z

Young Writers Society

Writer Club for Boarding School

Reviews: 1
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:52 pm
tristovee says...

Good Night everyone!

I knew this is so mad, but I thought if there is A good idea then there shall be good solution.

I just want to establish the club/class for my school but I didnt find good mentor or teacher nearby to teach my friends writing lesson. They wanted to be fiction writer but they need to learn. Thats why I will take online course for my friends( especially for my roomates). Any good idea for establishment?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hm...this could be a good idea, but I think you would need to find a teacher willing to sponsor/advise the club and define what the aim of this club is.

In my school (granted, this was a large public school and not a boarding school, so I don't know what would be different in a boarding school), you could start a club if you had interested students and a teacher willing to serve as advisor. Any English teachers at your school would be a good place to start. The teacher might be more willing to do this if the activities are more student-run (say, peer discussion of writing as opposed to having the teacher teach something after school). Before you do all this, though, I would make sure there isn't already some sort of writing club. I know my school had one where we could share our writing and get feedback.

You'll also probably have to draft some sort of "constitution" document outlining the goals of the club, how the executive board would be chosen, and other details the school might need (the faculty advisor and/or administrators could give you more info on this).

Other possible resources outside of a school club
-The local library. Mine had teen book clubs and also a "Teen Advisory Board" where we could help plan library activities (though if my memory serves me correctly, we mostly ate pizza and goofed around haha)
-Online courses for something more structured. I know Coursera has tons of free online courses. I did one about songwriting and I enrolled in a couple others but never finished haha. I think you have to be at least 18 for Coursera though, but there might be others that don't have an age restriction.
-Local community colleges. I took a bunch of weekend classes in various subjects in elementary/middle school. If you're advanced enough in your studies, many high schools do dual enrollment with nearby schools where you could take college courses and earn college credit.
-In a similar vein, you might also be able to do summer programs at a college or through an online school. You could research these on your own or ask your guidance counselor if they know of any such programs focused on writing.

Hope this helps!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:04 pm
tristovee says...

Nice Advice, I thought I can use coursera. But can I use the online course with one projector/pc. Or maybe I should make new LAN server so every computer under my watch(Ha ha just like north korean intranet). The main point now is how to teach 1 class under my eyes... I knew there are many cheats using the laptop. May for watching #something strange or downloading youtube. Maybe I can istall the Skypee

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@tristovee, my school actually has a writing club, so I can hopefully give you some helpful advice!

It's a literary magazine, though art can also be submitted to it. It's led by one of our school's English teachers. We run different events - movie nights, game nights and open mics - to fundraise. Over the course of the year, we also submit stories to an email set up by the club, but I'm sure you could turn in handwritten copies as well. Sometimes we have after school writing workshops, but those happen closer to the end for the submission dates. We accept poetry and short stories. After all submissions are in, we vote on which ones should be published. (The authors are anonymous at that point.) Once they are chosen, we go through and edit them. The funds we raised earlier in the year go towards publishing a booklet containing our works. At the very end of the year, we hold an open mic where we share what we submitted and wrote over the course of the year.

While this might not be exactly what you're trying to start, having a writing club through the school can help you start a love of writing in your school community. I'm not sure how clubs or classes work in your school, but my school district has heads of each department. I would go to the head of your language department and present your idea for a writing group to them. I'm sure they'd be happy to inspire a love for fiction in their school.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:04 am
tristovee says...

[quote="saentiel"]

Response : Good idea! It could make the club have more activities to do. Nice answer. But I decided to produce the card game with the theme : Countinue this story. (For reference see "Alkisah Board Game"). So I can collect more money for the club and motivate the students to make the story together.

Not a bad idea, eh?

Peace from indonesia

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:15 am
tristovee says...

2 years have passed since I gave the proposal to the headmaster, but I can see the changes greater than before.

Trensains Writer Organization (T.W.O) now decided to have blogs to publish their stories, poetry and school's activities while the wikia (still using Fandom) will be used to store references and researches about Islamic Science and Religion through Modern Age.

I reaaaaly say thanks a million for any support and hints to build my (first step) dream in my uncle's boarding school. Any criticsm and new ideas are accepted.

This year TWO will get me as parti. in Goi Peace essay contest. I just still rely on old ways, typewriter and post office (I paid the taxes too).

BTW, I will say, "There is no bad place to live. We got all place good to change."

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham