z

Young Writers Society

Greyfell and Harper

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Feltrix says...

So, this is really the bare bones of a novel that I'm considering writing, but I've got the basic premise out, so here goes.

The novel is a mystery (I think it's around modern day. Not sure yet. Like I said, bare bones) set in either London or New York. The main character is a detective named *Insert first name here (I'm thinking James, but not sure)* Greyfell, nicknamed Grey. Grey is very intelligent and eccentric in the extreme. He only solves murders, and he's the best at what he does. However, Grey has a secret that gives him an edge over the competition: when touching a victim's body, he can experience the last few minutes/seconds of their life. In some cases, this can show him exactly who the murderer is, but in all cases, it gives him a huge advantage. Grey would be a skilled detective without his abilities, but his abilities make him peerless. Erin Harper is the other main character, and I know a lot less about her. She's probably quite sarcastic. She is the one who tests evidence for Grey. Grey looks down on this part of detective work, but is sometimes forced to acknowledge that it is essential. The only thing I know about the villain so far is that he/she/they is/are at least as intelligent as Grey and knows what Grey can do. I don't know how Grey has his abilities.

So, that's what I've got so far. I will undoubtedly get a more clear understanding of what the book will be like as I devote more time into thinking about it. Right now, I'm tied up with school, extra-curricular stuff, and the Myriad. Anyway, thoughts, critiques, and suggestions are welcome!
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm
Kale says...

This sounds interesting and very promising. I'd be interested in seeing how things turn out.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm
Megrim says...

That sounds really cool! And wow it reminds me so much of a book I was looking at in Barnes & Noble. I have no idea what it was called--I was just pulling books down at random to look at openings and blurbs--but it was about this detective who had this one extra uncanny ability: he could tell if people were already dead or not.

Anyway, I think the most important thing will be to have a super tough villain, someone who can give Grey a true run for his money. One thing that other book had was multiple plots going on at once. Like, they had to deal with this Important Thing to do with a new case, but the serial killer he'd been chasing forever resurfaced at about the same time, and it was kind of like he had to deal with both going on at once, and then the serial killer also started targeting him. So like, lots of subplots, and a suspicious partner too.

Can't wait to see where you take it.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 pm
Feltrix says...

Thank you both for your help!
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero