z

Young Writers Society

Favorite Thing to Write?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Color me curious. What parts of a story do you like writing most? Why? What do you think you're best at?

Characters or plot? Plot or intrigue? Intrigue or foreshadowing? Foreshadowing or description?

What kinds of scenes do you like? Chill, quiet scenes? Tense scenes? Conflict-driven scenes? Emotional scenes?
stay off the faerie paths

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 pm
View Likes
inktopus says...

I love writing scenes with lots of character interaction. Super emotional scenes are the best!
insert profound quote here

Formerly Stormcloud

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I love writing scenes with a lot of action and tension - be it an emotional or physical fight, I find it really fun to pit characters against each other and see how they fare. I also really like dialogue in general, especially with my characters who have strong personalities.

I also love goofy banter, and letting funny characters play off of each other and their circumstances. Just cause, I mean, I'd like to think I'm funny?? Lol, so I get to joke around haha.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

All of the above?? :D

I love writing first scenes and last scenes. Swoopy/mushy romantic scenes are probably my favorite - like the kind when they realize they like/love each other, or they get super vulnerable, or share a first kiss/first touch that's full of butterflies and feelings. (I'm feeling all mushy just thinking about it :p)

I love writing characters - especially introspection and dialogue.

I love sprinkling in foreshadowing or Easter eggs.

(i always have to force myself to go back and add description. blegh. description. my nemesis :p)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I love writing my "key scenes." When I start thinking about and planning a story, my very first ideas are almost always one or two key scenes with powerful plot/character moments (usually the climax or the midpoint of the story). I picture that scene in my head and build the whole rest of the novel around it. And when I finally get there, it's seriously awesome to see how everything has come together.

I also love scenes where my characters just work, where they bounce off of each other in interesting ways and their dialogue flows naturally. I'm not great at characters, so this is somewhat rare. I also like (though this is something I can only do in 2nd drafts and later) creating the atmosphere of a scene with setting description and tone. To me it makes my world and my story come alive, and I read it back and get chills.

I don't think I'm that great at any one part of writing a story - it takes me a long time to settle into a story and actually start writing it well, no matter how much planning I do. But hey, I'm getting better!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Lariene what are YOUR favorite things to write?
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 am
View Likes
Kanome says...

I do better at plot making and character development.
Emotional and dramatic scenes are my best forte.
Sometimes, I do well at doing plot twist depending what I am writing.
PROTECTOR OF LIGHT
Knight of the Green Room

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:41 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

I'm not sure what I'm good at, but I like writing comedy scenes (even if I probably suck at them).
I do enjoy descriptive stuff and mysterious things equally as much, too.
I am told my descriptions are pretty good. :3
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

@soundofmind To be honest, I'm not sure!

I like character driven scenes though. Most of my plots are character driven so I have a lot of opportunity to write these kinds of scenes. I also like working description in here and there, and establishing ambiguous emotions of other characters in 3rd person limited.

I also really like scenes and characters with hidden motives. So Character A seems like a good guy, but he's actually hunting the secrets of immortal life and would put everything on the line for that. Or Character Z is strict and unyielding but that's because she has a plan she hasn't revealed or is acting in someone else's best interests.

I also enjoy behind the scenes writing - setting up stuff, like A's motive or Z's secret plan, that the reader won't know about until much much later because the MC isn't aware of it. Or they might never learn about it at all, like a war between kingdoms outside their own, but it informs the way another character acts.

Stuff like that.
stay off the faerie paths

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

I like writing outlines and backstory! For one of my short stories, I had about one thousand words of notes. The notes really help me immerse myself into the story. It's also fun to see what actually ends up making it into the story and what I have to leave on the cutting room floor.

I think I enjoy coming up with characters over plot! It's fun to sit down and figure out someone's backstory. It's like creating a Sim but even better. I need a plot outline before I can start writing, but the plot is usually subject to change while my characters tend to mostly stay the same.

Writing introductions scenes is great for me. Building a good atmosphere in the beginning is key for getting my reader to understand the tone of the world and the plot. It's incredibly fun to set up the characters and the foreshadowing while wondering if I succeeded in my goal of immersion.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Hurt/comfort. Emphasis on comfort.

There's something remarkably soothing about writing a deeply impactful event that hurts a lot, and writing the comfort that happens after that. Writing the pain being made okay after it happens. Writing the pain is fun, sure, don't get me wrong, but writing the recovery from that pain is in a lot of ways why I write.

My pacing balance ends up thrown far far far into the "too slow" direction because I often spend too long on that portion of the plot and not enough moving it forward, but that's what editing is for.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch