Young Writers Society

The Autumn Door

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Now for today's weather update:

Gramarye has gone from being a small town on the plains of the Midwest to a small city nestled in the Smoky Mountains. This will affect the tone, description, and culture of the town -- as well as how some of the characters (mainly Zelda and Jupiter) interact. It also changes the demographics up some! Look forward to seeing changes in the descriptions as I write them up.

I will continue to take open questions until July 2nd!
stay off the faerie paths

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Daaaaang I read through the entire thread, and I love this story! The fantasy vibe, focused on a sleepy town in the middle of nowhere (like SGR's Tackleford or Gravity Falls) with close contact to an otherworld, catches my attention immediately. There's so many delightful layers of mystery between the town's people and their backstories, not to mention the various courts, but you provide enough that I don't feel lost. The setting seems like a nice blend of urban and high fantasy, while the plot reminds me of two webcomics: Kill Six Billion Demons (rescuing a dude who's been dragged off to a strange and wild place, acquiring great power in the process) and Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery (magical/mythical creatures, people getting pulled into another dimension). The setup, or The Vulture Queen Nerissa kidnapping Scott Key to intentionally lead Zelda Fairchild to the Inbetween, is just as fantastic. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind me asking?

-I think the first and biggest question is, what are the stakes here? The courts are obviously powerful, and I know how the Unseelie Wake works. But, what happens when someone like Nerissa or Mothwyn seizes all the courts and/or wakes up the Lady Morgana? What kind of power could he/she tap into? I know Zelda's motives - save Scott Key - but I feel like the synopsis lacks the punch of the Queens' goals.

-How do the courts get along? I suspect the Autumn and Winter Courts aren't very friendly to each other, given that Nerissa is trying to crush Mothwyn. On the whole, the lack of access to any of the courts (save for the Autumn Court) makes it seem like they have a tense relationship.

-What's the deal with Caidred? He's part of the Unseelie Wake, but pretends to be one of the Harvest Folk, appears to be associated with Zelda, and is definitely working with a member of the Horned Hunt.

-I'd also like to ask the same about Jovian. The "...brother?" part piques my interest, as does his general creepiness. How human is he? How human is his family? Are they human, but just really linked to the magic of the Inbetween?

-The line between human and fae is pretty blurred, which I like. Iustinian renounced his heritage and became human, while the opening post hints that people can be hauled off to the Inbetween and potentially made one of the 'Other.' That raises the question of how many people in Gramarye aren't people, and how many of the fae in the Inbetween were once human.

-How quickly does Zelda realize her heritage? Does she already know? Does her father figure out she knows? I can see him going, "oh no, my daughter's about to get caught up in all the stuff I ran away from," and then trying to impede her.

Aaand some random observations:

-fff I love all the references to the King Arthur legend, especially in Avalon and Lady Morgana. The Horned King reminds me of Cernunnos, though I'm not sure if they're really linked.

-I love the pun in Iustinian's name change. He had to have changed his name to Justinian (since Roman names represented Js with Is), then simplified/Anglicized it to Justin. And Fairchild seems, uh, a bit on the nose. :P
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Silv! I'm so excited to hear you like this. c: I'll do my best to answer these to the best of my ability, but I'm on my phone in McDonald's, lol, so pardon my typos.

1- I agree, the stakes on Morgana should absolutely be in the synopsis! the Morgana plot was conceived about the same time I did the court snippets, so very recently, compared to the rest of the story. I'll take a look at editing that tonight when I get home.

As to what the stakes actually are, the reason Nerissa has been searching for Morgana so long is because she's supposedly the rightful heir to Avalon - and she will grant armies and power to the one who helps her reclaim it. Basically, she's a spin on the Sleeping King myth of Arthur and others.

Nerissa and Mothwyn both have a final goal: total control of both worlds. This becomes more evident in later stories.

2 - The courts like to pretend that the others don't exist. The summer and spring courts are content in this. The Autumn court is generally content but welcoming to outsiders. The winter court is full of meddlers and boogeymen. Generally the peace is tense, but it's peace, because the last time they warred, the Horned King schooled them.

3 - Caidred! ❤ Caidred is cursed, for one. They crossed a witch and pay the price for it. He pretends to be harvest folk mainly so he doesn't freak anyone out; he's more a gentle trickster sort than his malicious cousins. She works with Lyoth and performs across the land as a sort of light entertainer. (Doomed to change sex at random, they usually change their pronouns to go with.they're not very self conscious about it.)

4 - Jo ❤❤❤ Jo is a changeling. He has no faer powers, but instead accesses things neither faer nor human can at will. You'll find out more than that later. ;D

5 - the population of Gramarye is a mystery, though if you count, you might notice that the high school roster has a few dozen students listed who never showed up, and some who aren't listed at all.

6 - Zelda and her heritage! This gets answered in text, but it'll be a while, so: I am not yet decided! Either Justin tells her before she follows her aunt, or she finds out from Mothwyn or Nerissa. I'm not quite sure which idea I like best yet.

- The Horned King may or may not have been the Sleeping King, once, before his sister came to Avalon for the first time.

- to be fair to Justin, that's the name he first used when he was pretending to be human. Lol. He definitely didn't initially expect to stay on this side of the door.

So glad you like it!

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

1 - Cool! I've always liked the Sleeping King myth, which would help explain why this was so familiar to me. Oof, poor Lady Morgana - she's about to be caught in a conflict between two megalomaniac queens (unless this is one of those situations where she decides "why do I owe you anything" and goes on a rampage).

2 - Ahhh, I suspected as much. Sounds like the Horned King's pretty strong, then. I have to imagine he isn't too interested in the feuding of the other courts, since he's hanging out on an isolated island in the middle of a sea? I wonder if he's one of those "intervenes when necessary" types. If that were so, all Nerissa would have to do would be to cause a crisis big enough to bring him to shore, and then she could crush him with her newfound power. I mean, it's not that simple, but. XD

3 - They sound awesome! I like trickster characters, and characters confident in their identity, so a character with both is A+.

4 - Oooooooh

5 - @_@

6 - I'm leaning towards hearing it from Mothwyn/Nerissa? Her dad seems like the last person who'd tell her, and also it would be such a dramatic moment if it involved either/both queens (especially Aunt Nerissa, but I dunno if that'd stray too much into an "I am your father" moment).

- YESSSS that explains a few things

- Ehh all things considered, it seems he's made a good life for himself, so names aren't too important. xD

It's indeed a great story, given what I've seen so far; well done!
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Curious as to how the setting change impacts how Jupiter and Zelda interact!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:05 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

(Whoops, sorry, I read your thread like a week ago but couldn't come up with any good questions.)

(Now shall reread and see if I can actually find something useful to say.)

(If not, shall say something useless.)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:39 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

OKAY so I'm lame and still have no questions for you ughhh I'm so bad at this so instead I'm kind of gonna shout about things I loved reading through

YOUR DESCRIPTION ABOUT GRAMARYE WHAT EVEN like I don't even think out my settings beforehand, like, even at all??? but you have it like??? written out??? and described??? beautifully??? it sounds like the setting of The Moorchild but modern-day U.S.??? Kind of??? All Christian and faerie and feels a little Gothic???

it’s why they don’t give their names to strangers, and they always hide their emotions behind a blank slate of a smile. They don’t let their children out on solstices or equinoxes, and always keep them in arm’s reach for fear they’ll be snatched away into the Low Road—and into the Other. These people go to church on Sunday and sing their hymns, and they don’t tell their neighbors about their fears.

AND THEN THIS PART

Our Lady of Redemption on the back roads up the mountain, private and Catholic and segregated by gender. No one goes to Our Lady of Redemption. No one knows anyone who does. But cars pull in there every morning, and the Mother Superior is sometimes glimpsed buying vegetables at the farmer’s market in summertime.

WHICH PLEASES ALL MY HAPPY CATHOLIC BITS Mysterious Catholic school and a nun who comes out only to go to the farmer's market??? YES PLEASE OKAY

1000% IN LOVE WITH ALL YOUR CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS like I know the descriptions in the actual literal book will not be like this bc show don't tell and all that BUT STILL I MEAN

Harrison is a political representative of the county, and has high expectations for his son, who takes joy in dashing all of them to pieces... Scott is a goth teenager with a sensitivity to sunlight who carries a black umbrella with him everywhere he goes.

idk if Scott has a LITERAL sensitivity to sunlight or if this is a goth joke but tbh I don't even care

TAG ME PLEASE 10/10 will read the heck out of this omg

425 Reviews

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I have been absolutely out of it for the last couple of days. Sorry for not responding to y'all faster! Unfortunately one of our good friends passed away this week and the funeral was last night. We miss him dearly; he was absolutely wonderful.

I don't know how often I'll update this thread from this point forward. I've got some shorts I'm trying to write as well, and an ongoing novel project, so most likely this will only be when I think of something new.

@Rosendorn as for how it affects Zelda and Jupiter! Initially, Zelda was a skeptic in a town of skeptics. Everyone thought the Greys were just weird and distant from society.

Now she's a skeptic in a town of believers—a skeptic, because her father appears to be, and she models her beliefs after his. He's not very superstitious (or so he says), and encourages Zelda to be careful and kind to all because it's the right thing to do, not just because of morality stories and fables.

And in a town of believers, the Greys are less "that one weird family" and more "glance at them in the supermarket, never look them in the eye, don't say too many words; that son of theirs is not of this world and may bring you into the Other if you spend too much time with him". Among the believers of Gramarye, the Greys are to be placated or avoided. Jupiter mainly gets the byproduct of this treatment—discounts at the bookstore, forced pleasantries wherever she goes—and isn't very popular with the students at Alice Faye because of the preferential treatment. The children of believers tend to avoid her completely; the children of skeptics tend to be unnerved and disdainful of her. She doesn't have a lot of friends.

Basically, Zelda has gone from being passively "that Grey girl is weird" to actively "that Grey girl is weird and gets preferential treatment for it—I can't stand it". More character conflict! And changes!

Thank you so much for your feedback btw. <3 I couldn't have gotten this far without you, Rosey.

@blueafrica I'm so happy!!! I will def tag you <3 I've been so nervous because before you and Silv responded I was like ??? how do??? But I'm so glad it's coming across the right way!

Noooo lie I have no clue what I'm doing with Our Lady of Redemption right now it's probs just gonna be a cute little nod to Catholicism -- what I'm thinking is maybe at the end, they stumble onto the grounds and run into the Mother Superior, who obviously helps them back to town with a few cryptic comments of her own. But she's kind and strict and more than a little abrasive in a very polite, very Southern way if you're the Wrong Sort of People, but she's willing to broaden her idea of the Right Sort of People if you at least try to do good. She and Justin have definitely butted heads in the past (and maybe still do? I know that the majority of the town is Protestant -- Lutheran probably? I'm not comfortable writing the Southern Baptist Convention because I'm not as familiar with it as Lutheranism and Methodism -- and Justin would follow along with that).

I mean, fair credit, I was raised Lutheran as hell so that's where 99% of my Christianity comes from and it's super obvious because I have no idea how to write any type of church but ELCA and sometimes if I'm lucky Methodist. Lol. Boyfriend is a lapsed Catholic so he's where I draw most of my Catholic information -- and Christian religious history, because even though we're not into organized religion, he's fascinated by the history of the Catholic Church.

And the Christianity is a big part of the culture of Gramarye too! Especially since it's moved to the South. (For those not familiar with the Smoky Mountains, it's now around the Tennessee/North Carolina border.) The main characters themselves aren't very religious (Zelda being a skeptic and Jupiter being an outcast), but they are spiritual to an extent, and that informs their actions and interactions, especially with the religiosity of their hometown.

Also man half my character descriptions might make it into the book just because Zelda's a teenager and teenagers are fonts of endless snark >>

Scott has a mild sensitivity to sunlight lol he just used it as an excuse to go goth because he knew it would bother his dad

again I'm so glad and I'm totes gonna tag you <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I am also Catholic! Not lapsed but I describe myself as a Rogue Catholic bc I'm pro-choice and pro-LGBT/etc/etc/etc (although actually most Catholics I know are *also* that way so I'm only rogue in that a lot of it is not the official stance of the church so far). So let me know if you have questions as well, although Catholic history-wise I'm 1000% sure your boyfriend knows a lot more than I do.

Mother Superior, who obviously helps them back to town with a few cryptic comments of her own. But she's kind and strict and more than a little abrasive in a very polite, very Southern way if you're the Wrong Sort of People, but she's willing to broaden her idea of the Right Sort of People if you at least try to do good.

1000% HERE FOR CRYPTICALLY HELPFUL NUN nuns are the best no lie

Also I love how one of your main important families around town is in particular sort of considered potentially faer by the townsfolk. Like I know you mentioned it in one of the posts that the townspeople are careful about who they talk to/etc because you know never know who could be faer, but I like seeing a specific family - and characters who seem like they're going to be pretty important - who everyone seriously suspects and is a little afraid/resentful of.

425 Reviews

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I will ABSOLUTELY hit you up most likely <3 Thanks so much!

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

A note: I'm working on more setting descriptions! The Quikway and Apt 108 will be forthcoming in the next few days.

425 Reviews

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 am
Vervain says...

WHOA. I'm on my computer again.

This post is gonna be a sloppy update of descriptions. I'll include them in spoilers here, as well as edit them into their respective places in the thread.

Apartment 108
Spoiler! :
Justin Fairchild does not hide his love of floral arrangements. From the second you step into Apt 108, you’re bombarded by the sights and smells of Flower Hell with an open floor plan. The living room and kitchen overflow with arrangements, some of them work-related, others for fun. Perfumed wreaths of preserved buds hang on each closed door.

The kitchen is so full of flowers, floral supplies, and flower food that it can hardly be used to make human food. Mostly it’s instant or frozen food that’s heated up in the microwave nestled under an overbearing bouquet of roses.

None of Justin’s flowers ever seem to die—he keeps them just watered enough, he says, or feeds them the right mix of ingredients—but Zelda has never seen these ingredients, except for the bone meal. Monday he collects the bones from the farmers and butchers around town and freezes them; Sunday he enlists Zelda’s help in crushing them into a fine dust for fertilizer.

The living room is more for arranging than living. The couch is full of flower pins and no one wise ever sits on it; Zelda and her friends prefer the coffee table or, more often than not, the safety of her room. (It doesn’t help that Justin tries to interact with her friends every time they come over—including many failed attempts to make cookies.) The recliner is white leather and well-maintained, with dark smudges where Justin usually sits and rests his elbows on the arms while he pins and ties arrangements.

The TV is always running on the same local news channel. No one really watches it; it’s more for background noise than anything.

There are four rooms on the back hall: the master suite on the first left, Zelda’s room on the second right, the guest bathroom on the first right, and the laundry nook by the water heater on the second left. From the laundry nook, with the door closed, you can almost hear a conversation going on in the living room.

-

Zelda’s bedroom is its own beast. If Justin has his flowers, Zelda has her found things.

Her father builds shelves as quickly as she fills them. One shelf is dedicated to her cameras of hobby past; for her twelfth birthday, she’d asked for a cork board to pin her photos on. Justin one-upped himself and installed a board that takes up half the wall opposite her shelves, now full of pinned photographs -- mainly of leaves, but some of Zelda and her friends, and some of weather events around town. Mainly fog.

Most of the shelving is filled to the brim with stuff. Notebooks and three-ring binders from ninth grade; track and field awards; some gadgets she got as presents from distant family.

Her bed and desk are squeezed in together on her outward-facing wall. The window casts light into her room in the evenings, which means she spends most of the afternoon in the living room on her laptop. Especially in the summertime, when she has nothing better to do.

The bed is a mess all its own—dirty clothes, unmade sheets, a pile of comforters from wintertime in one corner, and about six pillows.

The desk is kept bare except for her laptop, the charger for said laptop, and a single framed picture of her parents, together, smiling.

The floor is clear enough to walk through, but the closer to the closet you go, the more found things there are—a box of marbles found in parking lots (marbles found indoors have their own); a smaller cork board, this one covered in glass, with a few butterflies found in the creek behind the apartment complex (all their scales and color washed away by the water); a small garden of cedar sprigs (it repels bugs, Zelda rationalizes when her dad asks why she’s bringing sticks into the house); boxes of other things that don’t have homes yet.

In the closet, she has thirteen left shoes, only nine of which are her size, and fourteen right, eight of which fit. All her clothes are her own—any found clothing is donated to the nearest charity center. She doesn’t want to be implicated in a murder or anything.

Maybe that’s why she leaves the knife she found in the forest on her desk, too. It’s a beautiful knife, with swirling decorations that seem almost otherworldly. Sitting next to the picture of her parents, it looks like it belongs.

Maybe that’s why she hides it whenever Justin comes into her room.

The Grey House (WIP)
Spoiler! :
At the end of Old Salem Road stands Frankenstein’s dollhouse. A hundred feet down from the house is a sign, painted wood, reading:

DO YOU KNOW YOUR FUTURE?
TAROT ⸙ CHIROMANCY ⸙ HOROLOGY
DAME JULISSA GREY

(It is, indeed, meant to say ‘horology’ and not ‘horoscopes’—Julissa prefers to study time in a natural sense, rather than bludgeon her way through with clumsy human methods of interpreting it.)

A mishmash of different styles, time periods, and cultures, the Grey House looks like it’s been cobbled together over hundreds of years and tens of thousands of miles—a colonial facade greets the casual viewer, while a stone medieval tower roofed in Gothic turrets twists up the left; a Victorian greenhouse juts out to the right; a spacious, flat garden paved in sandstone walkways stretches out behind it, a circular reflecting pool at its center.

The garden gives way to a vast half-dead lawn that ends abruptly at Salem Creek. The other side of the water is dense with dark forest.

The interior is almost as chaotic as the exterior.

The sitting room is perfectly maintained—the only room in the house with more than two pieces of matching furniture. This is where Julissa does her business. Lots of curtains over the windows to cast different shades of sunlight onto the table; a crystal ball poised carefully on a three-footed wooden pedestal on the coffee table; furniture all in shades of wine and mahogany to give the impression of someone serious. Someone who knows what she’s doing.

Past the sitting room is the living room, which is very much lived-in. This coffee table is strewn with Wendrick’s papers to be graded, Jovian’s homework, Jupiter’s research projects from last year (or the year before; she’s lost track), and anything else that winds up there.

In the middle of it all float pages-long guidelines with long, title-case headers printed on an old-style press: On The Uses Of Common Foxglove; The Proper Maintenance Of A Scrying-Bowl; To Interpret Whispers From The Beyond; To Ignore Whispers From The Beyond; To Entertain A Faerie.

These are the textbooks of the Grey house. Grades in school are good, but not everything, so long as you know how to tell the difference between all the nineteen Western tricksters should they come knocking at your door, how to safely welcome a vampire into your home, or how to operate the Door Of Many Doors at the end of the hall, next to the guest bathroom.

Upstairs are the bedrooms—Jupiter’s closest to the stairs, next to the computer room; Jovian’s at the end of the hall, overlooking the family cemetery—the two-story library, and their father’s workroom. Their mother’s workroom is in the basement, where vibrations from the house can’t destroy her careful balancing act or her minuscule shave of clockwork parts. The children are not to enter either workroom without express permission or for emergencies.

Julissa often pulls her children out of school (often enough to have a truancy officer on their tail) to educate them in the arts of magic. Such things as can only be done once a year, at a solstice or equinox or other special night—or during a total solar eclipse—or in the middle of the day on a Wednesday, because she had a house-call to make and it was convenient to bring her children along. By the time they reach teenagerhood, the Grey children have been to more countries than most American adults know exist.

They have never been Beyond, or to what their mother calls the Other—the Inbetween. Not quite Beyond, but not Here, either.

Jovian gets quiet when their mother talks about ley lines, corpse roads, and the Low Road (and how they’re all the same thing). Jupiter pretends not to know that the reflection pool is over the strongest point of the ley line passing through the Smokies. She pretends not to notice him coming into the house soaking wet on a perfectly dry and sunny day.

Instead, she buries herself in books and devotes herself to studying the magic of this world: the magic of attraction and loss, here and now, far and gone. Nothing is linear so much as it is planar, and everything is tied to everything else; you need only look at it the right way.

The reflection pool is tied to lost things—Jovian, and others.

Jupiter’s room is a perfectly-contained catalog of things she’s found on the side of the pool. Dated and organized and everything in its place: A butterfly missing its right wing; five right shoes, six left, all of different brands and styles; a spray of juniper (“I almost named you Juniper,” her mother opined when she brought that in); and most recently, a small leather sheath embossed with natural swirls and decorations that seem to change whenever she looks at them. Something about touching it makes her feel anxious and apprehensive—it feels wrong.

Maybe that’s why she hides it away from everything else, where she doesn’t have to think about it.

425 Reviews

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:42 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Another quick and messy update! Some interesting tidbits I want to remember, and there's no neat way to write them down without making a mess so:

Don't Forget To Stab Someone. Zelda's and Jupiter's combined knife has turned into a folding vendetta knife—kind of like a switchblade. Zelda has the blade and Jupiter has the handle. Zelda can't hurt others without hurting herself; Jupiter can't hurt others but can't hurt herself. May my wound be mortal.

Zelda in general is not good with people. Scott's really her only close friend. She competes hardcore with the other girls in track and field (including Jupiter) and comes across brusque and harsh to other kids in her grade. She's unerringly critical of almost everything, which feeds into her skeptic nature. So when Scott goes missing, that's like, half of her world that's gone. Of course she's going to go after the person who tolerates her most.

She doesn't really know how to say "sorry" with words. She has a hard time admitting that she did anything wrong. She assumes that what she means comes across clearly in what she does, and if anyone else misunderstands, that's their fault, not hers.

When pressed, she does have one way to say sorry: with hyacinths.

Scott is trying his hardest but it's often not enough. He's not the smartest kid in his grade, by no fault of his own. While his actions are carefully calculated to shatter his dad's dreams, he doesn't want to destroy his whole future or disappoint his mom—he's something of a mama's boy, so if she asks, he'll do it. He's also an only child, so he has to behave at home or else his parents will cut him off from his friends. He's not afraid of them in public, but at home, they rule supreme.

While he considers Zelda his best friend, he gets along okay with most of the other kids in his classes, too. He's friendly and doesn't tend to mess up the whole social-interaction part of things. Scott is Zelda's liaison between herself and the rest of the world.

He gets kidnapped by Nerissa's goblyns while disobeying his parents—skipping a family dinner to meet up with Zelda.

The Dreaming Pool is Nerissa's favorite toy. Toss someone in and they won't wake up for years. Even when you come out, every time you close your eyes you'll feel the waters lapping against your skin. It's enough to cause insomnia.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm
BluesClues says...

Omg okay I know you described Justin and Zelda's family earlier as kind of weird/outcasts/who-knows-maybe-they're-faer and I think I remember Justin in particular being kind of like creepy/no one is sure about him but he's OFFICIALLY ADORABLE thanks to "Flower Hell," 10/10 would have a house entirely choked with flowers.

Also 100% love this about the Grey House

Grades in school are good, but not everything, so long as you know how to tell the difference between all the nineteen Western tricksters should they come knocking at your door, how to safely welcome a vampire into your home, or how to operate the Door Of Many Doors at the end of the hall, next to the guest bathroom.

ALSO the sheath goes to the knife, doesn't it??? I'm so intrigued about both of them and how they'll bring Jupiter and Zelda together, as they undoubtedly must.

So when Scott goes missing, that's like, half of her world that's gone. Of course she's going to go after the person who tolerates her most.

She doesn't really know how to say "sorry" with words. She has a hard time admitting that she did anything wrong. She assumes that what she means comes across clearly in what she does, and if anyone else misunderstands, that's their fault, not hers.

When pressed, she does have one way to say sorry: with hyacinths.

I officially love Zelda already, she's 100% "looks like they could kill you but actually a cinnamon roll" and you'll never change my mind. I'm SUCH a sucker for characters who are tough and skeptical and hard and brusque but also secretly a bit softies totally not related to my resident teen girl character AT ALL

oh my God I'm so hecking excited for this story.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:03 pm
BluesClues says...

OH YES and the hyacinths??? How??? Does she just suddenly hand you some if she's sorry, or???????? I WANNA KNOW AND I WANNA KNOW NOW but also if you make me wait to find out during the story that's fine

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson