z

Young Writers Society

The Realm of Lousy Characters - Short Story Idea

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:02 pm
View Likes
ajruby12 says...

Hey-yo, all y'all peeps! So I had an idea for a series of comedic short stories. (Kinda more like a little world of different characters) Here's my idea

The Realm of Lousy Characters

We have all seen the good characters: well-crafted, heroic or villainous creations of an author's genius. Every detail of their characteristics smells of imagination and creativity; even their appearance is fascinating. They are the epitome of dynamic characters, with such depth that they could combat the Mariana trench. They've had enough fan fiction written about them to fill a bookcase.

But what about the bad characters? Characteristics haphazardly thrown together, like a really poorly done patchwork quilt. They are shallow and practically the definition of clique. How many times have they heard “Well, I guess this will work...” from the mouths of the authors they trusted so? They had great ambitions of being the star in a great fantastical world or a hero in a grand quest. They dreamed of being that dark-cloaked villain with the evil laugh that sends shivers running down the spines of any who hears their name. Instead, they find themselves playing a character that would barely get cast as the walk-on tree in a school play.

These atrocious characters are gathering for a council, trying to determine how they can possibly make themselves into something great. How will they shed their stereotypical nature and become the characters of legend? Can they possibly stop the consistent bullying and hateful comments from those that mock the horrific nature of their characteristics? How can they save face and revolt against the lazy and unimaginative authors? Will they ever be free from the burdens of poorly-crafted ideas? As they gather together for an urgent meeting, perhaps some ideas will present themselves.

Come delve into the lives of the unlucky and unfortunate. This is the realm of Lousy Characters.

(I think this could even be made into a storybook, but I don't know if I would be able to make one...)

EDIT: Here are two potential characters:

- Sheerluck Holmes: a detective that tries to do things himself, but practically everything he does is by luck only. He has no investigating skills, but somehow every single shady character makes a painfully obvious mistake and gets arrested, or just turns themselves in

- Megaman: a superhero that has virtually every single superpower known in the entire universe. He defeated all the villains in under a day and now he has literally nothing to do. No bad guys even think to do anything, and everyone hates him because he's literally the most powerful person on the planet
Last edited by ajruby12 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:48 pm
ThemagicalEbonyFox says...

Sounds interesting. :)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm
Mageheart says...

This sounds really interesting! You should definitely make it a storybook!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 am
Laurenlovely says...

The characters sound hilarious, Sheerluck Holmes?? Lol, that name though. Please make something out of this, and if you have already, send me a link :D

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:30 am
ajruby12 says...

@Laurenlovely, I already got an intro up (in two parts)! Here are the links

The Realm of Lousy Characters, Intro Part 1

The Realm of Lousy Characters, Intro Part 2

(And yes, Sheerluck Holmes is one of my faves so far)
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:25 am
Laurenlovely says...

Thank you so much!!!!

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 am
View Likes
Radrook says...

That description drew my interest immediately. Maybe because I have a tendency toward writing such types of stories where the main characters are somewhat clumsy and seem to get themselves in all types of trouble that normal people would easily avoid with common sense. I am especially drawn to the Sheerluck Holmes one. But as you know, having an idea and making it into a story are two entirely different things. It's like having an idea for a musical composition. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon