z

Young Writers Society

Writing horror fantasy?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm
Love says...

Heya :)

Basically, I'm interested in writing a horror fantasy novel that's been on my mind a bit. I'm developing it now, and I thought it'd be cool to start a discussion :)

So, a few questions:

1. Did you ever read a horror fantasy book? As in, a fantasy setting, but with a dark mood and a horror feel. What did you think of it?
2. We tend to relate to what's familiar, which is why most horror is set in a familiar environment. Is there any way to beat that, and still write a relatable horror fantasy story? Do you think a more modern setting would help? As in, mansions and pistols instead of castles and swords.
3. How would one achieve the right tone? Should there be a mix of fantasy and horror wording? Maybe Lovecraftian wording (archaic) to make it feel more realistic?
4. Any things to avoid?

Hopefully it'd be fun to discuss! Any thoughts? :)
I was Amareth :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

1- There's lots. Seanan McGuire as Mira Grant also just recently wrote a horror novel involving mermaids (Into the Drowning Deep), and as herself she wrote a gothic-esque mystery with a massive creepy feel (Wayward Children). Stephen King has a lot of modern settings with magic, or otherworldly elements. There's also gothic horror as a whole, which uses the otherworldly to create fear.

The genre is very well populated— you just have to know where to look! Also, many of these novels are slotted into either fantasy or horror, even though they use elements of both.

2- "Fantasy" as a genre is "there is magic", and "horror" as a genre is "it's scary." Fantasy isn't just castles! That is specifically the heroic and high fantasy genres, but fantasy can be in any setting, just like horror.

3- Read, read, read. Then rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. You'll be at this for multiple drafts! Play around with whatever works for you, and whatever works for your reviewers.

4- Overthinking.

You're already doing a lot of overthinking, because right now your definitions of both horror and fantasy are very limited, and that's stifling. You have to remember genres are primarily a marketing convention, which means they're best thrown out during the writing process.

Horror comes in plain language (Stephen King, with his quote "the road to hell is paved with adverbs"). Horror comes in archaic language (gothic, mostly because it was written over a century ago). Fantasy comes in modern on-earth settings (for example, Raven Boys— my current read). Fantasy comes in castle format (the most popular version of it). Fantasy comes in modern not-earth settings (Fullmetal Alchemist).

Write the story you want to tell. Write what interests you. Don't try to be somebody else because you think that's the way to write— there are no rules! Genres are made up to sell books, not to inform every choice of your writing. There's as much variety within a genre as there are books in a genre, so don't be limited to any checklist of what you think a genre's book should be.

Just write. Then rewrite. And sprinkle that time in with consuming media of the genre(s). Everything else will fall into place.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm writing a kind of fantasy horror steampunk book - except it can just be called Gothic at that point of multiple genres!

Genre bending is a good thing. I don't read horror but I love when books make me feel unexpected things. Try Radiance by Catherynne M Valente for an idea of menace even within the sci fi genre.

My own story is set in a forgotten mansion in the forest. You just need to choose something that speaks to you. If that's modern day gangsters go for it! If it's dark knights go for it!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria