z

Young Writers Society

Project constellation

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

So I've had this idea around my head for a while now, but it feels a bit flat at the moment. I'm open to new ideas, brainstorming, or just even, how interested people are in terms of reading stories like this.

The general idea is basically this:

It's a collection of short stories based off the twelve constellations in the sky. Virgo, Gemini, Cancer etc... I want to take the Greek Myths or the general association people have with these constellations and incorporate it into a mixture of slice of life / fantasy shorts that explore mostly human relationships (romance, platonic, etc) and identity.

For example (and this is barely developed): For Gemini, I wanted to take the idea of the twins, of the two brothers Castor and Pollux and the narration would basically track a slow drift and separation between the two. From once, brothers who understood each other intuitively to the estranged state they might now be in (or something like that).

I've also thought about ditching that more serious tone about it, and doing something that's more adventurous and fantasy-based but I'm kinda stuck there too.

Any and all feedback and ideas are welcome, and thanks for taking your time to read this. C:
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Personally I'm a huge fan of short stories based around relationships. It's the ability to see, just for a brief glimpse, into the life of someone else. Although I've seen a lot of fiction based around that (I say this based on a vague recollection of my travels through library anthologies), but the only time I've seen this done with fantasy is in comic book shorts. It would be really interesting to see it done in literature, so the idea sounds really cool.

The difficult thing about writing fantasy short stories is that you have to be very economical and precise about your worldbuilding, because you don't have much time to really go into it but you still need a sense of place. Having a collection of short stories based in the same world would be really cool, because you would be able to build on that world with every story.

Basing a collection of stories on the astrology signs is not particularly unique but that's not to say it's a bad thing. Like myths and tropes it's an ageless skeleton that you can weave any story around as long as you don't hang too closely to the pure concept of it. The thing I'm most interested in is which relationships you will assign to which constellation, and whether the fantasy elements will also be connected to them, because that would be pretty awesome if they were!

I'd say go for it. This sounds like a fun project =D
We were born to be amazing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Here's a secret: every idea starts off flat. You develop the depth by writing it, not thinking about it. A critique partner helps a lot to bounce ideas off of, but all the talking about it in the world won't make your first or second draft feel any less awkward.

Let the ideas roll out and write them where they'll go. It'll feel terrible, and rough, and not as good as it could be. Acknowledge these feelings, write down things that could be better in another document, and move on to the next thing.

If you want some prompting questions to get creativity going, try:

- What would be really super cool to write?
- What interests me?
- How, exactly, would the theme of the constellation play out?
- What element of fantasy would let me develop that theme to the fullest?
- What elements of Greek Myth would let me develop that theme to the fullest?
- What events highlight the theme the most? (remember, short stories are usually either snippets of events, or one single event, so choose wisely)
- Is there an overreaching theme to the project I want to get across?
--- if yes, what element/event will highlight that overreaching theme?
- What kind of ending do I want for each story?
- Is this meant to be a grab bag of happy and sad, or is everything tragic?
- What issues do I want to explore personally? (nothing wrong with working through your own issues re: whatever in fiction)
- What feel do I want to have writing this?
- What feel do I want readers to have?

Hope those help!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 pm
View Likes
neptune says...

I would love to read this if it does get written. I’m personally a fan of short stories and your ideas sound really interesting!
you can request a review here!
Check out Squills!

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

This is a bit late and I wonder why I missed this topic... Anyway.

I seriously think this is a great idea! I love anything to do with the constellations, and am intrigued with the story behind each one, so I'll surely be excited to read these short stories.

I don't think the feeling that it's flat is a concern, to be honest. If you feel like you want and can write it, do it! Often, what I expect from doing something differs from the result of doing it, so there's no guarantee these stories come out as flat too. Perhaps it's just in your head. Perhaps we readers would thirst for them as if they're nectar. c:

I prefer the fantasy version, of course, because the constellations seem to be based on fantasy, in my opinion, but hey, sometimes some slice of life can be good too (Our Happy Time is one of my favourite books). I think it goes down to whichever that suits you more. If you feel like you can handle this better using a serious, realistic setting, then go for it! If you think fantasy's better, I can't stop you. c;

Anyway, good luck! Hope you continue with this project. :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Reviews: 4
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm
View Likes
belvedere says...

There's definitely a lot of interest in reading it! As for the ideas you've mentioned, from fantasy to slice of life, weighty topics to adventure, I've always found it interesting when writers quilt together a collection of eclectic genres (and textures). Of course, that depends on whether you prefer something congruent, or more experimental :^)

I once saw a similar sort of collection (based on astrological signs, I mean) that toyed with varying formats (text conversation, screenplay, prose, poetry), but it was exploring a general theme through the identities of the constellations from an astrological perspective. Perhaps you could try out a few shades and genres, and see which fit naturally with a particular constellation? Personally, I love both the potential of mythology/fantasy and a more modern spin. Or you might even try a bridging of worlds, with ghosts of each superimposed over the other, or a fairytale sort of mysticism, or horror?

Sometimes, I wonder if that feeling of 'flatness' might be a product of both the unfleshed, yet formless idea (unless you're in a different situation), as well as of a commotion of dizzying possibilities, resulting in an umbrella notion that can't quite stretch out its legs in any one direction and thus appears to lack depth. The use of stars and myths isn't new, sure, but every reanimation or reinterpretation breathes new life as well.

Anyway! I'm very much fascinated by both your subject matter and the paths you're considering, so I really hope we get to see some of it!

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Apricity says...

Heyo, if you guys are interested in reading this.

Gemini // Ex Libris - pt.1

The first part to the first story is out! (And yes, reviews are always appreciated, go shred it. I'll love you forever.)
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia