z

Young Writers Society

shallow life

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:17 am
ChocoDanish says...

i'm having trouble with my story. mostly describing things. How do I describe magical transformation? https://www.google.com/search?q=sailor+moon+transformation&oq=sa&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j69i61l2j69i59j0.5564j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
i'm nice most of the time but i'm no saint

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:31 am
View Likes
BookplanPro says...

It might help if you could post what you've written so far to get some critique on it. Off the top of my head though:

The reference you've got is very visual, and very effects-heavy at that. There's a lot of flashes and little sparkles and camera moves. All of that is not only hard to describe in writing, it also doesn't have the same visceral effect it has in a visual medium such as TV.

The thing about these effects is that they 'feel' interesting to the viewer, so rather than trying to describe the effect it might be worth describing the feeling they are meant to convey. You know, cut out the middle man?

TV:
Flashy effects -> audience feels energy, intensity, change

The long way around in writing:
Description of effect -> audience imagines effect -> audience feels energy, intensity, change

You could rather do:
Describe effect of energy, intensity, change on character -> audience feels it directly

So rather than trying to give a visual description of the effect by writing about flashes and sparkles you could talk about energy coursing through the character's veins, or how their muscles tense and their mind fills with power. If that makes sense. Try to imagine how you would feel going through that transformation, how your body would react, and write about that.

Again, it would help if you've got some examples of what you've written so we can give some better feedback. I know it's hard to post something you're having trouble with but constructive feedback is awesome and everyone here will be more than happy to help you out :)
I wrote a writing app! Bookplan Pro

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:57 am
ChocoDanish says...

thx
i'm nice most of the time but i'm no saint

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
— Mark Twain