep was fitful, every sound waking her up.
She lay her head against the hard edge of the cot. There was little comfort here, Seb in his own world, the clashing of armour and weapon and voices outside, and the fighting hadn't even started. Even the Queen and the courtiers who had come with her were inaccessible, hidden in round tents laden with flags. She was glad to be rid of the Queen, but even that familiarity was stripped of her.
She missed George. She missed his deep voice, his laugh like an earthquake. She missed how whenever she was upset, George would engulf her in one of his embraces, weapons and armour and all, and it still made her feel better.
She stood up, restless, and spotted their waterskins, dry as a bone. "I'm going to go and get us some more water," she told Seb. "Want to see if I can get us some food too?"
She didn't know if he was asleep or simply ignoring her, but the only response she got was his eyelids fluttering on his delicate cheekbones. Laurel suppressed her sigh, grabbed the waterskins and went outside.
Smoke from a nearby campfire seared her eyes, black and pungent. After the rain, nothing was dry enough for a good fire. She stepped around it, navigating her way to the rough-dug well. There was a queue. She watched as they hauled on the ropes, dragging up the pail to fill their own vessels, strong arms and backs. It couldn't be that hard to pull water, Laurel told herself as the line diminished and it was her turn. But as she got closer, she could see that even the pulley wasn't as easy as she thought.
Several pairs of eyes were watching her as she approached, set down the waterskins and observed the well. She lay a hand on one of the ropes, rough bristles biting into the soft fleshof her palm, and heard a laugh behind her. She immediately let go, knowing it was the wrong strand of rope she was holding.
"Need a hand?"
She turned and almost had to do a double-take. For a moment, she was transported back to the Dagarell Palace stables, the gentle light, the horses whickering, laughing with Alfie as he cleaned the tackle. His eyes were the same sparkling brown, his hair in those same angelic curls. But there was something more pointed in his chin, broader in his shoulders.
"Thank you," she said to the stranger, and stepped aside as he let the pail down and dragged it up, muscles pumping.
They poured the water out into their various containers between them. "See?" he asked. "Easy. Which way are you headed?"
She gestured the way back to where Seb's tent was. "You?"
"I'm a gentleman and I'd better make sure you get back safely."
His brown eyes twinkled, and Laurel's stomach swooped as she thought, Oh no.

--

He led her to a quiet patch of the camp, where the horses were stabled and trees arched overhead. His name was Paul, and he was a remarkably good kisser. In the damp twilight, with the sounds of the camp a little further away, a clutch of trees leaning on on them, Laurel considered running away with Paul. They could live a simple life, she could strip herself of the Sigrid name and be someone else. Someone happy. When she pulled away from him, he glowed a little in the rain.
She grinned and pushed the hair back from his temple. "It looks like you're Gifted."
He grinned back. "I am, a little. But don't tell anyone."
She stumbled backwards a step or two. "But you're not a noble."
He shrugged. "Not everyone Gifted is, you know." And to prove his point, a single orange spark burst from his palm. "Does it trouble you?" He took a step towards her. "Or are you just thinking of how, if you raised me above my station and married me, all of your children would stand a chance of being Gifted too?"
She snorted, incredulous. "Really? You think I'm going to marry you?"
"No, but I know noble born girls don't go around kissing commoners every day."
His grin had taken on a smugness that Laurel didn't like. "Then you clearly haven't met many of us," she said. "I rather think I'm done with you." She picked up her waterskins and headed back towards the tents. She could hear Paul protesting behind her, but she ignored him. Laurel felt used, even though she reminded herself that she had been using him as well. Kissing boys like Paul was a distraction for her, a habit she couldn't kick, no matter how many times she thought about Alfie, wondered where he was.
Seb's tent came into view, but she faltered as she saw one of the figures standing in her way. It was her father. He was hard to miss, nearly as big as George, that terrible sneer and his over-large nose.
"I see you're finally sleeping next to the Prince," he remarked, and she saw several soldiers turn their attention to him. "Perhaps all of those years in the palace weren't wasted after all. Maybe you're putting your rather limited skillset to good use." He observed her. "Though unless it was him pulling your hair in the trees over there, I doubt it."
"Father." Laurel came to a stop several feet away. "Did you have something to tell me?"
He shook his head. "I was just coming from an important meeting with Her Majesty. You aren't exactly in her confidence, so I can't tell you what it was about."
She didn't know what it was, maybe that she hadn’t had a good night’s rest in days, or that a civil war was looming around them, combat inching closer with every breath, but something was the last straw. Instead of walking away from her father as she intended, she stalked the short distance between them, until she was staring right in his face, feeling his breath on her nose.
“You abandoned me,” she said, low and angry. “You sent me to live with her, to be her servant, because you couldn’t be bothered raising me any longer. You left me alone to that - that dragon. And I will never forgive you for that.”
His sneer disappeared under a coat of rage. “You insolent girl.” She saw his fists clench by his sides. “You were always so much trouble - no wonder your mother wanted to send you away so young. Why could you not be more like your brothers?”
The images burst into her mind; George’s smile, George wielding his sword, George’s huge hands clapping her shoulder, George’s face full of concern and love.
“If I could be more like George, and less like you and Mother, believe me, I would count that as a blessing.”
She took a deep breath, side stepped him and went on her way. Something fizzed in her chest and she thought that this must be how it feels to be Gifted, to be powerful, to be strong.
"You're more like me than you might think!" she heard her father call after her. "You'll realise that one day!"

--

She was nothing like him, she told herself. She was something different. Something better. She had saved Nathaniel from an unjust execution. She was kind to servants. She was kind to Seb. She scraped by her survival in the palace without trying to bring others down to use as her stepping stones.
She went out again close to sunset to stretch her legs again. She was surprised to see a familiar face sitting outside a nearby tent. Calliope Pillory had her eyes closed, the pinkish sunset softening the crow's feet at either side, catching her halo of red hair.
"Lady Pillory."
Her eyes fluttered open. "Laurel," she said, her voice soft. "I didn't even know you were here." She shuffled over on the barrel she was using as a seat, to make room for Laurel.
"I didn't know you were here either," Laurel said, taking the perch beside her.
"I didn't intend on it," Lady Pillory said with a sigh.
"Neither did I." Laurel looked up to the house, and wondered what was there. Was the King feasting, sleeping on a feather bed, laughing at this mess of a camp down here. "I don't know why I'm here." She was surprised at her own candour. They were both tired, and dirty, and it didn't feel like there had to be any secrets between them anymore.
"I'm not really sure either. I think they've spent so long worrying I'm going to defect from their cause that they didn't know what to do with me when I wasn't useful anymore."
"You're Gifted, though. Isn't that what this is all about? Maintaining Gifted leadership?"
"When Fred was young, I used to hope he would turn out to be Ungifted. That I would never have to pass the mantle to him, that it could go somewhere else." She sighed.
Laurel shook her head. "I've only ever been a disappointment to my parents, milady. I don't think you would really want an Ungifted child."
Something unexpected happened. Laurel felt Lady Pillory grasping her hand. "Your father is a fool, Laurel. In many ways. And more fool him for not appreciating you for what you are."
But Laurel didn't know what she was, didn't know if there was anything there to appreciate. She was nothing like him, she reminded herself. That didn't mean she wasn't bitter, and cold, and selfish. She looked up at Summerhouse, and that cold rage hissed inside her. The beacon of light and hope and joy that Laurel had never been allowed, for no good reason.
Lady Pillory followed her gaze up to the house. "You know that my aunt was fifteen when she arrived here?" she asked softly.
Laurel nodded.
"Lord Fairview was a terrible drunk. He was three times her age. And she spent six years, six gruelling years of her life, caring for him. She doesn't talk about him much, but when she does... he was swollen and yellow and he couldn't remember his own name. And the house had fallen into ruin. Then he died, and she was only twenty-one, and she had an entire lifetime to devote to this place."
"I hope she can fix the gardens when this is over," Laurel said.
"She will. She's always been so resourceful. And I think about that a lot." Lady Pillory sighed again. "Sometimes, something can seem so difficult, but it gives you the tools to do something incredible."
"Maybe if you're Lady Fairview," Laurel said. "I don't think I could ever accomplish anything so grand."
"That's the special thing about youth." Lady Pillory had her eyes closed again, letting the last of the sun fall from her face as the shadows lengthened. "That's what I always tell Fred. The real gift is having your entire life ahead of you, and a thousand incredible things for you to do."
The sun dipped below the treeline, and the noise of the camp swelled as it fell into shadow. They said there, Lady Pillory's hand clasping Laurel's, and it made her want to cry. What would it have been like to grow up with her as a mother? With someone so kind, so warm, so easy to understand?
They went their separate ways. Laurel heard soldiers whooping as she went past, their faces like those of monsters in the firecast shadows.
"There she is," one of them, drunk and too loud, shouted. "The famous whore, Lady Sigrid. Did you hear young Paul had a go at her?"
Laurel rolled her eyes. She had heard worse.
"I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole," said one.
"Ah you would, look at those curves."
"Haven't you heard? She's the Queen's prodigy. Trained her to be just like her. As cold as ice, they say. As vicious as the Queen."
She felt her face go red and hurried on her way, diving into Seb's tent. He was asleep already - all he seemed to do was sleep.
Laurel curled up, with a hand on her crossbow.
As vicious as the Queen.
When she woke up, her pillow was soaked through.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 pm
View Likes
Cadi says...

Aw, Lady Pillory! <3
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

This week has been UNDULY STRESSFUL, but I managed it thankfully!

Chapter Thirty - 2,772 words - Astrid

Spoiler! :

The armies arrived in the night, two of them, twinned, and the vision of Summerhouse was destroyed under a sea of canvas and metal. Astrid couldn't sleep, even with the opium, and the less she slept, the more restless she became.
Through the gap in the gauzy curtains she watched the Wilde colours flying, horses being tied up in orderly rows. It almost pained her to see the destruction of the gardens, but pain seemed the new normal to her body. Besides, if Lady Fairview could overcome seeing the uprooting of her flowerbeds, so could Astrid.
She had help, of course The Avery girls barely left her side, helping her in and out of bed, taking short walks up and down the corridor outside whenever she felt she could manage it. Though, perhaps, she had ulterior motives.
“So… what was it like?” Genevieve eventually asked, eyes narrow and sly. The other two beatified her with encouraging smiles.
Astrid stared aghast at them. They did not relent.
"Go on," said Setter.
"It was... nice," she offered.
“Don’t give it all away at once there, Astrid,” Antonia said, with a roll of her eyes. “Come on. We need details.”
“How did it happen?” Genevieve asked, eyes glowing.
Astrid didn't want to talk about this. It suddenly felt wrong. It was like she had swallowed something that was knocking on her stomach, reminding her of every sin she had ever committed.
"Alicia isn't here." Ever insightful Setter laid a hand on hers. "And I don't know if she'll be angry, when she finds out, but we won't be." She sat back, pulling her knees up to her chest and settling in for the story she anticipated Astrid telling. "Besides, you've been in love with Nathaniel for years, everybody knows that."
"Everyone?" Astrid spluttered.
"Except Alicia," said Genevieve. "And Nat. And maybe that Hareldon boy who moons after you at every party."
“He does not moon.”
"Like you don't moon after Nathaniel?" Setter asked.
“Stop changing the subject,” Antonia said. “Now. Who kissed whom first?”
“He did.” Astrid surrendered to the memory of his lips on hers.
“Excellent. And who undressed whom first? Did you undress fully?” Genevieve asked.
Astrid nodded, and burst into a fit of giggles despite herself.
“Did you enjoy yourself?” Antonia asked, her voice so low and suggestive that Astrid felt the blush in her cheeks deepen even further.
“I mean…” she rubbed the sheet of her bed between her hands. “Yes. I did. Although not as much as I could have, I don’t think.”
"I suppose you'll just have to try again," Setter said.
“Where did you do it?” she asked again. “On the ground? In a bed?”
Astrid paused again. She could see Antonia's eyes narrowing. Damn you, Astrid thought.
And damn her own inability to lie. “Um… Liss’s room. In her... in her bed.” She bowed her head.
Silence enveloped them again. “Well,” Antonia said.
“Do you think she’ll forgive me for that transgression?” Astrid asked.
Setter squeezed Astrid’s arm. “After everything you’ve done to save her, how could she not?”

--

The Avery girls were banished from the room for Astrid to sleep, and when she woke up there was a different companion, ever present, with her embroidery hoop. Once, in the late evening, Astrid's eyes fluttered open to see Lady Fairview asleep in her chair. But she never left Astrid alone, not for a minute.
"Milady," she asked one day.
"Bethany," Lady Fairview corrected. "What is it?"
"The King is here, in the house, isn't he?"
Lady Fairview's hand trembled a beat before she made her next stitch. "What makes you say that?"
"Only that it would be hospitable of you, and I can't believe you would let a man of his constitution sleep outside in a tent."
Lady Fairview barked a short laugh, but said nothing.
"He is, though, isn't he, Milady?"
"What does it matter if he is?"
"I want to see him - to apologise to him for demolishing his ballroom."
"I assure you he has already forgiven you. It was a hideous room anyway." Her needle continued, up and down, inscribing the cotton with a pattern that Astrid couldn't see.
"Milady, I really want to speak to him."
"No!" she shouted, and for a brief moment, Astrid saw fear shimmering in Lady Fairview's eyes. "No," she said. "You aren't strong enough, Astrid. Not yet."
"Milady-"
"No. That's an end to the matter."
"Bethany."
The old lady looked at her, mouth open. Astrid held her gaze level, and didn't let it go. Even though they were here, in this white room with the fluttering curtains, Astrid bound to this bed, she needed Lady Fairview to remember: they were equals, peers of the realm, only sixty years separating them.
Lady Fairview settled into the back of her chair. "Alright. I'll arrange it."

--

With the girls, they explored the wing of the house Astrid's room was in. Astrid felt stronger with every step she took. The skin on her back was tight from the scabs healing over her wounds, and she still could not take deep breaths. Her arm was bandaged tightly and strapped to her chest. It was ugly, it was cumbersome.
But Summerhouse was not.
She loved it here, loved it certainly more than the palace, maybe more than Avery’s Academy; only Wolfe Castle lay higher in her affections. Summerhouse was elegant and light, its ceilings were high and corniced and frivolous, with tiny gilt details on the walls. Astrid dug her toes into soft pink carpet, they investigated the empty echoing ballroom, all silver and reflective, the pillars stretching up towards heaven. With autumn setting in piles of leaves brushed up against the glass doors, they smelt crisp and full of potential.
But everything was wrong.
Outside, Lady Fairview’s stepped gardens were turned to a muddy hash of soldiers and horses and tents. The corridors were eerily quiet, until all of a sudden an aide would come rushing past them. They would look at Astrid with frog-eyes, she assumed that word about what she had done must have gotten out. And all of these people were sucked into some unknown vacuum, a place where the King was, a place that was forbidden to Astrid.
She made it as far as the porch one day, standing with the last afternoon sun on her face, eyes closed, a breeze carrying over the perfumes of Lady Fairview’s carefully cultivated garden, but along with it the smell of horses and sweat, the hammering of smiths, the taste of metal.
“Astrid!”
She opened her eyes and there, thank Goddess, was a familiar face, though still out of place here.
“Rudy!”
He hugged her gently, gingerly. Soldiers nearby watched on with interest.
“Rudy, I… I can’t thank you enough. Everything you did. You saved my life. Thank you.”
He batted her away. “It was nothing.”
Astrid let a look pass between them, a look that said they both knew this was a lie.
“We’re both here now. I’m learning so much from Lady Fairview’s gardeners. You should have seen this place before the army arrived - I suppose you have.”
Astrid nodded, her mind full of the curving pink beds of roses, the clipped topiaries, the lines of soldier-like daffodils that sprung on the edge of each step in springtime, the bluebells that led down to the forest walk, the buzz of honeybees and singing cicadas.
“Lady Fairview said she was going to offer you a job. I think she’ll need all the help she can get to return this place to what it once was.”
Rudy looked out at all the soldiers, a world perhaps even more foreign to him than it was to Astrid.
"It would be worth the work," he murmured. "But it wouldn't be worth leaving you alone in Wolfe Castle. How are you going to grow roses in that salt soil without me?"
He nudged her, and she smiled for a moment, but the army didn't disappear, and the garden remained destroyed.

--

Finally, Lady Fairview relented, and told her the King was expecting her.
He had taken over one of the downstairs salons as a study. With Antonia on one side and Setter on the other, Astrid stumbled down the elegant sweeping stair case, along the pink corridor, and through the white painted double doors.
There was a storm of aides and generals, flurries of papers, constant noise billowing from every corner of the room. And yet, in the eye of the storm, the King was still. His hands
King Sinclair had taken over one of Lady Fairview’s downstairs salons as a study. With Antonia on one side and Setter on the other, Astrid made her way down the elegant sweeping staircase, along the corridor of white painted doors and pink walls, and into the room.
There was a storm of aides and generals, flurries of papers, constant noise billowing out of every corner of the room. And yet, at the eye of the storm, the King sat still. His hands were folded on the table in front of him. His eyes met hers, and Astrid felt his gaze filling her with strength, as if it were Gift, or air.
She took a ginger step forward.
"Astrid," said the King.
The room around them seemed to slow and quieten, until everyone was still, and silent. The King leant heavily on both his hands - they were puffy, she noted, as if the dropsy was getting worse and filling them up the way it filled his legs - and pushed himself to his feet. Before Astrid could open his mouth to speak, the King bowed to her.
The entire room followed suit.
A shiver ran over Astrid's ruined back, along her beaten and bruised limbs, as they all straightened again. There were so many pairs of eyes watching her, and she felt so much more vulnerable here than she had done in the ballroom, her arm strapped up, Antonia and Setter prepared to catch her at a moment's notice. A murmur rose to a hum around them, and after an awkward few moments where everyone seemed to have forgotten the war, preferring to focus their attention on Astrid Race, the staff started to return to their duties.
"I am glad to see you are well," lied the King.
"And I am glad to see you well, Your Majesty," Astrid lied back. She managed about one quarter of a curtsey, so off balance was she with her arm pinned to her chest and her ribs threatening to betray her at any moment.
"What you did in the ballroom was incredibly brave," King Sinclair said.
She shook her head. "I don't know about brave. I just know that I want to do anything I can to help Alicia and the others. I just want her back safely."
"As do I." He sighed. "Astrid, have you ever been to the Venturefalls?"
She shook her head. "It's too far off of the road south, but I have heard the stories."
"A lake with no magic, and a dead forest. They are the only monuments to our last civil war, and believe me, it was bloody and gorey and, at the end of the day, achieved nothing. My family have protected Samina as best we can since then. When my great-great-grandmother, Queen Margaret, forged the alliance with the Merle Archipelago, she thought she was doing what she could to keep us safe from outside threat. To keep us strong. And she succeeded. A century and a half we have thrived, we have been blessed with peace and good fortune. But I cannot stand by the Treaty as it is currently. The world is changing. Your generation knows that, even if mine does not. The Treaty, in its current form, is not fit for purpose. So you see, I cannot back down. But neither can I risk another civil war. And I refuse," he finished, "to be the King to disrupts that peace to go to war with my own wife."
She nodded. She understood this. Even as Madame Avery spent hours in Policy class and History class teaching them the importance that they keep the Treaty, that they keep their traditions alive, she knew what the King was trying to achieve, and knew he wanted to keep the peace.
"Anneliese has arrived with an army," he continued, as if Astrid did not already know that. "I cannot have a war here, on the outskirts of Summerhouse. But neither can I surrender to her, nor agree to her terms."
"Then what are you going to do?" she asked him.
The King sighed. "I have a solution. In one way, it is elegant. In another, it is terrible, and ugly. And if it goes ahead, I am afraid... that you will have to play a part still bigger than the one you have already played."
Astrid forgot herself. She reached across the table and grabbed the King's hand. "Your Majesty," she said, and in that moment there was just the two of them in the room, no more generals, no more paperwork, no more bustling aides, Setter and Antonia faded like designs in the wallpaper. "If there is anything I can do to help Alicia, I will do it. Anything."
His smile was sad. "That is what Bethany feared you would say."
Astrid frowned. Lady Fairview was not here, off elsewhere instructing her household, and she couldn't seek her out for counsel.
The King gestured to the map in front of him, the models - all Wilde red and white - scattered on it. "I wish it weren't the case, but as it stands, if I meet my wife in the field, we will lose the battle. All of our projections tell us so. And even if that were not the case, I still would not risk war, if I could avoid it. But I am making a proposal that Anneliese will not refuse. You see, the reason that the Treaty currently requires leaders to be Gifted-"
"- is so that conflicts could be decided in a duel, to avoid battle," Astrid finished. The implications of this thought floated in her head, like a cloud she couldn't pin down.
"I would gladly duel my wife myself," he said, "but with Alicia's whereabouts still unknown, it's felt by my staff and advisors that my death in such a duel would throw Samina into a yet deeper chaos."
Astrid didn't dare glance at his barrel chest or tree-trunk legs, didn't dare let on that the whole country thought his death may come sooner than he hoped, but from a rather different source.
"But still, we agree that a duel would be a... solution. But, if it were to go ahead, then someone would need to face Anneliese. I would need a champion."
"Champion," Astrid breathed.
His eyes were full of sadness, but he did not soften the blow. "Yes," he said, and that was all.
No more words were needed. Her mind started racing - this is why Lady Fairview didn't want her to come down here, how guilty the old lady must have felt that she had taught Astrid her secret, made her so strong... and how stupid Astrid had been to reveal that secret to the whole kingdom in the ballroom. It wasn't Lady Fairview's fault. Astrid had only herself to blame for this, for making herself the obvious solution, a girl who had been trained for six years in duelling technique, who had produced the strongest Gift seen in Samina in a generation. She was the only way forward.
And she only had one way forward.
Alicia was still alive, Astrid knew it in the way her heart thumped, from the words of Fred Pillory, from the gleam in the King's eyes as he mentioned his daughter's name. Alicia was still alive - and she needed Astrid's help.
The room was spinning, and she thought that she might faint, but she didn't. The noise of the room had died down again, as Samina's latest political drama unfolded before the naked eyes of the staff. She felt Setter's hand on her arm, afraid that Astrid was about to tumble to the ground. But she didn't. She was strong, and Gifted, and she was the King's champion.
She would be the King's champion.
"I'll do it," she told him, just as her vision began to swim, and she heard Antonia calling for a chair. Astrid just took a deep breath, settled herself, felt herself grow tall again. "I'll be your champion."

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

This chapter will be way better next draft. There's a lot of stuff here that is meant to be meaningful and emotional, and it just isn't, because I had to keep moving.

Anyway. It's the Barton Boys!

Chapter Thirty-One - Fred - 2821 words

Spoiler! :
They rode almost non-stop, and even when they rested, Fred seemed to still be in the saddle in all of his dreams. His legs were stiff and blistered, his back ached, the reins had cut welts into the palms of his hands. The boys were all moody, barely speaking to each other when they had the chance, and the horses weren't too pleased with them either.
They cut across Samina, through farmland that Fred had never seen before. The Glistenfell Forest loomed like a green cloud on the horizon to the west as they went south. Somewhere in there lay Avery's Academy, he thought, the hallowed halls of mystery that they had spent so long imagining. They could break off their route, delve into the gloom of the forest, find the house full of pretty girls, dressed in silks and giggling. Ambrose could finally encounter the famous Antonia Daspire. Fred could thank Astrid Race for all of her help, and at last put a face to the name.
But there was no evidence that the girls were still there. Fred imagined entering the school, desolate, cold, and as barren as Barton's own halls.
They rode on.
Summerhouse. That was where they were going. They stopped a few times in roadside inns, and the news seemed to have spread quickly. The army had been mustered - even the farmers, even though it was harvest time.
"Was it the King or the Queen?" Lambert asked one landlady.
"That's just it, isn't it?" she said, filling their mugs with another round of ale. "My eldest son's regiment has gone off to the King, and my younger has gone to join the Queen. Word says they're going to fight each other."
"This is insanity," Ambrose hissed. "They can't fight each other. They can't have a war over this."
"She stole his daughter and heir," said Lambert. "And wouldn't you fight for the princess?"
Her face was never far from Fred's thoughts, silver like the moon. "I would," he said.
Lambert seemed satisfied that he had made the point.
They rode on.

--

Fred knew Summerhouse, of course. His great-aunt Bethany lived there, and it always reminded him that maybe that was really how nobility was meant to live. Their estate in Warehaven had a lot of land, that his mother rented out to tenant farmers, and the house was not much more than a big country house, with thick beams and white walls, roaring fireplaces, fluffy carpets that his mother helped weave over the flagstones. Summerhouse was something else, all marble and gilt, pink, the gardens an impossibility of the frivolous, the beauty, something that only held worth because Bethany Fairview made it so. He loved it, even if he didn't understand it.
Everytime he got that far south though, his feet itched, and it was not much better this time. Even though he prayed that his mother was waiting for him in the camp outside Summerhouse, and that he had to go to make sure the much worse alternative was not the case, he still squinted towards the horizon.
"Have either of you ever been to the Venturefalls?" he asked the others.
"When would we have been, mainlander?" asked Ambrose in response.
"And why would we?" Lambert asked. "There's nothing there except a lake and a lot of dead trees."
"History," Fred suggested, but only half-heartedly. They all knew that that wasn't why Fred was interested. Fred was interested in the magic. It didn't make sense, not in the theory of Gift that they were taught in Barton's. The crater created by their last civil war, filled with water that rejected all magic, the withered Deadwoods that were abandoned by the natural Gift under the earth. If the stories were true, then magic was something else, not just energy, but something wild and wilful, something wonderful, something Fred needed to see for himself.
But first, he had to find his mother. He had to be sure that she was safe. Whenever he thought about her he could feel bile rising in his throat. He shouldn't have left Barton's without a second galnce, he should have thought things through. He hadn't heard from her since she had signed the ratification. What if Sigrid had gotten to her? Or the Queen?
They were less than half a day away from Summerhouse when they stopped to water the horses at a gurgling stream. There was autumn sun shining weakly down on them, a drift of leaves blowing past. Ambrose had his hands behind his head, legs akimbo. Lambert had spotted some mushrooms on the other side of the stream, and nearly lost his balance while he jumped across to investigate. The wind hummed through the red and gold trees, and on it, Fred heard a familiar sound.
It was the school song, sung by sixty voices.
Fred jumped up. "Do you hear that?" he asked the others.
"Hear what?" Ambrose asked, lazily untangling himself.
For a moment, Fred thought he was imagining it. But then, the wind came again, and with it, the voices, and any doubt vanished.
Lambert scrambled back across the stream, dropping several of his specimens as he did so. "What are they doing here?" he hissed.
"Maybe it's someone else singing," Ambrose offered, a thin excuse.
They untied the horses and led them into the copse of trees, but there was not much by way of hiding places. Fred could now hear the sounds of hooves, of whooping and clapping in amongst the singing.
"This might not be a bad thing," Ambrose said.
"What are you talking about? Klepper and Barton will have our heads," Lambert said. "We need to get as far from the road as we can."
But Fred didn't want to, going off the road just meant he was even further from his mother, and he refused to leave her alone any longer than he had to.
"We're trying to get into the Queen's camp, aren't we?" Ambrose asked. "Where do you think they're going?"
Neither Fred nor Lambert answered. Ambrose rolled his eyes. "Just let me do the talking."
Fred peered around the tree trunk. He could see Barton leading the group, his eyes watering, his clothes shabby, and his horse looking like it had been on the brink of death for several years.
Ambrose stepped smartly out into the middle of the road. Barton's eyes opened like they were seeing the sun for the first time. Klepper's hair shot up even further from his head.
Ambrose raised a hand, and gave them a trademark charming smile.
"Gradua," Barton said, Klepper snarling beside him as Lambert and Fred stepped out too, sheepish. "Explain yourselves."
"We are so lucky to have found you!" Ambrose said. "And we want to apologise most heartily for leaving the way that we did. You see, we were so incensed by events that we wanted to come to the mainland and convince Fred's mother to change her mind. But then, of course, we heard about the armies being mustered, and we realised that where we were needed was by the Queen's side, protecting our traditions. We are so lucky to meet you on the road. Please, we implore you." He clasped his hands. "Let us travel with you, and fulfill our duties to Samina."
Sparks of purple Gift were flying from Klepper's fingers, threatening to catch his reins alight.
But Barton almost didn't seem to mind. "You wish to join the Queen's ranks?"
"Of course." Ambrose spread his hands. "What else could we probably want?"

--

Of course Barton was happy to take them back. He had spent his entire career defending the Treaty to them, teaching them that Gift was strength, and Gift was their right to rule. Seeing Ambrose, an islander, beseeching them to let them join the cause, the pinnacle of everything Barton had worked for, surely was all the convincing he needed.
So, even though Klepper was seething and no doubt wanting to punish them, they were allowed to join the back of the ranks. The Fifth Years had a lot of questions, but they closed ranks and talked amongst themselves.
"This way, we can approach the camp without question," Ambrose explained. "And from there, we can do whatever we want. Find the princess."
"Find my mother," Fred added.
They looked up, and there it was. Fred's breath caught it.
"We're here," said Lambert, as if they hadn't noticed.
Summerhouse. And surrounding it, like a sea of red and white, were the two armies. Steel and shouting rose towards them, and there was the stench of horses and men. Suddenly, Summerhouse did not seem the magical place it had been Fred's entire life.
The Barton boys - all of them - rode into the camp, Barton vouching for them at the entrance. Fred, Lambert and Ambrose dismounted. The camp was smoky and cramped, and the soldiers peered at all of them with interest. Fred's heart began to pump harder - what if they saw the captain who had cut the Princess's hair? Would Fred be able to hold himself back? The Gift fizzing in his fingertips said no.
The teachers disappeared, and it wasn't clear where the boys were meant to go. Fred took his chance and dragged the other two away from the group.
"Where should we start?" Lambert asked.
Fred had no idea. Where would they keep a captive princess? Where would they keep Calliope Pillory, an important ally they didn't trust without the power of blackmail?
They made note of where they were, and started in one direction, stepping slowly between campfires and puddles until they reached the edge of the camp. From there, Fred glimpsed the expanse of bare land, running like a green carpet to where the King's army started. For a moment, it seemed peaceful, and then he saw a white horse breaking ranks, running across the grass.
"A message?" Lambert asked.
"Not for us," Fred said. "Come on. Maybe it will be the distraction we need."
They turned back and started in the other direction. Fred kept his eyes peeled for his mother. There was suddenly a lot of commotion with the messenger arriving, being taken to the Queen. Nobles were now running every direction, clean and finely dressed among all of the soldiers. They jostled the boys, pushing past them as if they were invisible. None of them were Calliope Pillory, and even though a few of them were slightly familiar, he didn't want to ask any of them if they knew where his mother was. They continued to push through, and Lambert gestured that they should go to the right. They swerved - straight into a bundle of black hair and soft wool. Fred reached his arm out to balance the girl, losing her balance in the mud.
His hand closed around her arm, and all of the breath left Fred's body. The girl was smaller than him, pale, with curves he couldn't ignore, and a messy braid of black hair swinging like a pendulum behind her. He balanced her, but didn't let go of her arm.
"Fred?" she asked, green eyes wide under their clustered black lashes.
"Laurel," he breathed.
And suddenly her arms were around his neck, her body pressed into his in a way he had dreamt of countless times, but not like this, not here, not now. He hugged her back tightly, and thought he felt a sob rack her ribs.
"It's good to see you." She was a bit breathless too. "What are you doing here?"
"Ambrose Gradua," Ambrose said, reaching forward to offer Laurel his hand.
"These are Ambrose and Lambert," Fred said quickly. "And this is Laurel."
"I thought you were still at Barton's," Laurel said.
There were so many things he wanted to tell her. He wanted to find some quiet spot and sit with Laurel and ask her a thousand questions about her life. She had once said that she loved to draw - Fred would love to see her sketches. He wouldn't mind hearing stories about her infamous brother, George, the black sheep of the family who had quickly become the King's favourite. Fred thought he could lap up every word Laurel Sigrid ever said, and never get bored. But he didn't have time. There was no time.
"Barton's has come here," Fred replied. "Laurel, have you seen my mother?"
She took in the others. Then she gave him a single, decisive nod.
Laurel's hand dropped into his. A shiver went through the whole of Fred's body. She turned and began to lead him through the maze of tents, a maze that Laurel seemed to know very well.
"Damn, I can see why you like her," Ambrose whispered in Fred's ear. Fred elbowed him.
The tents were closing in on them. Fred's feet kept falling one in front of the other, Laurel the only thing that kept him going in one direction.
The commotion seemed to be rising, now there were soldiers getting involved, high ranking officials pushing their way to the epicentre of activity in the Queen's tent. Laurel's fingers tightened their grip on Fred's and he suddenly felt safe in her hands. She wasn't letting him go.
And then, there, in the middle of all the chaos, was calm. Calliope Pillory was watching the world go by the way she would watch the tide lapping against the shore of Warehaven. Her hands were clasped, and like a willow tree in the wind she swayed back and forth as people made their way past. Her eyes lighted on Fred, and he ran to her.
He held her tight, felt her feet lift off the ground as he hugged her, breathed in the familiar scent of home. "I'm so sorry," he muttered again and again. "I'm so sorry."
"Sorry for what, my darling boy?" She reached up and fixed his hair. "You've been so brave."
"I've been so scared," he told her. "I've been so scared for you."
"And I've been so scared for you. But we're both here now." She squeezed his arm. "Now they can't hurt us."

--

Calliope had a tent of her own, and a campfire run by some of the boys brought down from Warehaven by the muster. They made stew for her and her guests. Fred tried hard not to let his eyes drift over to Laurel, her pink bottom lip jutting out as she listened to them all talking.
"The princess is here somewhere," Fred finally confessed to her and his mother. "We just don't know where."
Calliope shook her head. "She might not be, Fred. They may well have taken her back to the palace, now it's been emptied out. Or a hundred other places. She would be too easily to spot in the camp."
"Even with her head shorn," Ambrose said. "Say, are the other Avery girls here?"
Calliope shook her head. Laurel lifted her eyes to Summerhouse. "They're in the house," she said. "I would put money on it." She turned to Fred. "After your letter, Astrid Race did something rather surprising."
So much had happened Fred had almost forgotten about that letter, sent on a whim, with barely a shadow of a hope that it could effect any change. But Laurel took over the storytelling, in her lovely deep voice, and Fred couldn't quite believe it. Had his letter really caused Astrid to collapse the ballroom? Or had a cryptic message from a stranger far away simply sent her over the edge?
"I'll help you look for Alicia," Laurel said. "But this place is so confusing and there's so many parts of the camp and places we'll never be allowed into. Do you think Charlie and the others are here too?"
Fred thought back to Charlie, the earnest face full of freckles. He couldn't have been sure that he was one of the people under the hoods. But he had to hope. "Maybe," he told Laurel.
"I saw him taken away. There was nothing I could do to stop it," Laurel said. "Anything we can do to stop this dragon, we need to do it."
"What about this war?" Lambert asked.
Calliope shook her head. "I think that the war is beyond any of our control."
A runner was coming through. A hush came over the soldiers as they all waited to hear what he had to say. Fred and the others lifted their heads in interest.
"The King has set terms, and the Queen has agreed to them." The runner coughed, taking a moment to remember his rehearsed speech. "To avoid unnecessary bloodshed, tomorrow we will hold a duel, as has always been Saminan tradition. Whoever should win the duel, the terms will be respected, and it will be considered an end to the conflict."
Hush fell to utter silence.
"The Queen's champion shall meet the King's champion at noon."

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:51 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD.

Chapter Thirty-Two - 4946 words.

Spoiler! :
Lady Fairview made her roast duck with oranges, light red wine, roast potatoes so fluffy they were like clouds, with lashings of butter, sweet meringues with blackberries and cream. Astrid found she couldn’t eat a bite. Her hands were shaking whenever she tried to pick up the fork.
“You seem nervous.” Antonia arched an eyebrow. “Which would be understandable.”
“I’m not nervous,” she lied, and badly.
Under the table, when no one was watching, she tried to produce a spark of Gift. It was so dark, it was nearly black.
Astrid shouldn’t have agreed to this, but she had. She had promised her King, and she knew that it was the best way to end a war, to get Alicia and Charlie and all of the others home safe. But still, in her stomach the truth lay like a stone: the Queen was going to kill her. Of course, the Queen would be her own champion. The only people stronger than her were Lady Fairview and the King – and, apparently, Astrid herself. Astrid had barely escaped with her life the last time they duelled – with every passing moment, her stunt in the ballroom seemed nothing more than that; a cheap trick, the acts of a desperate woman.
She asked Lady Fairview and Antonia to be her seconds, and they both agreed without hesitation. “After all,” said Lady Fairview. “I am the second best duellist in the country.”
What a thing to imagine she believed Astrid was the best.
“If this goes well,” Genevieve said wistfully, “we’ll have Liss and Charlie home tomorrow.”
No one mentioned what might happen if things went badly.
Nathaniel was across the table from her, and Astrid could barely look at him, her heart fluttered at every glance. They had only just started, and the whole thing marred by guilt, the feeling that she had betrayed Alicia so utterly. It didn’t seem fair, for her to be going to her death tomorrow, only a week after she had saved him from his.
Astrid stood up abruptly while everyone was finishing their tea. “I think I’ll go to bed,” she told Lady Fairview. “I think I need to sleep.”
“Of course.” Lady Fairview rose and curtseyed to her. Astrid resisted the urge to check over her shoulder and make sure the King hadn’t just arrived, because Lady Fairview never curtseyed except to the sovereign. “Would you like some tea brought up for you?”
“No, thank you.”
Nathaniel jumped out of his seat. “Let me escort you upstairs, Your Grace.”
No one in their sombre party objected. Antonia didn’t even raise an eyebrow.
They walked through the darkened corridor, hands brushing the burnished handrail of the wide staircase as they ascended, one after the other.
He led her to the door of her room, and they paused. Astrid had no idea what to say.
“I know you’re not alright,” he told her. “You know that you don’t have to do this.”
Astrid shrugged. “Would you do it? If you knew that it was the best chance for Alicia, and for Charlie?”
“That’s different, I’m a knight – I’m trained to-“
“And I’m a duchess,” she said quietly. “And I’ve been trained, too.”
He reached out, and tucked a stray strand of her hair behind her ear. The gesture surprised her in how casual, how tender it was. Was this how things were going to become between them?
“I just don’t want to risk losing you,” he said. “Not after losing her.”
“I’m doing this to get her back,” Astrid responded, as fiercely as she could.
“But if you fail, then I lose both of you.”
“I’m aware,” she snapped, then took a deep breath. “Sorry. I mean. I know. But don’t worry. You’ll just find another blonde to fill our place.”
They both laughed, even though the joke was weak, and there was nothing else in the world that seemed funny. His hand softened against her face, and then he leant down and pressed a lingering kiss against her mouth.
“I think I’ve always love you,” he murmured, his lips hovering against hers. “Ever since that day in the woods on the Hazel Peninsula. Do you remember?”
She nodded.
“Alicia… she’s a dream. A goddess. But I don’t know if I loved her anymore than any other man in the country loves her. You’re just… real. You’re here. And now that I’ve realised it, I can’t bear the thought of losing you.”
“Then pray that I make it through tomorrow,” she said, “and I’ll come back to you. I’m going to try my very hardest not to die.”
He kissed her once more. Astrid felt like cherry blossoms were raining down around them, a single perfect moment amongst the disharmony of everything else. She didn’t want it to end.
But it did. He said his goodbyes, and she went inside, to lie sleepless in bed, until the velvet skies gave way to dawn.
--
Her arm was rebandaged, and Astrid found she could move without too much difficulty, after a spoonful of opium. She was not perfect, but her body didn’t have to be, she reminded herself. Just her soul.
She was loaded onto the back of Antonia’s horse, poor Callista remained in the city (assuming she hadn’t been stolen by an errant knight desperate for a steed to come and join one of the armies). She, the Avery girls, and Nathaniel, rode out first, with Lady Fairview. And behind them came the King, flanked on all sides by his bodyguard. George was armed to the teeth, and Astrid was glad to see him, but he didn’t smile. A shiver went down her spine at the serrated and wicked knife at his side, the scimitar, the heavy helmet he so rarely wore.
Then in a clattering of feet and hooves, creaking armour, slopping mud, the army fell into step. There were drummers, and standard bearers, and each and every single one of them looked terrified. Was this worse, she thought? Astrid Race trying to hold back a war that might be coming either way. She was just prolonging the moment of them realising their fates. Perhaps, after all, she should just let them fight. Perhaps that would be better.
But then she thought of Alicia, and how she missed her like a hole ripped in her chest. No. It wouldn’t be right to leave all those brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers at home, with holes in their hearts. She had to try and stop it. She wouldn’t let this pain spread. They would just have to be afraid a few hours longer.
The long strip of land lay empty between the two armies, but on the other side, Anneliese’s forces amassed in a line that seemed to stretch to both sides of Astrid’s vision. Antonia tightened her grip on the reins. Setter reached out and touched Astrid’s arm.
This was good land, Astrid thought, the grass green and rich, perfect for grazing. It would be a shame to churn it up with a battle.
The sky was like iron above them.
They paused, where a tent had been set up, big enough for only two or three people. There was a similar one on the Queen’s side of the strip, and there were sticks and strings set out to define the duelling field. As if Astrid needed them. Madame Hearing had taught them to never move more than two steps in any direction, it was like second nature to her. Duelling was about your Gift, not your agility.
She squinted, but the Queen was nowhere to be seen on the other side.
Lady Fairview held up a flap of the tent, and Astrid entered with her and the King. Inside were a few tables and chairs. An aide set down water and bandages on the table. Astrid winced at the sight. She took off her cloak, and found that her breath was coming in short, shallow bursts.
“You’re faster than Anneliese,” Lady Fairview promised her. “And you have more energy. And you are more Gifted. You just need to remember to keep calm, to not let your emotions get to you.”
Astrid felt so numb, she didn’t think she had any emotions left. They had all abandoned her in the night, in the march down the hill. Now she just wanted this to be over. One way or the other.
A breeze blew the tent flaps open. Nobody spoke. Antonia reached down and squeezed Astrid’s hand. Her curls were so tightly pinned back that the wind didn’t even touch them. Astrid patted the plait at the nape of her neck, making it was secure. She pulled at the sleeves of the green dress. Madame Hearing would have had her wear white. But then, Madame Hearing had never made her produce pure, white Gift.
“Remember the rules,” Genevieve told her. Astrid knew them all. Bow or curtsey to your opponent. Walk twelve steps, and turn. You should allow your opponent a respite whenever they asked for one. If they did ask, in that time you could swap your second in, but if it was your own respite, you could not. If you died, then the duel was over.
One of them would die. Astrid just had to try to make sure it was the Queen.
Her hands were steady now, compared to last night. Her short nails had been scrubbed clean of the grime from her cart ride with Rudy. Rudy. She had never given him a proper goodbye. Or Sylvia. Or Ceci. Or her father. Suddenly, tears began to prick, hot and urgent at her eyes, at the thought that she might never see them again.
Or she might not see Alicia, with her laughing eyes and dancing feet. Astrid mightn’t live to see her back at her side.
But she might. And that was the one thing that kept the tears at bay. She was doing this for Alicia. Everything had always been for Alicia. No one else mattered now. Not even Astrid herself.
She stood up abruptly. “I’m ready,” she said, cutting across whatever Lady Fairview was saying to the King.
Nobody objected.
She stepped outside. Each of the girls hugged her in turn. “I’ll be right behind you,” Antonia promised.
Genevieve jumped and threw her arms around Astrid’s neck. “Show her Gift like she’s never seen before. Please. For Liss. And Charlie.”
Setter’s embrace was gentle, and she whispered, “You can do it, Astrid,” in her ear before stepping away.
Nathaniel stook a little distance off, the wind ruffling his curls. His eyes met hers – blue, even now that the sky was grey. He didn’t smile, just stood like a hero in a painting, his helmet under his arm.
Astrid stepped up to him, reached up, and planted a long kiss on his lips. The world fell away – the other Avery girls, the King, the onlooking armies. She felt the spin of the earth underneath her feet, and could imagine the whole of their lives rolling out in front of them in this kiss – a life she needed to be alive for. She needed to come back to him. Whether he ended up choosing Alicia or not, she had to give them both a fighting chance.
“Come back,” he told her.
She didn’t promise anything, rested back on her heels, and looked across the divide. “Let’s go.”
A knight whose name she did not know (how wrong it felt, to be led to the slaughter by a man whose name she didn’t know), took her arm, and took her to the starting position. Antonia and Lady Fairview, the oddest couple in the world, followed her to the long, green expanse.
Astrid stood where she was told, and waited for Anneliese to emerge from the tent on the other side. There was some fuss, a clutch of armoured knights and nobles milling around, obscuring Astrid’s view. She frowned, wondering what was keeping the Queen, who was precise, and exacting, and would not be late. A minute passed, then two, then three.
And finally, her opponent emerged from the crowd, and came to her starting position. But she did not stride regally, but was shoved there, kicked to her knees. Astrid’s frown deepened.
The Queen had shaved her hair off. Perhaps she had gone completely mad. But something else didn’t fit about the picture. Astrid knew that dress, which was dirty, and ragged.
The other woman was breathing heavily on her hands and knees, and then she lifted her head to look at Astrid.
Astrid couldn’t help it, the scream escaped her lips without her intention. The other figure’s face contorted into a cry as well, and when it smoothed out, the Queen’s crow’s feet weren’t there, nor the frown lines on her head.
It wasn’t the Queen.
It was Alicia, ragged, downtrodden, shaved, but very much alive.
“No!” Astrid shouted. “No…”
She could not hold back the tears now, they spilt salty all over her cheeks. On Alicia’s face, all that way away, she could see them shining like silver rivulets on her perfect face.
She turned to see the army behind her, stunned into silence, but suddenly realised they didn’t understand. None of these soldiers knew who this ragged girl was, or what she meant to Astrid. The King’s eyes seemed wet, but he said nothing. Genevieve had both hands over her mouth, Nathaniel’s fingers digging into her shoulder as he gritted his own teeth.
Lady Fairview’s mouth was set in a resolute line.
“I can’t,” Astrid said, resisting a sob, which instead banged against her broken ribs. They hurt more than they ever had. Or maybe it wasn’t her ribs. Maybe it was the feeling of her heart breaking.
Lady Fairview stepped forward. “You have to do it,” she hissed. “You’re the champion. Samina’s fate lies in your hands.”
Astrid wanted to hate her, wanted to rale against her, pummel her with her fists. But she looked at the King, who continued to stare forward in determination. She looked at the King’s army, and then at the Queen’s, the whole country assembled here, waiting for Astrid to do battle on their behalf.
“But I can’t,” she whispered.
Lady Fairview gripped her hands tight between her own. “You have to try,” she told her, her blue eyes level. “If she does not fight this battle, rest assured that Anneliese will make her pay some other way. She has engineered this.” She shook her head. “We should have expected such trickery.”
She couldn’t see Anneliese, but she imagined her, hiding somewhere behind her ranks, a smug smile curling like a content animal on her face. What Astrid would give to punch that smile off of the Queen’s face and into the sea a hundred miles away.
She met Alicia’s eye across the long expanse, and her heart swelled and soared. She was alive. And for this moment, that was all she could care about. She planted one foot in front of her, and then the other. Alicia’s mouth was closed tight, and her eyes locked on Astrid’s, and she began to move forward too. The grass was wet with dew and slippery as Astrid walked towards her princess. Alicia’s features came into full focus- her roughly shorn hair and gaunt cheeks, dark circles under her eyes.
She broke into a run, and so did Alicia, and then they were in each other’s arms, clutching one another tightly, their breath in ragged sobs at each other’s shoulders as they fell to their knees in the grass, embracing alone on the battlefield.
“You’re alive,” Astrid wept.
Alicia swallowed. “Can we keep it that way? Just for a little while?”
Her voice was small and scared, in a way that Astrid didn’t think she had ever heard her.
“I’ll try,” Astrid said.
They helped each other to their feet, and curtseyed to one another. Then, Astrid turned, and began to count her twelve steps backward. Her own horror was mirrored on Antonia’s face, but Lady Fairview’s face was filled with determination. Astrid was met with a harrowing fact: if she refused to kill Alicia, then Lady Fairview would.
But what would everyone have her do? Kill her best friend in cold blood? She could feel that everyone around her was holding their breath, like they had sucked all the air out of the space between her and the dome of the sky.
Six, seven, eight… She could see Nathaniel very clearly, but she couldn’t read the expression on his face.
Ten, eleven… the girls all had their mouths open, even Setter, who was never surprised by anything.
Twelve.
She turned back to face her duelling partner. Their gaze met for just a second, and Astrid closed her eyes.
She knew every move Alicia would make, knew everything about her. It would take Alicia about fifteen seconds to create a blast. They had done this countless times. And she knew Alicia was thinking the same. They could spar, the way they did in school. Who would know the difference? Astrid counted in her head, waited, then heard the rush of Gift, and held her hands out to stop Alicia’s white blast.
She defended herself until the blast ended, and then shot back. The Gift was not white, of course it wasn’t. It was apple green, something she knew Alicia could easily stop, something that wouldn’t hurt her.
Alicia deflected it with one hand, and solemnly sent another back.
Astrid could hear disgruntled murmuring behind her, as if people were waiting for one of them to betray the other, to raise the aggression levels, to aim to kill.
There was a pause, where they both drew breath. Astrid knew that they couldn’t continue like this. One of them would have to get a hit in, to please those around them.
Alicia’s next shot came, hot and white, and Astrid let it bounce off her shoulder. A hiss like a kettle came off the wound, and was echoed by the crowd as they imagined the pain. Astrid fell to her knees and winced at the burn it had left. Her whole right side would be a write off if she continued like this.
Alicia had a wince etched on her own face too, as if she could feel Astrid’s pain herself. Astrid clambered to her feet again, shut her eyes, and fired.
Her Gift was all yellow, green, pale but not perfect. Alicia’s was white as always, but she shot as much as she could directly into Astrid’s hands, where Astrid could absorb it without being hurt. But as they went back and forth, Astrid knew it was getting them nowhere. She met Alicia’s eye again and bit her lip.
Astrid closed her eyes, and knew she had to prove her worth. She cleared her emotions, forgot everything about the situation, about who was standing in front of her and everything that that meant, she released all the energy in her chest until all that was left was the Gift.
It streamed towards Alicia, blindingly bright, every colour of the rainbow, pure, gorgeous and deadly. It touched Alicia’s fingertips, and Astrid let it wither into nothing. Alicia let out a whoop of surprise. Astrid nodded to her, trying to tell her that there was more to this duel that met the eye, that Astrid had learnt something in the past two weeks that made them equals. Or perhaps, even, made Astrid Alicia’s better. She imagined all the times she had wished for such a thing. It made her want to crawl into a whole in the ground.
Alicia was stunned. Clearly, no one had told her about the ballroom.
A few men cheered before being hushed in the ranks by their superiors behind Astrid. She stared at her feet, and imagined what Alicia would say under any other circumstances. “That’s amazing, Astrid! I always knew you’d be able to do it… I’m so pleased for you.”
But instead she was a scared, starved creature fighting for her life against Astrid’s new found powers.
Astrid raised her hands in defensive position, waiting for Alicia’s next blast. She was clearly upset by what had just passed, as the Gift was pale pink instead of white. Astrid pushed it back towards the princess with a little bit of her own injected, and back and forth they went again, sparring, practicing like they had done for six years.
Alicia was the one to stop this time. The two girls were breathing heavily, exhausted. Astrid shifted her weight from foot to foot, watching Alicia. Neither of them knew how to end this. Astrid considered just walking away – but she had promised to champion her King. Couldn’t something be done though, to stop Alicia fighting against her will? Astrid resolved to call for respite and find out the answer, to collect her thoughts, to work out what she was going to do.
She wasn’t going to kill Alicia. But was she going to let Alicia kill her?
Alicia shut her eyes, and tried harder to create white Gift. Astrid shut hers too, not preparing but bracing herself. When Alicia’s bar of white magic approached her, Astrid let it. It hit her right in the sternum, pushing her backwards until she lay flat on the grass. She rolled onto her left side and groaned. The pain was searing into her chest and she screwed her face up as hot tears overran her eyes.
“Respite,” she managed to gasp. “Respite!”
A knight came rushing to help her up. It was not the stranger who had led her to the strip, but George Sigrid. Rather than helping her to her feet, George grabbed her under the knees and shoulders and carried her, her broken bones and burnt shoulder jostling against his breastplate.
“I can stand, George,” she said through gritted teeth.
“Doesn’t mean you have to. God, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what I’d do if I were you.”
“I’m open to suggestions,” she said with a grimace.
In the tent the physician started pawing at her bodice but she waved him away. “I’m fine,” she told him. “It was deliberate. I need to speak to His Majesty.” She twisted to look at the King. “What am I supposed to do?” she asked.
The King was silent. “I ddon’t know.”
“I can’t kill Liss! I won’t!”
“Then would you rather I took over?” asked Lady Fairview.
Astrid shook her head. “Milady, you wouldn’t really. You wouldn’t really kill her in cold blood.”
“To save this kingdom from that woman, I would kill just about anybody. And you should feel the same way.”
Astrid shook her head. “No. I can’t. I can’t. She doesn’t want to be there – why would she? Did you see what they did to her hair? There must be – some clause, some agreement – that says that the champion has to be there of their own free will?”
Lady Fairview’s mouth twitched. “Ever the politician.”
“We sent a messenger over,” Setter said. “To ask just that.” She set her cool gaze on the King. “Your Majesty, rather than pushing Astrid to kill her friend, who has been coerced and is innocent, shouldn’t we be pushing to have Alicia removed from the field? It isn’t right.”
“We can’t prove anything,” the King said. “Until we do, the duel has to continue. This is a sared ritual. A stupid one. But that’s why Anneliese agreed in the first place. We have to respect the rules.”
Astrid wiped her face, tried to push feeling back into it with her fingertips. “Alright,” she said. “I’ll bide my time, but we need to think of something, and fast.”
“You can’t keep taking hits, “ Antonia told her. “You won’t survive them all. I’m surprised you survived that one.”
But honestly, Astrid would prefer that. She would prefer to die than kill Alicia. Except that if she did die, there would be no safety. Not for any of them.
“I’ll do my best,” Astrid muttered, and braced herself to stand, when the flaps of the tent blew open. A breathless runner leant on his knees as he delivered the message.
“Your Grace,” he said, nodding to Astrid. “The princess’s second has just requested to take her place. Do you consent?”
She was dumbfounded, and glanced at the sky, and the grass beneath her feet. Had her prayers been answered? “Of course,” she said, without a moment’s hesitation, and Genevieve shook her shoulder.
“See? It won’t be so bad now.”
“Do you think it will be the Queen?” Setter asked.
“Would she trust anyone else?” Antonia responded.
It didn’t matter. Fighting anyone was better than fighting Alicia.
Astrid could smell burning flesh rising from her shoulder, smoky in all the corners of the tent. She needed to be outside again. She stood up. “I’m ready to go back,” she told them all.
Setter tucked a strand of hair back into Astrid’s braid. “You are doing magnificently,” she said.
Astrid’s heart had slowed at the thought of not having to fight Alicia anymore. Alicia would be safe. She could win the duel, against whatever new master duellist Anneliese had pulled out, and have Alicia safe. It was lucky they had volunteered – or perhaps Alicia had asked them to.
She stepped back out of the dim tent into the bright midday. But on the other side of the field, a new ruckus was being caused.
The ranks were still quiet, and the wind travelling Astrid’s direction.
“I won’t let you!” shouted Alicia. “Please don’t!”
“I already have,” pleaded the other voice. It was familiar, but Astrid couldn’t place it. “Please. I need to do this.”
“No-“
The new opponent came out onto the field, with Alicia pulling on his sleeve, begging him to come back. But he stepped up to the mark, and the damage was done. He was the new duellist.
A moment passed with the wind.
“No!”
The cry cut through the air like a butcher’s knife. “No!”
Genevieve Ribbon stood alone on the grass behind Astrid, her face screwed up in agony at her cousin, standing as Astrid’s new challenger.
Charlie Ribbon didn’t exactly have his hands in his pockets, but he might as well have. His face was dirty, his shirt torn. He looked up at Astrid sheepishly, as if he had come to the Academy and given her roses, not just stepped into a duel to the death.
Astrid waited for the waves of pity and sorrow to come over her, but she couldn’t make them. Charlie had no Gift to speak of. He had no defences. She could see this knowledge rippling through the Queen’s ranks. He had just thwarted her chances. Astrid Race would kill him in a second, she imagined them explaining.
The other side of the coin, the part that Anneliese’s soldiers must be sharing, was that Astrid Race was a soft-hearted girl. She wouldn’t hurt Alicia, and she certainly wouldn’t hurt Charlie Ribbon.
And for a moment, she felt her knees quaking, her heart squeezing, and she wanted to do it. She wanted to surrender, call for mercy for poor Charlie Ribbon, to not make this decision. Fresh tears fell on her cheeks, but now they seemed cool, like rain on her face. She was remembering the last conversation, the last real conversation, that she had with Charlie Ribbon.
“Charlie Ribbon isn’t just some poor orphan boy with nothing to his name, that he’s still capable of great deeds.”
And what had that letter from Fred Pillory said? Charlie asks you to do something great.
They walked the distance to each other. Charlie bowed, Astrid curtseyed. He was in nothing but a white linen shirt and breeches. Astrid could see his collarbones. He gave her a long, soulful look.
We’ll prove our worth, he had said.
He was willing her to understand. “Are you sure?” she whispered.
Charlie nodded. He was so calm. “I’ve never been so sure about anything,” he told her.
He was scared. So was Astrid. But he seemed so certain. Astrid swallowed, and nodded. They would do it, together. They would end this war. Astrid wiped her face. They took a deep breath in unison.
She pivoted away from him. Another twelve steps. She took them slowly, delaying the inevitable. Genevieve’s sobs were the only sound, ripping through the air. Silently, Astrid prayed to the Goddess, that Genevieve would forgive her for what she was about to do.
We’ll prove our worth.
Charlie met her eye one more time, then he let his eyes close, and raised his arms. He was ready.
Astrid shut her own eyes, and let everything fall away. She forgot her anger with Anneliese, every feeling that Alicia had stirred up inside her. She forgot the pain of every moment leading up to this, of every moment of pain that was going to haunt her for the rest of her life. She forgot how she would never be able to look Genevieve in the eye again, that they would never understand. She let it all fall to the ground, every emotion she had ever felt until this moment gone. She was empty. Hollow. And only a hollow person could do what she was about to do.
The Gift flowed from every vein in her body, gathered in the centre of her chest, then travelled down her arms, out of the palms and fingertips of her hands. She opened her eyes, to see it hit its target.
The Gift hit Charlie Ribbon square in the chest, and he fell without a sound to the ground.

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
— Mark Twain